Author Topic: The Transfer Window Starts to Close  (Read 6146 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
The Transfer Window Starts to Close
« on: August 25, 2004, 08:20:16 pm »
We've now brought five new faces into the squad over the summer and lost a few too, most notably the player who has consistently led our attack in recent years. A couple of youngsters have already been given a go (even if it is beyond me how Potter has suddenly gone ahead of Welsh in the midfield reckoning) and generally things are beginning to look quite bright.

Rafa has been enthused about as a coach who starts from the back and whilst I am far from being in a position to question him, I must admit to being almost amazed that we have started the season without a new central defender amongst the ranks. As comfortable as Jamie has looked in the position, I do think there are testing times ahead for him, and the team, if he is to remain there all season. Sami has looked less convincing, and Steph fast approaching the end of his contract has looked anything but.

Houllier had tried to buy a central defender on at least two occassions and I will not be surprised if one arrives before Tuesday, maybe one that is currently at the Olympics. I think that if we are going to challenge this season, and I know, inside me, that it is far more likely to be a season for consolidation and re-building, then we must strengthen before the deadline.

The midfield is an unknown quantity to me and I think most others (Rafa aside). I think that he will look to get more quality from Stevey and built on that with the talents that he now has at his disposal. Surely, surely, surely Harry is going to settle down and give us some of the quality that had every Tom, Dick n Archie creaming their kecks last summer at his signing.

Up front is a different scenario. Whilst Rafa has praised the current incumbants I think it is our biggest problem for the season ahead. Cisse remains an unknown quantity, and for his undoubted ability, he is still a young player in a strange country and it won't happen overnight. The fact that he is deprived of a natural partner to ease him in will only make matters more difficult.

As I have been for three years, I remain completely unconvinced of Milan's ability to be a top class striker, even more so a top class partner for Djibril. He's more likely to be a high quality understudy and alternative to the said. As a partnership I fear that at the moment neither has the required guile to bring the best out of the other. All of the above and probably more is true of FSP, and even at his best he still appears to snatch at things in front of goal. He may go on to be a truly top class player but I must admit that I doubt he has much to contribute for the season ahead.

This leaves Beni with a big headache. If he chooses to go with one striker, the miserable bastards who populate our stadium will see it as a negative step, regardless of the positives. If he brings in another striker, he will have to do so quickly and haste is not usually the best policy. To wait until January may be too late for this season, going now he would be unlikely to get the striker that he wants or needs.

It is the question of how to take the game to the opposition (and again I'm far from convinced that Milan can successfully do this against the packed defences that occupy Anfield) which will make or break the season. We have midfielders more than adept at carrying the game, perhaps more so than the forwards, and I wouldn't be surprised if we go for one out-and-out striker supported by one or two attacking midfielders come linkmen - it may be the solution. Even at this early stage I feel that the combination of Milan and Cisse will not be strong enough to see us challenge, so I feel it may be a case of one or the other. If we were to go with the two, the back up of Flo alone worries me further.

We need more strength in depth and whilst I generally would not be in favour of the type of wholesale change we have already implemented, I fear that if this season is to be a success, we still have to dip into the CL money and strengthen further before the transfer deadline arrives.

© john_mac 2004
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 02:13:19 am by Rushian »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Transfer Window Starts to Close!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 08:26:24 pm »
Dunno. I don't really expect to see another signing before the end of the window.

I think Rafa has made his assessment of the squad. Clearly, the main areas we are lacking are RM and CF - due to an absence of personnel. Rafa is trying to shore that up with the introduction of Potter and Welsh.

CL money is obvioulsy there, but I just wonder whether he will chance it to January now.

Don't forget, all of Europe knows we are after these positions and hence prices get hiked. I would urge caution at this stage.

Furthermore, would it not be better we allow the new blood (manager included) to bed into the squad and introduce more players as time goes on?

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 08:31:40 pm »
My feelings exactly there John. We need a more complete player up front, a maturer head, and a thoughtful attacker who doesnt just get the ball and wanna skin anything in a different coloured shirt. A player such as a Shearer, Mista, Kluivert, or even dare I say it Smith. Just someone who is different to what we have.

Both players wanna impress so much that they forget about the other. Milan is undoubted class, but he doesnt look up enough for me. Im sure in time he will develop, but time is something that the moaning fuckers dont allow.

I love Carra, and i reakon he is better at CB...but with Hyypia as his partner im not so sure. Its a partnerhip - like H&H - that lacks pace, and i dont think you can have both playing in a successful season.

