Author Topic: Sakho  (Read 102843 times)

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sakho
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »
to answer all who quoted me i dont remember sakho being linked with a move

agger was though
I always thought it was Skrtel who was originally being moved on. But Agger's inability to stay fit must have changed that?
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
I always thought it was Skrtel who was originally being moved on. But Agger's inability to stay fit must have changed that?
No chance. Skrtel was first choice with Lovren. That was Rodgers preference when Lovren came in
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »
Highly doubt we`d sell him or he`d want to leave but there`s definitely gonna be some inquiries from some of the biggest clubs. Sakho is in Top 3 defenders in the league right now but for some reason I feel very confident he`ll be with us for some time.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
No chance. Skrtel was first choice with Lovren. That was Rodgers preference when Lovren came in
Not even back when we signed Sakho and Skrtel was being linked to a German club?
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2015, 01:31:38 pm »
Not even back when we signed Sakho and Skrtel was being linked to a German club?
We're talking about last summer though. Skrtel was out of the team towards the end of Rodgers' first season but he brought him back in again last season. Way before last summer, Skrtel was Rodgers' first choice. Then last summer for some reason people thought Lovren was coming into replace Skrtel when it should have been quite clear, as I've already said a page back, that he was coming in ahead of Sakho at LCB, with Sakho 'replacing' Agger as backup.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2015, 01:38:01 pm »
people thought Lovren was coming into replace Skrtel when it should have been quite clear, as I've already said a page back, that he was coming in ahead of Sakho at LCB, with Sakho 'replacing' Agger as backup.
It wasn`t clear as he was bringing in Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno all front-foot defenders and people thought he`ll round it up with a 4th defender of such ilk that is Sakho not Skrtel.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »
It wasn`t clear as he was bringing in Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno all front-foot defenders and people thought he`ll round it up with a 4th defender of such ilk that is Sakho not Skrtel.
Well it should have been clear that that wasn't the thinking. The fact he/the committee were buying Manquillo and Moreno was irrelevant. He wanted Lovren, who had almost exclusively played as a LCB throughout his career, to come into our side. He didn't rate Sakho as highly as most did and he also rated Skrtel higher than most did. Skrtel was his first choice as should have been obvious last season. Add to that the fact that Rodgers has never played an aggressive defence despite people insisting that he wanted a high line, has never really looked to play offside, as much as people went on about it and has clearly put little focus into coordinating the back line to push up and react to triggers in his whole time here. People called it, people said that Lovren was a LCB and was brought in to play there, so it wasn't like nobody was mentioning it. I was quite surprised at people's confusion when Rodgers started the season with Lovren and Skrtel. The writing was on the wall.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »
Several young players have been given loads of experience in the league and shown because there hasn't been a superstar blocking their path and (sadly) I think that is set to continue.
Think we need to add a 24 year old Suarez type.  Somebody on the cusp.

Otherwise we will not challenge for the league.  We'll do well but we won't be able to push further.

I don't see any side replicating the squad structure we have in the next 3 seasons or so.  We almost got it all.  Just need to add 2 or 3 of quality.  Sometimes that may even mean a good veteran signing like how Juventus have got a tune out of an ageing Tevez.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:33 pm »
Think we need to add a 24 year old Suarez type.  Somebody on the cusp.

Otherwise we will not challenge for the league.  We'll do well but we won't be able to push further.

I don't see any side replicating the squad structure we have in the next 3 seasons or so.  We almost got it all.  Just need to add 2 or 3 of quality.  Sometimes that may even mean a good veteran signing like how Juventus have got a tune out of an ageing Tevez.

