Author Topic: The addiction of gambling  (Read 25210 times)

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
The addiction of gambling
« on: February 4, 2011, 11:25:18 pm »
My name is Dave and I am a compulsive gambler.

It started with the slottys, worked my way up to £1 placepots, £1 first goalscorer, £2 accumulator.......

University came and went.

Bigger stakes - different sports.

Credit cards, loans, on top of a mortgage and an innocent wife who trusted me. Me - a liar.

Found out in 2008 - I will give up. 8 months passes and one quid in a bandit. Fast forward 3 years nearly and more debt, loans and a 36 year old bloke living with his parents (marriage on rocks regardless - but now no hope)

Went to GA this week and will go for the rest of my time. I encourage anyone out there who is beyond their means to stop and think. pm me or just google GA. My life will change but what a shitty time till then. Cheers for listening guys and come forward if you wanna talk.

The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The addiction of gambling
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »
Fair play to you for doing something about it. I know a few lads who are bad with gambling, luckily most not in your position, live at home so whatever money they squander doesn't really matter.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »
Well Dave, at least you have accepted what it's done to you and though it sounds like a cliche; accepting you have a problem is the first step on a long road.

Good luck and be strong.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2011, 12:15:55 am »
As has been said, well in for admitting you have a problem.

My cousin, and best mate went on a bit of a gambling rampage, mostly on the slots. Has banned himself from the bookies. One friday he got his pay packet, 340, walked into the bookies across the road and spent 300 quid within the hour.

Banned himself not long after that. He also blew about 2k on Internet betting, all that in about 4 days.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2011, 12:33:32 am »
Good luck, just take each day as it comes and consider each day you don't gamble as something really positive and you will get there.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2011, 12:34:00 am »
I've a cousin addicted.  He's blown the heap.  Sold the house a few yrs ago after the marriage ended because of his addiction.  Gambled his half in 6 months.  You only hear from him on the odd ocassion he wins, like say once every month or two.  But he never shouts about his daily losses.  Hope you manage to get away from it.  It is possible.  Father in law was a big addict for much of his life, but hasn't gambled really in about 15 yrs.  Yep, cost him his marriage as well before he stopped.  Good luck.

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2011, 03:50:35 am »
The alcohol issues thread is 57 pages long, I reckon it might do you good to have a read through that in full and substitute all references to drinking to gambling. There are people in that thread that have come back from life threatening situations and are now making real goes of their lives. You can do the same. It's a cliche but you really have made the hardest step by accepting that you have a problem. From now on it is a battle, perhaps even an uphill battle, to beat that problem. But from now on hopefully you will never be in denial and even if you have set-backs, you can always cling on to the fact that you are aiming towards recovery.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2011, 07:55:59 am »
The alcohol issues thread is 57 pages long, I reckon it might do you good to have a read through that in full and substitute all references to drinking to gambling. There are people in that thread that have come back from life threatening situations and are now making real goes of their lives. You can do the same. It's a cliche but you really have made the hardest step by accepting that you have a problem. From now on it is a battle, perhaps even an uphill battle, to beat that problem. But from now on hopefully you will never be in denial and even if you have set-backs, you can always cling on to the fact that you are aiming towards recovery.

Thanks. And to all you for your kind words. Would love to see this thread 57 pages long one day. I feel I have alot to give and alot of advice in me - it would make me feel really worthwhile if I could just help one person on here. But first me I suppose - one day at a time...

I have dipped in and out of the Alcohol thread - some harrowing and uplifting stories in there. I just think it is easier to spot an alcoholic rather than a gambler. I hid my addiction for years, kept my job and my family. I know there will be thousands of people out there who think they dont have a problem but do.
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline dioufythebrave

• but Dim.
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2011, 09:33:47 am »
the amount of people with this problem around the country is staggering, iv been around gambling(mind you controlled gambling) all my life with my own family, but step foot inside a bookies, and it doesn't take long to notice an addict.
well done for doing this , i really hope it makes any other gambling addicts think about themselves after reading this and have the courage to stop like you.
if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best

I'll make two predictions of this...Carroll won't score 3 PL goals total for the rest of the year and we won't score 5 against any team all year.  We might still get CL football without either happening.

Offline lfcgeez

• aaaah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • sweet as
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2011, 10:21:52 am »
Dave, your 'my life is in pieces' thread massively helped me recently as you may have seen.. Huge thanks for that.

All I can say is be strong.. and talk, talk, talk. The 'problem shared' cliché is used a hell of a lot but there's no better way of dealing with things than putting it all out there and asking for help.