Looking at Kewell, he is a luxury we can ill afford. We are carrying him for 3 out of every 5 games [if that!]. He has to produce more, and realise that if things arent going well when you are attacking, that the very least you can do is work hard. I personally would like to see Warnock play a few consecutive starts, and kick Kewell up the arse. If Nunez was fit, id play Garcia left and Nunez right. We cant afford to have a 3 man midfield for most game...and with Harry, thats what we are getting.

Offline Red Moose

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 08:48:01 pm »
I agree regarding FSP but Baros needs a run in the side to build his confidence, I have thought since Owen went that we lack depth. For instance imagine Baros and Cisse unavailable for whatever reason.
Up front would be FSP and Mellor or maybe Kewell centre forward and either of the other two as striker but that would be weak to say the least.
I have seen on other threads that we should recall Le Tallec, not being funny but the reason he went on loan was so he could play every week if he came back there is no way, even now, I can see him playing first team every week.

So I think we need another forward.........who that should be is for another thread me thinks

Offline coltmanaman

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 09:04:00 pm »
Have to agree regarding the striking situation:

Cisse - loads of talent but rough around the edges (particularly control/first touch & passing)

Baros - Superb Euro 2004 but still yet to show his international form in a red shirt

Pongolle - Good impact player with 20 mins to go but still a lot to learn for a starting bearth

However I'm not sure what striker i'd like - a target man like Morientes, Shearer etc  OR a link man who'll come deep & hopefully create a lot as well as score a few ala Bergkamp, Raul etc. 

Apart from the strikers I think we have the makings of a very good squad.

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 09:05:20 pm »
If we didn't have Baros and we were looking for a striker to replace Owen I bet most of us would advocate buying the Euro top scorer. I don't know what he has to do for some people, he has bided his time for 3 years hardly playing (injury or otherwise) despite being a national team regular. He has waited for his chance and now his chance has come.

He has played two league games, scored 1 goal and was MOM against Many City in his last league game. I trust Milan and Cisse to be perfect replacements for Michael Owen.

If we go back to June 1987 we had lost the best striker we ever had to Juventus, we had already bought Aldridge from Oxford in March and that summer we bought Beardsley and Barnes. If we say that Garcia and Alonso are like Beardsley and Barnes and Cisse/Baros are like Aldridge then I do not see much difference in each scenario. Infact Cisse and Baros have much a bigger pedigree internationally than Aldo had that summer.

The only problem with these signings is unlike the 1987 mob - barring Baros - they do not have as much PL experience.

I am not worried about Owen leaving as I think Baros and Cisse will compensate, Garcia and Kewell can both play support striker brilliantly so we have options. My only concern is that we are light in the attacking midfield and in defence, ideally we would bring in players like Aimar, Collocini or Duff for those positions and then we will have a genuine championship challenging squad. I wouldn't mind seeing another right midfielder in if Nunez is to be a squad player and Garcia is to play link man - but I feel we are missing a player in the final third.

Agree on the point that we are in transition and this season will be just that, and also agree that we need two signings in attacking midfield and defence but disagree about Baros.

I am sure Rafa knows our deficiencies in defence, he even spoke about that earlier this week so I think a defender will be signed, especially bearing in mind Henchoz's performance yesterday.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:19:57 pm »
If we didn't have Baros and we were looking for a striker to replace Owen I bet most of us would advocate buying the Euro top scorer. I don't know what he has to do for some people, he has bided his time for 3 years hardly playing (injury or otherwise) despite being a national team regular. He has waited for his chance and now his chance has come.

He has played two league games, scored 1 goal and was MOM against Many City in his last league game. I trust Milan and Cisse to be perfect replacements for Michael Owen.

If we go back to June 1987 we had lost the best striker we ever had to Juventus, we had already bought Aldridge from Oxford in March and that summer we bought Beardsley and Barnes. If we say that Garcia and Alonso are like Beardsley and Barnes and Cisse/Baros are like Aldridge then I do not see much difference in each scenario. Infact Cisse and Baros have much a bigger pedigree internationally than Aldo had that summer.

The only problem with these signings is unlike the 1987 mob - barring Baros - they do not have as much PL experience.

I am not worried about Owen leaving as I think Baros and Cisse will compensate, Garcia and Kewell can both play support striker brilliantly so we have options. My only concern is that we are light in the attacking midfield and in defence, ideally we would bring in players like Aimar, Collocini or Duff for those positions and then we will have a genuine championship challenging squad. I wouldn't mind seeing another right midfielder in if Nunez is to be a squad player and Garcia is to play link man - but I feel we are missing a player in the final third.

Agree on the point that we are in transition and this season will be just that, and also agree that we need two signings in attacking midfield and defence but disagree about Baros.

I am sure Rafa knows our deficiencies in defence, he even spoke about that earlier this week so I think a defender will be signed, especially bearing in mind Henchoz's performance yesterday.

