Author Topic: In defence of Brendan Rodgers: The man who made us dream  (Read 87881 times)

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: In defence of Brendan Rodgers: The man who made us dream
« Reply #200 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:29 am »
Personally I want what's best for Liverpool football club. At the moment I don't feel the current setup is working well enough between the transfer committee and the manager utilising the players. Something has to give whether that's changing the transfer committee setup, changing the way we pay wages or hiring a manager that will work with what we have more effectively.

From the outside looking in for me scraping the transfer comittee, hiring a new scouting system with a senior CEO/Director of football to support Rodgers seems the most logical way to go. Whether the owners feel this to be the case I guess we will find out in due course.

Offline The Rootless Tree

• Tumbleweed, then
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:20 am »
i will put this as nicely as i can but anyone who can't support Rodgers can fuck off now!

my 2 cents also

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2014, 10:54:57 am »
:thumbup

Does that apply to the owners too?

Oops meant for Geoff :). On phone in work. Won't see the game either. Radio torture for me ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:57:12 am by didi shamone »

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2014, 11:03:23 am »
The spine is there?

CB's, less than great. CM's, Lucas and who? CF, Sturridge (who knows when he'll be fit?) and who?
For me, the spine of an attacking team would be the creative players and goalscorers it has. GK, CB, CM problems? They were present last year and we nearly won the title. I am looking at Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Origi and thinking it could frighten any defence in the world. And they are only going to improve over the next 3 years. You don't need 11 perfect players each game to win titles. Our GK, defenders and CMs are more than serviceable if coupled with a functional attack. This was the case last year and the same is true for new signings like Moreno, Manquillo, Lovren, Can. And then there are incredible talents coming through the youth academy as well. I see 10 outstanding talents (Ibe,Wisdom, Ojo, Kent,Canos, Wilson, Sinclair, Rossiter, Chirivela, Phillips) out of which atleast 3 will make their mark within the next 3 years. Forget about the Champions League revenue, this liverpool team can win the premier league without making a single further addition if things click together in our favor.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
For me, the spine of an attacking team would be the creative players and goalscorers it has. GK, CB, CM problems? They were present last year and we nearly won the title. I am looking at Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Origi and thinking it could frighten any defence in the world. And they are only going to improve over the next 3 years. You don't need 11 perfect players each game to win titles. Our GK, defenders and CMs are more than serviceable if coupled with a functional attack. This was the case last year and the same is true for new signings like Moreno, Manquillo, Lovren, Can. And then there are incredible talents coming through the youth academy as well. I see 10 outstanding talents (Ibe,Wisdom, Ojo, Kent,Canos, Wilson, Sinclair, Rossiter, Chirivela, Phillips) out of which atleast 3 will make their mark within the next 3 years. Forget about the Champions League revenue, this liverpool team can win the premier league without making a single further addition if things click together in our favor.

We don't have a great spine. As that poster said the spine is the keeper, centre back, central midfielder, creative player and a striker. Whilst we have a creative player and striker in Sterling and Sturridge, behind that it's pretty poor.

We won't be winning any titles unless we get strong leaders, having potential is all good and well but quite frankly, they won't be winning leagues on their own.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2014, 11:06:39 am »
“I know how it goes,” he said. “Six or seven months ago I was the manager of the year and I was going to be this and that, tactically this and tactically that, and now, because we have lost two world-class players, I am useless. But I accept that. I must have just dreamt that about Liverpool playing 3-4-3 in the last game [the Capital One Cup victory at Bournemouth]. What do people think that was, a bit of luck? A British coach playing 3-4-3? A foreign coach doing that would be a tactical genius. I imagine people think I fell into that system through a stroke of luck or something.

“Not that I might have been awake into the early hours of the morning thinking of a solution to our problem. We played with a box midfield and a back three, with [Lazar] Markovic wide and [Raheem] Sterling as a free No9, but it took some thought. I didn’t just throw them out there.”

“If you look at the speed in our game the other night, the tempo and intensity of our pressing and work, it was much closer to what we had last season.” he said. “People have been looking at us and seeing we haven’t been as dynamic, but there are simple reasons for that. We have lost two big players and it has taken a bit of time to try and recover our way of working. You get players sometimes who are just a massive loss to a group. Look at the way Dortmund have struggled this season after losing Robert Lewandowski. We haven’t lost one such player, we have lost two.”

