Author Topic: Round Table: Burnley 0 v Liverpool 1  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Round Table: Burnley 0 v Liverpool 1
« on: December 28, 2014, 01:52:37 am »
I watched this game in two different bars along the coastal esplanade of a resort on an island off the coast of Africa somewhere. The two pubs involved had both opted to show the Liverpool and Manyoo games on various screens but both also elected for the Mancish sound. It was a bit surreal, largely on a fairly simple dissonant basis, watching one game while being forced to listen to another but made more unsettling by having to listen to Michael Owen's retail park drone on the topic of Rooney just being a top, top man while wondering why that Burnley 6 was winning every single header of the game. And I was sober.

So, I think it's fair to say we slightly robbed that one. While we dominated a terrible game, we also brought our by now customary accommodating nature in defence. All Boyd had to do to Sakho was glance at him and our French WC star promptly sat on his arse, and he was one of our better players. The same Burnley player also seemed to have the Indian sign on Markovic, although I think our boy won out in the floppy hair stakes. Our goalkeeping conundrum took another twist with Jones walking off and Mignolet jittering on. He punched a few alright and made his tv save but also provided a head in hands moment involving a goal line and a quite astonishing failure to grasp simple physics.

Happily, Burnley took our welcoming acquiescence as an undeserved elevation in status and pushed up the pitch just a bit beyond their means, meaning it was only a matter of time before someone would eventually poke the ball beyond their pedestrian centre halves to one of the fastest players in the game. I could be generous and say that our manager pulled an Ali style rope-a-dope on them. 

On the other hand, Lallana is looking like the player Southampton had last season, a latterday McManaman. He has gorgeous balance and touch, and ceaseless movement, in attack or defence but what has come back to him is the arrogance, the confidence of accepting the ball and making the opposition wonder what he's going to do, rather than worrying how to keep the ball. It's a perceptible change in his playing demeanour, he is more relaxed, more fluid and carefree. I like him.

I still haven't heard why Touré went off but his replacement caught the eye. Emre Can turned in a bullish and bullying performance in a position he was never seen or heard tell of, indeed one that few players get to play that often. Coutinho looked good in spurts. But our nuts and bolts, Gerrard and Lucas, were too often overrun and more frequently circumvented in an effort to bamboozle our new back three/five right where that / is, get Sakho or Touré isolated and hope for chaos. Dyche's tactics weren't sophisticated but they were effective enough against us to deserve something from the game.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table: Burnley 0 v Liverpool 1
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »
Here's a hard fought win Round Table. Enjoy/Discuss and ta to Corkboy!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:34:44 pm by Haaaa-rinder "The Angels" Singh »
Yep.

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 06:20:29 pm »
Bit of a strange one as we definitely didn't deserve to win but then I can't really remember too many shots by Burnley either bar the one in the first half where they hit the post. As someone said to me on the coach on the way back it was a real battle and not as easy as people where thinking but we won. Usually the teams heads would drop and they would concede so fair play to them for going on for the win.

Thought Henderson was wasted on the right and would like him to play more centrally. Markovic was also poor but if he wants to get used to the English game then these are the matches that he will have to play in, and I think he will will take away a lot from Turf Moor that can only help him in the long run. I think that keeping a clean sheet away from home should give the defence a confidence boost. Painful performance to watch but rather have matches go that way than the excitement against Arsenal which still only got the one point

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:23:52 pm »

I still haven't heard why Touré went off but his replacement caught the eye. Emre Can turned in a bullish and bullying performance in a position he was never seen or heard tell of, indeed one that few players get to play that often.

Pretty sure he played there for the German under 21s the other month and he has done it a few times in the Bundesliga as well
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:26:03 pm by kirkbywool »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:35:23 pm »
The story of the game was Burnley's pressing tactics and Liverpool's inability to deal with them whether it be through a change in shape or personnel.  Burnley had their forward press up on whatever CB had the ball and then their 2 most advanced midfielders sit on both Lucas and Gerrard.  Whereas against Arsenal the outlet was Coutinho or Lallana in space, Burnley took this away excellently though by pushing their CB's up onto both of them.  This left as an outlet either Sterling over the top or balls to Henderson or Markovic on the wings, in the majority of times this was chosen the ball was turned over quickly as Burnley outworked Liverpool to almost every secondary ball.

One interesting thing in this is most outlet balls to Sterling were in front of him to hold up, very little was ever hit into the channels for him to run onto which you would think would be the most obvious answer after 15-20mins of seeing Henderson and Markovic have almost no ability to retain the ball from the GK or CB.  Not until Lambert was brought on late in the game were we consistently able to move the ball up the pitch and retain possession while doing so.

Lastly, we need to be thankful that Burnley's players are just not that good.  Having been completely out thought and out played for the majority of the match I think we have Burnley's inability to get a single shot on target to thank more than anything LFC offered into the game for the 3 points.

