Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 394710 times)

Offline jfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Attack
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »
Our biggest problem in attack without Sturridge is lack of movement. Borini's best quality is his movement. Baffled as to why Borini has been excluded from the team thus far.

You and me both, i've thought the exact same thing, even when Borini didn't have a great game against West Ham i thought Brendan should've stuck with him, he's got the traits required to be playing I mean he was a Brendan singing after all.

He's the striker with the best movement apart from Sturridge plus he can press.

Offline dr.dracco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 10:52:45 pm »
In current conditions, I would have Borini in the pecking order in front of Markovic.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »
Provides infinitely more than Lambert.

One's a local lad though, the other isn't.

I think you may be trying to score points in a game that no one else is really trying to play here
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 11:08:55 pm »
Yep, he's nowhere near the required standard long term, would happily see him leave in January and use the money to hopefully get someone better.

It's never a good sign for a player when the best arguments for him are "worked hard" "gee'd up the crowd" etc. But at least he contributed to a goal tonight and it's needs must till Jan or Sturridge is back. Before I get caned for hating him, I dont, he's an ok player and seems like a top lad but the standard was set last season and we need to get somewhere close to that again.

Thats not what i meant at all though.

I meant i don't feel its fair to act as if he suddenly deserves a chance based on tonights game alone, he shows massive amounts of passion and workrate whenever he's given the chance to wear a liverpool shirt. The lad works relentlessly on the pitch to try and win and has done since he first joined us.

I know some don't rate him but he's a lot better than he gets credit for and i don't just mean his pressing and movement alone. He's someone who we should have been using alongside balotelli from the start of games since Sturridge got injured.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
The attack looks blunt in this 4231 and it's starting to become a bit strange the way we are persisting with it..

Neither Borini or Lambert are good enough for us, long term anyway.. In the short term though, Borini has to be the option we utilise.. Lambert's lack of pace is just too telling.. At least Borini can run, there's movement there which we need.. He did well tonight.

Lambert can be used on occasion, the way we used him on Saturday was fair.. 30 minutes left, more direct style alongside another forward.. As the lone forward, it's painful to watch..

Balotelli got the goal he needed which is great and hopefully he kicks on from there. Lovely ball in from Borini for it.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 11:27:20 pm »
Because pretty much the only good game we've played this season was with two up top (against Spurs). Balotelli has looked largely ineffective so far, and his best performance was when he was playing alongside another forward.

If Borini continues to perform like he did today, then you can't really say he "isn't actually doing anything threatening", he was one of our main threats today. He at least deserves the chance, especially with how poor we've been performing overall.

Your views on him are tainted by the fact you've already made your mind up on him.

That's my point really - he wasn't really a threat today (in one of his best games for us). I get that he had a couple of decent shots (though they were from outside the box) but he's really easy for defenders to play against if you watch him. I've made my mind up based on his numbers and play over 2/3 years - not sure why a decent performance tonight would change that. And he was no more than decent.
(by the way given that we were prepared to accept a fee for him on the last day of the window without a replacement I'm not alone in my view!)

I certainly wouldn't ever start him over Balotelli whose actually been unlucky with his goal return (based on his ExpG so far) - not that Balotelli has been good enough but he's in a different world as a striker to Fabio
And if you want to go the 2 striker route who are you dropping to accommodate playing him? He isn't more of a threat than Coutinho, Lallana or Sterling.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:26 pm »
Thats not what i meant at all though.

I meant i don't feel its fair to act as if he suddenly deserves a chance based on tonights game alone, he shows massive amounts of passion and workrate whenever he's given the chance to wear a liverpool shirt. The lad works relentlessly on the pitch to try and win and has done since he first joined us.

I know some don't rate him but he's a lot better than he gets credit for and i don't just mean his pressing and movement alone. He's someone who we should have been using alongside balotelli from the start of games since Sturridge got injured.

You apparently rate him yet the best compliments you can give him are "massive passion and workrate" and "works relentlessly". Does that not tell a story? I suspect "movement" will come in the next post despite him hardly scoring for us or Sunderland from open play. Tonight was one of the few times he's showed actual quality on the ball so hopefully he's improving, we need much better though.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:44 pm »
It is a sign - think not of the things of the foot and the body, but of the face and the head
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 11:33:20 pm »
Borini Balotelli is clearly the best striking set up we have available until Sturridge returns.

without doubt.

borini reminds of Kuyt,a lot.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 12:15:06 am »
Seen a couple reports in the media that Borini was "poor again today" and needs to "live up to his price tag". Incredible stuff really that people are paid to write this stuff, and they don't have to watch the match in question. Thought his overall effort and movement was superb today. Offered a lot going forward and his motor never switched off. Hope he starts at the weekend.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:01 am »
Seen a couple reports in the media that Borini was "poor again today" and needs to "live up to his price tag". Incredible stuff really that people are paid to write this stuff, and they don't have to watch the match in question. Thought his overall effort and movement was superb today. Offered a lot going forward and his motor never switched off. Hope he starts at the weekend.
Hopefully the Sunderlands of the world were watching and are still willing to offer a good few quids for him in January.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:46 am »
Rodgers can hold a grudge like nobody's business he wanted that 14 million baaaaad.

