Author Topic: How do we get the most out of the players that are available?  (Read 12540 times)

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
How do we get the most out of the players that are available?
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:14:20 am »
This is a legitimate question that I'd love any of those more versed in the game to chat on.

I myself have no real background in the game outside of being a fan and reading bits here and about. But here's my thoughts, such that they are.

Some have lamented in the injury updates thread about not picking up another fast run-off-the-shoulder-of-the-defense striker in the window, and though we did sign Origi (for next year, anyway), it made me wonder: has Rodgers been trying to play the same football as last season with this years squad? With two players with limited mobility or who are not going to be making penetrative runs in Mario and Lambert (and Sturridge not available), can we play that sort of game still?

I wonder if there's other performance issues tied to this. Like some on here wanting to push Gerrard forward and put Lucas in front of the defense (since we don't have the goal threat/speed to make Gerrard dangerous enough in the Pirlo role, etc). No matter how you look at it there's been a lack of goals, though thinking back we still seem to generate quite a few dangerous plays each match, they just don't always materialize in a high scoring chance...

So if you see anything in the question, I'd be interested to read your thoughts. I don't have any set opinion myself but would like to hear those who know their football chat on the topic.

(Believe this is the first thread I've made, and hoping it conforms to the new thread rules and some can find something to talk about in the question/topic. Of course I might just be a tit and if this thread is a reflection of that then feel free to let me know   ;D)

EDIT:

Title change!

This is the topic I'm interested in. Comparing how we played last year to how we might possibly play to the strengths of WHO IS AVAILABLE TO THE MANAGER.

This is not a thread for CRITICISM of how the CURRENT MANAGER is deploying our squad, merely a place for discussion of possibilities and what fans see on the pitch and think about, in a purely HYPOTHETICAL way and for the mere enjoyment of discussion.

(How's that?)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:20:22 pm by GregCharrua »

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Does Rodgers need to make more significant tactical changes?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:55:39 am »
Valid question.....

The answer IMO is Yes. We cannot play using the same tactics as last season. If we are to progress this season, we have to play a tighter (more defensive) and possession based game (due to the players we have available.....not injured).

1)Lucas to protect defence
2)Fullbacks to not push up so high the pitch
3)Gerrard moved further up to provide more goal threat
4)Partner Balotelli with sterling/borini/lambert upfront.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:59 am »
Don't know , not got access to all the skill set he has, not got the information he has, wouldn't like to second guess an expert in the field , so I will carry on just watching !
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:28 am »
You don't think you know more than , your doctor, surgeon, barrister, accountant, car mechanic, etc,  all experts in their field,  so why do people think being a Football Manager is something anyone can do ?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:46 am »
As far as I can tell the OP has asked questions in a respectful and sincere manner, admitted that they would like to hear the opinions of people more versed in tactical knowledge, and not tried to suggest that they know better than Rodgers.

What's up with all the harassment?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:09 am »
No.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:01:03 am »
The guy makes a valid point that is worth debate yet he's being shot down. It's not like he's criticising Rodgers, but currently it's not working without Sturridge up there so something needs doing. He didn't say he doesn't trust BR to get it right, he's merely asking what should be done. Fuck it fuck this forum off because BR is manager and that's the end of that.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:01:48 am »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard up front in a true attacking role in the next month with some regularity, at least for part of some games. For me that is a big tactical change, and long overdue too.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:08 am »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard up front in a true attacking role in the next month with some regularity, at least for part of some games. For me that is a big tactical change, and long overdue too.

Can't see it happening.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:08 am »
Once again I lament PoP's absence, not cos he was the only one who could talk tactics but because he had the most to say about periodisation which I believe is affecting all parts of our game setup at the moment. Against west from you could begin to see elements of our pressing game return and I'm wondering if Rodgers times our tactical setup around the fitness regime. If this is the case I wonder (ie hope) if we'll see performances start to pick up almost regardless of tactical formation.

With Sturridge out for the foreseeable, hopefully we can get a more energetic performance going, perhaps with defence-splitting mazy runs from Lallana and Coutinho replacing defence-splitting passes to the less mobile Balotelli.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how we perform in this game.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
The guy makes a valid point that is worth debate yet he's being shot down. It's not like he's criticising Rodgers, but currently it's not working without Sturridge up there so something needs doing. He didn't say he doesn't trust BR to get it right, he's merely asking what should be done. Fuck it fuck this forum off because BR is manager and that's the end of that.

