Author Topic: Libpool, Libpool Top of the League  (Read 3595 times)

Offline nevoo36

• Not One Of Us.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Libpool, Libpool Top of the League
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
Ok, maybe a bit premature but the burning question among many Liverpool supporters is "Can we stay there? "

If I was Brendan Rodgers I would pin the league table up before the match and ask everyone in the squad how much they want to stay there, no better team talk than that.

Many will state no chance!

The odds have been beaten many times before in all walks of life.

Liverpool winning the CL in 2005
Denmark in 1992
Greece winning European Championships
Boris Becker Wimbledon
Wigan winning FA Cup
Wimbledon FFS

Ok all sporting events but odds beaten all the same and for that I am in.

I will say it again Libpool, Libpool Top of the League!

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
Re: Libpool, Libpool Top of the League
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:46 am »
Is great isn't it mate?  Even though it's very early of course.

One game at a time as ever...  Swansea will be a test.  I can't work out in my head whether or not a draw will be an OK result down there or not.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:56 am »
If there was 1 think I ever took from Rafa and his time here was the '1 game at a time' mantra.

Right now its getting our lads home injury free. Get those with niggles fit in time to batter Swansea.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:17:37 am »
Different kettle of fish altogether. All the events you mention bar 1 are won over 6 or 7 matches. The league is 6 times as long. Too many people are getting carried away after 3 games. We should be beating Stoke at home. We should be beating Villa away. Games against Man U are always tough, but we came out on top. Happy days, 9 out of 9. But talking about possibilities of winning the league is just ridiculous, and unrealistic.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:18:31 am »
Ok, maybe a bit premature but the burning question among many Liverpool supporters is "Can we stay there? "

If I was Brendan Rodgers I would pin the league table up before the match and ask everyone in the squad how much they want to stay there, no better team talk than that.

Many will state no chance!

The odds have been beaten many times before in all walks of life.

Liverpool winning the CL in 2005
Denmark in 1992
Greece winning European Championships
Boris Becker Wimbledon
Wigan winning FA Cup
Wimbledon FFS

Ok all sporting events but odds beaten all the same and for that I am in.

I will say it again Libpool, Libpool Top of the League!

Doesnt do us any favours at all even talking about it IMO.

And to be honest, the examples you give are completely irrelevant, considering they are all cup competitions and not 10 month leagues involving 38 games.

Its not that I dont believe, anything is possible but logic tells me we are not ready for anything like that.

Also, I'd much rather our progress goes well under the radar this time round and in a quiet downplayed way, rather than 'this is our year' talk.

Just my opinion of course.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:03 am »
Next game.
Only game.
Delete thread.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:52 am »
This could be our ye...ah.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:37:24 am »

Actually the pressure could be damaging. So far all the information from the players has been about how much they're enjoying going out to play their football, and concentrating solely on their football. Start thinking about irrelevant things whilst on the pitch, like a league position, and suddenly there becomes an air of desperation to your football. That isn't the approach Brendan is taking at all.

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:06 am »
 'Ay, here we are with problems at the top of the league.'
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
The way I see it, winning 3 from 3 has given us a nice little buffer from when the inevitable disappointing result comes in. We are 8 points better off than the first 3 games of last season and 5 points better off than the like for like comparison from last season. Either way we're doing well and should give us confidence and hope that we can increase our points tally from last season.

I've no problem in aiming high or whatever, and it's great to enjoy being top of the League for the first time in ages - just hope that people keep level headed when the inevitable slip ups along the way come too.

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
Quite frankly I'm of the opinion that you should always be aiming to win anything you play in. I hope Rodgers was whispering in their ears from the start of the season that a title was not out of reach, that they could do the impossible. We are Liverpool, and we aim to win every single match, that is what we want, so we are therefore title challengers at the beginning of every season. Yes, we drop off, it becomes impossible, but that should always be the goal. 100% wins. No draws, no losses. Nobody is so much better than us that we can't beat them. We are top of the league, tell the lads to just keep winning.