I don't see us getting a potential superstar just on the brink. Every team will be after said player, and I doubt we'll have CL to offer them. It will be 20-22 year olds with huge potential but are very raw.
Anyway back to Sakho. Brilliantly player, vastly experienced despite his age.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »
You're dead right - I said the same thing to a friend while watching the game the other day. A few years back it was Lucas who was the litmus test for having a clue or not, now it's Sakho.
In many regards it's also Joe Allen. A lot o people are quick to complain about his lack of goals which is a very Football Manager way of looking at a midfielder like him without appreciating the little big things he does discretely.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20:14 pm »
I don't see us getting a potential superstar just on the brink. Every team will be after said player, and I doubt we'll have CL to offer them. It will be 20-22 year olds with huge potential but are very raw.
Anyway back to Sakho. Brilliantly player, vastly experienced despite his age.
Spot the irony?  ;)

This gives me hope. There are great players out there.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »
Barcelona paid more for Mathieu than we did for Sakho 😂 ;D

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »
Barcelona paid more for Mathieu than we did for Sakho 😂 ;D

They paid 15m for Vermaelen. He has yet to play a game for them because predicatably..he has been injured  ::) ;D

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »
And City paid 40M for Mangala  :o
It's not about who pays the most. We just have to be smarter than the others, and avoid the currently hottest players.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »
I thought as much at the time and said it on here as well (though you can't currently see my posts on Lovren from that time because the transfer forum's gone) - Lovren was not an upgrade on anybody else we had and he had too many errors in his game to be considered a good enough addition. Then we had that whole LCB argument between those insisting he was a LCB and those saying that he could easily slot in as a RCB, which, though it wasn't mentioned directly, was basically a debate over whether Lovren was going to partner Sakho or Skrtel. To me it was bleedingly obvious he was brought in to partner Skrtel but the general view was that he was a similar defender to Sakho and would slot in at RCB. Then people were confused for some reason when Rodgers started the season with Skrtel and Lovren rather than Sakho and Lovren.

Yep. Most on here thought on here it'd be Sakho and Lovren, which I found pretty bizarre, as Rodgers patently rates Skrtel; some people just couldn't get it through their heads that, you know, just because they don't rate Skrtel, doesn't mean Rodgers sees it that way. Even when Lovren started with Skrtel against Dortmund, I - and a few others - made a comment on how it was ridiculous that Sakho was now on the bench and Skrtel-Lovren were Rodgers's first choice pairing, people shouted abuse at me and said Sakho would come right in when the season started.  ;D

Anyway, it's good to see Rodgers has finally realized Sakho's quality and has put his ego in the bin. Fact is that the TC scouted Sakho and, surprise surprise, he proved to be a far better player than Rodgers's man, Lovren.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:41:50 pm by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:27 pm »

Rodgers rates Skrtel more than any of our other CBs. The club offered him a new contract. He might have wanted to move him on in summer 2013, but Skrtel, in Rodgers's opinion, turned it around and (im)proved his mentality. Just because we wanted to move him on two summers ago, doesn't mean that still remained the plan last summer. Agger had nothing to do with it, as Rodgers was willing to sell Agger, bench a £17m signing, and bring in his own man (for £20m) to pair with Skrtel.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:41:03 pm by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »
And City paid 40M for Mangala  :o
It's not about who pays the most. We just have to be smarter than the others, and avoid the currently hottest players.

I don't think it was that much - mooted figure was £32m.

Honestly, in terms of defenders, you don't need to spend outrageous fees, in my opinion. We've found plenty of diamonds in the rough that have proved to be very good for us - Hypia, Carra (academy), Skrtel, Agger - as have other clubs. As you said, you don't need to buy the shiny new toy; you just need to be a bit smarter than everyone else. You usually have to pay high fees for goalscorers, as goals show up on the highlights and the most basic stat sheets, whereas defending never gets the plaudits.

Though £17m is a high figure for a CB, Sakho proved to be a bargain when you consider the fees paid for CBs like Mangala and Lovren.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:19 pm »
Players are happy if they're playing, Sakho is patently first choice now and is happy, I imagine.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »
I think that was everyone's assumption. Freezing out a player of Sakho's obvious quality was a strange decision and I can only assume he was a comitee player rather than a Rodgers choice for him to have been treated so negatively.

