Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 696945 times)

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
Re: Liverpool Defence
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:25 am »
I hate to say it but to me the first mistake was coming from Sterling as he was covering space behind him without any need as there was Johnson behind and nobody running into it. He moved AWAY instead of going into a tackle and trying to prevent him from passing.

It was the FIRST mistake in a chain of mistakes, a collective dip in concentration.

Did you catch the first little moving of the ball to his right by Clyne that gets Sterling to back up and turn his body a bit? Clyne then executes the pass to Tadic and takes off on his run, pauses and then goes again.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
Personally I think their goal should be put down to an exceptional piece of skill by Tadic rather than anything we did wrong.

It was, but our two 'holding' midfielders who should he tracking those sort of runs both literally just watched it happen.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:37 am »
It was, but our two 'holding' midfielders who should he tracking those sort of runs both literally just watched it happen.

Hey, at least Lucas tracked the initial check run of Ward-Prowse pretty well and then released him to the watchful eye of Gerrard and the referee (check out the referee's quick run towards Tadic!!!! Nice one, M.C.!). That should count for something, no?

;D :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:11 am »
Did you catch the first little moving of the ball to his right by Clyne that gets Sterling to back up and turn his body a bit? Clyne then executes the pass to Tadic and takes off on his run, pauses and then goes again.

To me, this was a normal game situation where Sterling acts a little too passive considering the time and space any defending team should allow an attacking team on a pro level.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Libero

• Legacy Fan
  • Viva Liverpool
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2014, 11:46:34 am »

We need a settled back four, only then we'll get a proper assessment on the qualities of our defence.

It is very early in the season to see, especially with Moreno for to figure, as well as the right back tussle.

As a centre-back pairing, I'd still like to see Sakho and Lovren given a go, at some point, but it will be difficult to dislodge Skrtel for sure. Good ol' Martin seems to rise to the occasion whenever competition is added; lots of love and respect for that!

Sakho will get games of course, and he now knows what the expectations & demands of the EPL are;  The trouble is, at times (and only at times), it's a case of "built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" with him. 

I'm sure he'll come good, and we'll need quality in this area over a long long season that's for sure.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2014, 11:55:32 am »
I'm a Sakho man myself. Sakho over Skrtel, for the long run anyway. However, the team's gone through so many changes. So I think a settled defence would be fantastic for the team and if for a while, it's Skrtel and Lovren, that's fine by me. I also wonder whether Rodgers might pick cbs depending on their qualities, something which not many people do.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »
I think we have to accept there were multiple failings along the way

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:08 pm »
He's still a young manager who'll get better and learn from his mistakes. If you really think the bad defence was all down individual errors.. Well there's nothing more for me to add. 
As long as we have your experience to draw from to tell us where he's going wrong.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:12 pm »
For their goal, who should be 'marking' Clyne originally, if anyone, in this formation and with this personnel? Who should be marking their winger who's hugging the touchline?

Does Coutinho have any defensive duties at that phase? Should he have dropped to the level of Sterling, or does our 4231 in attack turn into a 442 or 4411 in defense once the opposition is in our half of the pitch?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:50 pm »
For their goal, who should be 'marking' Clyne originally, if anyone, in this formation and with this personnel? Who should be marking their winger who's hugging the touchline?

Does Coutinho have any defensive duties at that phase? Should he have dropped to the level of Sterling, or does our 4231 in attack turn into a 442 or 4411 in defense once the opposition is in our half of the pitch?

Don't we use Zonal marking? So I would assume if he runs into a players zone then that player should be marking him.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:51 pm »
For me I always thought one of our biggest issues last year was the fact that we never had the quality up top to come of the bench that could also press highly. We relied heavily on sterling phil Suarez and sturridge to press all game as the option to come on where aspas and Moses who simply wernt good enough.

Now Suarez could do that but the rest would struggle greatly. They could probably do it for 60mins which ties in with the fact we done quite well in the first 45mins of games,

Now that we have depth up there in lallana markovic lambert and possibly one more I really expect it to help our defence now. Also having can and allen fit to rotate with Henderson and Gerrard will help greatly.

Not to mention the players added to the defence

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »
Don't we use Zonal marking? So I would assume if he runs into a players zone then that player should be marking him.

Cool. So, whose 'zone' was Clyne in when he first received the ball, took two dribbles and executed the pass?

