Author Topic: In defence of Brendan Rodgers: The man who made us dream  (Read 88055 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: In defence of Brendan Rodgers: The man who made us dream
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »
It's easy to understand. I don't have time to explain every point through all ends, but I can help now. There's two basic approaches: 1. to produce with the player quality and 2. if you don't have the players then you use superior tactics to beat superior quality teams. Rafa Benitez has proven the latter in the UCL in 2005 and took us to the final in 2007. Unless you have a magician as manager, as Rafa was, then you got to understand your limits. With Rafa it's not just the tactics either, I'm quite sure that with 100mil to spend, he may not have brought us Ronaldo/Messi/Zlatan, but he would've attracted higher calibre players to make us compete in Europe. My post was alluding to that. Watch the Olympiakos game and you'd see we had the likes of Sinama, Nunez and Neil Mellor to rely on that night. We didn't need Cristiano Ronaldo. We all know the legendary accomplishments with Biscan and Traore. We didn't need Maldini or Nedved. Can Rodgers take us far in Europe when he doesn't have 100mil to spend every season?

Rafa's gone years ago ffs.  Get over it.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »
He took us closer to the no.19 than Rafa ever did so I`m sure he can emulate his success in Europe too.
I hope you're right to be so optimistic. The figures don't inspire that much confidence. His European record is:

Played 18 Won 8 Drawn 4 Lost 6 For 25 Against 22.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »
I hope you're right to be so optimistic. The figures don't inspire that much confidence. His European record is:

Played 18 Won 8 Drawn 4 Lost 6 For 25 Against 22.

It`s circumstantial as the last season`s team with their neck breaking quick transitions which are built for CL would have made some major noise.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2014, 02:42:14 pm »

i dont know about you but i hate the way people shit on the memory of Rafa by using him as a stick to beat Rodgers with, they are trying to play one good LFC manager against another its fucking smalltime shite.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »

i dont know about you but i hate the way people shit on the memory of Rafa by using him as a stick to beat Rodgers with, they are trying to play one good LFC manager against another its fucking smalltime shite.

It's quite pathetic isn't it? Won't call them supporters they're fans.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2014, 02:45:24 pm »
Rafa had Gerrard in his prime, he didn`t have to sell his best striker in Torres, etc. Brendan inherited Gerrard on his last legs, had to sell his best striker in Suarez, and is unlucky the world-class striker he brought turns out to be a new Agger. So let`s give the guy some time to rebuild as the circumstances didn`t unravel form him perfectly.

I agree this season couldn't of panned out worse in terms of personnel (some the blame is attached others isn't)  But we have to be realistic and honest in the sense that despite all that, we've underachieved domestically and in Europe. So far Brendan has struggled to balance European competition and the league, in his first and third season.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »
I agree this season couldn't of panned out worse in terms of personnel (some the blame is attached others isn't)  But we have to be realistic and honest in the sense that despite all that, we've underachieved domestically and in Europe. So far Brendan has struggled to balance European competition and the league, in his first and third season.
Agree we underachieved this season I thought that was clear - but if we want to talk perspective , his first season in EL he had only a few months to work with the squad he inherited, he had to play the likes of Enrique, Downing and 17-year old Sterling upfront with Suarez, he couldn`t use Sturridge and Coutinho against Zenit so I think it`s quite unfair to criticize him for his first stint in Europe.

If we can by some miracle get Sturridge on the pitch it`ll be interesting to see how we`ll fare in EL knockout rounds this time.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »
It`s circumstantial as the last season`s team with their neck breaking quick transitions which are built for CL would have made some major noise.

'Circumstantial'? It's results that count and the 'circumstantial' team from last season should have been built upon to compete not be humiliated.  No offence as you seem to be fan of Rodgers, but his performance in Europe has been awful, refelecting the lack of experience he has. I doubt if Beşiktaş are quaking in their boots, but you never know he might just improve.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2014, 03:00:06 pm »
'Circumstantial'? It's results that count and the 'circumstantial' team from last season should have been built upon to compete not be humiliated.  No offence as you seem to be fan of Rodgers, but his performance in Europe has been awful, refelecting the lack of experience he has. I doubt if Beşiktaş are quaking in their boots, but you never know he might just improve.
My point is there are mitigating circumstances and he should be cut some slack. There`s still all to play for.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2014, 03:02:21 pm »
Personally would put all my eggs in the Europa league basket now.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »

We have to go for it big time, without giving up on 4th place if we can beat Arsenal tomorrow, Brendan will certainly have to improve his use of our squad though.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2014, 03:15:33 pm »
We have to go for it big time, without giving up on 4th place if we can beat Arsenal tomorrow, Brendan will certainly have to improve his use of our squad though.

