Author Topic: Wear Red, Bring a Scarf - Make the Kop Look Good Again  (Read 78053 times)

Offline jimbolfc86

• Anny Roader
Re: Wear Red, Bring a Scarf - Make the Kop Look Good Again
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »
It's like a bunch of fussy tarts I reckon this isn't a fashion show it's a football match.

But to a lot of Liverpool fans, and fans of other clubs, the 2 go hand in hand. As has been previously said about the "Casual" scene.

I haven't owned a replica since i was 20 (27 now), and for the younger generation i dont bat an eye lid but i have to say to see people me dad's age wearing a replica with the name of a 20 odd year old footballer on the back of it a bit weird!

Above all though it always ALWAYS comes down to attitude. Come to the game to support, and respect the traditions of the club.
when you hear the noise of the bill shankly boys....

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:04 pm »
There was nothing ever casual abar going the game in the late 70's and 80's.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:36 pm »
My college American football team does this for students. You show up and at the gate they give you a ticket with your seat number on it. That way you can show up with all your friends and sit next to each other (since they give out the tickets in order). With some sort of computerized matching system (matching the "voucher" you give them at the gate with the ticket you get there), they could keep track of where people are too, for security purposes and whatnot. Would be a ridiculous hassle to implement, but its an idea that definitely works.

If it works, then it should be looked at. And the best starting point would be "how can we get security etc to work under these circumstances?" We'd need to think about atmosphere first and build the rest around that.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:12 pm »
Never seen a ginger scouser... apart from Cilla  ;D

Cilla's not Scouse, the Tory slag gave that right up years ago
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
My first memory of the Kop is the sheer quntity of scarfs. It's what separted a Liverpool stand from a ifferent club's stand.
Me too. That's exactly why I started the thread. In addition to seeing blokes not singing, seeing a lack of scarves makes me feel like the Kop is losing its identity. Hopefully, as some have said, warmer weather and success on the pitch will help it improve. But success on the pitch will be boosted by decent support. And it'd be far better if we couldn't be accused of "only singing when we're winning".

I still think that if everyone brought a scarf and raised it above their head for YNWA they'd feel more invested in the game. Imagine standing there, singing and scarves are simply everywhere. Not just a few. Imagine everyone had one. The atmosphere would be incredible. Everyone would feel more involved and they'd carry on singing into the match. Imagine the anarchy after we score when everyone's whipping their scarves in the air whilst singing Ring of Fire.

That'd be boss.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:20:51 pm by RedTriumph »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
Massive respect for you for starting this thread, and I agree wholeheartedly. Anything fan-organised to improve the match atmosphere is a must because I think the majority of fans who attend Anfield now are cocks. Too many shite tourists here for a one off, not because they're Liverpool fans, with Man Utd shop bags with them (seen that 3 games running, and if you look at Anfield on Google Streets, you see one when looking at the club shop, wtf), too many dickheads moaning at the likes of Hendo and Skrtel that they are shite and booing/jeering, too many "proud" locals who come in their going out gear, don't sing or shout or bring a scarf, makes me fucking sick.

As much as I sing and shout, I have stopped wearing my Red top and bringing my scarf (mainly 'cos all the badges make it too heavy to swing round when we score) but you've twisted my arm, red shirt back on for the next match and I'll get another scarf for game day :) 
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
'Scousers,Scousers! where's your scarf's!?'
                                                    - Paddock Mancs to Liverpool fans in the  Score board end,Old Trafford circa 1980

Oh! how we laughed at those scarf bedecked, donkey jacket wearing, Air Weir booted fools, the following year , they too had shed their scarfs...a trend, nay! a culture, led by our very own had separated the knowing smarter fan from the scarf wearing horde...but that was then and this is now.

I don't know when I started wearing a scarf , but I certainly stopped in the late Seventies...however, I left behind fond memories .... my Kevin Keegan Silky...once tied around the wrist it ended up a Gordian Knot....my mam in her wisdom once washed it...the streak on Kevins faced made him look like a Bizzaro world Keegan....my main scarf in the mid to late seventies, like Kavah was the pinstriped fans around the world flags ..worn, naturally hanging down the side of your Birmo's!.. a gem..I loved that scarf, it enjoyed cup finals, league wins etc ...until some twat stole it on the way to a Liverpool away European game....stole it off the fucking coach whilst still in Liverpool!!