Thereafter, once he is on his run, he's clearly in Lucas's and then also Gerrard's 'zones'.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:43 pm »

Didn't seem that way when were defending corners last Sunday. I can remember Lovren having a man to mark.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:33 pm »
Didn't seem that way when were defending corners last Sunday. I can remember Lovren having a man to mark.

You can defend zonally in open play and man-mark on set pieces. They are considered different phases of the game with different "rules"
Better looking than Samie.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »
You can defend zonally in open play and man-mark on set pieces. They are considered different phases of the game with different "rules"

So, whose zone was Clyne in when he first got the ball, dribbled and then executed the pass to Tadic?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2014, 09:44:50 pm »
With zonal marking, it appears that the defending player has a dilemma when two (or more, I suppose) opposition players enter into his 'defensive zone', whether simultaneously or close succession, especially from different directions and moving in different directions.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:54 pm »
So, whose zone was Clyne in when he first got the ball, dribbled and then executed the pass to Tadic?

He was in Sterling's zone originally, who didn't put any pressure on the ball (going back to the list I mentioned earlier on why goals are scored). Once he passed Sterling, though, he became Lucas' man, and Lucas committed the cardinal sin of watching the ball go to Tadic and forgetting to look at the man running as well. Gerrard committed the cardinal sin of ball watching and not shifting across or dropping in. And Skrtel made the mistake of not shifting across the line 5 yards to balance out the defensive line (you could argue that he was doubling up with Manquillo, but there was no need).

Johnson's part was actually negligible. He split between covering Sterling and covering the possible outside pass, although it's questionable whether that should have been seen as much of a danger.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03:59 pm »
With zonal marking, it appears that the defending player has a dilemma when two (or more, I suppose) opposition players enter into his 'defensive zone', whether simultaneously or close succession, especially from different directions and moving in different directions.

That's the weakness of zonal defending. You can overload zones easily if you're prepared to break your own attacking shape. Thankfully, in English football, most British coaches are deathly terrified of breaking their shape. See Roy Hodgson for reference :D

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 11:05:25 pm »
That's the weakness of zonal defending. You can overload zones easily if you're prepared to break your own attacking shape. Thankfully, in English football, most British coaches are deathly terrified of breaking their shape. See Roy Hodgson for reference :D

Yes. His teams make 'pong' appear as an exciting, high-graphic intensity, multi-character video-game. ;D
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:15 pm »
He was in Sterling's zone originally, who didn't put any pressure on the ball (going back to the list I mentioned earlier on why goals are scored). Once he passed Sterling, though, he became Lucas' man, and Lucas committed the cardinal sin of watching the ball go to Tadic and forgetting to look at the man running as well. Gerrard committed the cardinal sin of ball watching and not shifting across or dropping in. And Skrtel made the mistake of not shifting across the line 5 yards to balance out the defensive line (you could argue that he was doubling up with Manquillo, but there was no need).

Johnson's part was actually negligible. He split between covering Sterling and covering the possible outside pass, although it's questionable whether that should have been seen as much of a danger.

Thanks, mate. I think I even got the underlying principle of assigning responsibilities (and thus recognizing failings). Imagine that!  :wave

Ludi Circenses!

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:50 am »
Thank you guys, this is very educational.  I enjoy football much more when I understand what is happening (or what should be happening ;-)

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2014, 10:39:27 am »
some one should post Carra's MNF analysis of the goals. In the end its bad defending all around but Skrtel is responsible for big space that clyne is allowed to run into.

Look at the video. It seems like fairly basic defensive positional awareness.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:56 pm »
some one should post Carra's MNF analysis of the goals. In the end its bad defending all around but Skrtel is responsible for big space that clyne is allowed to run into.

Look at the video. It seems like fairly basic defensive positional awareness.

And who was responsible for allowing Clyne to run into the space unheeded?

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2014, 07:06:12 pm »
And who was responsible for allowing Clyne to run into the space unheeded?

Lucas Leiva (98%) + Steven Gerrard (2%).  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:44 pm »
Lucas Leiva (98%) + Steven Gerrard (2%).  :wave

I'd go 80% Lucas, 10% Gerrard, 10% Sterling :D

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool Defence
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
I'd be interested in Carra take. He's always going to look at it from a CB's point of view I suppose. To borrow a basketball term I'd have thought Skrtel's mistake was indirect in that he should have provided "help" defence. A top CB should have come across earlier but it wasn't his primary job.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
I'd be interested in Carra take.