The implication in the title of the thread is an opinion often offered in here, that Rodgers is tactically naive and many who offer their opinions genuinely appear to believe themselves better placed to offer insight than the manager of Liverpool FCC. Not the occasional Id have Borini on instead of Markovic but full blown dissertations on their tactical house, backed up by fuck knows what.

It is bollox, pure and simple bollox
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:37:26 am »
He doesn't think he's better placed, he said clearly he has no professional background etc.. There is no such implication that Rodgers is naive either (you can say he needs to make changes without thinking he's been naive not to), stop projecting your issues over a sincere OP.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:34 am »
Because Shankly.

These people genuinely think Shankly would do everything the same if he managed us today.

I doubt that many if any, believe that the best managers of all time would not have adapted to the period in which they managed. Shankly, for example, drew much from his upbringing, his playing days but also appreciated the present of the time. Whenever he spoke to his players he drew on the past,players and lessons he had learned, he would never have dreamed of writing that off.

I can remember Bob Paisley well enough to remember lots of criticism of his selection of An ageing Ian Callaghan in a year when he had the audacity to lift the league and European Cup.

Times change and the best managers learn, we have been lucky enough to have Shankly, Paisley, Kenny, Houllier and Benitez over the years, all some of the most inventive managers around, we now have Brendan who I hope can go on to stand toe to toe in that company and is certainly going about things in the right way. If some beauty's on an Internet forum think he shows some tactical ineptitude, well it's nothing short of laughable really isn't it?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Igor Biscuit please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:31 am »
Where's Phase of Play then?
Haven't seen him around here in ages, anyone know?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:52:11 am »
Here's my two cents on it. I personally think that "Internet management" (for want of a better phrase) has become a bit tedious to be frank about it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with discussing team performances or the performances of individual players. Fans have been doing that for as long as the game has been around. I'm all for that. What I'm not for is reading a ten paragraph post that dissects team selections and micro analyzes every single tactical detail to the point of ad nausea. Because here's the truth; no one on these boards is a top flight manager.

Some might think they are, but in reality they're not. What they're typing is (depending on their agenda) nothing more than their interpretation of a 90 minute performance. They then position the goal posts to suit their agenda before proceeding to coat their idle assumptions with articulately presented phrases so that their postulating conjecture appears credible. <--- Kind of like what I just did there, only I freely admit that I'm a pretentious cock with too much time on my hands ;D Some are so good at it they even establish a reputation of authority. Give a man a reputation of being an early riser and he can sleep until noon

Here's the thing. We (the fans and internet managers) invariably get to see the team play once, and on occasion, twice a week. We don't see the hours that they spend on the training ground. None of us are present in team meetings. None of us know what the manager says in individual conversations with his players. None of us know what he tells his coaching staff. None of us know what his staff report back to him. None of us know his short term, mid term, and long term plans. None of us sit through hours of footage analyzing opposing teams. I could probably list 100 things that none of us are privy too. Its all off our radar, hence any assumptions that do get said on here, regardless of how articulately presented they may be, have an extremely limited basis. Its kind of like assuming that you know advanced algebra on the basis that you understand basic addition and subtraction

That being said, they are some very good contributors to the site who post some excellent content without going way over board

But as far as our manager making significant tactical changes goes, I honestly don't know. I'm not the manager. And even if I devised a theory that might help us to steamroll the league, I still have no possible way to try it out or test it, unless I play football manager on a computer. Which of course still isn't remotely close to the real thing, is it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:54:31 am by Billy The Kid »
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 10:20:37 am »
Here's my two cents on it. I personally think that "Internet management" (for want of a better phrase) has become a bit tedious to be frank about it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with discussing team performances or the performances of individual players. Fans have been doing that for as long as the game has been around. I'm all for that. What I'm not for is reading a ten paragraph post that dissects team selections and micro analyzes every single tactical detail to the point of ad nausea. Because here's the truth; no one on these boards is a top flight manager.