We're good enough to win the Europa league if we can get Sturridge fit. I'd keep the players fresh for that competition, certainly I'd prioritise Gerrard and Sturridge for that competition now.

What are the chances of top four currently? Well were still at a disadvantage regardless of tomorrow. In Europe we are starting from scratch so to speak, the fact you qualify for the CL by winning it is still being overlooked somewhat. This is massive for us if we want to challenge again next season domestically.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:17:38 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »
How do you do that when you have 10 league games, 2 League Cup semi finals and hopefully 2 FA Cup matches before the next round starts.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2014, 03:23:25 pm »
How do you do that when you have 10 league games, 2 League Cup semi finals and hopefully 2 FA Cup matches before the next round starts.

Indeed, things can turn around very quickly in the league, it only takes a couple of results to go our way.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2014, 03:52:28 pm »
Should be given all of this season and all of next season. Will have had 4 full seasons then and let's see where we are then. Until we sign another 2 strikers and sort the defence out there's no manager in the world that could do anything with this current squad.
Get him some of his prime targets instead of 3rd fallback options thrown upon him, and lets see where we are at. I agree, barring something truly awful, it would be madness to ditch Rodgers for failures elsewhere at the club, the lack of a CEO, shyte scouting, poor organisation, and bad luck, who could have foreseen three consecutive injuries to Danny? 
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
Indeed, things can turn around very quickly in the league, it only takes a couple of results to go our way.

A couple of lucky wins and a couple of good performances and before you know it you've got 12/12 or 15/15 and things look rosy again. Us going on a winning run like that seems a million miles away but it really doesn't take much, especially the way the league is this season.

If we don't get 4th this season of all seasons it will be an absolute disaster.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »
Get him some of his prime targets instead of 3rd fallback options thrown upon him, and lets see where we are at. I agree, barring something truly awful, it would be madness to ditch Rodgers for failures elsewhere at the club, the lack of a CEO, shyte scouting, poor organisation, and bad luck, who could have foreseen three consecutive injuries to Danny? 
Any talk of getting rid of Rodgers is ridiculous. He knows what he wants in terms of forwards and he is being given donkeys on the cheap.

Offline redtrev

• Running dog of CAPITALISM
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »
Guys Rodgers got us playing some excellent football last year; there is no doubt.. how ever I always felt our defending would catch us. It did then and is still is now. For all your positives such as goals scored there s your negative of goals conceded. . For me Rodgers biggest weakness is defence and his buying of players.. everything suggests lovren  was his buy, and he wanted the bertrand  instead of moreno.. overall he deserves this season certainly but for what it's worth in my view there is absolutely no comparison with rogers and benetiz . benetiz is leagues ahead tactically and in spoting talent. Give benetiz proper backing and he ll give it back ten times over..

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2014, 04:27:38 pm »

I'd start by rotating Gerrard more, keeping him fresh later in the season. I'd give Sterling less game time, before running him into the ground later on the season. If Sturridge comes back before the Europa league I'd  are sure he was prime for that competition and not tied him back for the league.

I'd basically do as much as possible now to prepare for that competition later down the line. Yes it's throwing the towel in on the league but I don't know expect us to suddenly come good given we've had one good performance against premier league opposition so far this season.

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2014, 04:35:05 pm »
good but they will wail that football has changed now, personally the game has evolved and the idea of being a supporter has however been corrupted by the they win or else i will cwy and cwy and cwy attitudes, more just william that Charlie Buchan mentality.

As for the thread sentiment is alright but why does Rodgers need defending in Rawk from supposed Liverpool Fans?

