Author Topic: Jesús Joaquín Fernández Sáez de la Torre (Suso)  (Read 523274 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jesús Joaquín Fernández Sáez de la Torre (Suso)
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2013, 11:44:09 am »
It's boss not being in the Europa League isn't it? 60% of our fans say so. It'll give Suso valuable time with his family.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2013, 11:55:01 am »
It's boss not being in the Europa League isn't it? 60% of our fans say so. It'll give Suso valuable time with his family.

I'll never understand fans of clubs with extensive youth/reserve teams who turn their noses up at the Europa League. I fear our missing out on it it will stall the progression of Suso and, to a lesser degree, Sterling and Wisdom. It also makes Coates' Liverpool career a write-off if it isn't already, and gives us less oppurtunities to let Borini find his feet.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2013, 11:57:43 am »
I dont see Suso playing except in the Carling Cup. I'm sure we all heard Rodgers comments about how the weak squad and the reliance on young players at the beginning of the season cost them. Such comments makes me think there wont be a lot of opportunities for amazing lads like Suso.
Difference, hopefully, next season will be that we won't be relying on these lads in a struggling team trying to adapt to a new system and manager. Brendan can pick and choose the games he gives them. I think the likes of Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Robinson, Ibe et al will get games, just not all at the same time and not game after game. That should help both them and the team step up a level.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2013, 12:34:26 pm »
Difference, hopefully, next season will be that we won't be relying on these lads in a struggling team trying to adapt to a new system and manager. Brendan can pick and choose the games he gives them. I think the likes of Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Robinson, Ibe et al will get games, just not all at the same time and not game after game. That should help both them and the team step up a level.

Which is why we can't have them too many "waiting in the wings". The game-time will be distributed too thinly across them, and will effect the development for all. I agree with most that Sterling should stay, as I believe he will still get a steady amount of game-time, more evenly across the season. He will still be regarded as a good impact sub option.

For me, Shelvey should be sold.... Alberto is pretty much replacing him in the squad. Alberto will be getting the game-time Shelvey got last season, and Shelvey is simply going down the pecking order. Personally, I think it has come to a point where we have to prioritise who we should focus our time and energy on going forward - Shelvey or Suso. For me, Shelvey has far too many deficiencies in his game to ever really make it at the highest level. The alleged fees linked with Shelvey will cover what we paid for Alberto.

Although, yes, Suso should definitely go out on loan as he needs consistent game-time to prove himself - we cannot allow him to stagnate. It'll also guarantee that Alberto will rack up a fair amount of appearances for our first team next season.

Seeing as we don't seem to be looking at any LBs, Robinson should get a place back in the squad - hopefully more mature from his loan spell.

I think Ibe is still more of an U21s player, who will regularly get opportunities to train with the first team.... but not too much gametime at senior level. Coady is in a similar position, although there is a gap in the squad for that DM role (no real back-ups), so we'll see how much game-time he gets...... and then we can decide whether he needs a loan spell next January or in Summer 2014.... or not.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:37:07 pm by SweetSilverSevens »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2013, 12:38:11 pm »
Chill out guys.

Suso will get plenty of game time as Lucas' understudy.

« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »
This doesn't make any sense, Rodgers was lambasted for failing to do well in the cups and that was because we used young players most of the competition. If we get knocked out by some back water European team the manager gets labeled as naive and accused of lack of ambition.

As for Suso someone needs to pull him to one side and tell him he needs to go on loan, he may think he's showing dedication by turning down offers but he is being extremely naive. If he fails to progress the club won't show the same dedication he will be gone and he may struggle to find another platform to show his talent. He should focus on progressing as a player before thinking of establishing himself as a Liverpool player
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:44:48 pm by hugoboss »

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »
Chill out guys.

Who told you so?
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »
Who told you so?
He's the 'keeper you know.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2013, 04:08:31 pm »
I'd really like to see Suso go out on a season long loan with Coutinho and possibly another number 10 coming in he really needs to be playing regularly.

It's a shame Southampton are so well stocked in an attacking sense, would have been the perfect club for him to go to.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2013, 04:10:38 pm »
Chill out guys.

That would be worrisome. Suso's current game is not defensive. If you had said either other midfield position fine, but Lucas'?

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:50 pm »
I'd really like to see Suso go out on a season long loan with Coutinho and possibly another number 10 coming in he really needs to be playing regularly.

It's a shame Southampton are so well stocked in an attacking sense, would have been the perfect club for him to go to.

Southampton is a good shout, i was thinking Wigan too, if they had stayed up.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »

I'm on board with that. I'd say Wigan anyway, with a clause we can pull him back in case of injuries.
He needs to play games.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2013, 04:47:10 pm »
Chill out guys.

Enrique's understudy.

The new Aurelio.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »
We've got Lucas, Henderson, Allen and Gerrard for 2 positions and Henderson, Suso, Shelvey, Coutinho fighting it out for the attacking mid. If Alberto comes in then that's pretty much it for Suso's playing time if he doesn't go out on loan.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »
We've got Lucas, Henderson, Allen and Gerrard for 2 positions and Henderson, Suso, Shelvey, Coutinho fighting it out for the attacking mid. If Alberto comes in then that's pretty much it for Suso's playing time if he doesn't go out on loan.

No cover at left back though. So he'll be alright for minutes there.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:11 pm »

If we sign Mkhitaryan, he will start at the tip of the midfield three. Coutinho will be played wide next year.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
Really like to see Suso groomed for the Alonso role,needs more defensive work but he has vision and can ping it to a player at ease.
YNWA

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:20 pm »
I'll never understand fans of clubs with extensive youth/reserve teams who turn their noses up at the Europa League. I fear our missing out on it it will stall the progression of Suso and, to a lesser degree, Sterling and Wisdom. It also makes Coates' Liverpool career a write-off if it isn't already, and gives us less oppurtunities to let Borini find his feet.
Agreed, Europa is a very unique tournament in that it gives teams a chance to give some European play to younger less developed players that wouldn't get that chance in the Champions League. That being said, considering that we aren't in it, we might as well look at a positive in that we will be able to focus more on domestic play.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:07 pm »
If we sign Mkhitaryan, he will start at the tip of the midfield three. Coutinho will be played wide next year.

Thanks Brendan, enjoy your summer. xoxoxo <3
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2013, 12:49:54 am »
Chill out guys.

Eventually moving into the role Gerrard plays now as a slightly deep lying playmaker.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2013, 03:35:42 am »
Dont think he will get anymore games than here at Southampton. Wigan is a good shout.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2013, 05:59:16 am »
A good option, if it works out, is loaning Suso to a club like Getafe. That team always gets talented players on loan from top teams and actually play them. Or Liverpool can sell Suso with a buy back option. If he keeps progressing, LFC can buy him back again. Obviously, the team needs to be chosen carefully, so he is not bought and benched so that LFC doesn't buy him back.

Anyway, LFC must make sure Pacheco scenario doesn't happen to Sterling and Suso. Pacheco came with a lot of hype from Barca, and now, he must be questioning himself if he was stupid to leave Barca to get playing time. His mates from Spanish youth teams have far advanced ahead of him by now.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:01 am »
I think he's too good in the final third to be playing deeper. Has that rare gift of spotting cute angled passes around the box.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »
Thanks Brendan, enjoy your summer. xoxoxo <3

It's kind of straightforward though. Mkhitarayan will take Henderson's position in the side - clearly he is being touted as the first eleven upgrade signing - which means Coutinho will be pushed wide and drift inwards naturally. You'd expect versatility from all the players in attacking positions though, so switching positions will happen during matches.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:07:40 pm by Il Capitano »

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24:45 pm »
I think he's too good in the final third to be playing deeper. Has that rare gift of spotting cute angled passes around the box.

He will really need to increase his goal threat if he wants to be playing in the final third in my opinion.

2 goals this season (both in the reserves) don't exactly make a convincing case for playing him close to goal.

He made 20 first-team appearances playing 916 minutes (just over the equivalent of 10 full games) as well as playing 8 full games for the reserves.

That's 2 goal in 28 appearances where he played 1636 minutes (equivalent of 18 and a bit full games) this season.

I think he got a few more goals in the previous season for the reserves but he played a lot more as well.

However I don't think he was anyway near prolific and there's a massive difference in being able to score goals in the reserves versus in the first team.

Overall unless he ups his goal return a lot, I think he won't be played all that close to goal as it's a serious defect in having a forward who isn't a serious goal threat.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2013, 01:45:04 pm »

Is he?

I stand to be corrected here, and im sure someone will offer up a counter argument to this, but I really don’t think he is.

I mean, Suso looks like he should playing those passes, he’s diminutive, he can pass, he’s good in tight situations.

He looks like a Spanish no10 from the ground up, I just don’t think he ever actually *is* that player.

I don’t think Suso does play those passes, or create those angles. I don’t think he is that no10 that he so readily appears to be. In fact, I think the closer he gets to the opposition goal he increasingly looks less like that player.

His play becomes rushed, he looks like he has less time on the ball, he makes the wrong decisions, he forces the ball too often looking to make the killer pass and he doesn’t ever really look like scoring himself.

Don’t get me wrong, I rate Suso. He’s clearly got bags of ability. But I think people are far too quick to pigeon hole him as a Silva/Mata/Iniesta type player.

It could just be age and inexperience that’s leading him to be missing a few of those elements to his game, but for me Suso looks a much better prospect in a deeplying midfield role.

His coaches at Liverpool seem to disagree, as he very rarely gets a go in there for us. But for Spain he’s near enough always in the centre of the pitch, playing as a genuine CM. And looks better for it (imho).

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2013, 01:47:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure he dramatically increased his goal return for the reserves in the season before last, just as people were saying he really needed to score more goals. I think a good few of those came from free kicks though.

David Silva has scored 43 goals in 289 appearances, so about once every 7 games. Goals are certainly nice, but you don't have to be prolific to play as an attacking player. Besides, Suso's best position is deeper in midfield imo because one of his biggest strengths is his vision and range of passing.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »
Sahin goal vs West Brom, great fake to ground Olsen and skin him then a soft touch pass down the side for Assaidi. Then there were a couple of other clever little misdirection passes in the Europa leading to goals/decent chances. Can't remember specifics though, I'll have a look when I get home. These are generally the games when he has played AMC. In the league he was mostly touchline tight on the right.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
I think suso does create the angles required and  he has that lovely drop of shoulder but playing in the am role he struggles to find space.That will mostly come with experience.

I doubt he will take the "lucas" role...maybe alongside him at a stretch.
the silva route looks the most likely one, get game time on the wings and then move centrally.

either way it's not a good thing he's playing somewhere for spain and somewhere else for us.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline LFC Jim

• Kopite
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2013, 02:40:14 pm »
Can see him being more of the Coutinho type role. Starts out wide but cuts in to create room for the full back to push on.
Bring Back Sami.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »
From watching him play since he got here I agree with the shouts for him playing deeper in midfield. His passing is more Alonso than Coutinho. Suso tends to give the pass before the assist. He has great vision and a drop of the shoulder that Peter Beagrie has wet dreams about. Also has a bit of steel about him. My only worry is his lack of athleicism. Very quick off the mark but doesn't seem to cover much ground.

We'll see more of him for Spain in the coming weeks playing deeper. Although they're a lot more fluid and you will see Suso popping up all over the pitch.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »
His coaches at Liverpool seem to disagree, as he very rarely gets a go in there for us. But for Spain he’s near enough always in the centre of the pitch, playing as a genuine CM. And looks better for it (imho).

For the majority of  the time he has played in the reserves we have been playing 4-2-3-1 where we had a midfield whose primariy function was to be a defensive shield [typically a paring of Coady and Roddan] and the onus was on the full-backs getting forward to add creativity [Robinson, McLaughlin, Smith] to the attacking front four. The system we were playing wasnt really looking for a lot in the way of creativity from midfield. 

With the benefit of hindsight I think we would have benefited more from playing one of Suso or Adorjan, in terms of developing their games, ahead of Roddan in midfield, even if it would have meant we probably wouldnt have been as defensively secure. 

Wikipedia says Suso scored 5 in 17 appearances in the reserves in 11/12 and 3 in 17 appearances in 10/11. Those figures seem about right to my memory and while they improve things a bit in terms of his goal-scoring record, overall his goal scoring has been underwhelming to my eyes, even given the age/time period covered for a player people want to see playing primarily in the final third.

Basically his goal figures look more along the sort you would expect from a midfielder than a forward.

Seeing as I'm giving out about him I'd also like to see some improvement with his weaker foot. Obviously his control and touch with his stronger foot is magical but I'd like to see him develop his weaker foot to give himself the best possible chance of becoming a TOP TOP PLAYER.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
Sahin goal vs West Brom, great fake to ground Olsen and skin him then a soft touch pass down the side for Assaidi. Then there were a couple of other clever little misdirection passes in the Europa leading to goals/decent chances. Can't remember specifics though, I'll have a look when I get home. These are generally the games when he has played AMC. In the league he was mostly touchline tight on the right.

That Sahin goal comes from him starting deep and moving forward though.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »
Is he?

I stand to be corrected here, and im sure someone will offer up a counter argument to this, but I really don’t think he is.

I mean, Suso looks like he should playing those passes, he’s diminutive, he can pass, he’s good in tight situations.

He looks like a Spanish no10 from the ground up, I just don’t think he ever actually *is* that player.

I don’t think Suso does play those passes, or create those angles. I don’t think he is that no10 that he so readily appears to be. In fact, I think the closer he gets to the opposition goal he increasingly looks less like that player.

His play becomes rushed, he looks like he has less time on the ball, he makes the wrong decisions, he forces the ball too often looking to make the killer pass and he doesn’t ever really look like scoring himself.

Don’t get me wrong, I rate Suso. He’s clearly got bags of ability. But I think people are far too quick to pigeon hole him as a Silva/Mata/Iniesta type player.

It could just be age and inexperience that’s leading him to be missing a few of those elements to his game, but for me Suso looks a much better prospect in a deeplying midfield role.

I'd agree with this. Not sure what it is, but there's something about him that suggests to me he might end up in an Alonso-type of role, deep lying, but distributing all over the pitch. He has a bit more pace and less of the astonishing range of passes, but I would like to see him being groomed for this position.

I see he's now launched his own brand of soft drinks, too.

Suso. Acheiving greatness. I like it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rednationals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 05:18:57 am »
Seems like there could be an overcrowding of talent on the wings and CAM roles at the club, plus we are a bit thin at CM (who would of thought that a few years ago).  If Suso doesn't go out on loan, I would like to see him get more time in CM used in the style of Alonso.  If we are up by a few goals, rest Gerrard, bring on Suso.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2013, 11:06:02 am »
A loan deal to Southampton sounds good. Would they be interested, though?
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:07 pm »
Can't see it, and even if they were, he'd be on the bench for them imho. Rather he went to a championship club like Brighton and spent  the whole season as first choice.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »
Somewhere like Swansea would suit Suso, I feel.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »
Somewhere like Swansea would suit Suso, I feel.
But would Swansea want him? I don't feel so. Loaning to a championship club would be great for him. Blackpool, Watford, Bolton I suppose
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »
But would Swansea want him? I don't feel so. Loaning to a championship club would be great for him. Blackpool, Watford, Bolton I suppose

No it won't.