Author Topic: The manager conundrum – Pick your pill and Enter the Matrix  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
“This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes”.

Morpheus’ question to Neo in the epic trilogy ‘The Matrix’ represents the key moment in Neo’s life. All else that follows is profoundly affected by this one decision. Neo knew things weren’t as they should be; events in his life kept getting stranger and harder to understand until the time came when the resistance knew he was ready to be approached to make the decision.

This summer, the board of Liverpool Football Club have a similarly momentous decision to make, one that will alter – or maintain – the direction we are going in, for better or worse. The finely balanced debate regarding the pros and cons of Gerrard Houllier keeping the top job is not for this piece; rather I’d like to concentrate on the options available if David Moores takes the blue pill, and Houllier’s story ends. Supporters have been eager to put forward a range of names as potential replacements, yet, strangely, each candidate seems to provide close links with a variety of other pills or illegal drugs. Just take a look at the similarities here:

Martin O'Neill - Ketamine: Proven emphatic effects for very little money; however is also likely to make everything two-dimensional. Used as a horse tranquiliser, one gets the impression that Emile is tranquilised enough already as it is.

Jose Mourinho - Cocaine: Latin origin, the big new thing on the European scene. Especially sought-after by the West-London glory boys. Talks a great game and having great, if short-term, effects currently. Much to our amusement has already got up Fergie’s nose. As well as Rio’s. Allegedly.

Kenny Dalglish - Ecstasy: Had us all jumping around and hugging each other a few years ago, but has since fallen from favour. A few die-hard sentimentalists want a return. In MDMA has also fathered a beautiful daughter, currently all the rage on the media scene.

Fabio Capello - Heroin: Expensive and difficult to get hold of, but capable of giving strong feelings of warmth and contentment. Fans have however suffered serious withdrawal symptoms which could cause long-term damage if you can’t keep the habit.

Ronald Koeman - Marijuana: One of the reasons Amsterdam is so great.  Distinguished career over a number of years with proven versatility and popularity, as schooling in Total Football proves. Celebrated international experience. Free kicks a speciality (if you have the right friends).

Claudio Ranieri - LSD: Can become confused and disorientated. Communication can be a real problem, and at risk of losing track of what exactly you’ve got for your money. Unlikely to last more than 36 hours. Always entertaining when used by others. Users can experience unpleasant hallucinations of grandeur, often with flashbacks.

Phil Thompson - Speed: A poor man’s cocaine; popular with the city working classes. Pleasant uplifting feelings, but side effects can include verbal and physical aggression. Useful at times, but passion prevents clarity of thought. Use often results in an unpleasant nose.

The board may still, as they see it, play it safe by avoiding the potential pitfalls the above drugs could bring. Rather, they could go for the safe drug-free option: the plain, unflavoured French mineral water. If it is indeed the Evian that they go for next season, do you think it would be asking too much to at least be given some Alka Seltzer to go with it?

© Farman 2004
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 02:42:31 pm by Rushian »
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
Re: The manager conundrum – Pick your pill and Enter the Matrix
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2004, 12:40:18 pm »
“Jose Mourinho / Cocaine: Much to our amusement has already got up Fergie’s nose. As well as Rio’s. Allegedly.

;D ;D ;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2004, 01:07:49 pm »
 ;D Great stuff.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Red Moose

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2004, 02:14:36 pm »
lol, Superb post,  ;D

Offline MC-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2004, 02:43:11 pm »
 ;D

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2004, 09:00:26 pm »
I'll take the coke on both respects!  ;D ;D ;D

Good to know great humour is alive and well on RAWK!

Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2004, 11:13:39 pm »
;D ;D ;D

Quality! Love it!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2004, 10:10:07 am »
 ;D pure class

:wave
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2004, 07:05:26 pm »
Genius lad

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 08:18:00 pm »
 ;D

great comedy, and not far off the mark with a number of your observations.

YNWA

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 01:43:11 am »
Only just saw this and it's class.

;D
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 04:30:03 am »
Kenny Dalglish - Ecstasy: Had us all jumping around and hugging each other a few years ago, but has since fallen from favour. A few die-hard sentimentalists want a return. In MDMA has also fathered a beautiful daughter, currently all the rage on the media scene.

Don't mean to piss on your barbie, but MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is ecstasy.

Know your drugs, sonny.

;)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 05:38:13 pm »
Superb!

Roddysul

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 05:50:57 pm »
Gordon Strachan  -  GHB
Usually comes in small wet packages and has been known to send you down time after time.  After ingestion usually wait around for about an hour for nothing to happen.  Has been known to get people dancing but more often than not it just sends them into a coma

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 05:52:34 pm »

Don't mean to piss on your barbie, but MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is ecstasy.

Know your drugs, sonny.

;)

Yes, MDMA is pure ecstacy, but there's often some ugly stuff in them pills.

More than just the plink plink fizz then. Mourinho seems to be a strong favourite. The board should keep their powder dry, sniff around for what's available and chalk up a quality manager.

I might have to think of a new one for the Benitez link. Alcohol/beer maybe? That link with the stout, lager-than-life Spaniard has caught me on the hop; not that I'm bitter. He'd be a Stella signing. Compared to Curbishley he's older Budweiser.

TAXI!

The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me