He does seem pretty pissed off. Whether that's with the press or our players, who knows. I'm hoping we get to see some sort of reaction to it.

I'm trying to be positive here. We've only lost 1 game out of the last 7 in all competitions, so it's not as horrible as it may seem?

bad example dortmund
they have a stack load of players all back from injuries trying to get back to full fitness.

with their system it no wonder why they have hot a slump.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:02 am »
Personally I want what's best for Liverpool football club. At the moment I don't feel the current setup is working well enough between the transfer committee and the manager utilising the players. Something has to give whether that's changing the transfer committee setup, changing the way we pay wages or hiring a manager that will work with what we have more effectively.

From the outside looking in for me scraping the transfer comittee, hiring a new scouting system with a senior CEO/Director of football to support Rodgers seems the most logical way to go. Whether the owners feel this to be the case I guess we will find out in due course.

While our signings have been mixed and have not made, in balance, a significant contribution. I feel that we are placing too much emphasis on this matter. Apart from the loss of Suarez, and Sturridge to injury, we have the same players. We have gone from a few points from winning the title, to a few points from relegation.

The squad we have currently is not worthy of its 11th place position. However, the football we have played is certainly worthy of 11th place. I can't see how Rodgers can be absolved of any blame for this season. If we had been in say fifth or sixth place, we could quite legitimately blame our transfer strategy but our squad in terms of cost and talent should not be placed where it is.

Now, let me state upfront, I don't think we should sack Rodgers. I think he should be given two more transfer windows to get it right. However, if our league position does not improve by January, I would not be surprised or indignant if FSG were to let him go. Rodgers sold FSG a philosophy of style and method. They would have noticed that this has not happened. FSG are no fools if they are not getting results, they'll want to see progress.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2014, 11:11:32 am »
Dortmund also won a couple of leagues and made a CL final. We are not comparable to them.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
Dortmund also won a couple of leagues and made a CL final.
isnt that Rodgers point about how things turn against you very quickly ?

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2014, 11:18:30 am »
bad example dortmund
they have a stack load of players all back from injuries trying to get back to full fitness.

with their system it no wonder why they have hot a slump.

Is it not up to the manger to change the system to suit the players that he has available?  That's exactly what Brendan has done with us and to be fair, the UTD game and Bournemouth game have shown us a glimpse of the type of football we played last season.

Anyone suggesting 'it was only Bournemouth' is a moron and clueless. Bournemouth are top of the Championship, full of confidence smashing teams all over the park. They beat Cardiff 5-1 last week and this week (despite the result against us) went away to Blackpool and put 6 past them! Or result midweek was a brilliant result considering the pressure the team and manger was under. Not only the result though, it was the performance that as pleasing. 52 passes away from home that leads to a goal. Fuck me, if people cant see the signs then they are just ignorant or an idiot.

I'm fully behind Brendan and I think that he'll turn things around. We have a 'easier' run of fixtures in the next 6 games after today. A win against Arsenal could be the catalyst that kick starts our season.

I'd like to think when we all sing 'YNWA' today at Anfield we take a moment to think of our manager and ask ourselves whether or not we mean what we say or whether we're all just a bunch of hypocrites.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2014, 11:18:45 am »
i will put this as nicely as i can but anyone who can't support Rodgers can fuck off now!

I admire your passion. Can you tell me, how do you define support?  What does that mean to you?  Does it mean wanting him to do well? Praising him in the stands? Supporting and not criticising his decisions?

Not meant to be funny. I think most people, myself included, do support Rodgers and all Liverpool players. But, I don't know if your view of support is the same as mine.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2014, 11:18:49 am »
isnt that Rodgers point about how things turn against you very quickly ?

Dortmund have lost players consistently though and still competed. Also they haven't exactly spent in one season as extravagantly as we did.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:12 am »
I admire your passion. Can you tell me, how do you define support?  What does that mean to you?  Does it mean wanting him to do well? Praising him in the stands? Supporting and not criticising his decisions?

Not meant to be funny. I think most people, myself included, do support Rodgers and all Liverpool players. But, I don't know if your view of support is the same as mine.

i made the point the other week.

when is it acceptable to not back him?

who decides when thats the time?

who decides if we should all stick together?

quite simply no one.

freedom of speech.....hope to god mutton geoff doesnt work for the secret service.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2014, 11:23:47 am »
i made the point the other week.

when is it acceptable to not back him?