Some might think they are, but in reality they're not. What they're typing is (depending on their agenda) nothing more than their interpretation of a 90 minute performance. They then position the goal posts to suit their agenda before proceeding to coat their idle assumptions with articulately presented phrases so that their postulating conjecture appears credible. <--- Kind of like what I just did there, only I freely admit that I'm a pretentious cock with too much time on my hands ;D Some are so good at it they even establish a reputation of authority. Give a man a reputation of being an early riser and he can sleep until noon

Here's the thing. We (the fans and internet managers) invariably get to see the team play once, and on occasion, twice a week. We don't see the hours that they spend on the training ground. None of us are present in team meetings. None of us know what the manager says in individual conversations with his players. None of us know what he tells his coaching staff. None of us know what his staff report back to him. None of us know his short term, mid term, and long term plans. None of us sit through hours of footage analyzing opposing teams. I could probably list 100 things that none of us are privy too. Its all off our radar, hence any assumptions that do get said on here, regardless of how articulately presented they may be, have an extremely limited basis. Its kind of like assuming that you know advanced algebra on the basis that you understand basic addition and subtraction

That being said, they are some very good contributors to the site who post some excellent content without going way over board

But as far as our manager making significant tactical changes goes, I honestly don't know. I'm not the manager. And even if I devised a theory that might help us to steamroll the league, I still have no possible way to try it out or test it, unless I play football manager on a computer. Which of course still isn't remotely close to the real thing, is it?
Your two cents are absolutely spot on there Billy.

Too many people with big ideas above their station these days methinks.

(not meant as a dig to the OP but in general with fans these days)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:24:53 am by Shady Craig »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 10:25:09 am »
I think so.

Even when we played the diamond with Balotelli + Sturridge, it just felt like we tried to emulate last season but replaced Suarez for Balotelli like for like, it'd become unstuck eventually.

I do think 4-5-1 is probably the way to go eventually, we just need a fit striker who can play as that 1
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 10:30:06 am »
You don't think you know more than , your doctor, surgeon, barrister, accountant, car mechanic, etc,  all experts in their field,  so why do people think being a Football Manager is something anyone can do ?

My doctor did a Google search when I went to see her.  I filled in my own tax return and changed my own brake shoes and TDC sensor on my car.  You don't have to be an expert to be able to do some things and while none of those make me an expert you don't always need to be to have an opinion.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 10:45:16 am »
My doctor did a Google search when I went to see her.  I filled in my own tax return and changed my own brake shoes and TDC sensor on my car.  You don't have to be an expert to be able to do some things and while none of those make me an expert you don't always need to be to have an opinion.
Personally I have no problem with the thread because discussion about things like this is what being a football fan is about for some. The problem is some of us can see the inevitable happening in that before long a few posters will come along like Billy said talking like they 100% DO know that Brendan is getting it all wrong and that's just bullshit because nobody who isn't involved with the club at a 1st team coaching level would know the every day ins and outs of everything.

Should this put a stop to the thread though ,no it shouldn't. And maybe some of us should stop expecting the worse as soon as threads like this pop up (me included) and just let people get on with it as it is a forum after all.

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 10:54:38 am »
I don't think itll do a lot.

Any problems we're having at the moment is personnel related. The majority of problems are always personnel related.

Manager's tactics can make the differences at the margins that determine titles etc., but in our case, I think we're still playing decent football, just not scoring.

When our players reach form, we will win.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 11:06:46 am »
From what I can see from the outside looking in, I don't think it's our tactics that have caused our sluggish start. We're sort of in a similar position to where we were in the early stages of the 09/10 season. We had just had a pop at the title the season before, yet had lost one of our most influential players from the previous season in Alonso. The transition wasn't as seamless as some thought it would be at the time. We had a go at the title last year thanks to Suarez and Sturridge returning 53 goals between them. One of them is gone for good while the other is out injured. I don't think you need a detailed dossier questioning the merits of our tactics to figure out why our scoring rate has suddenly dropped
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 11:40:14 am »
Its fair enough talking about tactics but you have to trust the manager and i just dont understand the negativity that creeps into threads like this. What is there to be negative about? We are playing Madrid soon, we have a fantastic squad full of young, talented players. Just relax and let it be.