Its pretty clear the running could be useful here and there at the moment, maybe.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 12:30:08 am »
without doubt.

borini reminds of Kuyt,a lot.

The difference is Kuyt was a 1:3 goal player without penalties. Borini to me looks a 1:5 player.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:54 am »
I think its pretty obvious what we all want to see at the weekend...

Balo Borini
      Sterling
Coutinho Hendo

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 12:37:54 am »
Borini does deserve another chance, but unfortunately if he plays like he did against West Ham, the knives will no doubt be out again.  Hope he's successful, mind, just like the entire team...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46:20 am »
I'd start any striker we had with Balotelli. He needs someone to play off. Between Lambert and Borini, Borini probably deserves it more based on the performances.

And they can communicate in Italian

Passion and workrate, invaluable when a team is not playing as well as it should.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46:43 am »
Doesn't birini have a pretty good record against Newcastle as well (hope I haven't just jinxed it)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 12:56:52 am »
I think its pretty obvious what we all want to see at the weekend...

Balo Borini
      Sterling
Coutinho Hendo

"We all"? I never trust a man who claims to speak for me.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2014, 02:57:58 am »
If we are gonna get the best of the players we have.....it is almost a certainity that we have to play with 2 up top against most of the teams in this divison. Our midfielders are not really profilic at this moment....  so if we persist with a formation which involves playing with a lone striker (ie.. 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3...etc), i can see the opposition defence having an easy time with us. Sturridge is the only forward i would consider playing as a lonee...

As for this weekend.... I will simply pair Balotelli with Sterling with Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana and Lucas (Whom i though gave the most fawless DM performance this season) behind them. I think Sterling presses just as much as borini...but offers more movement and goal threat.

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:29 am »
I'm really glad Mario scored that type of goal. Those are the types of chances he's been missing. His movement (and the brilliant delivery) dictated that it would have been fairly hard to miss, but I think it will be a big boost for him nonetheless. I don't mind scoring goals like that every game until Sturridge is back and then we can really get our groove on.

It's interesting that people say Borini should go alongside Mario when his moment of quality came from out wide. I understand Mario hasn't looked the best up top on his own, but I'm just not sure. If you put Borini out wide then you're giving him a sniff of the ball which I think improves his confidence. He looks a bit lost playing through the middle when I've seen him. His two best seasons for Roma and Sunderland have came from out wide too. He should definitely be on the bench, and if we need a goal, it's difficult to think that Markovic would be ahead of him in the pecking order at this moment of time. Even if it is just based off that game.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 03:13:09 am »
Most interesting thing to me is I think we definitely need to play Coutinho in central midfield. For whatever reason he's almost always been great there for us.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:11 am »
"We all"? I never trust a man who claims to speak for me.

That's the best post on RAWK for a while. Even if it does 'speak for me'.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline ocecynwa

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 04:17:15 am »
So Borini runs hard, makes the opposing keeper make a few comfortable saves and puts in one good cross and all of a sudden everyone wants him to start in the premier league too? I'm sorry but I don't see it, let's not forget that the manager didn't want him a few months ago. He's done very little to warrant a starting place in the main 11.
Remember when we used to sing "we've got the best midfield in the world'? Not so much anymore.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:30 am »
As opposed to everyone else who's cemented themselves with such certainty in the goalscoring department. 

Edit*

How many individual attacking performances have we seen, in any competition, that were better than Borini's today?  I'm not arguing it was in the top ten, but it's not as if he's not thrown his hat in the ring.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:38:56 am by Homo rubrum »
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 04:54:02 am »
Blinding cross.

That's as good as Borini's played for us and if his showing hasn't put him in the mix then nothing will.

Listening to TAW I've been thinking about rotation based on form and not upcoming fixtures. Been thinking about playing players into form and giving them the run out they might need to do that. If he's going to contribute at all this season then this could be the chance to give him some minutes.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 07:42:55 am »
So Borini runs hard, makes the opposing keeper make a few comfortable saves and puts in one good cross and all of a sudden everyone wants him to start in the premier league too? I'm sorry but I don't see it, let's not forget that the manager didn't want him a few months ago. He's done very little to warrant a starting place in the main 11.

Would you start Balotelli? Or Lambert? They haven't done any more???

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 08:10:59 am »
You apparently rate him yet the best compliments you can give him are "massive passion and workrate" and "works relentlessly". Does that not tell a story? I suspect "movement" will come in the next post despite him hardly scoring for us or Sunderland from open play. Tonight was one of the few times he's showed actual quality on the ball so hopefully he's improving, we need much better though.

nope not really considering i was speaking in relation to the opening post and not trying to simply pay him compliments. Thats two posts in a row you've misunderstood completely

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:46 am »
Borini is worth a try Saturday, has a good record against Newcastle and the two
Italian experiment against WHU was tainted by us going 2-0 immediately against one of the most solid defences in the league. Borinis work rate could also be key in increasing Gerrard's influence on games.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
I have time for Borini but I think the main concern with him is that moments of quality are too few and far between.