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 07:12:31 pm »
On the other hand, Lallana is looking like the player Southampton had last season, a latterday McManaman. He has gorgeous balance and touch, and ceaseless movement, in attack or defence but what has come back to him is the arrogance, the confidence of accepting the ball and making the opposition wonder what he's going to do, rather than worrying how to keep the ball. It's a perceptible change in his playing demeanour, he is more relaxed, more fluid and carefree. I like him.
Good shout. Lallana was dreadfully unlucky to pick up that pre-season injury but he seems to be getting better and better as he gets the games under his belt. There's a hell of a player inside that lad - a real 'Playmaker'. 
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »
I watched this game in two different bars along the coastal esplanade of a resort on an island off the coast of Africa somewhere. The two pubs involved had both opted to show the Liverpool and Manyoo games on various screens but both also elected for the Mancish sound. It was a bit surreal, largely on a fairly simple dissonant basis, watching one game while being forced to listen to another but made more unsettling by having to listen to Michael Owen's retail park drone on the topic of Rooney just being a top, top man while wondering why that Burnley 6 was winning every single header of the game. And I was sober.

So, I think it's fair to say we slightly robbed that one. While we dominated a terrible game, we also brought our by now customary accommodating nature in defence. All Boyd had to do to Sakho was glance at him and our French WC star promptly sat on his arse, and he was one of our better players. The same Burnley player also seemed to have the Indian sign on Markovic, although I think our boy won out in the floppy hair stakes. Our goalkeeping conundrum took another twist with Jones walking off and Mignolet jittering on. He punched a few alright and made his tv save but also provided a head in hands moment involving a goal line and a quite astonishing failure to grasp simple physics.

Happily, Burnley took our welcoming acquiescence as an undeserved elevation in status and pushed up the pitch just a bit beyond their means, meaning it was only a matter of time before someone would eventually poke the ball beyond their pedestrian centre halves to one of the fastest players in the game. I could be generous and say that our manager pulled an Ali style rope-a-dope on them. 

I still haven't heard why Touré went off but his replacement caught the eye. Emre Can turned in a bullish and bullying performance in a position he was never seen or heard tell of, indeed one that few players get to play that often. Coutinho looked good in spurts. But our nuts and bolts, Gerrard and Lucas, were too often overrun and more frequently circumvented in an effort to bamboozle our new back three/five right where that / is, get Sakho or Touré isolated and hope for chaos. Dyche's tactics weren't sophisticated but they were effective enough against us to deserve something from the game.

I like him, as well.  Still, in the first half, he was okayish at best. In fact, if I were not hedging my bets to be comely, I would call his performance frustrating (given what we know he can do). The number of times he overran, miscontrolled, overdribbled, etc., especially before we scored was annoying. Furthermore, for all his industry in forward-marking/pressing, he too often allows the man he's pressing to 'get turned' in the most obvious way.

Two good games in a row is what I want from him.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
The only thing that really has to be said about the match is '3 points'.

In 10 years not a soul on Earth will remember it happened.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »
3 points through a Sterling and Coutinho combination, and a clean sheet. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:29:32 pm by Red Bird »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:58 pm »
"Eking out highly unglamorous 0-1 away wins over lowly teams at Christmas is the vital first step on the path to eventual world domination. Death by football will follow as surely as the Yin follows the Yang at 2.43 AM on New Years Day. It is known."

Su Shi
1057 AD
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
3 points through a Sterling and Coutinho combination, and a clean sheet. Nothing more.
[insert mode] ...through luck (the goal post) and Lucas intervention...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »
Am I alone in noticing (?) that we looked MUCH better in the 2nd half, especially after Rickie Lambert came in for Coutinho (nothing against Coutinho, in general or in this game, btw)?

With Can at RCB playing very well (some excellent passing, too, forward, vertical, mid-range) and more of our play switching to the right flank, and with Lambert at CF and Sterling in the 2 of our 3421, we were much smoother and more effective going forward.

Personally, I would use Borini as CF when energy and movement are required and Lambert when strength and holding-up the ball are required, Balotelli when whatever exactly he offers/excels at is required etc, notwithstanding Sterling's performances in that role recently. Kinda reminds me of my preferences re the 'controller' role.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:25:23 pm by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
I don't know if we were much better, but we did play better. Not sure how much that has to do with the Lambert / Coutinho change though. It seemed to me that Can's introduction stifled their left side and they didn't seem to be able to find another outlet. I don't know if this will work equally well against other teams (e.g. Swansea). As for Lambert, he's caught too much in an offside position for my liking... maybe because he's not the fastest player. But he does offer something different.

I just don't think that Henderson and Markovic are the answer to out new wingback system, but the system is more important than the players carrying it out, so... I'll watch and see.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."