Surely as supporters of the club we should back him until he is no longer the manager?

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2014, 11:26:32 am »
Basically, I think it's silly seeing people nitpick at a press conference like that. Yes, we're not Dortmund, but he's not comparing us in terms of ability, he's pointing out that both sides are struggling having lost key players. He's not wrong, is he?

I also think he has an excellent point. The media builds people up to break them down, and unfortunately, there are many who either swallow the bait or have always had an agenda against the man and will take advantage of it to undermine the man who got us closer to the title than we've been in my entire lifetime.

He's earned our trust, he's earned our support.

WBA at home 4-1, Fulham 4-0, Norwich 5-1, West Ham 4-1
Spurs away 5-0
Everton 4-0 at home
Arsenal 5-1 at home
United 3-0 away

We were glorious less than a year ago - surely he's earned our support for longer than the half a season we've been poor?
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2014, 11:26:44 am »
Surely as supporters of the club we should back him until he is no longer the manager?
So... those calling for Hodgson's head were wrong?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2014, 11:27:00 am »

Exactly.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
Before people jump on me, I'd like to point out, I support Rodgers. Each to make up their own mind though.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

Partly so yes.

Although his issues went beyond the football, his general comments towards the club and fans were something most couldn't support. Rodgers hasn't done that.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:16 am »

That was a different situation altogether. I don't see Brendan Rodgers attacking or disrespecting our fan base for starters.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:43 am »
Dortmund have lost players consistently though and still competed. Also they haven't exactly spent in one season as extravagantly as we did.

They never sold a player for what we sold Suarez for. Lewandowski left for free. The comparable transfer is Gotze, and they spent what they recouped on him, just like we spent what we recouped on Suarez.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:20 am »

but what if you feel he is doing more harm than good?

if you genuinely feel that and still back him you are contradicting your feelings for the club?

my point is really no one fan or group of fans shoudl dictate on others when that time is.

it naturally feeds through.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2014, 11:31:24 am »

Was that your view when Hodgson was in charge? Does the same logic work with owners? If not why not? Which club employee receives unconditional support and which doesn't? Should Ayre be backed until he is sacked?

Should we support players who go out of their way to leave the club or bring the club into disrepute?

Again, interested to hear people's views.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

I've never understood this stance.

As long as you're not at the ground waving a banner or in here banging on left, right and centre, I see no reason why you cant believe Brendan is not the right man.

This constant of support because he is the manager is undermined by the treatment of the likes of Hodgson, Rafa for many, Souness being a c*nt, and didn't RAWK as a community actively withdraw support from Houllier?

One way or another, it always come, just differing time frames.

There are a few, and it is a miniscule sample that will back the manager even when they think he isn't equipped to win a title but it is invariably not correlated to the vast numbers who spout, "just support".
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2014, 11:33:57 am »
but what if you feel he is doing more harm than good?

if you genuinely feel that and still back him you are contradicting your feelings for the club?

my point is really no one fan or group of fans shoudl dictate on others when that time is.

it naturally feeds through.

You can have an opinion whilst still backing him as a supporter.

The club makes the decision when it's time for any manager and/or player to go, the fans don't. Us not supporting them, be it a player or manager, does nothing but make the situation worse.

Again that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, and from what I can see that's fine on here as long as you out your point across well, but to specifically not back him goes against what the number one thing of being a supporter is IMO.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2014, 11:34:46 am »
That was a different situation altogether. I don't see Brendan Rodgers attacking or disrespecting our fan base for starters.

So there is criteria where it is ok to stop supporting the manager? Is this the only scenario where it can be done or are there others? If so, who decides what is or is not permissible for Liverpool managers?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2014, 11:36:39 am »
Was that your view when Hodgson was in charge? Does the same logic work with owners? If not why not? Which club employee receives unconditional support and which doesn't? Should Ayre be backed until he is sacked?

Should we support players who go out of their way to leave the club or bring the club into disrepute?

Again, interested to hear people's views.

I dealt with Hodgson further up. He deserved backing whilst he was doing his footballing job, he didn't when he attacked the club and it's fans. That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on if he is doing his job well or not, but then that's totally different to backing him which is what the post I replied to said.

As for the directors and others at the club, I'm neither a supporter or fan of theirs, they are there to make the business that is LFC run smoothly. The footballing side are who gets the fans backing.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2014, 11:40:32 am »

The club makes the decision when it's time for any manager and/or player to go, the fans don't. Us not supporting them, be it a player or manager, does nothing but make the situation worse.

Again that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, and from what I can see that's fine on here as long as you out your point across well, but to specifically not back him goes against what the number one thing of being a supporter is IMO.

dont buy that one bit.

you can be neutral to a player or manager but still love the club....see hodgeson...pfk etc.

i think some fans will hang on to a bad manager till the end like some wont.

you or no one else dictates who does what or when they do it.....i wont stop you so why should you stop anyone with their oppinion?

if you think you should what gives you that right?

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
I dealt with Hodgson further up. He deserved backing whilst he was doing his footballing job, he didn't when he attacked the club and it's fans. That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on if he is doing his job well or not, but then that's totally different to backing him which is what the post I replied to said.

As for the directors and others at the club, I'm neither a supporter or fan of theirs, they are there to make the business that is LFC run smoothly. The footballing side are who gets the fans backing.

Thanks for the response. When you say "backing", I am guessing that you mean support on the terraces or broader community. And when you say people can have an opinion, does that include being critical on Internet forums? Not saying he should be sacked or being disrespectful but having an opinion on aspects of his management performance?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2014, 11:46:10 am »
dont buy that one bit.

you can be neutral to a player or manager but still love the club....see hodgeson...pfk etc.

i think some fans will hang on to a bad manager till the end like some wont.

you or no one else dictates who does what or when they do it.....i wont stop you so why should you stop anyone with their oppinion?

if you think you should what gives you that right?

I'm not stopping you. RAWK might be, but this place isn't a democracy so the powers that be can have any rules in place they want, and they do it to stop this place turning I to a fucking hell fest, which is what it would be if the Rodgers Out brigade started in full force.

I'm just giving my own opinion that the supporters should support the footballing side of the club (players and manager) until the powers that be at the club make the change.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:17 am »
Thanks for the response. When you say "backing", I am guessing that you mean support on the terraces or broader community. And when you say people can have an opinion, does that include being critical on Internet forums? Not saying he should be sacked or being disrespectful but having an opinion on aspects of his management performance?

People can be critical, that doesn't mean you are backing him. I've been critical about certain things he has done, and have been about players too, but they all get my backing and support.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2014, 11:51:38 am »
People can be critical, that doesn't mean you are backing him. I've been critical about certain things he has done, and have been about players too, but they all get my backing and support.

Sounds reasonable. I think most posters, myself included, feel that way. Some others, I suspect, have an alternative view to being a supporter.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
I very much doubt he's getting any money in January other than what he recoups through sales. We went through it last year. "Oh, we're so close to the top of the league. If we could get in a couple more people that'll really push us towards the title." And we got no one. If we didn't get money last season when we hadn't spent so much money in the summer, I don't think we'll be getting any this season
I don't. We've made a boatload of money last season alone(I won't even talk about this season) and of that while he did spend around 110m, he only spent 38m net. To give you an idea of the ridiculous amount of money that was made last year, I will only bring up two- this excludes sponshorship deals and matchday revenue, which is round-about 80m):

- League position - ~85m
- Luis - ~65m

Then are shirt sales..
There is still a considerable amount of money to be spent.

For me, our striker business looked like a "wait and see.." approach. I'm sure we have had other striker targets however we could not get these for one or the other reason. The fact that Mario Balotelli was draughted in at the last minute and for a pittance says we held out for a target or were in negotiation, but it either dragged on or there were complications.

I'm sure our striker will become available in Jan or next Summer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:04:02 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

One of the reasons people get pissed off at fans turning on the manager is the mood of said fans does tend to get taken into account when owners make decisions on these matters.

If said fans feel like the manager is doing a poor job with the resources he's had its fair to say they will express that because they feel making it clear that the status quo is not good enough is important.

Most would agree that Rodgers has done a poor job this season and over the summer.  He's basically thrown away a treasure chest and written off a season with Inept performances, poor training, naive tactics and baffling team selections.

We are not a Chelsea or a city that can just throw money away.  When we buy a 20m player (or two or three) and they aren't good enough it sets us back a lot...if we are to climb the mountain it is with baby steps, making the right decisions over and over and building to a crescendo.  If a manager cannot make correct decisions in the market then he is not right for us.

My doubts over Rodgers are not exclusive to this season really.  I look over his entire tenear here and I am not sure he is capable of building a team to compete.  Last season cannot be discounted, but nor is it the entire story.

For my money he deserves at least January, and probably until the end of the season if it at least stays respectable.. But I can't judge people who have decided one way or the other....none of us really care whether Brendan Rodgers is successful, we all just want Liverpool to be.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2014, 12:04:35 pm »
Why should you back any manager? Should it be blind like the Iraqi information minister insisting everything will be OK as the tanks roll into Baghdad? Or should it be reasoned? Is it just a given?

Sometimes you will think a manager has run his race and I've thought that with Houllier, Benitez and to some extent Kenny who was hamstrung by being an unfortunate almost extended caretaker (though given financial backing). Hodgson was just untenable full stop. Hodgson's an old case but he never had backing if people are honest with themselves. For me the level of bile directed at him was unprecedented and outrageous at the time even accounting for his own statements, it never sat well. But he was hardly a success on the pitch and he did indeed say some strange as fuck things. He didn't try to build bridges.   

You are allowed to think and say that a manager has run his race, no doubt at all.

For me, though, the rush for success and instant gratification tends to mean we attack managers so early and also forget they are people. I think sometimes we need to take a step a back from it and realise football is a part of life and life is not football. Assess things calmly. And if you still think Rodgers should go, you're entitled to have that view. I am right behind him, I think he's still got a race to run - a long one. What's best for the club is best for everyone and we'll all debate what that is forever more but hopefully intelligently and sincerely rather than the stereotypical frothing at the mouth Talksport caller. I think we ought to back managers for the simple reason they are part of our club. And I think if you think they shouldn't be backed you need good reasons and not over the top reactions.

No idea whether I've succeeded at this in the past but that's my view today.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2014, 12:09:50 pm »

I 'support' Rodgers because he's our manager. That doesn't mean I don't have a view on how he performs. Drop into the Harry pre and post match and have a listen to supporters. We are all there because we support the club, but informed critical comments about players, staff and everything else is everywhere and always has been! Walk in and tell us all to 'f*ck off' why don't you? He is supported, but he's not God you know.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
My problem is when managers become arrogant and stubborn at the expense of the fans. They all do it at some point and Rodgers this season has been no different. Theres no room for it.

Houllier did it with Litmanen, Anelka and Fowler at the expense of his job.
Rafa did it with constant rotation, rotating world class talent for second rate guff.
Rodgers is doing it by freezing out players and keeping in underperforming ones.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:14:39 pm by walshys_mullet »
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2014, 02:25:40 pm »
I don't know where to put this, but I have read Rodgers' interview where he staunchly defends Wenger against his critics. And then goes on to say that he finds himself in the same position because he won best manager award half a year ago and now he is useless. You can see that he is feeling a lot of pressure, and he has shamed those who loudly criticize Wenger, basically shaming those who blame him, too.

Oh, here it is
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/20/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-arsene-wenger-arsenal

My problem with his rant is he mixed everything in there due to his acute panic. Being British or foreigner, having 2 world class players last season and losing them, comparing LFC to Dortmund etc. Particularly being British part was just plain wrong.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:28:27 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2014, 03:48:00 pm »
All Brendan has to do is get this team playing consistently good football, and the criticisms will largely go away. It's not too much to expect.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »
I don't know where to put this, but I have read Rodgers' interview where he staunchly defends Wenger against his critics. And then goes on to say that he finds himself in the same position because he won best manager award half a year ago and now he is useless. You can see that he is feeling a lot of pressure, and he has shamed those who loudly criticize Wenger, basically shaming those who blame him, too.

Oh, here it is
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/20/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-arsene-wenger-arsenal

My problem with his rant is he mixed everything in there due to his acute panic. Being British or foreigner, having 2 world class players last season and losing them, comparing LFC to Dortmund etc. Particularly being British part was just plain wrong.
Wow, I am a brendan fan but those comments are really worrying, if I am being honest it looks like his ego demands constant praise, and when he doesn't get it he's not pleased. i hope we win today, if it means Brendan won't be saying these things.