Offline eurolines

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 11:58:23 am »
For Real Madrid he'll have to adjust things- be a bit more compact, play on the break. We've been very adventurous under him and it's been great to watch, but on Wednesday if we do that then their own pace will have a field day.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »
Where's Phase of Play then?
Haven't seen him around here in ages, anyone know?

He's not coming back. He got tired with arguing with people who thought they knew more about tactics, coaching and football in general then he did.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 12:15:37 pm »
Don't know , not got access to all the skill set he has, not got the information he has, wouldn't like to second guess an expert in the field , so I will carry on just watching !

Came in to write this.

As a fan you can have opinions but you will never, ever know, or being close to knowing. He will make mistakes as everyone makes mistakes but "Does Rodgers need to make more significant tactical changes?" how the fuck would you know?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
Really don't understand why the OP is being given such a hard time.

I don't have access to the information Roy Hodgson has, I have not worked as a manager form15 years like Moyes has. Does that mean I can' criticise them?

If were not allowed to give our opinions on football then why not just close RAWK down now?

My rake on the OP was that we lost the league's best player and now we are missing our best goalscorer. We have a new big-money signing who has a different style. Do we therefore need to make significant tactical changes due to the above?

What in Fowler's name is wrong with that?

Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline wellred99

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 12:28:48 pm »
I think we missed a trick not signing another striker to be honest. Borini and Lambert don't look up to standard so we have essentially 1 striker and he is struggling.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »
Its fair enough talking about tactics but you have to trust the manager and i just dont understand the negativity that creeps into threads like this. What is there to be negative about? We are playing Madrid soon, we have a fantastic squad full of young, talented players. Just relax and let it be.

To be fair, the only negativity in this thread has been from posters thinking my post somehow questions the manager or was taking a applications for Liverpool manager?

I mean come on guys, it's just an internet forum, I'm just talking about football. I didn't make this thread to then forward to Melwood! How ridiculous! I was just hoping to see people who know about the game talk about what they've seen the team struggle with in a more specific vocabulary, and maybe make their own humble insights, so that it would make my experience watching the game more rich and exciting.

Perhaps the title can be read into however folks want to read it, but this is just a place to discuses our set up and tactics thus far and what options might be not he table for Rodgers besides what we have seen so far. PoP used to make pre-match threads where he made some predictions about how we might could set up and play on a teams specific weaknesses, etc.

I can see now why he stopped posting!

I'll fuck off now as instructed for having the audacity to want to hear some tactical talk (which apparently means I want to take Rodgers job)! Sorry to all you true reds out there...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:53:33 pm by GregCharrua »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 12:54:35 pm »
He's not coming back. He got tired with arguing with people who thought they knew more about tactics, coaching and football in general then he did.

One can certainly see his point.  He is the Andy Dufresne of Shawshank, escaped after a river of shite.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 12:55:48 pm »
Thought it was more to do with being shot down by the usual suspects on here, for having the audacity to offer an opinion in the first place.

Carlito, this reading of the situation is truly ignorant.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »
Personally I'm looking forward to seeing how an exciting young manager deals with this season and all the difficulties that are coming his way.
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »
I know fuck all I'm not going to keep questioning the manager. My gut feeling is he knows what he's doing and we're on the right path.

Always go with the gut.

Offline rizthebiz

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 02:58:25 pm »
I just think Sterling must be played as a striker up alongside Balotelli whenever Sturridge is not playing.

Balotelli doesn't make any decent runs or open up space for any of our other players. Borini is not good enough or a big enough threat it seems.

Sterling is a real threat with his pace getting in behind. We need intensity of pressing up front and thats what Sterling and Lallana will give. Henderson played further forward against West Brom and the benefits were clear to see.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 03:00:44 pm »
He has already done that though. The easy path to take would have been to copy whole sale what we did last season from the very first game onwards this time out. We didn't, he had his reasons for trying a setup where Henderson positioned himself deeper to Gerrard, a variation of a 4 - 2 -3 - 1. It hasn't really clicked yet, we still look more penetrative in attack with last season's setup, but Rodgers can't be accused of not being proactive. We have also seen an attempt at playing Gerrard higher up the  pitch that you refer to (I love this too), hopefully that's done a fair bit this season.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »
To be fair, the only negativity in this thread has been from posters thinking my post somehow questions the manager or was taking a applications for Liverpool manager?

