Author Topic: Steve Peters joins the back room team  (Read 130330 times)

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steve Peters joins the back room team
« Reply #840 on: November 24, 2014, 03:13:44 am »
If you honestly think Peters is to blame for our slump, then you can't be at all familiar with his work. We're just awful.

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: March 22, 2015, 03:32:35 pm »
Hate to bring up an old thread, but we could have done with him having a talk with the team today.

The first half performance, the united Red card. If anyone has read his book - the Inner Chimp and how to control your emotions in that split second - then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Mentally we looked shot from the first minute. We looked so nervous going into the game, and it showed all over the pitch. And When Gerrard came on... He didn't control that inner chimp.

How do we prepare ourselves for these big tests - Chelsea last year, United this year? It just seems we can't keep our cool.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #842 on: March 23, 2015, 05:38:48 pm »
Hate to bring up an old thread, but we could have done with him having a talk with the team today.

The first half performance, the united Red card. If anyone has read his book - the Inner Chimp and how to control your emotions in that split second - then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Mentally we looked shot from the first minute. We looked so nervous going into the game, and it showed all over the pitch. And When Gerrard came on... He didn't control that inner chimp.

How do we prepare ourselves for these big tests - Chelsea last year, United this year? It just seems we can't keep our cool.

If our players weren't nervous I would be worried, relaxation is the key, our players should be fit now, so no need to have them training and worrying, they should be having loads of fun, Golf , Five asides on the beach at Blackpool or Southport, I would prefer La Manga, it has everything for footballers.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #843 on: March 23, 2015, 05:45:42 pm »
If our players weren't nervous I would be worried, relaxation is the key, our players should be fit now, so no need to have them training and worrying, they should be having loads of fun, Golf , Five asides on the beach at Blackpool or Southport, I would prefer La Manga, it has everything for footballers.

Didn't Shanks used to play practical jokes and do little skits with the players before big games to stop them being nervous? I don't think Rodgers is 100% a serious man, but I would wonder whether he's the kind of manager who knows how to put players completely at ease before a big game. Players will pick up on any nervousness the manager has, so if Rodgers can't put himself at ease, maybe it's transferring to the players sometimes.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline jfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #844 on: March 23, 2015, 05:49:54 pm »
Didn't Shanks used to play practical jokes and do little skits with the players before big games to stop them being nervous? I don't think Rodgers is 100% a serious man, but I would wonder whether he's the kind of manager who knows how to put players completely at ease before a big game. Players will pick up on any nervousness the manager has, so if Rodgers can't put himself at ease, maybe it's transferring to the players sometimes.

Don't really think that's true.  Last year we beat city in a crunch game also and we don't fare badly at all against the top sides,  yesterday seemed more tactical than anything else

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: March 23, 2015, 05:58:38 pm »
Don't really think that's true.  Last year we beat city in a crunch game also and we don't fare badly at all against the top sides,  yesterday seemed more tactical than anything else

First bolded point - you can take any single game to try to disprove a point, but we need to look at the trend, which leads to the next bolded part. We actually don't have a great record against the top sides under Rodgers. To date, we've only beaten Arsenal once, City twice, and United twice. We haven't beaten Chelsea at all, we lose or draw to Arsenal apart from the 5-1, and we lost every game against United when they had a competent manager.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #846 on: March 23, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »
The man turned into a celebrity last season, now things are a little different he's nowhere to be found.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #847 on: March 23, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »
We've actually got a decent record against top sides this season.  I'll steal Jack Slater's mini-table as of 3/16 which doesn't include last weekend's matches:

Top 7 Mini Table
1.  LIV Pld 9, Pts 16, PPG 1.78
2.  MCI  9,  15,  1.67
3.  MUN  8,  14,  1.75
4.  CHE  9,  14,  1.56
5.  TOT  10,  11,  1.10
6.  ARS  9,  9,  1.00
7.  SOT  10,  8,  0.80

Adding in MUN's victory over us, their line should now read "1.  MUN 9, 17, 1.89"

Here's a top 7 mini-table I googled up for last season.  It's not the final one, but it's pretty close to the end:

We didn't do too badly.

But if we narrow the mini table to us against the Top 4 sides?  Not sure what it'll look like, but it shouldn't be too hard to put together.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #848 on: March 23, 2015, 06:48:38 pm »
First bolded point - you can take any single game to try to disprove a point, but we need to look at the trend, which leads to the next bolded part. We actually don't have a great record against the top sides under Rodgers. To date, we've only beaten Arsenal once, City twice, and United twice. We haven't beaten Chelsea at all, we lose or draw to Arsenal apart from the 5-1, and we lost every game against United when they had a competent manager.