I don't think Sakho has put a foot wrong since he joined to be honest. Probably made less mistakes than the likes of Kompany and Terry but he'll never get fair praise because genius ex-pro pundits think he looks funny when he runs.

Genius ex-managers discounted Henderson because of how he looks when he runs...

I agree. I liked his bravery with the ball and in the tackle fron early days. I was stunned when he was benched, but I had faith that Rodgers knew best what he wanted. Then when it became obvious how poorly Lovren was consistently playing and still got starts ahead of Sakho...I started to wonder if we had just enlarged the doghouse along with the squad.

I hope this whole comitee slagging by the same pundits stops too.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:41 pm »
I don't think it was that much - mooted figure was £32m.

Honestly, in terms of defenders, you don't need to spend outrageous fees, in my opinion. We've found plenty of diamonds in the rough that have proved to be very good for us - Hypia, Carra (academy), Skrtel, Agger - as have other clubs. As you said, you don't need to buy the shiny new toy; you just need to be a bit smarter than everyone else. You usually have to pay high fees for goalscorers, as goals show up on the highlights and the most basic stat sheets, whereas defending never gets the plaudits.

Though £17m is a high figure for a CB, Sakho proved to be a bargain when you consider the fees paid for CBs like Mangala and Lovren.
"You buy your attack but build your defense" comes to mind.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2015, 05:30:27 pm »

That's what made it doubly puzzling. Sakho is a Rodgers type player. Benching him, regardless of price tag or who bought him was puzzling just for that alone.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2015, 05:36:51 pm »
That's what made it doubly puzzling. Sakho is a Rodgers type player. Benching him, regardless of price tag or who bought him was puzzling just for that alone.

I think Rodgers had questions over his mentality and general quality. For instance, he was bigging up Lovren's "leadership" ability. Maybe because Sakho hadn't learned English, he couldn't be the coach on the field that Rodgers wanted? Let's not forget Rodgers bombed out Skrtel just so Carragher could be on the pitch yelling at people (and, well, Skrtel was regularly getting bullied that season). Rodgers wanted another Carragher and Lovren was supposed to be that. And because Skrtel had a statistically good season last year, Lovren was to be his partner.

But yeah, it's quite odd that Sakho's ball-playing ability and overall defensive quality were largely ignored. It might be too simplistic to argue this, but possibly because Sakho and Skrtel never worked last season - while I'm not sure the mix was ever right between the two (they have different tendencies), they got fuck all protection to be fair - Rodgers decided to not work with the pair of them and instead bought another player? And since Skrtel scored a few goals and Rodgers rates his mentality for sticking around, taking the criticism on board, and improving his game (in Rodgers's opinion), he was seen as the obvious guy to stay?

Anyway, last summer I said we never needed a new CB, just a better system/coaching, but it was largely accepted on this board and in the press that our defenders are shit and we need new ones.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:43:44 pm by Kopenhagen »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »
Can I just say how impressed I am with Sakho's commitment. Tevez arrived and 3 years later still didn't speak a word of english, Sakho been here under a year and has learnt to speak it.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »
Can I just say how impressed I am with Sakho's commitment. Tevez arrived and 3 years later still didn't speak a word of english, Sakho been here under a year and has learnt to speak it.

Tevez learned to play golf.
Seriously, with his new English he has to be considered captain material.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2015, 07:09:48 pm »
Isn't this "fact" that Sakho and Skrtel were shite as a pair of CBs vastly overstated? How many games have they actually played together - a handful? Always "protected" by Johnson and Gerrard too. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:56 pm »
Isn't this "fact" that Sakho and Skrtel were shite as a pair of CBs vastly overstated? How many games have they actually played together - a handful? Always "protected" by Johnson and Gerrard too. 

