Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by decosabute on Today at 01:55:22 pm »
Feels like no-one who is horrified at people even discussing selling him is prepared to actually answer these questions. Currently, he's leaving in a year on a free - that's where we're at, that's the base scenario. If you don't want that to happen, you either sell him now or you offer him a 2-year extension on £300-400k until he's 35, keeping him amongst the highest paid players in the league - those are likely the options we're working with. I personally think a 1-year extension and/or reduced wages would be our best option, but I think that's almost certainly a non-starter from Salah's own perspective. So for those arguing it's lunacy to sell now, what do you actually think we should do? (not Coolie, he's at least stated that he thinks we should renew Salah's contract). If the contract situation was different the argument would be different because we could just wait and see, but we have to make a decision about this in the next 6 months. If you don't think we should be offering another enormously expensive contract, then all you're really arguing is whether he should leave this summer or next summer, and whether we should try and get some money out of it.

This idea that "we can't replace him" therefore we can't have a discussion about it just doesn't hold any water for me. What's the plan, liquidate the club when Salah retires? We never replaced our greatest ever midfielder in Gerrard, but we've done alright since.

Teams evolve, players emerge, landscapes change. I don't really agree either with the idea that it would be more palatable if the rest of the attack was functioning - Salah is a fairly big part of this problem right now (even just in terms of his role/position, before even getting into form), and it doesn't get magically better if he stays another year, with another year on the clock, and another year of us having to likely tweak our tactics to suit a player who can't physically do what he used to - how does that help the others? Small sample sizes and all that, but we've scored more in the league without him this season, and he's actually third in our squad in terms of minutes per non-penalty goal. I'm not one who thinks stats tell the full story, but the idea that we could just never, ever, ever possibly replace his goals seems wildly overstated to me (the biggest issue with this is that Jota can't stay fit). Replacing his all round production (goals and assists) is far, far tougher, but again people are fixating on replacing a player that may or may not still exist at that level by the time next season kicks off. The 2025 version of Salah very likely won't be able to replace the 2023 version.

Which is not to say we won't miss him when he goes - of course we will, massively. But he is going, whether it's this summer or next summer (or maybe the one after that, at a push). So unless the plan is to just give up on being competitive again when he does, then we're going to have to have a go at replacing him/what he brings at some point.

Outstanding post. Agree with every bit of it and you've expressed my thoughts far better than I could.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Klopp Template
« Last post by Chris~ on Today at 01:54:52 pm »
Arsenal have like 14/15 players Arteta trusts and then just a load he seems terrified to put on the pitch like Elneny, Viera or Nelson. Can see some of their players breaking down or having a drop off if they don't get some kind of depth over the next 12 months.
Still don't see why we can't put our Pep in charge for a season and Klopp has a year off. He's still better than all the managers were linked with.

Quite a few reasons, primarily I think Pep decided to move on himself along with Klopp.

Also Pep failed in his only management job so far, he's got zero experience of managing a small club successfully let alone one of our size, that is a huge risk and I don't agree he is a better prospect v's names linked. He might be as good as a coach but as a manager and all that entails no I don't see it.

He's very wedded to the current tactical set up of inverted fullback (he implemented it at NEC) and bet his salary here on it working. It failed originaly here, he adapted it and it now works well but it's such a plan a and no plan anything else, and its too risky to build around Trent as when Trent doesn't play we look pretty lost. I just think it's too perfect a system and probably needs endless wealth to get the level of players needed to execute it perfectly.

I also (based on nothing firm) don't think he sees eye to eye with the likes of Edwards, Ward, Spearman etc. I think they disagree on what constitutes the right player for the club, especially when you look at the likes of Gakpo, Gravenberch.
« Last post by jepovic on Today at 01:50:23 pm »
If we get a £100m offer and he's prepared to go, I can pretty much guarantee we'd snap whoever's hand off, I don't think there'd even be a discussion - I don't think that will happen though, because I don't think Salah would want to go to Saudi yet and no European team is offering that.

I think people might need to adjust those expectations a little - whether I/we all agree or not, I think a £50m bid puts the cat firmly amongst the pigeons at board level. Then you're looking at foregoing nearly £70m to get to keep a sub-peak Salah for a single year. That's a lot of money....
You're looking at this rationally, from the point of view of limited money. The Saudis have infinite money.
We got 40M for Fabinho.

