Author Topic: The Transfer committee - It's time to talk about this  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Transfer committee - It's time to talk about this
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
Problem this summer is we bought players who either aren't the finished product, don't fit our style of play, or just don't make sense at all.

We needed proven players who could come in and make an impact right away.  Of those types of players we bought maybe one, Lallana.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
I didn't add Moreno because we need a left back,he's young and it's early days. Manquillo is a loan.

At the moment only lallana coutinho and Sturridge stand out as successes. Maybe the committee wasn't here in Brendan's first but then Brendan is at fault.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:42 pm »
I've loads to say on this and i'm sure everyone will have an opinion but we needed to break the wage structure to get the players in. I don't think we were prepared to do that having cut the wage bill in the previous windows having been burnt before. At the moment though we look like we've overpaid for average players who are no better than what we've got and lost our main goal source. I think we'll improve but not to anywhere near the standard we were at last season unless we can perform a miracle in January.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »
Have some fucking patience, weve just been beaten by THE best, im confident in the ability of most of them.

If we can retain our CL place for next season thats when the committee need to be signing established players, being prepared to pay big fee & big wages....

did you watch our previous CL games? this isnt a 1-off
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:03 pm »
It's time to discuss this. Looking at the squad tonight it looks totally unbalanced but worse  of all there's seemingly no rhyme or reason to to our transfer moves.

Just look at this list.

Lambert - can't get a game, unfancied.
Ballotelli - probably won't play again, massive gamble and used in my opinion wrongly.
Markovic - what's his position? What does he do? What's he supposed to bring?
Sakho - unfancied
Borini - unwanted.
Lovren - over priced and a seemingly replacement for Sakho
Can - unproven and not trusted ahead of Gerrard who plays every game at 35 years of age
Sahin - never used, unfancied.

I just don't get it. I'm not sure what the plan is or why these players fall out of favour. The team is stuck in a formation that doesn't suit the personnell, we look slow, devoid of ideas and lack confidence and Brendan himself doesn't know what to do.

Why didn't we in est in some proven quality? Where's Valdes? Where's the strikers we need? Where's the dm we've cried out for for three seasons.

I think the transfer committee whoever the fuck they are have wasted millions of pounds so far and have let the supporters down in a big way.

And this is. I knee jerk after Madrid, they are far far superior. This is something g that's bugged me for a while and that feels like we are reaping what we sow. Poor investment, poor choices, no real return.

In short not good enough really

to be honest it's not just the committee but also Rodgers as well. I mean he was the one who want Lovren and spunked £20m for his "leadership and organisation" Lovren couldn't organise piss up in a brewery.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:32 pm »
I should also add that Can was probably brought in as backup to Gerrard but is obviously not ready. 
Lallana was to bring support for Henderson and to act as an alternative but perhaps with more creativity and on-the-ball ability.
Markovic was an alternative to Sterling.
Origi as backup to Sturridge
Lambert as 3rd choice striker

You can't really say Moreno and Manquillo haven't been a success so far, which only really leaves Lovren and Balotelli.

I don't blame Lovren for our defensive frailties.  That's a team and systematic problem that Brendan hasn't even come close to resolving in more than 2 years at the helm.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:58 pm »
Moreno, Can and Lallana look like good additions and you can see why they were signed and what they bring, the others are very debatable.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »
The only quality signings we made are Moreno Lallana, and Can the others have been sub par. Balotelli isn't being utilized correctly, markovic looks like he's asleep half the time Lambert doesn't even play and when he does you can tell he's not Liverpool quality. Lovren has been liable for at least 30% of the goals conceded. I hope we have a good January window and fight for the League cup, Fa cup, and league. Sign Reus.
Seen us win everything

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
Tempted to agree but think we need to judge when he has a fully fit squad to pick from and integrate these players as intended.

Looking pretty fuckin shit so far though.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »
I didn't add Moreno because we need a left back,he's young and it's early days.
Yet Can is considered a failure already?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
I didn't add Moreno because we need a left back,he's young and it's early days. Manquillo is a loan.

At the moment only lallana coutinho and Sturridge stand out as successes. Maybe the committee wasn't here in Brendan's first but then Brendan is at fault.

Sahin was also a loan and nothing to do with the commitee. But that's fine because it's not the committee you want to discuss it's Brendan? But you only want to discuss the ones you think are doing badly or - oddly - have been injured.