Might explain why we struggle so much in cup competitions too.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: March 23, 2015, 06:50:25 pm »
I think we've done badly going into games against the top teams where we are the favourite. After smashing Arsenal 5-1 last season we lost poorly to them a week later, then against City we were the underdogs, won again but against Chelsea we were nervous. Same again this season, as soon as we need to take that last step we get edgy. Could be the players or the manager.

Not much use in coaching Gerrard now but you'd think he'd learn after last season when he lost his head in a different way against Chelsea.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:58 pm »
I think we've done badly going into games against the top teams where we are the favourite. After smashing Arsenal 5-1 last season we lost poorly to them a week later, then against City we were the underdogs, won again but against Chelsea we were nervous. Same again this season, as soon as we need to take that last step we get edgy. Could be the players or the manager.

Not much use in coaching Gerrard now but you'd think he'd learn after last season when he lost his head in a different way against Chelsea.

The manager sets the tone though. It gets mocked as a cliche, but a a good man-manager can be worth their weight in gold in situations like that. It's one reason why managers with storied playing careers have an advantage against those who don't - it doesn't make them better than those with lesser playing careers, but in a crunch game, it gives them the authority to say "look, I've been here before, you lads have nothing to worry about, you've done all you can, just go and enjoy the game", and the players would take heed of it. If you haven't got that authority though, it's harder to tell players how it feels, and you have to come up with new ways to take the edge off. At a push, I would say that Rodgers hasn't figured out how to do that, and probably won't until he wins his first major trophy. After that, it becomes easier to tell players (young players at least) how to relax, because they'll listen to you. The Gerard Houllier who took us to 5 trophies in a calendar year would maybe not have been so successful if he hadn't won the league with PSG 15 years earlier, or the UEFA U18 Championship after that. With that, he had the experience to say "Do it this way, because this way works". Rodgers can't bring that experience to the table, until he has won his first major trophy.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #851 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »

That's a bit harsh on the chosen one.

He's a winner you know?
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

royhendo

« Reply #852 on: March 23, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »
The man turned into a celebrity last season, now things are a little different he's nowhere to be found.

It's a strange comment, this. He's taken an opportunity to promote his pre-existing book and build his consultancy business around it, but the drive for publicity of him himself came from the media. He's proven as effective. We fought to the last minute of that game the other day - it was the captain who lost the rag. Peters is doing a good job. 

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #853 on: September 4, 2015, 11:55:37 pm »
Bump

Just wondering whether this guy is still involved in the set up. I haven't heard anything about him in ages.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #854 on: September 5, 2015, 01:37:59 am »
Bump

Just wondering whether this guy is still involved in the set up. I haven't heard anything about him in ages.

If he is, he's a magnificent waste of money

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #855 on: September 5, 2015, 03:12:58 am »

:lmao

He can only make people believe in their own ability. He can't win the matches for us himself.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: September 5, 2015, 04:22:01 am »
Bump

Probably loaned out, like so many others ;-)
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: September 5, 2015, 04:34:32 am »
Every top tier club has someone (usually a small department) for this side of the game these days, it's the kind of thing that gets played up when we're winning. To be fair, almost everything gets played up when we're on a winning run, it's a load of garbage. It's the same in all lines of work.

Remember reading Ledley King's autobiography some time back and when he was talking about Hoddle's management, there was a guy called John Syer - John 'The Head' - whose job was the same, prep them mentally, try to gain that extra few percent, they were already trying things like group visualisation, yoga, one on one counselling sessions even back then. Hoddle was one of the English game's more progressive coaches, bit of a shame how his management career panned out at the end.

For all we know, Peters could still be brought in, do a good job, if the players lack quality or the manager asks ill suited work from his players, we'll still do poorly.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2015, 04:36:55 am by surfer »

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: September 5, 2015, 09:59:07 am »

How much money is he getting ? Must be a lot to make it a magnificent waste...

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #859 on: October 25, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »
What happened to this fella?

He was the second coming of Einstein when he joined. Is he still at the club?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »
What happened to this fella?

He was the second coming of Einstein when he joined. Is he still at the club?

Think he works for England now.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: October 25, 2015, 10:25:05 pm »
Think he works for England now.

Where all our great minds go......

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: October 26, 2015, 01:47:03 am »
Was recently hearing first-hand the views of some respectable NHS consultant psychiatrists who Peters gave a presentation to.

Seems he has little evidence to back up that any of his techniques work, and is more interested in selling his book and name dropping.  The audience was unimpressed.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #863 on: October 26, 2015, 09:53:29 am »
Unsure about the percentage of our current squad that were actually exposed to Peters and his teachings but they're hardly a ringing endorsement of them.