Since win was being a football supporter ever about anything else except wanting so badly for your  team to do well?
What planet have you been living on?

Offline number 168

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »
Guys Rodgers got us playing some excellent football last year; there is no doubt.. how ever I always felt our defending would catch us. It did then and is still is now. For all your positives such as goals scored there s your negative of goals conceded. . For me Rodgers biggest weakness is defence and his buying of players.. everything suggests lovren  was his buy, and he wanted the bertrand  instead of moreno.. overall he deserves this season certainly but for what it's worth in my view there is absolutely no comparison with rogers and benetiz . benetiz is leagues ahead tactically and in spoting talent. Give benetiz proper backing and he ll give it back ten times over..

Agree with redtrev.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2014, 04:38:48 pm »

Look forward not back. It's one of the biggest things some on here have to get over.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »
Look forward not back. It's one of the biggest things some on here have to get over.

To be fair, Benetiz hasn't managed us before.

Come to think of it I'm not sure who he manages now.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »
We're good enough to win the Europa league if we can get Sturridge fit. I'd keep the players fresh for that competition, certainly I'd prioritise Gerrard and Sturridge for that competition now.

What are the chances of top four currently? Well were still at a disadvantage regardless of tomorrow. In Europe we are starting from scratch so to speak, the fact you qualify for the CL by winning it is still being overlooked somewhat. This is massive for us if we want to challenge again next season domestically.
Not great at present but we're not halfway through the season yet. Beat Arsenal and we're 2 points behind them and 3 behind Spurs. Lose and we have a mountain to climb; win and we have somehow kept in touch despite being very poor this season.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »
I'm hoping his apparent grumpy mood was down to him being annoyed with the media and nothing internal like him being told he's getting no money to spend in the January transfer window.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »
I'm hoping his apparent grumpy mood was down to him being annoyed with the media and nothing internal like him being told he's getting no money to spend in the January transfer window.
Could be down to the fact the season has gone poorly and he was having a shit day after reflecting on it; who knows? You're reading too much into it mate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
Could be down to the fact the season has gone poorly and he was having a shit day after reflecting on it; who knows? You're reading too much into it mate.

Perhaps.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2014, 05:39:14 pm »

Phil Thompson on Brendan Rodgers' pre-match press conference:

"I find it hard to understand why he would be like that."

Seems Rodgers has finally learnt it the hardway that you can't be pally with the press.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »
Why does Brendan need defending, he is a big boy and the only way he will stop the criticism is by getting results.(and he knows and accepts that) he's made mistakes this season all of which he will learn from. He's never had £100+ million to spend
 it is an art form that's for sure, I also think this criticism will help him because he will learn to get his own way in transfers,  because he knows who's going to get the stick and just how painful it can be.
Have a good feeling for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:48:29 pm by lgvkarlos »

Offline redtrev

• Running dog of CAPITALISM
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »
sami  I agree in principle but some things back is the way forward. Anyway I hope that brendan turns our season around. But I'm not that confident in the long run. We are were we are cause someone over looked sturridge s injury record. We bought lambert as an option of the bench when suarez  was still here but then bought balotelli (who I believe is going to be a good option for us with a pacey strike partner). It was obvious months back that the only option we had to stretch defenses was sterling yet it took him till now to put him up top. That's what really worrying. Add this to not being able to buy what we require and it doesn't give me great confidence. ..

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »
I don't think he needs defending...he is not under attack. Actually, I find it amusing that the Word Defence is in the title...f you really want to make a case for Brendan. :)

I would say that there is just growing disapointment in the season and in Rodgers because of our lacl of defence. At the start of the season, it was only reasonable to think that to improve as a team, we would need to replace some of Suarez's irreplaceable offence with an improved defence. This would have been true even if we kept Suarez and wanted to improve. Defence was a clear weakness and there was a deep well to draw from to get improved match results. That would have taken us to the next level or at least have kept us in the top 4.

Our failure to improve defensively is a major disapointment. Sure, the players need to contribute to that improvement. But defence is really down to the team shape, formation and player selection. That puts the focus on Rodgers.