You didn't add Moreno because it's early days....... What? Why have you included any of the summer signings then?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:02 pm »
Pretty Simple.
With Gerrard in the back of midfield you lose any organization in front of the defense. You gain the pinging of the ball around and probably scoring more. We started giving up goals like this when he was moved back there, but we increased production too.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »
The only quality signings we made are Moreno Lallana, and Can the others have been sub par. Balotelli isn't being utilized correctly, markovic looks like he's asleep half the time Lambert doesn't even play and when he does you can tell he's not Liverpool quality. Lovren has been liable for at least 30% of the goals conceded. I hope we have a good January window and fight for the League cup, Fa cup, and league. Sign Reus.

:butt :butt

dont know what yr smoking lad. But lets put it this way.. if the best our committee could get was balotelli....well..

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Tempted to agree but think we need to judge when he has a fully fit squad to pick from and integrate these players as intended.

Looking pretty fuckin shit so far though.
Above Spurs Man U and Arsenal and tied for 2nd in our champions league group needing to win a home game and beat a bulgarian side to go through is shit? We have 10 new players we need time, and a transition to a new system where Gerrard is phased out.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 10:05:53 pm »
Absurdly early to make conclusions on this summer's business.

How'd Sterling look at this time last year?

Offline polki

• Main Stander
  • Needs to bulk up
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »

Its nothing new, near enough every summer is the same, Quantity.

We have never bought a world class player in the Premier League era

Any world class player we have had has either come through the academy or we have bought a player who has the potential to be and they have become world class while here.

We just don't seem to buy ready made world class players. We are very rarely strongly linked to any.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »
Problem this summer is we bought players who either aren't the finished product, don't fit our style of play, or just don't make sense at all.

We needed proven players who could come in and make an impact right away.  Of those types of players we bought maybe one, Lallana.

I called them maybe players at the time. Although I was opposed to most of the signings, you could see the thinking behind them. The problem is, how likely was it to ever come together?

Maybe Lallana is a late bloomer
Maybe Balotelli can change
Maybe Lovren isn't a one season wonder
Maybe Markovic will hit the ground running

You look at the teams around us last season

Fabregas probably will start producing immediately
Sanchez probably will as well
Costa etc

People continually make excuses, we don't have the budget, we can't afford the wages. We just sold Suarez for £75m. He was on £200k a week. Reina was on £100k. Johnson is around that. We paid Carroll around that.

I'm tired of the excuses. We're just terrible in the transfer market and our fans accept it every year. Always defending the club going after the flavour of the month and spending a fortune.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:36 pm »
Its not like the committee had a bad summer when you look at the individuals bought & the prices paid but just like Spurs its impossible in the short term to replace such an integral player. Suarez was the get-out-of-jail free card for the players & manager mistakes that we just don't have now. The 40-45m spent on Markovic & Lallana is the only bad spending for me as we have two better players in their positions so why not buy solid experience to help the likes of Sterling & Couthinho rather than add depth.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »
Its nothing new, near enough every summer is the same, Quantity.

We have never bought a world class player in the Premier League era

Any world class player we have had has either come through the academy or we have bought a player who has the potential to be and they have become world class while here.

We just don't seem to buy ready made world class players. We are very rarely strongly linked to any.
Except Torres or Mascherano or Sakho who was supposed to be world class or Robbie Keane for that matter.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:12 pm »
I remember rovers saying when we got 2nd, that we are only going to buy champions league quality players , instead we got young with potential to be good. None of the players bar Moreno are an actual improvement on the first team.

Emre can - players in gerrarda position but is far too young/isn't good enough yet to compete.
Lallana - great little player who I think will be a decent buy to be honest.
Markovic - I dont even know what position he is meant to play, young and with lots of potential apparently but yea unproven but brought for shit loads of money.
Lovren - probably not as good as agger , plays in the same position as sakho so the buy didn't make sense unless he wanted to move lovren or sakho out of position. Instead he drops sakho and plays skrtel and lovren who have turned out to be a shit partnership yet continues to get picked.

I also think the timing of our signings were terrible , our biggest weakness last season was our defence , yet we bought them almost at the end of the transfer window ? They had zero pre season to gel together.

For years we have wanted our managers to stop buying too many players and just buy 2-3 quality players. Instead it looks like it will continue.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:34 pm »
Moreno, manquillo, lallana and maybe Can.

The others have done absolutely nothing.

Worst bit of business was lovren for £20m whilst selling agger for £3m awful awful decision
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:11:22 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »
Its funny when people talk about wages like we can't pay them.
Seen us win everything

Offline polki

• Main Stander
  • Needs to bulk up
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:31 pm »
Except Torres or Mascherano or Sakho who was supposed to be world class or Robbie Keane for that matter.

Dont think Torres had reached world class status yet when we bought him imo. Same with Masch

Sakho isnt world class yet and Robbie Keane was not at any point world class

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »
I watched the game in 2009 earlier, we had Masch, Alonso and Torres who made a great contribution.... but they weren't here in their first seasons..... Reina, Arbs too... it was a team that was well oiled, and getting to a good age in terms of experience. We're miles off that, in terms of experience. I think we need to recognise where we are in terms of our squad and playing experience and not expect more than what it is.

Keep the core glued together for 2 years and we'll be somewhere closer to that level. I think some expect too much, too soon. First season for most of the lads in this competition for christs sake.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »
I called them maybe players at the time. Although I was opposed to most of the signings, you could see the thinking behind them. The problem is, how likely was it to ever come together?

Costa etc

People continually make excuses, we don't have the budget, we can't afford the wages. We just sold Suarez for £75m. He was on £200k a week. Reina was on £100k. Johnson is around that. We paid Carroll around that.

I'm tired of the excuses. We're just terrible in the transfer market and our fans accept it every year. Always defending the club going after the flavour of the month and spending a fortune.
Except Arsenal have 11 points.
Chelsea have done well.
Utd spent 150 million on WORLD CLASS PLAYERS! WE NEED WORLD CLASS! WOOOOORRRLLLDDD CLASS! 11 points.
This is like being in a marriage and you don't want to work on it you want to give your wife a check and run down the store and fix her problems.
Not that simple.
If we hit Christmas and we are out of the Champions League and sitting in seventh then we can start bitchin.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:59 pm »

Costa etc

We're actually not that different to last season in terms of key personnel except the obvious Suarez and Sturridge loss. BUT the caveat to that is in the second half of the season when we were incredible we had Sterling, Henderson and Coutinho playing at a level far higher than any of them had reached previously. Sterling became our most important player at one point and that's incredible. I don't blame the club in thinking those lads could continue to maintain that. However in hindsight without Luis and Dan it looks like that responsibility has come too soon. Not to say those three lads are playing badly or are to blame but as a squad we need more. Add Makovic and Can to that and it makes it even more of a gamble on youth. In that respect it's ALL about patience and having the balls to continue to have the faith in these young lads - like we did last season.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »
Dont think Torres had reached world class status yet when we bought him imo. Same with Masch

Sakho isnt world class yet and Robbie Keane was not at any point world class
Torres was Costa. Exact same scenario, same club some deal.
Masch was obviously a great player when we bought him.
Robbie Keane had 150 goals in the Prem. He's certainly up there.
This is all just I'm mad we lost lets blame it on something and twist the facts to support the narrative.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 10:13:18 pm »
A complete mish mash of signings that don't follow logic. Lallana and the spanish fullbacks seem to fit into last years style of play and make sense. Can long term I can potentially see the logic too.

Then we have the two strikers and Markovic that all seem more suited to a 4-3-3 system. Spending £20million on a left sided cb when we had signed one the previous summer for £18million again it doesn't make sense.

From the outside looking in to me it seems some signings were made for a particular style of play and other were made due to having value and potential.

This set up is not working. Give the manager enough rope to hang himself.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:15:10 pm by mkferdy »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »
Except Arsenal have 11 points.
Chelsea have done well.
Utd spent 150 million on WORLD CLASS PLAYERS! WE NEED WORLD CLASS! WOOOOORRRLLLDDD CLASS! 11 points.
This is like being in a marriage and you don't want to work on it you want to give your wife a check and run down the store and fix her problems.
Not that simple.
If we hit Christmas and we are out of the Champions League and sitting in seventh then we can start bitchin.

Who cares about those two clubs? They had shit strategies themselves in regards to their defence. That doesn't absolve us of anything.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:39 pm »
Remy really would have been perfect.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:55 pm »
I've bored everyone senseless talking about this for weeks. I'll leave it tonight, Walshy mate.

Yes please do leave it, you're polluting my eyes.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »
Less than an hour after the final whistle is not the time to talk about it. Try again tomorrow.

royhendo

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2014, 08:20:57 am »
Someone go and dig out the posts writing off Jordan Henderson if we're reviving this bilge.