Barely even seen a team with less mental stability than ours. Been like this for a looooooong time now too.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: October 27, 2015, 12:10:13 am »
I thought he left during the summer after we finished 2nd?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Arrowsmith

• Anny Roader
  • Eee aye addio, we've won the cup!
« Reply #865 on: October 27, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »

We could do with employing more people who can fix legs, not minds.
Wool by birth, Scouse by blood.
JFT97

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #866 on: October 27, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »
Makes me wonder how much he was actually responsible for our improved mentality in 13/14, and how much of that was just natural momentum. Obviously Suarez and Gerrard provided a big boost in the overall winning mentality, but a lot of the players have looked very nervous ever since that Chelsea game to be honest

Even when we had that great run of form in the middle of last season, we didn't look particularly assured in our ability to find a way to win imo

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #867 on: February 9, 2016, 05:59:06 am »
Was thinking about Peters in response to a comment on TAW about Mignolet deliberately positioning the wall so to invite the shot from Johnson in the Sunderland game. That he missed the shot he theoretically invited is intriguing because from his positioning, it seemed harder to let the shot go in than to palm it around the post. Anyway, in it did go.

My point links Lovrens recent resurgence with mignolets plight. Lovren is a good footballer. Except when he's so full of confidence that he's doing stepovers in the centre circle. Then he's a shit footballer. His recent upturn and favour have seen him doing more of the si,mple things well. Yes, he still can't track a ball too well and jumps under regularly, but even that could be put down to his confidence that he'd get the ball. So, overconfident Lovren = bad. Play the basics Lovren = good.

Over to Mignolet. Barring flapping at crosses, he backs himself. He does two Cruyff turns per match. He is a GREAT shot stopper who isn't stopping shots - we've all seen the stats on percentage first chances scored against us.
Question - could he be too confident? If he got back to basics could we have a good goalkeeper on our hands again?

Dr Steve Peters have you done your job too well?

Where are you?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #868 on: February 9, 2016, 06:01:55 am »
Mignolet looks anything but confident to me mate. He is really struggling. I think he must have an idea that the majority of the fan base want to see the back of him as well. Which wont help things.

I don't think Steve Peters works for the club anymore by the way. If he does, whatever he is doing isn't working.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2016, 06:03:44 am by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #869 on: February 9, 2016, 06:02:14 am »
Was thinking about Peters in response to a comment on TAW about Mignolet deliberately positioning the wall so to invite the shot from Johnson in the Sunderland game. That he missed the shot he theoretically invited is intriguing because from his positioning, it seemed harder to let the shot go in than to palm it around the post. Anyway, in it did go.

My point links Lovrens recent resurgence with mignolets plight. Lovren is a good footballer. Except when he's so full of confidence that he's doing stepovers in the centre circle. Then he's a shit footballer. His recent upturn and favour have seen him doing more of the si,mple things well. Yes, he still can't track a ball too well and jumps under regularly, but even that could be put down to his confidence that he'd get the ball. So, overconfident Lovren = bad. Play the basics Lovren = good.

Over to Mignolet. Barring flapping at crosses, he backs himself. He does two Cruyff turns per match. He is a GREAT shot stopper who isn't stopping shots - we've all seen the stats on percentage first chances scored against us.
Question - could he be too confident? If he got back to basics could we have a good goalkeeper on our hands again?

Dr Steve Peters have you done your job too well?

Where are you?

You make some very good points regarding Lovren but I don't agree with the points about Mignolet. I can't say your right or wrong, I agree and I don't I can't explain it. Maybe I'm just still half asleep. :D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #870 on: February 9, 2016, 08:14:18 am »
Is he still on the books since Klopp came in?

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: February 9, 2016, 08:42:21 am »

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: February 9, 2016, 09:48:10 am »
Mignolet seems shot if confidence and a lot of the stuff he is doing is bravado more than confidence. The wall positioning the other day was horrendous. It was at least 2 foot too far the wrong way and he then left too big of a gap to where he was. If he sets that wall up right The goal is not scored. The goal is not scored we win the game, simple as that. Once the goal went in our confidence dropped and their confidence soared. This shows the fragility of the group. I've no great belief in sports psychologists though from personal experience.  With Mignolet for instance it's pretty basic stuff and I honestly don't see a future for him at the club. He is a level below what is needed to push on
« Last Edit: February 9, 2016, 09:50:18 am by an fear dearg »

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #873 on: February 9, 2016, 11:09:44 am »
Is he still on the books since Klopp came in?

we need him back. for all Klopps man management skills.. Dr Peters did wonders....

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: February 9, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
Mignolet seems shot if confidence and a lot of the stuff he is doing is bravado more than confidence. The wall positioning the other day was horrendous. It was at least 2 foot too far the wrong way and he then left too big of a gap to where he was. If he sets that wall up right The goal is not scored. The goal is not scored we win the game, simple as that. Once the goal went in our confidence dropped and their confidence soared. This shows the fragility of the group. I've no great belief in sports psychologists though from personal experience.  With Mignolet for instance it's pretty basic stuff and I honestly don't see a future for him at the club. He is a level below what is needed to push on

The person who opted for Mignolet instead of Begovic needs to get fired.