Meh
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:27 pm »
I'd be interested in Carra take. He's always going to look at it from a CB's point of view I suppose. To borrow a basketball term I'd have thought Skrtel's mistake was indirect in that he should have provided "help" defence. A top CB should have come across earlier but it wasn't his primary job.

By zonal defending principles, he should have shifted across with Lovren to create balance. But it was the lesser of all the mistakes that were made, in magnitude. A free run is a free run, and it's as bad as a free header. We concede a lot of goals because runners from midfield aren't picked up. Thinking about this last game and reading Surfer's posts, I am inclined to now agree that there's a systemic problem, and I think the problem is that Rodgers thinks of defending in purely zonal terms in open play. I think he relies on the defenders making good 1v1 decisions, but probably doesn't take into account the blurred lines between a player moving from one zone into another. That's where we get broken down nowadays.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
I'd go 80% Lucas, 10% Gerrard, 10% Sterling :D

Well, one cannot be too lenient towards one's own bias (in my case, I mean).

Glad I erred on the side of according TOO MUCH culpability to Lucas.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »
No way can Skrtel be across there in time. If he is for me he's in a bad starting position that could leave another area exposed.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »
No way can Skrtel be across there in time. If he is for me he's in a bad starting position that could leave another area exposed.

He should have been 5 yards closer to Lovren, moving as Lovren was moving to Tadic. By not being there, we lacked balance in defence

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
He should have been 5 yards closer to Lovren, moving as Lovren was moving to Tadic. By not being there, we lacked balance in defence
Yes but don't think he can get across to Clyne who smashes it first time anyway.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »
Yes but don't think he can get across to Clyne who smashes it first time anyway.

Oh he couldn't have got across to Clyne from where he actually was. But if he was in the right spot in the first place, he might have made Clyne think twice about shooting first time

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2014, 10:44:31 pm »
Oh he couldn't have got across to Clyne from where he actually was. But if he was in the right spot in the first place, he might have made Clyne think twice about shooting first time
Yes maybe but the way it worked out I doubt Bobby Moore could have read that and really got there.

I agree that our defenders don't take their position off another defender enough and close gaps (the Gayle goal causes nightmares still) and the hope is that Lovren taking good positions can begin to influence this. I think the keeper needs to take more control too.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »
Yes maybe but the way it worked out I doubt Bobby Moore could have read that and really got there.

I agree that our defenders don't take their position off another defender enough and close gaps (the Gayle goal causes nightmares still) and the hope is that Lovren taking good positions can begin to influence this. I think the keeper needs to take more control too.

Well it didn't cause me any nightmares anymore until you just reminded me :D

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:06 pm »
Well it didn't cause me any nightmares anymore until you just reminded me :D
That goal is the worry with the likes of Johnson/Skrtel still in the back 4. They are fine in control but when you come under pressure and have to react to flick ons and knock downs it's about being in good positions early and not just throwing your hands up and pointing at someone else.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2014, 11:53:33 pm »

He probably thought that Manquillo might become in greater need of quick assistance whilst guarding Pelle' than Lovren who was marking Tadic 'posting up'.

Clearly, the Clyne full run was not anticipated by anyone (especially Lucas primarily, then Gerrard).

Given that you had diagrammed that run as a possible play to be run by Southampton in the pre-match thread, one wonders what happened.

My guess is that Lucas was still winded from having had to 'cover' for Lovren and attempt to track the speedy Ward-Prowse and block his horizontal pass/cross (which he actually didn't) in the preceding play that resulted in the throw-in that began the play that resulted in SFC's goal. He went into 'energy conservation', I'll use my nous to cover the passing angle from Tadic to Clyne, mode. Which, of course, he did. Until he realized that he hadn't anticipated THAT kind of pass from Tadic. No one else did, either.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2014, 12:00:52 am »
He probably thought that Manquillo might become in greater need of quick assistance whilst guarding Pelle' than Lovren who was marking Tadic 'posting up'.

Clearly, the Clyne full run was not anticipated by anyone (especially Lucas primarily, then Gerrard).

Given that you had diagrammed that run as a possible play to be run by Southampton in the pre-match thread, one wonders what happened.

