Author Topic: Pre-Match Xmas Cracker - Burnley vs. Liverpool - Friday 26th December - 3:00pm  (Read 32746 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
vs.

Current Form
Liverpool 8pts/18pts
Liverpool 2 - 2 Arsenal
Man United 3 - 0 Liverpool
Liverpool 0 - 0 Sunderland
Leicester 1 - 3 Liverpool
Liverpool 1 - 0 Stoke
C Palace 3 - 1 Liverpool

Burnley 8pts/18pts
Spurs 2 - 1 Burnley
Burnley 1 - 0 Southampton
QPR 2 - 0 Burnley
Burnley 1 - 1 Newcastle
Burnley 1 - 1 Aston Villa
Stoke 1 - 2 Burnley

Current Injuries
Liverpool
D Lovren----------------Groin Strain-------------------5 days
G Johnson--------------Groin Strain-------------------4 weeks
D Sturridge-------------Hip/Thigh Injury--------------3 weeks
J Saez De La Torre----Groin/Pelvis Injury-----------2 weeks
J Flanagan--------------Knee Injury-------------------no date

Burnley
S Ward------------------Ankle/Foot Injury------------no date
M Duff-------------------Calf/Shin Injury---------------2 weeks
M Taylor----------------Calf/Shin Injury---------------3 weeks
S Vokes----------------ACL Knee Injury---------------2 weeks

Previous Premier League Fixtures
Sunday April 25 2010
Burnley 0 - 4 Liverpool

Saturday September 12 2009
Liverpool 4 - 0 Burnley

The last time these two sides met in the Premiership back in 2010 a brace from Steven Gerrard followed by further goals from Maxi Rodriguez and Ryan Babel put the nail in the coffin for Burnley's survival hopes, officially relegating them from the top flight.
There's been a lot of football played since then but arguably, four and a half years on, both look in a pretty similar position, Burnley in the bottom 3 and Liverpool comfortably in midtable. The difference being, there's still a lot of football left in the season and a great deal for both teams to play for.

Probable Teams
Liverpool
------------------------Jones

----------Toure-------Skrtel-------Sakho

Henderson----Lucas----Gerrard----Markovic

------Coutinho-----Sterling-----Lallana

Burnley
-----------------------Heaton

Trippier-------Keane-------Shackell-------Mee

-----------------Boyd-------Jones

----------Ings-------Marney-------Arfield

----------------------Barnes

Questions ahead of the game....
1. Will Rodgers persist with Jones in goal?
2. Should we and will we continue with 3-4-3?
3. Can Lovren recover from injury in time for the game?
4. After an under par performance from Gerrard against Arsenal, is this the one to rest him in?
5. Is Henderson the "right choice" at RWB?
6. After the red mist descended for Borini is there an opportunity for a young striker/winger to make the bench? Sinclair? Yesil?
7. With 3 games in a week, do we need to think about rotating/resting anyone else?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:10:22 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Christmas cracker number two from Titi Camara :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Wigan Red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Cant wait for this, love goin the footy boxing day. You get that feeling that sooner or later the chances we are creating are going to start hitting the back of the net. 3-0 to us.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
1. Will Rodgers persist with Jones in goal?
I think so, his statement after the Man U game that he'd been dropped 'indefinitely' suggests to me that, rightly or wrongly, Jones will be in the side for more than three games.

2. Should we and will we continue with 3-4-3?
Yes I would have thought so, while there's still cracks defensively, I feel our performances against Bournemouth and Arsenal were our best two since the Spurs victory and our players look largely comfortable in the system.

3. Can Lovren recover from injury in time for the game?
Whether he can or not, I'd prefer to stick with Sakho, who I think was ok against Bournemouth and Arsenal and will get better as his match sharpness returns.

4. After an under par performance from Gerrard against Arsenal, is this the one to rest him in?
I'd have no qualms with him being left out and Can coming in, but I think it's more likely he'll be rested against Swansea as I can't see him starting on a Monday and again on a Thursday.

5. Is Henderson the "right choice" at RWB?
I think while it's not his best position, he's probably the best we've got available to play there at the moment, as for me Manquillo's solid in a back four but doesn't offer enough going forward to be a wing-back.

6. After the red mist descended for Borini is there an opportunity for a young striker/winger to make the bench? Sinclair? Yesil?
I don't see it happening myself especially if Mario's fit but if he isn't available I'm all for it.