If he corrects that I think he can be a very, very good player.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:44 am »
I was suprised that Borini didn't get the chance of taking a free kick last night. I saw him score a cracker for the reserves where he got it to dip like Drogba or Ronaldo.
Hendo is just poor at free kicks and Mario was equally as wild. Is it just down to pecking order?
Also do we not practice taking corners in training? Some of them last night were shocking.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2014, 10:33:00 am »
Would be quite happy to see Borini get an extended run in the team alongside Balotelli.

The lad has talent but it must be incredibly difficult to impress and get consistency when you're making fleeting appearances here and there.

If it doesn't work it doesn't work but in light of Sturridge still being out, I think he deserves a run of 3 or 4 games.

The facts are, its not working for us as it stands, so just give it a try.

Quite often in football its not always about having the best players on the pitch.  Sometimes someone can add an element that can provide the glue needed for the rest of the team to kick on.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 10:42:12 am »
Would be quite happy to see Borini get an extended run in the team alongside Balotelli.

The lad has talent but it must be incredibly difficult to impress and get consistency when you're making fleeting appearances here and there.

If it doesn't work it doesn't work but in light of Sturridge still being out, I think he deserves a run of 3 or 4 games.

Quite often in football its not always about having the best players on the pitch.  Sometimes someone can add an element that can provide the glue needed for the rest of the team to kick on.
The reason it isn't working for us as it stands is because Balotelli has been missing chances. We are creating opportunities but they are being missed, I don't see how changing to a front two will make him more clinical in front of goal.

As I said yesterday, when we play the diamond we concede twice as many shots on goal than other formation as we leave the full-backs overloaded. It worked last year because we had two strikers who were always scoring and could get us out of trouble but Balotelli and Borini haven't looked like scoring enough goals to make that formation work.

I think when Sturridge returns we can get away with the diamond as he is a goal-scorer.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:30 am »
The reason it isn't working for us as it stands is because Balotelli has been missing chances. We are creating opportunities but they are being missed, I don't see how changing to a front two will make him more clinical in front of goal.

As I said yesterday, when we play the diamond we concede twice as many shots on goal than other formation as we leave the full-backs overloaded. It worked last year because we had two strikers who were always scoring and could get us out of trouble but Balotelli and Borini haven't looked like scoring enough goals to make that formation work.

I think when Sturridge returns we can get away with the diamond as he is a goal-scorer.

You really think we are creating loads of chances?

to be honest what i've seen the past few weeks is quite the opposite.

Sure, we create a few within a game, but not near on the level of last season.

We've for the most part been cumbersome and uncreative.

No doubt Balotelli should have put some of his chances away by now.

But there's no denying the amount of clear cut chances he has had have been limited.

So why not change it about a bit until Sturridge is back. 

And not for one game, but for 3 or 4?

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:55 am »

Have to agree

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:57 am »

Absolutely, his attitude was spot on last night and he showed some real ability at times. Probably our most dangerous attacker in the first half.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:31 am »

the manager also didn't want Balotelli. Or Sturridge or Henderson for that manager and seemingly doesn't want Lucas either which is fucking bizarre as far as I'm concerned.

Borini showed up well last night and should be rewarded for that.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:34 am »
You really think we are creating loads of chances?

to be honest what i've seen the past few weeks is quite the opposite.

Sure, we create a few within a game, but not near on the level of last season.

We've for the most part been cumbersome and uncreative.

No doubt Balotelli should have put some of his chances away by now.

But there's no denying the amount of clear cut chances he has had have been limited.

So why not change it about a bit until Sturridge is back. 

And not for one game, but for 3 or 4?
I don't think we've been creating as many chances as last season but we've done enough to score a lot more than we have. Balotelli should have scored the all important second against Everton, Spurs he missed a hat-trick of chances, could have had a couple against both QPR and Hull. At the moment we're missing the chances to score the all important first goal which then forces the opposition to open up a bit more and gives us more space.

Another reason the diamond worked last season was because Sturridge and Suarez could assist goals and score goals out of nothing. I'm not sure Balotelli and Borini are clinical enough or creative enough to do that. Balotelli has one assist in the Premier League and Borini has three.

If we were going to go two up I would like to see Sterling there as he has the creativity to make it work. (Hopefully Sturridge isn't out for 3-4 games anyway).
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 11:15:53 am »
Always said that Borini needs a run of games in the side. If nothing else he makes up for the sheer work-rate and determination we lost through Suarez. I really hope he can prove everyone wrong ala Henderson.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2014, 11:28:41 am »
Starting to get a bit worried about Markovic myself. Looks completely out of his depth
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2014, 11:33:41 am »
Starting to get a bit worried about Markovic myself. Looks completely out of his depth

He's had a largely injury interrupted season with us so far. Hasn't looked great yet, but can understand it considering he's still really young and coming to a new league.

Not every player settles straight away.