Does this create pressure? Yes. But if you want to be the best, you have to learn how to play under pressure. United are brilliant at going out and delivering under pressure. Better we find out now who can deliver under pressure in our team, or at least, let them learn how to deal with the pressure, than to just accept defeat.

Because that is what 2nd place is to me. Defeat. 2nd place should be nothing to a competitive sportsman with ambition. Ignore commercial and financial aspects, that is nothing to do with a player.

Just keep winning.

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
Can we stay there?

No. Absolutely not. And I wont trick myself into believing we can, especially after 3 games of a 38 game season.

There are clubs with squads far stronger than our own for us to challenge, but I'm encouraged by the improvement.

Like others have said, one game at a time. I am certainly enjoying looking at the league table again today though

Online Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »
In short, no we can't stay there. Not enough depth in the squad as and when the injuries hit.

However, we shoudl enjoy it while it lasts. This weekend's fixtures look interesting. If some of the other big teams drop points as they very easily could and we go into the Swansea game without massive pressure, we could do well and even extend our lead at the top. That in itself will give us confidence going into a run of games where you would fancy our chances.

May stay at the top for a few weeks, but ultimately we will be caught sooner rather than later.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline The Grim Reaper

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • **** PROUD INTERNET TERRORIST ****
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:26 pm »
I cant see any reason why we shouldn't be aiming to stay there. We have a strong squad in comparison to the last few seasons. We are Liverpool and should start every season with aim of winning the league. Rodgers is doing fantastic with the squad and you see the confidence throughout. People are saying we don't have a strong enough squad, I beg to differ as we have a squad where every player wants to win and is proud to pull on the shirt. That in its self is worth a few points this season. We are showing fight which is good. We have made a good start yes, now lets see us push on from there and see where we end up, one game at a time.
\\\\\\\"Never Argue With Idiots. They Will Bring You Down To Their Level and Beat You With Experience\\\\\\\

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »
I have said to my mate before now, Liverpool will next win the league when expectation is non existent...I do actually think that this season may well be one where a team that isn't expected to win the league actually does so .....that could anyone of spurs, arsenal or even us ....i have a feeling that man u will not get top two , and city could go one way or the oher depending on whether their band of mercenaries decide they can be arsed.....for chelsea, see the city analogy.....but as someone said earlier , one game at a time

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »
Quite frankly I'm of the opinion that you should always be aiming to win anything you play in. I hope Rodgers was whispering in their ears from the start of the season that a title was not out of reach, that they could do the impossible. We are Liverpool, and we aim to win every single match, that is what we want, so we are therefore title challengers at the beginning of every season. Yes, we drop off, it becomes impossible, but that should always be the goal. 100% wins. No draws, no losses. Nobody is so much better than us that we can't beat them. We are top of the league, tell the lads to just keep winning.

Does this create pressure? Yes. But if you want to be the best, you have to learn how to play under pressure. United are brilliant at going out and delivering under pressure. Better we find out now who can deliver under pressure in our team, or at least, let them learn how to deal with the pressure, than to just accept defeat.

Because that is what 2nd place is to me. Defeat. 2nd place should be nothing to a competitive sportsman with ambition. Ignore commercial and financial aspects, that is nothing to do with a player.

Just keep winning.

Outstanding post.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:38 pm »
one game at a time.
The West is finished, China is the future

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 02:34:15 pm »
I tried to resurrect this as it's my favourite ever thread. The fact it was SO old (including when we were top of the Europa mini league) must count for something!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:27 pm »
Next game.
Only game.
Delete thread.

leave it alone mate.... let people have a say and a bit of hope!

of course we wont stay there, but lets have a giggle and smile while we disscuss it... 

posts like yours do my head in!!!

At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
Ugh, anyone even looking at the league table after three games....just stop it.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »
87:13