Unfortunately we lost Sturridge too. Nobody should be too quick to judge Brendan when he is missing the point of his spear. Heck, to continue with the spear analogy, last season we had a trident in offence. The frustrating thing is that Brendan has been inflexible and continued to attack as if he had a sharp spear...while holding a staff. Instead of improving defence and being resourceful with the use of the squad to pragmatically survive while we had no Sturridge, he persisted with poorly performing players in formations that didn't suit the players we had at our disposal, offensively and defensively. That lack of pragmatism has disillusioned some supporters who know the players we have and how they have been used successfully.

So it is reasonable for folks to be a bit disillusioned with BR as we watch a team that still wastes opportunities because of our defending, that has players who can improve us on the bench or in the doghouse, and a manger that continues tactical choices that are repeatedly unsuccessful for reasons that seem clear to many. I wouldn't mistake that for wanting to get rid of him. It's actually that we expect so much better from a manger that has so much potential ability and that has been able to get the recipe so right. That is a compliment really.

If we can't discuss our tactics, our players and our results...all the things the manager controls...what is the purpose of this forum? It doesn't mean we want to get rid of Brendan. That would be suicide as he has so much potential and there would be nobody that could come in and magically get us to 4th. Brendan does have to show more of that potential we have seen such great evidence of last season. He has that ability to get us winning consistently and once again becoming a force.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »

have we money to spend? or are we just going to flout ffp ?
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline waterfordred1

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »
Any talk of getting rid of Rodgers is ridiculous. He knows what he wants in terms of forwards and he is being given donkeys on the cheap.
Does he?

He bought Borini and Aspas, refused Sturridge at first and wanted Dempsey instead. Bought Lambert. Hardly inspiring.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »
Does he?

He bought Borini and Aspas, refused Sturridge at first and wanted Dempsey instead. Bought Lambert. Hardly inspiring.

To be fair, Aspas was a committee buy all the way; and Borini, Dempsey, and rejecting Sturridge were very early decisions. Lambert...well, it made sense in the beginning, before we decided to throw money at Balotelli... :-\
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »

The press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or9YiWLxE44

Sounds almost like rafa with  his short answers  ;D

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2014, 06:24:52 pm »
Luckily he won`t be needing to dip into the market too much in the future as we`ve got some proper talent at the academy already knocking on first team door.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:02 pm »
 The only Liverpool manager I've actively called to be sacked was Roy Hodgson. Unless things get a lot, lot worse Rodgers won't be joining him in that club but there are serious question marks over some of his decisions. Signing Lambert and Balotelli as our other two forwards when we know Sturridge is prone to injuries was madness when we wanted to keep last season's style of play. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if Borini, our only other forward who actually moves was available... Oh, he is available, Rodgers just leaves him out of the squad every week for no apparent reason. His freezing out of Can and Sakho also seems quite bizarre given he signed them himself. That's not to mention 22 year old Moreno, who seems to constantly need a 'rest'. I just don't get it. Also, Adam Lallana has probably been our best player this season in terms of performances but he's also been left out way more than I expected, especially given we spent a huge sum on him. And that's without even touching on our seeming refusal to fix the fucking defence.

There's time to turn it around for sure. This season has just been perplexing in so, so many ways.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »

To be fair we've been saying this for a while. Each time, 4th place gets further away as our competitors start to pull away. Here's hoping we kick start vs Arsenal - but then we need to go on cold, hard run of wins. Turning it around is of little use if we leave it too late. We're not far from that point now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:57:00 pm by Easy »

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2014, 07:45:06 pm »
Maybe we are all looking at this the wrong way. We saw last year that the spine for a title winning team is already present and for the most part, it is rather young. If we can hold on to Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho for the next 3 years, while supplementing it with another couple of talents like Markovic and Origi, we could be challenging for a title at some point irrespective of where we finish this year. Forget about the CL money, we don't need to buy players to compete.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2014, 07:46:06 pm »

Agreed. In his first season after we brought Sturridge and Coutinho then got knocked out of Europe we clicked and hit top 4 form for the rest of season. Sadly that top 4 form was only good enough for 7th given the first half of the season was so poor. So whilst things can turn around quickly it doesn't necessarily mean we're going to rescue this season. Although a positive second half might buy Brendan another season to sort things out.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp