Author Topic: The King isn't dead, long live the King.Why Red isn't just the colour of Romance  (Read 13492 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
From The Return of the King to The King's Speech, every subtle and unsubtle film, book, historical saying, song and sea shanty phrase has been used to proclaim Dalglish's return to management. Every creative use of the word that was ever written has turned up on someone's post and thread and banner and flag of late.

Now lets be honest, we're a sentimental lot at the best and worst of times. No denying it. Not self pity city but real sentiment (though we're a right shower of bastards when we lose and its been a lot of showers recently) and the one single thing that Kenny could guarantee was an outpouring of emotion upon his return.

And when it comes to creative writings, what better proof that football is truly stranger than art. Kenny's first game v MR Alex Ferguson at the theatre of rubbish (with a beautiful swan dive from the ballerina Berbatov to cap the artistry off).

The noise we made there told you that in quiet corners of our sentimental nostalgic red tinted specs, that Liverpool might be looking once more at that hill to come up. Not coming up it yet though, a day trip to pleasure beach was anything but and then the derby against that other shower across the park reminded us of the reality that is the mire we're in.

You see, what most other fans of other clubs don't get about us is this. We're not fatalists like Manchester City fans, we're not glory boys in blue and bitter bitters who only believe the worst. But nor are we the purely sentimental emotional backward looking idealists that most media and misunderstanderers would have us be. Pete Wylie may tug at our heart strings but you don't live in a port only looking inland.

Liverpool fans love their history - as much as others do. We've long memories, but then so have Spurs fans - "I tell yer mate, we played some right proper football in them days" and never mind the Geordies - "Wear still a big cloob man", but as much as the press and pundits would love to have it, Reds are more than romanticists, we're realists too.

And that's why the noise for Kenny may have reminded us of past atmospheres, but it was for something more real and futuristic than that.

It was a noise of a waking giant that said we're trusting one of our own to rouse the slumbering red men and take us up that hill and once more, if nothing else, get some fucking passion into our players.

Someone on here said they'd seen Fernando smile for the first time in ages on Sunday. Well I know this, there were players at OT that were unrecognisable from previous weeks, like shackles had been released from their ankles and blinkers from their eyes.

But whilst that sounds like Mills and Boon for footballers, we all know the truth is out there. Kenny has one very difficult job on his hands, and I'll be honest, I was very very worried about his return. Because I (and everyone else lets be honest) knew he alone could rouse the players and unite the fans, repair that fracture between club and supporter. But could he actually manage the team…
So far the red reality is this: He’s not won a game yet, and the facts are there to see, we’re in a mess at the moment. The defence is wonky, the midfield unsure and our forwards less forward than a nun at a trappist dance night.

But I’ve been reassured by a couple of things. Firstly the appointment of Steve Clark, an astute move that said Kenny accepted he might need new outside blood, not circling the wagons but extending the hand of invitation. Secondly, his press conferences, not defensive and mumbling and full of reasons but reality and bite and wit – what we expect from a Liverpool manager. And finally and perhaps the most tenuous and emotional of all, but one I expect reds to understand (and frankly the rest can fuck off) – a sense of purpose.
In all our games confidence has been low but we’ve played and more importantly tried to play the Liverpool way of passing and moving and playing to our skills and enjoying the football as best we can. Our first half v Evershit was some of the nicest fastest movement and support for the front men I’ve seen in a long time.

Whisper it boys, its that sense, that urgency and desire and most importantly that unity between player and manager and fan that is somewhere growing, that is somewhere slowly but surely rising in voice and deed. Whatever happens the rest of this season, I’m suddenly once more a Liverpool fan bonded and interested and part of that surge, the swell and song and shout and the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.

Realistically we’re a romantic bunch. But we’re a right shower of realists too. And if for nothing else, Kenny Dalglish gets my support until the end of the season at the very least, to start to get it right and nurture back to life, the Liverpool that I love.
Yep.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
Amen!
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
 :wellin

Well Fucking said.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
spot on

this season is crap,Roy left burned ground...i expect real Kenny in the next season,with few new signs
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
Thats a great Post and i thoroughly agree with what you said
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
I'm keeping an open mind as to how long-term a solution he is. But that still means heads down and 100% support until the end of the season.
You may rest assured that the national media will be stirring constantly to make us feel bad whatever happens. Also remember this club needs senior ex-players on the scene - and perhqps on the board - who aren't tarnished by having asked for Hodgson to be given more time.

Offline JWAlonso

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Agree with what you are saying.
"At The End Of The Storm, There Is A Golden Sky"

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Well said Sir. 

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
Doffs cap well said

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
Wish i could have put it that elequently. Well in.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
A great post.  :thumbup :wellin :wellin :thumbup
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Well, in the main, we have got our pride back and that's really all that counts this season - if we can play the best we can, we'll be ok and slowly the rot that has set in will at least be partially cured
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Brilliant. Amen.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Whisper it boys, its that sense, that urgency and desire and most importantly that unity between player and manager and fan that is somewhere growing, that is somewhere slowly but surely rising in voice and deed. Whatever happens the rest of this season, I’m suddenly once more a Liverpool fan bonded and interested and part of that surge, the swell and song and shout and the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.

Exactly. This is something non Reds don't get. Its about revival, simultaneous revival of our collective sensibility and emotional orientation as well as the progression we make on the pitch.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SuperSub77

• Kopite
  • Scals aren't what they used to be
    • terrace ultra
Lovely stuff.

You echo the sentiments of many educated supporters, Kenny has everything we need right now, but can he still manage?

Like a tortured soul, we needed someone who really loves us. We need someone who knew what we are all about, knew what made us tick, understood the Liverpool feeling. We needed someone who would fight for us and revive us.

Unfortunately, Kenny is the only man for the job, as he helped to create that feeling.

I think that's why a lot of people, including me, loved Rafa - he understood us, the Liverpool way and would do all he could to repay our faith and pride. He was proud to be our manager.
"I was a teenage armchair Honved fan"

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
Can't add anything to that Hinsey, other than simply Bravo mate! Great read and i agree a million, billion percent. ;D
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
excellent post, and .........spot on.
 :D :D

Offline Scorpio68

• Main Stander
Class Post, spot on with all points  :thumbup
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:19:42 am by Scorpio68 »

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
Bravo that man
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
Kenny's appointment has returned the club to its spiritual home. The fans. As such it is, perversely, the final act in the story of G&H. The first chapter of the new book is still to be written.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes

Realistically we’re a romantic bunch. But we’re a right shower of realists too. And if for nothing else, Kenny Dalglish gets my support until the end of the season at the very least, to start to get it right and nurture back to life, the Liverpool that I love.

We haven't been a "right shower of realists" for a while now. The combination of historical success of unmatched proportions, the 20-year monkey on our back, and Chelsea's instant gratification under Roman and Mourinho have if anything served to turn a bunch of us into anything *but* realists. There are those amongst us who cheered the dismantling of Rafa's Spanish Proving Grounds the very year Spain won the World Cup, and sought the type of instant gratification personified by Joe Cole.

I'll admit - and those who know me will bear witness - that the appointment of my first favourite last Friday made me drunk with delirium. I didn't care about the United result - as incredible as that sounds - because Kenny was back, and he orchestrated a massive performance at Trafford on a night's notice.

However, results should send us crashing back down to realism with a thud. While I agree with and enthuse over your brilliant post, I'm starting to wonder if the excitement we've been feeling isn't another manifestation of instant gratification. Two draws and a loss in his first three matches should remind us that we're fighting relegation. Both Blackpool and Everton were right around us in the table when we played them, and we let both off the hook. Our next bunch of matches are against Wolves, Fulham and Stoke - 5 points below us, 3 points below us, and 5 points above us.

We're in hell. And we're not being realistic about it.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice that hinesy.

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
Cracking read :)
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great read mate.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline kalledaa

• Main Stander
great post!

royhendo

Always a treat when you post sir.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
That should be nailed to the front door of this site. Brilliant post Hinesy mate.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
Very well written that Hinesy.

I'm not worried about Kenny at all.  A true leader like Kenny will always get people to follow.

The media are only talking about the romantic side of Kenny's return and so are other teams fan's around the country because they like to have the soundbite of comparing us to Newcastle and there fans, when Keegan returned.

That's the way i like it because it means they'll continue to under estimate us and write us off. You could see from Kenny's first media interview that he was able to run round the media and there loaded questions with the skill and grace that he used to run round defenders and leave them bemused and open mouthed.

If he manages the team exactly like he did last time then that's more than good enough for me as he'll if nothing else bring the team back to the ethos and principles that brought us all our success.

Pass and Move and Attack, Seek  and Destroy.

I have a feeling in my soul, blood and guts that we will start coming up the hill again with Kenny leading from the front.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
Best post i've read on here in an awful long time.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
We're in hell. And we're not being realistic about it.
Really good OP, absolutely spot on.

Have quoted El C's last line too though because I think that's also true. Strange emotions when Kenny was appointed. Excitement, joy, relief but also this nagging fear deep down that was pretty much unmentionable. Specifically the fear that if Kenny can't turn it around, then who can? Last chance saloon is a bit drastic, but during the Blackpool game that feeling of fear made itself known. At 2-1 down in the derby it was there again.

But I don't want to be negative in a positive thread. Seen enough to suggest we're turning a corner, but it's fragile. We need that first win under our belt and Kenny will get the confidence flowing. Let's face it, he's steeped in the team spirit of those 80's teams (personified by the pre-match singing in Rome in '84). He was an essential part of it, and he knows how important it is. If he can begin to re-create something similar in the dressing room, then I'm confident we can turn things around and get teams fearing us again rather than the other way round.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
Couldn't agree more. Make us believe again, Kenny.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Great read Hinesy and very much how many of us feel.

Footy is all about money now if you want success. Currently the team has lacked investment for the obvious reason. (two actually!)  Stoke and Sunderland have had medium investment each summer and so are above us in the table. When we can replace the three massive losses of recent times in Sami, Masc and Alonso then we will see us rise again and get back where we want to be.

The team may not be winning yet but there does seem to be fight now and the type of football we like to watch. The realism that we are in a fight has dawned on most but with the current management set up we should be able to stop the rot.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Brave Lee Flea

• Kopite
  • Brave Lee turned his tail and fled....
.....He was proud to be our manager.

Are you suggesting that the LMA Manager of the Year was not proud to be our manager? Well I says yer wrong! It was like a reward for him, a pat on the back for a job well done, not just at Fulham but also all those years before. Yessir, the man had enormous pride in himself for being our manager.
I'm a believer.

Offline Brave Lee Flea

• Kopite
  • Brave Lee turned his tail and fled....
Also ... completely agree with the OP. Nicely done.
I'm a believer.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good post that.

Thought about it as Kenny was appointed.

They woke the sleeping giant..

Up the hill lads!

@Yvanicuzz

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Nice words from Steven.....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/867315/steven-gerrard-desperate-for-dalglish-to-stay-on-at-liverpool?cc=5739

Steven Gerrard says he is determined to ensure Liverpool's form improves so Kenny Dalglish is handed the manager's job on a permanent basis at the end of the season..............

"I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months," Gerrard told LFC Weekly. "I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen.

"I won't lie. When Kenny rang to say he was coming back it was a big lift. I love Kenny as a person and I've certainly enjoyed the first few days we've had working with him. I can see a positive future for Kenny at the club.

"I think he's the perfect person to get everyone moving in the right direction again. He's the talisman at this club. His nickname, the King, says it all really. He's the perfect manager and also person to bring it all together. It's time to re-group and for us all to be pulling in the right direction because this season certainly hasn't been good enough."

And from Dirk:

"It means a lot to all of us that Kenny has come to the club. He is a legend for all of us, players and supporters. It was really positive and I thought the way the supporters supported us was unbelievable. I think Dalglish is probably one of the most important former players and managers for Liverpool. You only have to listen to the crowd how important he is, and that is the same for the players.

"I don't want to be disrespectful to Hodgson because he gave everything he could. He just wanted to play a certain way. If you put every manager next to each other, every one has his own training sessions, his own tactics, his own way of playing. He gave everything for the club to do his best and it is just a shame it didn't work out."

Me......I don't think it is fair just to give Kenny the job until the end of the season and I don't believe that FSG have any fixed plans yet other than to see how it goes. It's up to the players and Kenny and the staff now. If things start to improve and we start to play like we can then the over-whelming support from all of the fans will tell FSG what they need to do.

I want to see Kenny here for the next 5 years as manager so FSG need to give him a helping hand by bringing in one or two exciting players in January to lift the whole squad. This will be very expensive in the short term as they will have to pay over the odds to get good players in January but it will be well worth it; the long term plan is to get good players coming up through the ranks.
#JFT97

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
A post not to be missed - great read that Hinesy.

Agree with all you say, the cloud seems to have finally lifted from the players - once they start to fully gel as a team we'll be back up that hill...