I mean come on guys, it's just an internet forum, I'm just talking about football. I didn't make this thread to then forward to Melwood! How ridiculous! I was just hoping to see people who know about the game talk about what they've seen the team struggle with in a more specific vocabulary, and maybe make their own humble insights, so that it would make my experience watching the game more rich and exciting.

Perhaps the title can be read into however folks want to read it, but this is just a place to discuses our set up and tactics thus far and what options might be not he table for Rodgers besides what we have seen so far. PoP used to make pre-match threads where he made some predictions about how we might could set up and play on a teams specific weaknesses, etc.

I can see now why he stopped posting!

I'll fuck off now as instructed for having the audacity to want to hear some tactical talk (which apparently means I want to take Rodgers job)! Sorry to all you true reds out there...

Not strictly speaking shooting you down but you created for some a vehicle to try to believe they know better than the boss.

Take the title which can only be read as it has been compiled

Does Rogers need to make ]more significant tactical changes

This immediately suggests that you think he does, you are not really asking a question or at least it is a loaded question, the premise is that things could be improved with different tactics and assumes posters in here are better equipped to know what these improvements are than Rodgers.

In the end most of you are wise after the events, for example he plays Lambert he scores a couple posters in here don't say much, or he plays Lambert and he doesn't score we get WTF is Rodgers playing Lambert for he does not suit the tactics.

The reason these threads are in my opinion most times unfit for its purpose is simply, nobody here has any  of the inside information that Rodgers has, he bases his tactics and selections on reams of information about us and the opposition.

If you said what tactics would you adopt and left any assessment of Rodgers out of the equation it may work though.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »

Good job not everyone thinks like that, there'd be nobody left.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »
Good job not everyone thinks like that, there'd be nobody left.

But he was right 99% of the time he argued with the people who thought he was full of shite.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 03:53:08 pm »
But he was right 99% of the time he argued with the people who thought he was full of shite.

"Boo Hoo, agree with me or I'll stop posting".

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 04:12:50 pm »
If this topic/thread, however it is labeled, is not appropriate for RAWK, then all hope is lost and RAWK will, imo, cease to be an interesting supporters' forum.

I am 100% with the OP in thinking (if I understood correctly) that, whilst one ought not discount 'personnel issues', the whole idea of managing involves tactically adjusting enough to get the most and best out of available personnel, while maintaining an overall 'philosophy' or approach.

What we deem or do not deem "significant tactical changes" is immaterial to what BR himself does, and whether he'll make ANY tactical changes.

I am sorry, I am all in favor of opprobrium being directed at mindless knee-jerkism (including my own) but treating any and all discussion of the manager's tactics by supporters as somehow implying that they/we think we know better than the manager overall, that they/we are privy to all the information and evidence he has, etc. is far-fetched.

In the final analysis, of course, people can express their opinion about the OP and posters like me and others, and we ought not take it as being "shot down". Until and unless this thread and posters participating in it are officially censored, there's no actual "shooting down". Opinions/words vs opinions/words.

If/when any of us thinks others are being abusive, there's always the option of reporting it to the moderators.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 04:30:47 pm »
Maybe there wouldn't have been an issue if the title had been "Try to impress RAWK by guessing what Rodgers will do next, even in spite of your relatively limited knowledge!"

That way, the posters who will obviously not be impressed by such guesswork will know to swerve the thread, and won't be drawn in to defend Rodgers/castigate modern fandom.  (Apologies to the MODS who are so inclined, hopefully one of you likes this sort of thing).

Like others have said, I find such discussion can enrich my viewing experience, coming from the extremely limited knowledge base that I am.  "Right, this fella made a decent case for Lallana being asked to get closer to Balotelli to work the 1-2's that Stevie brought into the last 20 minutes, I'll keep an eye out for that." I'm even willing to skim over a handful of posts where the poster obviously has ideas above his station to get there. 

Systematic policies designed to keep dickheads from posting simply won't stop them, because they don't care what the thread title/OP says when they have an agenda.  They'll know better than Rodgers regardless, and they'll do it wherever they damn well please. 

So- impress me!
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?