I agree with almost everything you've said. However i really don't agree with the idea we need more attacking mids. What on earth was the point in signing garcia, alonso and Nunez then? I also feel that, although Kewell has been bitterly dissapointing, as Rafa gets the team playing his way, and it gets through its transition period his form will pick up. I trust Rafa to get the best out of him and the team, or make the necessary changes.
Also buying more mids would mean our promising youngsters such as warnock getting much less playing time.

Anyone expecting fantastic football consistently in the next few months needs to have a reality check. It will take time for Rafa to implement his ideas.

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 09:21:42 pm »

I agree with almost everything you've said. However i really don't agree with the idea we need more attacking mids. What on earth was the point in signing garcia, alonso and Nunez then? I also feel that, although Kewell has been bitterly dissapointing, as Rafa gets the team playing his way, and it gets through its transition period his form will pick up. I trust Rafa to get the best out of him and the team, or make the necessary changes.
Also buying more mids would mean our promising youngsters such as warnock getting much less playing time.

Anyone expecting fantastic football consistently in the next few months needs to have a reality check. It will take time for Rafa to implement his ideas.

If we are to use Garcia as a RM then we would need a link player, if we play Garcia as a link striker then I think we need a RM to challenge the unproven Nunez. Just my opinion mate, the season is long and hard.

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 09:33:25 pm »

If we are to use Garcia as a RM then we would need a link player, if we play Garcia as a link striker then I think we need a RM to challenge the unproven Nunez. Just my opinion mate, the season is long and hard.
surely he's only unproven to us cos not many on here will watch spanish reserve footy ?
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 10:04:33 pm »
Erm, going on our Jerzy's performances so far and Kirkie's fragility, I think we should be looking for a keeper, never mind anyone else.

Offline Bren1892

• Badge Queen - Goes in through the window and lands in the kitchen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Got fed up with Liverlady.....
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 10:09:42 pm »
We don't really know who we need for sure yet.  We've got 3 players we haven't even seen play in a red shirt yet, and one (Josemi) who's only played a couple of times.  I think Benitez needs some time to see what he can do with the squad dhe has now before buying more players. 

This season should be all about rebuilding - nice if we won something and it will be good to go a fair way in the CL, but the long term is the most important.    I think it's going to be exciting watching our team build up again and I'm looking forward to it.  I would say that 'I can't wait', but I can, I've got the patience.
YNWA
JFT96

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 10:11:42 pm »

How much for the Greek skipper, Dellas?

87:13

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 10:13:41 pm »

How much for the Greek skipper, Dellas?

What's a Grecian Urn?

I'll get me coat...

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 10:15:03 pm »

Splinters in his arse at Roma.

As Ian Dury put it, "What a waste"...

87:13

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 10:21:26 pm »
We need a Stephen Gerrard type player upfront, one who will demand that the right ball is played at the right time with the right pace.

I couldn't name such a player, but you know what type of player we need?

I would say this is the Reds biggest test since 1959, but with even more difficulty as its now the norm to buy foreign players (whom many don't talk English.) To me thats the crux of the issue, they used to say let the ball do the talking.

The problem now is to settle those players in, and let them learn how to express themselves in the manner we'd like to see.

It's a long long road ahead of us, I think it's time we take stock of what we have and what we want to acheive.

I still think a few more "big names" won't be with us this time next season, somethings not right?
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 10:21:39 pm »
Excellent article there but disagree on the point about Baros as I'm sure you expected from most on here.

He's an excellent striker as far as I'm concerned, he has pace, goals and will in time form an excellent partnership with Cisse in my opinion.

Agree too that strengthening is needed in defence and up front and while I'm not so sure it will happen before Tuesday I can see it happening in January.

I predict that at times we'll struggle this season, we'll play poorly, lose silly games etc... It will take time. As GH said himself last May, there is no quick fix.

But we're on the right track, of that I'm sure.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 10:41:47 pm »
Good post John and I agree with pretty much all of it

Offline Clayton Moore rides again ©

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 10:44:30 pm »
It's back to let's wait and see how the develop. It'll be a long haul.

Rafa hinted at more signings so expect a flurry of rumours again.

A very quick trawl of the Net produced these; mostly a load of hot air I think.

-------------
25 August 2004
Shaun Wright Phillips agent spotted leaving anfield last night after A K Grazer match

juan pablo angel is said to be frustrated at lack of high profile signings by villa and is considering his future with villains with liverpool said to be very interested. o'leary would welcome more cash from the sale of his star striker and has been told any money made from sales would be used in team building

24 August 2004
Liverpool will bid for Rooney once Champions League football and the cash that goes with it have been secured tonight

Liverpool will sign Mista, Joey Barton, and Coloccini after the second match with GAK.