My guess is that Lucas was still winded from having had to 'cover' for Lovren and attempt to track the speedy Ward-Prowse and block his horizontal pass/cross (which he actually didn't) in the preceding play that resulted in the throw-in that began the play that resulted in SFC's goal. He went into 'energy conservation', I'll use my nous to cover the passing angle from Tadic to Clyne, mode. Which, of course, he did. Until he realized that he hadn't anticipated THAT kind of pass from Tadic. No one else did, either.

You're reaching now :D

He turned and faced the ball, and turned his back on the man. That was the mistake. Not failing to anticipate the backheel. The backheel is pointless without the run. First rule of penetration combinations - the run dictates the pass. It was just a silly mistake from Lucas to turn and watch the ball and not split his vision between the ball and Clyne. By the time he figured it out, it was too late. Simple mistakes, major consequences - much like most goals conceded.

The main points are - will those players make those same mistakes again?

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2014, 02:27:33 am »
You're reaching now :D

He turned and faced the ball, and turned his back on the man. That was the mistake. Not failing to anticipate the backheel. The backheel is pointless without the run. First rule of penetration combinations - the run dictates the pass. It was just a silly mistake from Lucas to turn and watch the ball and not split his vision between the ball and Clyne. By the time he figured it out, it was too late. Simple mistakes, major consequences - much like most goals conceded.

The main points are - will those players make those same mistakes again?

Reaching or not (in this particular case), I can attest to the negative cognitive and concentration effects of being in oxygen debt, as I am sure you could (as well) with, in addition, the published literature to back it up

NO back-heel magic pass, no goal. Clyne waits/pauses for it to be executed before he takes off. If the magic pass is prevented, blocked or deflected, the run, the shot or both do not take place. The completion of Clyne's run is pointless without the backheel pass being executed and around Lovren (who's as surprised as everyone else, as clearly seen by his facial reaction when he realizes it after the fact). If the pass isn't executed or if Lovren blocks it, Clyne could have completed the run anyway with no effect whatsoever on us (save his being out of position and deep into our defensive third while we started a possible counter-attack).

Same penetrating pass by Tadic in the early 72nd minute, after having turned and faced Lovren. Possible recipients Ward-Prowse, who's not tracked at all by Gerrard, and Clyne, who's tracked by Johnson (having first run right in front him, no need for Johnson to do swivel-heads and the rest of it).

I'll add the URLs for the pictures here:

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502957283215540224/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502957953033318402/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502958733492617217/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/501260860656865281/photo/1

and

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/501261596904017921/photo/1

Just because they didn't score, doesn't mean it wasn't as grave an error by Gerrard to let Ward-Prowse walz right into the area, nor of Lovren to allow Tadic to 'get turned' and deliver the pass.

It's Lucas (and Johnson) who are being excoriated by the various podcasts, who are being called negative names, etc. And this after a win!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:29:48 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2014, 02:38:13 am »
Reaching or not (in this particular case), I can attest to the negative cognitive and concentration effects of being in oxygen debt, as I am sure you could (as well) with, in addition, the published literature to back it up

NO back-heel magic pass, no goal. Clyne waits/pauses for it to be executed before he takes off. If the magic pass is prevented, blocked or deflected, the run, the shot or both do not take place. The completion of Clyne's run is pointless without the backheel pass being executed and around Lovren (who's as surprised as everyone else, as clearly seen by his facial reaction when he realizes it after the fact). If the pass isn't executed or if Lovren blocks it, Clyne could have completed the run anyway with no effect whatsoever on us (save his being out of position and deep into our defensive third while we started a possible counter-attack).

Same penetrating pass by Tadic in the early 72nd minute, after having turned and faced Lovren. Possible recipients Ward-Prowse, who's not tracked at all by Gerrard, and Clyne, who's tracked by Johnson (having first run right in front him, no need for Johnson to do swivel-heads and the rest of it).

I'll add the URLs for the pictures here:

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502957283215540224/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502957953033318402/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/502958733492617217/photo/1

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/501260860656865281/photo/1

and

https://twitter.com/GrkStav/status/501261596904017921/photo/1

Just because they didn't score, doesn't mean it wasn't as grave an error by Gerrard to let Ward-Prowse walz right into the area, nor of Lovren to allow Tadic to 'get turned' and deliver the pass.

It's Lucas (and Johnson) who are being excoriated by the various podcasts, who are being called negative names, etc. And this after a win!

No run, no back heel pass :)