7. With 3 games in a week, do we need to think about rotating/resting anyone else?
All depends on how the players are feeling in training I guess, but for the time being I'm happy for us to field as close to an unchanged side as possible given the encouraging signs in recent games with the current formation and personnel.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One of my favourite football Days of the year, really hope we turn up and put the kind of performance we have done in the past few weeks minus the individual errors.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is Super Mario back for this? Think we'll see Gerrard rested for this with Can coming in.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
Expecting an easy win. That's all.
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
It's a must win.

Same team but Mignolet and Moreno in for Jones and Skrtel would do me.

Get the 3 points then rest Gerrard and Sterling against Swansea where we have the benefit of being at home.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Well it won't be be.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Same team but Mario isn't of sterling up top.

With sterling instead of Henderson.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
no return date for flanagan still? what's happened to him?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Keep a clean sheet and we win.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
They're beginning to look a lot like 6 pointers
Every game I go....
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Surely Mario is back for this?
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Mario is back assuming he's fit, the Arsenal game counted as his 1 suspension game.  He's only played in this setup half-fit at United for what, 20 mins?  I'd start him with basically everything the same sans Manquillo for Gerrard with Henderson moving inside.  Or Moreno for Gerrard and Markovic taking the RWB.

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan

Lol.

Can't see the game, at work till 8 o'clock but let's get those 3 points reds. Nice little bunch of fixtures coming up so time to grab the points.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
Mario is back assuming he's fit, the Arsenal game counted as his 1 suspension game. He's only played in this setup half-fit at United for what, 20 mins?  I'd start him with basically everything the same sans Manquillo for Gerrard with Henderson moving inside.  Or Moreno for Gerrard and Markovic taking the RWB.
Yes, and could of had 4 goals if De Gea wasn't playing a blinder.

Offline EssRED

• Kemlynite
Now that we're playing better, we really need to take advantage of some not too tricky games over xmas and build momentum for Sturridge's hopefully soon return

Not sure if it would be best suited to an away game on boxing day, but would love to see Markovic and Moreno as the wing backs. Henderson brings a lot to the team but not as a RWB.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Can we get Djimi Traore in for one match?

He's a legend at Burnley.  ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Should win this one. Do have a soft spot for Burnley.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
1. Will Rodgers persist with Jones in goal? Hopefully not.
2. Should we and will we continue with 3-4-3? Yes, we've looked much better playing this formation.
3. Can Lovren recover from injury in time for the game? Hopefully not.
4. After an under par performance from Gerrard against Arsenal, is this the one to rest him in? I'd be tempted to move Henderson inside, put Gerrard on the bench, move Moreno to LWB and Markovic to RWB, though I don't want to tinker too much with Markovic's form right now.
5. Is Henderson the "right choice" at RWB? I honestly don't know. He can do a job there but do we have any other option? I'm not sure I want Manquillo in that position, and we could move Markovic...
6. After the red mist descended for Borini is there an opportunity for a young striker/winger to make the bench? Sinclair? Yesil? Wouldn't mind Ojo on the bench.
7. With 3 games in a week, do we need to think about rotating/resting anyone else? We'll definitely have to consider resting Sterling, Gerrard, and Lucas at some point.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We are playing Friday, Monday, Thursday, Monday.

We need to be using the squad here. Gerrard can't play all 4, and I don't think Toure should be either.

What do we do? We have a 3-4-3 system that we seem to have been able to get some sort of fluency with. Ok maybe we can rest Gerrard but that means either Allen has to be fit or we play an unfancied Can. With Toure, who do we replace him with?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
Haha, we don't do easy wins mate. We need to take our chances to win easy and that doesn't tend to happen right now.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What do we do? We have a 3-4-3 system that we seem to have been able to get some sort of fluency with. Ok maybe we can rest Gerrard but that means either Allen has to be fit or we play an unfancied Can. With Toure, who do we replace him with?

Put Henderson centre mid

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
3 points please.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
Put Henderson centre mid
Yep, other options are play a back 4 so we can use the full backs we have fit and fresh.

We can play a 4-2-3-1 and use 3 of the 4 footballers in behind Balotelli to keep them fresh etc.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
Think we will stick with the 343. Would assume that will be with Jones in nets. Same back three, though of Lovren is to come in for me it would have to be Skrtel. He's the common denominator in many goals we have conceded, whereas Toure and Sakho have done well with the chances they've had.

Henderson, Lucas, Can and Markovic across the four with Coutinho and Lallana dropping between the lines and Sterling spearheading the attack and stretching them in behind. Ballotelli and Moreno will hopefully get some game time.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, other options are play a back 4 so we can use the full backs we have fit and fresh.