Salah would raise the image of the whole league, in a way that no other player could. Yes, they can wait a year, but they want to improve the state of their league now.
The Boozer / Re: Watches
« Last post by kopite77 on Today at 01:48:31 pm »
BTW, my 26 years of good fortune has come from having it serviced by Tag only. It's a bit of a hassle getting into town and it might take a few days but well worth it.
Yes, if you own a Luxury Watch you are always better going to the company who made it for service, a slight word of warning though, if it’s an older model with signs of wear on the dial which holds sentimental value to you, tell them if they’re also replacing the dial tell them you want the old one returning with the watch, the same goes for the bracelet, you will be surprised if you come to sell it how much replacing the dial and bracelet will devalue the watch.

As for the servicing of the movement, especially if it’s an in house movement they should only ever be serviced by the company who made it, if it’s an ETA or Sellita third party movement then yes they can be serviced by most competent Watchmakers, but if they have any complications or modifications added by the watch company they should be serviced themselves for peace of mind, they also guarantee the work they have done.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Klopp Template
« Last post by Haggis36 on Today at 01:47:04 pm »
I find that hard to believe considering Arsenal were knocked out of the Cup early. We went quite far in both Cup competitions as well as suffered more injuries than either City or Arsenal.

You can look at the numbers if you like. Each team's top 10 most featured players:

Saliba 3962, Gabriel 3822, Rice 3734, White 3565, Odegaard 3514, Saka 3435, Havertz 3304, Raya 3180, Martinelli 2454, Zinchenko 2031 - AVERAGE 3,300

Foden 3680, Rodri 3618, Dias 3503, Walker 3396, Ederson 3334, Haaland 3283, Akanji 3206, Alvarez 3162, Silva 3099, Gvrdiol 1849 - AVERAGE 3,213

Virgil 3532, Diaz 3148, Mcca 3069, Gomez, 2988, Nunez 2860, Salah 2743, Dom 2604, Gakpo 2594, Konate 2524, Kelleher 2400 - AVERAGE 2,846

Caveat: club football only.
General Football and Sport / Re: Everton - The 777 Unflushables
« Last post by disgraced cake on Today at 01:46:48 pm »
777 are now trying to sell Red Star and Stadard Liege to raise money to buy Everton. They are utterly broke :lmao

These are going to be the biggest set of shysters the league has ever seen when it's all said and done.
Well he is done, said so himself.

This is a key point that some people are overlooking. It's the reason he's leaving.

But it doesn't mean this is the reason for our current funk. Last season was terrible for us. This season was supposed to be about rebuilding, with a whole new midfield. Taking the season as a whole, we're massively overachieving, especially when you consider the injuries we've had. It does look like we've run out of steam now, but without Klopp's management this season, we'd probably be languishing around the same level as Chelsea in the table.

I do think a change will be good for us though. I've long thought that a large part of the reason for the mess United are in (for over 10 years now) is down to Ferguson staying on too long. Nine years feels like a long time for one person to be manager of a football club. Nothing lasts forever and if Klopp is at the end of his tether, things won't improve if he stays.

What makes it hard is that there clearly isn't anyone out there of Klopp's calibre who can take over. But I'm excited to see what next season brings for us. I get why some people are saying they're done with football after this season, because of the bigger picture with the corruption in the game at the highest levels and despicable nation states owning clubs, but I could never stop supporting Liverpool and I think there's lots to be optimistic about if we do get Amorim.

But only for a year. Lots of stress taking on the cheats year after year, so a rest would do him good.

Nah, it's time for him to walk away from the game for good. As others have said, he's earned it. It's sad but I don't think we'll see Klopp in a managerial role ever again.

Still don't see why we can't put our Pep in charge for a season and Klopp has a year off. He's still better than all the managers were linked with.

This has been gone over so many times over the past 200-odd pages. Not sure why it's still an idea in anyone's head.
« Last post by Barryg21 on Today at 01:44:59 pm »
It all depends on what offers we get and what he would demand for an extension.

We would and should take 200M in a heartbeat, and I actually dont think its impossible that such an offer would come from the saudis.
He's obviously not a 200M player anymore, but he is the best player from the region ever. He's a huge star.
100M seems more realistic though, and if that is the case we would have to think hard about it.

My guess is that he is worth more to the saudis than to us.

The comparisons with the other 30+ players is missing this aspect completely. Obviously we would sell Robbo for 100M...

Thats crazy talk - of course the Saudis want him, but they can get him for nothing in a year. And Mo can stay for a yr, leave on a free and get an (even bigger) sign on
People are acting like we have all the leverage- we dont
He has 1 yr left
No one in Europe will offer us big money for him
And the Saudis act as a cartel as owned by PIF - they aint bidding against themselves
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by gemofabird on Today at 01:41:34 pm »
Need to bin the energy drink cup and FA cup next year if this is how it leaves at end of season
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10