Liverpool strike contract with not just Shaun but both Wright Phillips boys from Man City at 11 million. To be unveiled Monday.
SWP TO LFC IN JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW. FEE DEPENDING ON HOW WELL CITY ARE DOING IN THE PREM AT THAT TIME. IT MEANS MELLOR AND PROBABLY BISCAN WILL BE MOVING TO CITY AS A MAKEWEIGHT IN THE DEAL!!!!!!EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 11:05:30 pm »
It is a bit of a concern that we don't have proven quality up front or at the back, but those in attack and defence are not bad by any means.

Besides with the midfield we now have, I can not see how any other team will get the ball!

p.s.

maybe a ......

-------Alonso---Hamann----Gerrard

Garcia--------------------------------Kewell

---------------Baros/Ciise/Pingu

is the answer?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 11:12:47 pm »
but what was the question?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 11:14:39 pm »
How will we win the league?  ;D
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 11:33:08 pm »
Haven't read the replies yet tho will, but I'd not be upset at having one upfront if it means we have more options in attack. I've never allied myself to the idea that a basic 4-5-1 or what they now call 4-4-1-1 is negative whatsoever.

If it means more fluidity and movement and ultimately goals then we're happy.

Having said that I don't think Rafa is going for that kind of formation.

Much will depend on how Alonso Garcia and Nunez fit in which will take a while... a year at least.

There was talk of signing Kaffour as a new CB which would make us stronger and some mootings I read on ynwa.tv about signing Tevez from Argentina. Would be nice to have Tevez have to say - whether there is any possibility in it I could never say. We do need another striker and CB though.

But if we bed in the Spanish Armarda this season then build for the next even further then you couldn't ask much more than that.

Am sure we'll make one more signing tho - would it be crass to ask if Rafa decides to plough in for defenders or attackers then that will give a light on how we'll go about this season?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 11:34:42 pm by rob_filler »

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2004, 01:44:55 am »
After his recent/current exploits a the Olympics, in addition to the Copa, Tevez may be out of our reach. He is certainly a player with immense talent. In fact, the Argies at the Olympics are highly impressive - young (excluding Ayala, Kily & Heinze) and fearless.

Based on our defensive performances at the start of the season and Rafa's comments and hints post City and Graz matches, I believe his next signing will be a defender (central defender). Before Tuesday will be difficult but not impossible, if he can find one 'good, nice and cheap'. But more likely will be in January.

Not sure whether we can afford Ayala or not but every time I see him playing, the more I believe he's the type of player that can provide more security to our rearguard. Whoever or whatever it is, I think most of us like what we have seen so far from Rafa and he will make us better.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Transfer Window Starts to Close
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2004, 09:00:18 am »
Good read John and I pretty much agree. I remain unconvinced that Baros knows how to play in a team. He needs time to settle in and Rafa needs to take him and Dribbly on an away day for bonding strikers.

It's got nothing to do with how the Czechs play, we are Liverpool and we tend to at the mo, pass through Gerrard to pass it on. Thus Baros gets the ball in front of him, he puts his head down and legs it at the goal, partly to catch up with the ball and partly that's how he plays.

Cisse has the intelligence but needs careful nurturing. It won't be long before he has a tantrum and then we'll see his true character.

I'd take one more striker, with guile, not pace, and strength ( who's that Emile bloke @ Birmingham ? He looks handy ) and a defensive cover with real pace.

I'd keep Hamann for he is the only real one with an overall view of the match for me. He is experienced enough to know the tempo of the match and watch over it. Gerrard will get there but not yet.
Yep.

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2004, 10:31:29 am »
bit of a stupid statement overall.
the more i see of baros the more i wonder why he was left on the sidelines last season.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2004, 11:34:41 am »
Good point made about a lone striker John.

I remember reading a French interview last season with Guy Roux. He was asked about Cisse's strengths and one thing he mentioned was his ability to play up front on his own. He even went so far as to say that Cisse couldn't play upfront with anyone else.

If that is the case, and if at times Benitez decides to play with only the one up front, one supoorting midfielder and two wide men, it shouldn't be seen as a lack of ambition - just an alternative attacking option.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Redvanc

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2004, 05:16:07 pm »
I havent heard a peep about Liverpool trying to get Rooney. Is this not considered a good buy? Or would Rooney himself consider it treason?  As a reds fan I woudl loeve to see him up there with CIsse. Look at Euro 2004, to get an idea of the impact he can have on a team.

Offline Mcguyver

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 04:39:27 pm »
Rooney would be a marvellous signing for us but in all fairness I can't see it happening. I do think that he is way to overpriced but I suppose if you want the best you have to pay for it.