We can play a 4-2-3-1 and use 3 of the 4 footballers in behind Balotelli to keep them fresh etc.

But we have a system now that is working. That relies on Sterling due to his pace, pressing and movement. Bring any of our strikers back in and we can lose that system.

Changing the system only really works when we are in some form. At the moment we are trying to get some form. No point changing something already.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
But we have a system now that is working. That relies on Sterling due to his pace, pressing and movement. Bring any of our strikers back in and we can lose that system.

Changing the system only really works when we are in some form. At the moment we are trying to get some form. No point changing something already.

Agree. Keep the attack, keep the same defense and wingbacks, just swap Can for Gerrard for this particular game as he needs a rest.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan

Not so sure that Balotelli can't play in front of those lads. He could have had 4 at OT and can move in behind. Even though we played well the other day, we still didn't really look like scoring when the ball went into the box nor did we manage to put Raheem away in behind.

We'll need to use the squad anyway and he is a better option than our other forwards.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Not so sure that Balotelli can't play in front of those lads. He could have had 4 at OT and can move in behind. Even though we played well the other day, we still didn't really look like scoring when the ball went into the box nor did we manage to put Raheem away in behind.

We'll need to use the squad anyway and he is a better option than our other forwards.

I didn't think Balotelli looked like scoring and Sterling did get into 1v1 positions vs Utd. Against Arsenal they sat deep and thats where his lack of movement wouldn't have suited us. Plus Sterling was pressing like Sturridge and Suarez did, which we would definitely lose with Balotelli.

Having said that, this is all too far away. Lets play Burnley and lets try to get a win. Then if we do lets do the same against Swansea. Maybe then we can worry about resting players. I very much doubt Rodgers will want to rest players until we pick up a few wins.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
I didn't think Balotelli looked like scoring and Sterling did get into 1v1 positions vs Utd. Against Arsenal they sat deep and thats where his lack of movement wouldn't have suited us. Plus Sterling was pressing like Sturridge and Suarez did, which we would definitely lose with Balotelli.

Having said that, this is all too far away. Lets play Burnley and lets try to get a win. Then if we do lets do the same against Swansea. Maybe then we can worry about resting players. I very much doubt Rodgers will want to rest players until we pick up a few wins.
Fair enough, we need to win the first game first and we've got 5 days off before it.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
Going to my first competitive game since the league cup at Spurs in 2009  ;D. Only a couple of changes needed, our defence shouldn't hinder us as much as it has in the last two league games. Markovic could really make his name here. Rest Lucas or Gerrard as Burnley are still quite dangerous, they seem to have decent set piece takers and if they're tired -> more lazy free kicks (not that I'm suggesting Lucas gives away loads  :-X)

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
If we have squad depth, this is the game where it has to materialize.  Rodgers seems to not make changes when we are on a good run of form so I expect he will will stay 3-4-3, but we have some players who badly need a rest.  I think we see either Moreno or Manquillo on one of the wings.  Also, this would be a good chance to play Can/Allen instead of Gerrard/Lucas.  Also think Balotelli comes in for Sterling up top

Jones
                Skrtel  Toure  Sakho
Manquillo      Allen    Can        Markovic
             Lallana         Coutinho
                        Balotelli

Henderson as a WB is interesting, he certainly gives us some solidity there, but it also seems to take him out of the flow of the game at times.  Would be interesting to see if Suso gets some minutes in the future.  He certainly seems to fit the formation and tactics we have been playing lately.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Three points will do, Redmen. Markovic to bag a brace.
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
Sterling hattrick

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Can we get Djimi Traore in for one match?

He's a legend at Burnley.  ;D
They love him there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
Didn't they erect a statue of him, but it tripped over it's own feet and fell over .... :D :-X

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan

1. Yes

2. Our attack has been awful since the Spurs game in any other formation so we have to persist with it. I don't think we're that suspect defensively in the formation either if you ignore the set piece goal and the offside goal we've only conceded 4 in 3 games in the 3-4-3.

3. I hope not. He shouldn't be starting anyway. Even Johnson is a better CB than him.

4. Yes, he's just played two big games so IMO it's time for a rest for Stevie.

5. He is a lot better centrally, so I'd like us to try Moreno or Manquillo in that position against Burnley and see how it plays out.

6. I think we don't have any other option??

7. I think we should rest Gerrard for this game as it is the easiest of the three and I would like to see Henderson moved to CM for Manquillo/ Moreno.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Surely we will win this one. Chances taken will equal points in bag?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!