Author Topic: Morgan offer would curry favour with fans  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Morgan offer would curry favour with fans
« on: May 11, 2004, 02:10:56 pm »
With the deal to sell 30% of Liverpool to a Thai consortium, headed by the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, seemingly signed, sealed and delivered, local businessman and life-long Red Steve Morgan has come charging over the horizon on his trusty steed.

At noon today he handed in a new proposal to Liverpool offering to invest £61m in the club by underwriting a share issue. This is an improvement on his previous offer of £50m.  He has also proposed a further £12m investment through a new set of shares issued to the "rank and file supporters" priced at £175 each. This new bid will therefore effectively become a £73m investment in the club.

Earlier in the season a poll ran on RAWK and on YNWA.TV suggested very strong fan interest in investing in the club via a share issue.

38% were prepared to invest £1000 or more immediately.
20% were prepared to invest £1000 in installments over one year.
35% would like to invest but felt they couldn't afford a £1000 investment.
7% expressed no interest in investing.

If the £175 per share figure proves correct, some of the 35% of fans who feel they couldn't invest £1000 may be brought on board.

These figures, if replicated across the broad fanbase, will make interesting reading to Rick Parry on his arrival back in the UK from the Far East.

Some may call Steve Morgan's proposal a populist move, but others will counter by saying the fans of Liverpool have been calling for improved representation for many years and would prefer a local investor. Caution would be advised though, as Morgan has in the past said he'd be amenable to a ground share with Everton, which would be extremely unpopular among the fans.

For further information on the Thai deal, read the excellent ILSA Guide to the Thai Investment.

© RAWK 2004
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 02:28:25 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Elcey

• Anny Roader
  • "See you in Rome!"
Re: Morgan offer would curry favour with fans
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 02:24:25 pm »
This is great news, that a local businessman/supporter is backing the club and willing to invest. I was a bit wary at first about all this thai bloke stuff as I dont wanna see the club fall into the wrong hands, but by the looks of it, the only thing we shall be getting from this thai chap is his money and no real time for the club, whereas Steve Morgan wants his seat on the board, and wants to have his say.

Brilliant!!

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 04:27:39 pm »
Also wants PLC thought, doesn't he?

What worries me most about Steve Morgan is his acute hostility towards David Moores, when the latter isn't doing much wrong from what I can gather... If this is due to their views differing so drastically, the prospect of Steve Morgan becoming a force on the board is a wee bit worrying.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 04:32:49 pm »
So Moores continuing to refuse to allow the club to recognise the HJC is "doing nothing wrong" is it?  And he does have form in that direction also.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 08:29:23 pm »
all competition is good for the consumer, steve morgans bid should be welcome for all supporters.
justice for the 96

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 08:33:01 pm »
steve morgans presence on the board would be a victory for those who want justice for the 96
justice for the 96

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 08:33:41 pm »
steve morgans presence on the board would be a victory for those who want justice for the 96

???
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 08:34:48 pm »
roll on i say,
justice for the 96

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 08:38:50 pm »
its parry and moores hjc. refusal innit?
justice for the 96

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 08:40:50 pm »
sir riger - it actually started with Peter Robinson. To suggest that it's a victory for the 96 is perverse at best. No one knows this man's plans or intentions with regards to *anything*.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 09:22:32 pm »
It actually started (and continues) with Moores.  Robinson was merely his mouthpiece at the time, (as Parry is now).  I don't know Morgan's position on the HJC so I can't comment, but any dilution of Moores' majority holding to allow a free vote on the HJC's recognition would be welcome as far as I am concerned.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 09:30:29 pm »
all competition is good for the consumer, steve morgans bid should be welcome for all supporters.
Not if we end up sharing a ground with the shite >:(
Got to say I prefer Morgans bid to some dodgy prime minister though.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 09:31:31 pm »
Maggie, the future direction of this club covers a whole range of issues. As welcome as a free vote on the recognition of the HJC might be, there are many, many other factors to consider.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 10:35:49 pm »
Although i don't know enough about Morgan, if he was to drop plans for turning into a PLC, no groundshare with that lot and would recognise the HJC, then i'd take him any day over this thai bloke who has no interest in our club apart from the opportunity to make a profit.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Rushback

• star wars obsessive
  • Legacy Fan
  • One of the Fleetwoods
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 10:41:19 pm »

same here
"football is dead"   Redissue 25 May 2005

http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 10:01:05 pm »
sir riger - it actually started with Peter Robinson. To suggest that it's a victory for the 96 is perverse at best. No one knows this man's plans or intentions with regards to *anything*.
why was my post taken outa context?
justice for the 96

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 10:12:44 pm »
I meant to say "for those who seek justice for the 96" rather than "for the 96".