They seemed to play a lot of the run in last season i thought. Off the top of my head i remember Agger against Spurs so not sure how long after that Sakho came into it.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2015, 07:18:47 pm »
A lot of it has to do with the style of play. Our defence will look great once we have a sweeper keeper, a back four that is technically proficient and good enough at 1v1s for us to play a high line, with energetic pressing midfield 3.

Since Rodgers came we have played with compromised versions of his tactical ideas due to skillsets. If you put Skrtel and Sakho in a Benitez team they would probably make a great partnership, but in a Rodgers setup they need a sweeper keeper behind them, energetic and competent wing backs, proper energy in midfield - which has been on and off sonce Rodgers came due to personnel - and you need to then see how Sakho and Skrtel - Skrtel in particular - cope with playing a relatively high defensive line.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2015, 08:15:36 pm »
I get the impression he's a boss lad to have around the place. You often see him in pictures in training or with other players fooling around and joking and for all that seems a small thing, having a good atmosphere in the dressing room hurts nobody. That's without mentioning his charitable work he does around the city and with schools. The incident before the derby early in the season was unfortunate but like Stevie on the weekend he apologised swiftly and didn't let the situation drag on or cause more damage that it might have.

He's just turned 25, reads the game very well, is strong as a bull, great on the ball and his leadership qualities are finally shining through. A couple of parts of his game need improving but there is plenty of time for that. We've got a gem on our hands here.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2015, 01:43:26 am »
Anyone got a link to the big man speaking English?

Definitely captain material, however still think Henderson will get the job, with Skrtel being the VC. With the likes of Stevie and Johnson leaving, it's good to know we have leaders like Sahko who can attempt to fill the void.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2015, 02:11:33 am »

Sakho's been in Liverpool well over a year, must be about 20 months by now surely?

It's not the speed of his English speaking development that impresses me, but the fact that he is willing to give interviews despite his limited skills is very commendable. There are plenty who've been in the country longer and speak/understand English a lot better who still shy away from the microphone. It gives you an insight into his character and why he is such a great club man that we should make every effort to hold onto for the next decade.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:15 am »
Anyone got a link to the big man speaking English?

http://youtu.be/dc-yHewtRd0

Definitely captain material, however still think Henderson will get the job, with Skrtel being the VC. With the likes of Stevie and Johnson leaving, it's good to know we have leaders like Sahko who can attempt to fill the void.

If Skrtel isn't off, good chance this is the case.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:10 am »

Wow his English is miles better than last time (last season) I heard him speak. So calm and well-spoken, good to see.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:11 am »
much better than Adebayor's, who has been in England for years
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2015, 05:15:44 am »
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2015, 06:35:10 am »

Can't see him going, to be honest. Hadn't we opened contract talks with him?

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:44 am »
I particularly like the part where he says "french is useless" ;D ;D ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2015, 09:48:41 am »
henderson is surely down for skipper next season

skrtel has captained us at times so he will probably be vice captain but i wouldnt mind seeing sakho as VC
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
Sakho's been in Liverpool well over a year, must be about 20 months by now surely?

It's not the speed of his English speaking development that impresses me, but the fact that he is willing to give interviews despite his limited skills is very commendable. There are plenty who've been in the country longer and speak/understand English a lot better who still shy away from the microphone. It gives you an insight into his character and why he is such a great club man that we should make every effort to hold onto for the next decade.

Yup i'm an idiot ;)

Yup wasn't impressed with the speed, just his willingness to learn it. As apposed to someone live Tevez who never bothered.

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »
His playing well against Brazil, not at fault for there goal and bringing the ball forward well; of course ITV's commentator still being a prick, about one pass which his teammate couldn't control, its just so predictable

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2015, 09:06:16 pm »
Yup i'm an idiot ;)

Yup wasn't impressed with the speed, just his willingness to learn it. As apposed to someone live Tevez who never bothered.

Regarding the latter, does Coutinho speak any English? Think he has only spoken Portuguese in the ones I've seen with him. Probably an issue with shyness with him tho.