But there can only be one, my pride and joy, if ever , god forbid my house is on fire I will get my family out first and will ensure only one item comes with us...My  St.Etienne Scarf...the ziz-zag Allez Les Verts one ( gentlemen of a certain vintage will know what I mean) ..swapped it before that game ...a bloke offered me £20 for it afterwards...£20 in 1977!!....no way! ...that scarf embodies everything I cherish about that period.... defines that moment when we became the Bastion of Invincibility...Ive only worn it once in the intervening 36 years...the Kops last stand....promised meself I would wear it at the last game if we left Anfield...maybe, maybe I will get to wear it to see us lift the League again at Anfield...if not... I will wear it , finally , one more time.....it goes with me.

Since then only one momentus moment caused me to don a scarf...I couldn't help meself ...and Im bloody glad I did as I held it aloft during YNWA in Istanbul.

Scarfs will always equal Wool to me....so its not something for me , nor I suggest a certain generation of Scousers..but feel free to go with it...cos you may find  that if that  magic moment finally arrives  and we win the league and the Kop breaks into YNWA a load of fifty-something non scarf wearing Scousers will be asking to hold one end of your scarf!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:42:15 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50:16 pm »

Scarfs will always equal Wool to me....

I think you'll find, they're mostly polyester, these days.  ;)

Nice post though.  :D

Offline daddykewell

• Anny Roader
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »
I know it was an exhibition game but this was during the middle of winter in Melbourne (and yes it doesn't compare to middle of winter in Liverpool  ::))
Half of the crowd were in red, half were in black or dark winter clothing, but look at the effect when everyone lifts their scarf. :scarf

I know wearing football tops or casual gear is simply a matter of preference, but surely a scarf should be a staple supporter item.
If you're against modern football then you don't have to buy an official one with a Warrior logo on the side, just ask your Gran to knit one for you  ;D 

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #209 on: November 1, 2013, 01:34:49 am »
                                                    - Paddock Mancs to Liverpool fans in the  Score board end,Old Trafford circa 1980

Oh! how we laughed at those scarf bedecked, donkey jacket wearing, Air Weir booted fools, the following year , they too had shed their scarfs...a trend, nay! a culture, led by our very own had separated the knowing smarter fan from the scarf wearing horde...but that was then and this is now.

I don't know when I started wearing a scarf , but I certainly stopped in the late Seventies...however, I left behind fond memories .... my Kevin Keegan Silky...once tied around the wrist it ended up a Gordian Knot....my mam in her wisdom once washed it...the streak on Kevins faced made him look like a Bizzaro world Keegan....my main scarf in the mid to late seventies, like Kavah was the pinstriped fans around the world flags ..worn, naturally hanging down the side of your Birmo's!.. a gem..I loved that scarf, it enjoyed cup finals, league wins etc ...until some twat stole it on the way to a Liverpool away European game....stole it off the fucking coach whilst still in Liverpool!!

But there can only be one, my pride and joy, if ever , god forbid my house is on fire I will get my family out first and will ensure only one item comes with us...My  St.Etienne Scarf...the ziz-zag Allez Les Verts one ( gentlemen of a certain vintage will know what I mean) ..swapped it before that game ...a bloke offered me £20 for it afterwards...£20 in 1977!!....no way! ...that scarf embodies everything I cherish about that period.... defines that moment when we became the Bastion of Invincibility...Ive only worn it once in the intervening 36 years...the Kops last stand....promised meself I would wear it at the last game if we left Anfield...maybe, maybe I will get to wear it to see us lift the League again at Anfield...if not... I will wear it , finally , one more time.....it goes with me.

Since then only one momentus moment caused me to don a scarf...I couldn't help meself ...and Im bloody glad I did as I held it aloft during YNWA in Istanbul.

Scarfs will always equal Wool to me....so its not something for me , nor I suggest a certain generation of Scousers..but feel free to go with it...cos you may find  that if that  magic moment finally arrives  and we win the league and the Kop breaks into YNWA a load of fifty-something non scarf wearing Scousers will be asking to hold one end of your scarf!
It was worth starting the thread just to read that. I genuinely have a tear in my eye. Thank you. :)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 1, 2013, 09:10:22 am »
Cilla's not Scouse, the Tory slag gave that right up years ago

Cilla knows more about Surrey than she does Liverpool although she'll probably tell you different.

When I saw her getting interviewed by that fucking scumbag Piers Moron was the final straw.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 1, 2013, 09:40:01 am »
I think you'll find, they're mostly polyester, these days.  ;)

;D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 1, 2013, 10:56:32 am »

So basically, you wore scarfs up until it was suddenly was seen as 'uncool', and then used it as a stick to beat other teams fans with? Not having a go by the way, I think it's funny

It was worth starting the thread just to read that. I genuinely have a tear in my eye. Thank you. :)

It was a great post, but good luck getting red back on the kop, as the post does really represents the attitude you were trying to counter with your 'Wear Red, Bring a Scarf' campaign.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2013, 11:15:17 am by JTK »

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 1, 2013, 11:13:55 am »

Great post FlashingBlade. A welcome trip down memory lane. I think since 1978 I've dusted off my red pin striped 'supporters all over the world' crested scarf on about half a dozen occasions. Like you the last time was Istanbul, though it also made an appearance at the Chelsea semi. Bit like a comfort blanket and part superstition- cometh the biggest of matches, cometh out the iconic scarf. Appreciate the call for more of us to wear colours but for us auld arses from the 'casual' era it's just something I've never done.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #214 on: November 1, 2013, 11:29:51 am »
The bottom line in all this is for good or bad Liverpool people take enormous pride in their exceptionalism [definition: their difference from others]. It's so embedded in the psyche as to be virtually instinctive. A scouser will never conform to the herd instinct unless it's a herd of fellow scousers.

The only way we'd revert back to wearing colours en masse would be if everyone else stopped wearing them.

Mass flag/banner displays for big games is only considered ok since no other English club comes near to what we can provide - and only Celtic on a British scale [celtic being ok as they're Glasgow which is viewed as semi scouse. But scarfs and especially shirts are a no no.

The OP sentiments are understandable and admirable - and speaking as a [much] older generation local with I like to think a mind of his own - I'd love to see those sentiments realised. But as long as the rest of the country wear scarfs and shirts, then most locals wouldn't be seen dead in them.

Happy days eh.

;D

Offline merseymack

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: November 1, 2013, 11:38:57 am »
Be a full kit wanker if you want to. Why would you give a flying fuck what others think. Fuck 'em. pure and simple. I sometimes want to wear a jesters red and white hat just to hear the assholes tutting, bollocks to them. I'm off to build a rattle thingie for Saturday. :lickin

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #216 on: November 1, 2013, 11:40:26 am »
The bottom line in all this is for good or bad Liverpool people take enormous pride in their exceptionalism [definition: their difference from others]. It's so embedded in the psyche as to be virtually instinctive. A scouser will never conform to the herd instinct unless it's a herd of fellow scousers.

The only way we'd revert back to wearing colours en masse would be if everyone else stopped wearing them.

Mass flag/banner displays for big games is only considered ok since no other English club comes near to what we can provide - and only Celtic on a British scale [celtic being ok as they're Glasgow which is viewed as semi scouse. But scarfs and especially shirts are a no no.

The OP sentiments are understandable and admirable - and speaking as a [much] older generation local with I like to think a mind of his own - I'd love to see those sentiments realised. But as long as the rest of the country wear scarfs and shirts, then most locals wouldn't be seen dead in them.

Happy days eh.

;D

With all due respect, most local people I've seen on match day do wear red. I might be wrong but I don't think I am.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #217 on: November 1, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
With all due respect, most local people I've seen on match day do wear red. I might be wrong but I don't think I am.

Bang goes my theory of scouse exceptionalism then

;D

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #218 on: November 1, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
Bang goes my theory of scouse exceptionalism then

;D

Haha, I dont' think your theory is wrong, I just don't really think it applies to wearing colours, it can't apply to everything.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 1, 2013, 12:38:48 pm »
Agree totally, I brought my fiance (Aussie) along to Anfield and she was super keen to get a red scarf so she could hold it up during YNWA, even though she has only really been supporting the last 3-4 years she already understands the importance of having a scarf to show your support to the team. (Also to her massive credit she took one look at the awful PINK LFC scarves on sale at stalls outside the ground and declared "They are dreadful, why would anyone ever get one of them?!")

If even a girl from Melbourne who has only supported us for a few years can understand that its a good idea to get a red scarf and get behind the Mighty Reds then there's no excuse for anyone else not to!
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Jrkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #220 on: November 1, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »
Great post FlashingBlade. A welcome trip down memory lane. I think since 1978 I've dusted off my red pin striped 'supporters all over the world' crested scarf on about half a dozen occasions. Like you the last time was Istanbul, though it also made an appearance at the Chelsea semi. Bit like a comfort blanket and part superstition- cometh the biggest of matches, cometh out the iconic scarf. Appreciate the call for more of us to wear colours but for us auld arses from the 'casual' era it's just something I've never done.
Still got my old one, but I haven't worn it since I ripped off the old frayed white tassels and badly stitched on some new red ones. Doesn't look or feel right anymore. As for wearing colours, never at away games and for homes I might bring a scarf in winter. I agree that the Kop looks better when everyone's holding their scarves up but things change you know?
As for Liverpool fans calling themselves casuals or ultras, when did that start?

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #221 on: November 1, 2013, 02:02:00 pm »

I think you are dead right.

I think the only people that are dead set against colours are those "To cool for school" hipsters that will wear nothing but Pretty Green Parka's and the rarest of rare adidas trabs they can find, on here anyway.

Then there are of course, the proper Auld Arses. The proper ones that own one parka, the one that they bought in 1982 and it has that horrible grey fleece around the hood, and they don't give a shit about orignals and casuals and all the other bullshit terms that smart arses try to refer to, to make them selves look smart and clever. But hold on a minute... they look no different to the next smart arse 4 seats down, who also chooses "Terrace wear" to give him that fashion edge over all his red wearing, scarf holding fellow supporters.

Sad thing is, there is nothing like that moment, when we've scored and everyone is singing ring of fire and swinging their scarfs madly above their heads, and you can't join in..

Not that you'd want to..

Cos you are just to cool.  8)
« Last Edit: November 1, 2013, 02:04:23 pm by Liamski-la »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #222 on: November 1, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
Ironic, isn't it, that by trying to be different some locals are making themselves irrecognisable from the average Manc who's on an away day at Anfield.

Hate to break it to you, lads, but Adidas trabs are worn everywhere else in the country, too. Young people down here in Somerset regularly wear casual trackies, too. From my point of view, your desire to appear different to match-going "wools" is making you look anything but individual. There's nothing Scouse about your choice of clothes. Your idea of "casual" is the same around the country.

I wear clothes that say "I'm a member of Shankly's 'society'. I might be a wool but I love my club and I'm happy to be identified with it."

Your individuality isn't down to what you wear, it's down to your attitude as a Scouser, which is what you should truly be proud of.

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #223 on: November 1, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »
Ironic, isn't it, that by trying to be different some locals are making themselves irrecognisable from the average Manc who's on an away day at Anfield.

Hate to break it to you, lads, but Adidas trabs are worn everywhere else in the country, too. Young people down here in Somerset regularly wear casual trackies, too. From my point of view, your desire to appear different to match-going "wools" is making you look anything but individual. There's nothing Scouse about your choice of clothes. Your idea of "casual" is the same around the country.

I wear clothes that say "I'm a member of Shankly's 'society'. I might be a wool but I love my club and I'm happy to be identified with it."

Your individuality isn't down to what you wear, it's down to your attitude as a Scouser, which is what you should truly be proud of.

Agree with you there.

I feel proud and privalged to wear the red of Liverpool when I go to the match. Inside the stadium is where everyone should unite and be as one.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #224 on: November 1, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »

What about the Scouse uniform?

Black North Face jacket
Black Nike trakkies
Black Nike cap

and of course hands down the front of their duds on their respective junk?

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 1, 2013, 02:41:44 pm »

Black North Face jacket
Black Nike trakkies
Black Nike cap

Now I've seen more scousers wear that get up than any terrace wear.

I think its the out of towners and wools that wear the terrace wear to try and fit in to their perception of what a scouser looks like.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 1, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »

Black North Face jacket
Black Nike trakkies
Black Nike cap

Thing is it doesn't look fashionable/casual at all wearing the matching colours black trackie top and bottoms with cap and trainees, you just look like a scruffy fucking tramp.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #227 on: November 1, 2013, 02:52:16 pm »
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #228 on: November 1, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »
Thing is it doesn't look fashionable/casual at all wearing the matching colours black trackie top and bottoms with cap and trainees, you just look like a scruffy fucking tramp.
They think they're "casuals". They're just meffs. ;)

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #229 on: November 1, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

All bought from JD Sports with cash and the plassy JD bag to prove it lar.

Offline redmanjasper

• Kemlynite
« Reply #230 on: November 1, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

I think the only people that are dead set against colours are those "To cool for school" hipsters that will wear nothing but Pretty Green Parka's and the rarest of rare adidas trabs they can find, on here anyway.

Then there are of course, the proper Auld Arses. The proper ones that own one parka, the one that they bought in 1982 and it has that horrible grey fleece around the hood, and they don't give a shit about orignals and casuals and all the other bullshit terms that smart arses try to refer to, to make them selves look smart and clever. But hold on a minute... they look no different to the next smart arse 4 seats down, who also chooses "Terrace wear" to give him that fashion edge over all his red wearing, scarf holding fellow supporters.

Sad thing is, there is nothing like that moment, when we've scored and everyone is singing ring of fire and swinging their scarfs madly above their heads, and you can't join in..

Not that you'd want to..

+1

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #231 on: November 1, 2013, 03:07:23 pm »
Wear what you want. My opinion is that if everyone wore red and wore a scarf they held up, it would create a better atmosphere.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 1, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »
They think they're "casuals". They're just meffs. ;)
There's a difference?

I thought the casual hoolie look went out years ago, along with Oasis and the 90s.
What happened the time when scousers were trend-setters, not trend followers?

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
  • To Lead, You must follow.
« Reply #233 on: November 1, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »
I think you are dead right.

Not that you'd want to..

Pretty Greens a bit Manc if you ask me, rare adidas trabbs don't knock them there embedded in Kop culture,
and has been stated earlier there's no correlation between if you make purchases from the club shop and if you sing/join in, moot point.

Deck yourself out in some nice terrace wear you'll feel less jealous ;)

'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' -Bill Shankly

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 1, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
Pretty Greens a bit Manc if you ask me, rare adidas trabbs don't knock them there embedded in Kop culture,
and has been stated earlier there's no correlation between if you make purchases from the club shop and if you sing/join in, moot point.

Deck yourself out in some nice terrace wear you'll feel less jealous ;)

No no, you are right pretty green is very Manc. I do like the Parka's tho. I also like my adidas originals to. I own eight different flavours of trainees with the trimm stars I bought last month but I'm not such a prick as to use it as a beating stick ;)

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #235 on: November 1, 2013, 04:22:25 pm »
The sentiment is great but too much ignorance in this thread, posters should learn more of the history and identity of the club, with this knowledge you can then understand why being casual is an original scouse phenomenon and should be celebrated rather than panned by posters who clearly do not understand it.

There's people saying casual went out of fashion? hahahha

don't remeber flares or the bee gees look coming back into fashion after the casual movement, and there hasnt been any significant mainstream ashion movement since.

Were all Casuals, unless you don't wear branded clothing, training shoes or any sort of sportswear.

The Casual scene has changed the face of UK fashion scene, never to revert, but because we were the trailblazers, and what's more scousers are still the best dressed fans, we have the right to celebrate that and will continue to do so in a uniquely scouse way.
'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' -Bill Shankly

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: November 1, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »
No no, you are right pretty green is very Manc. I do like the Parka's tho. I also like my adidas originals to. I own eight different flavours of trainees with the trimm stars I bought last month but I'm not such a prick as to use it as a beating stick ;)

Fair enough, and do you sing at the match?
I'm sure you do, so why are you making a connection between casual culture and not singing/ judging people? If your not judgemental then why would people who have similar interests/dress sense be just that?

Sorry for being a t*t there, but there's alot of people with a resentment of casual culture, which in my eyes is a resentment of the club itself.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 1, 2013, 04:45:12 pm »

Lovely read that , heres a little bit more to read up on and also the book that celebrates the era
" where did yer get your trainers from " .  A commonly asked question around 78

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2006/11/23/trainees_davehewitson_feature.shtml

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #238 on: November 1, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
Fair enough, and do you sing at the match?
I'm sure you do, so why are you making a connection between casual culture and not singing/ judging people? If your not judgemental then why would people who have similar interests/dress sense be just that?

Sorry for being a t*t there, but there's alot of people with a resentment of casual culture, which in my eyes is a resentment of the club itself.
Is there a website or article which I can read and I can learn about the "casual" culture? I'm not for one minute suggesting I'd adopt it, but I'd like to know as much as I can, and try and understand. At first glance a Google search turns up a few pages but most of what I'm finding is written by Mancs, though it seems accepted that Liverpool led the way.

EDIT: Cheers gazzam, you beat me to it.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2013, 04:55:31 pm by RedTriumph »

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #239 on: November 1, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »
You adopt it every time you put a pair of trainers on mate. Haven't read any books on it like, there must be posters on her who were alive during that era that could tell you were it all began etc, but my understanding of it is this:

-The status quo was that normal working class people did not tend to wear branded clothing in the sense of adidas etc.
- Theft was ingrained in Liverpool culture at the time (the docks etc), theft was not so much of an issue on the continent as the European mainland was performing better economically at the time, therefore scousers on European away trips would steal from boutiques etc and bring back clothing not available to the UK market, giving them an edge that could not be replicated by other UK fans at the time.
-Liverpool fans became the best dressed at the time with which European sportswear - smart straight cut jeans, cagoules, smart trainers and a sharp haircut.
-Colours ceased to be worn on away trips to keep a low profile and to give the Anfield Ultra's an edge.

That's my understanding it be good if some older fans could correct me/add to it, but one thing I do know is that the original scouse Casual Look was cool as Fuck.