We're all here for you mate. Good Luck.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in" - Bill Shankly

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
good luck mate. its good you know you have a problem. an addiction is a fucker to deal with but its a great step you have taken.

All the best Dave.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

It started with the slottys, worked my way up to £1 placepots, £1 first goalscorer, £2 accumulator.......

University came and went.

Bigger stakes - different sports.

Credit cards, loans, on top of a mortgage and an innocent wife who trusted me. Me - a liar.

Found out in 2008 - I will give up. 8 months passes and one quid in a bandit. Fast forward 3 years nearly and more debt, loans and a 36 year old bloke living with his parents (marriage on rocks regardless - but now no hope)

Went to GA this week and will go for the rest of my time. I encourage anyone out there who is beyond their means to stop and think. pm me or just google GA. My life will change but what a shitty time till then. Cheers for listening guys and come forward if you wanna talk.

Good luck Dave.

It takes a Hell of a lot of courage to admit to a problem and the fact you have taken the steps you have says a lot about you.

Good luck in the future
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline smarties

• the have only answer
  • Main Stander
  • The King is "ALIVE" long live the King!
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
Not wanting to go into details here I have been there done that. Spent literally thousands and thousands on machines and horses. The missus found out (long story). I had hid it well for years, it caught up with me. When she found out she said quite simply that she knew something was wrong. She was pleased it wasnt another woman as she suspected she told me. I was just out too much and too secretive, not that I had noticed that. Anyway she said had it been another woman we were as good as over. We could however get through the debts if I promised not to gamble again  :-X  god I felt bad. That was over 10 years ago and we have our 25th anniversary this year  :wave  You know its just as simple as accepting you have been a knobhead and getting on with life and it sounds like you have done that. Good luck mate.
The King is "ALIVE" long live the King!

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2011, 05:53:47 pm »
hope you can make a full recovery.

I'm not allowed to gamble as i have an addictive personality, its why i dont smoke, do drugs, or drink on a regular basis.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »
As mentioned above, once you realise you have a problem with it then you are on the road to sorting it out. I used to gamble, again it didnt start off with much (in fact I got 3 £100 free bets from the Guardian photoshop competition) but once those ran out I started putting my own money in and before I knew it was losing more than I would have liked. Luckily never got to the stage where I was losing more than I could afford so I kept telling myself that I was alright. Eventually I realised that there was no end to it (whenever I won, I got excited and couldnt wait until the next bet; whenever I lost I couldnt wait to make up for losing the last one). I realised that over the long run I was several hundred down and that it was time to quit.

I'll still do things like playing poker with the guys at work once in a while for a £10 buy in, or a work footy tipping for the world cup or something, but aside from those types of thing my gambling days are over.

Best of luck with it and do keep this thread going with updates, the alcohol thread has been nothing short of amazing in terms of the turnaround its given a few of the guys on here, hopefully this thread will give you strength if you are tempted to have a flutter.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »
Well done Dave,youre half way there admitting the problem and doing something positive about it.
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2011, 03:22:10 pm »
I opened an internet account with WH a few years ago. Put 100 quid in and told myself I would jack it in when I lost it. Needless to say once that was gone I put more in. I actually did all right for a while and a year on I was probably up by a couple of hundred. Then I lost and lost and lost. Went on for fucking months, couldn't even get a double in. My bank statements were testament to this, 70 or 80 quid a month being lost which isn't a great deal to some but it was money we couldn't really afford to lose with both being on relatively low incomes.
 At New Year I finally threw my hand in and to be honest I haven't really missed it. Reckon over the last 3 years I've lost about £1200 which like I say isn't a massive amount and it's something I did enjoy but I just got sick of losing. My Mrs has probably lost more on the lottery over the years but I was losing a tenner trying to win a tenner rather than a few million.
 And it's not just money I lost, it was time as well. I'd spend hours on flash scores only for a last minute goal in Mexico to fuck my bet up. Funny how those last minute goals hardly ever go for you. Tennis was another favourite to bet on. Hours spent on tennis sites following matches point by point, only for someone like Roddick to lose to some fucking no-mark ranked 200 in the world in a tournament he probably couldn't have cared less about.
 Not saying I'll never bet again but what I'll try and do is wait for World Cup's etc, bet on group stages instead of individual matches so the bet is going for longer rather than chasing money.
 Anyway, good luck to anybody trying to quit. I know it's hard - you don't see many poor bookies.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »
I just think it is easier to spot an alcoholic rather than a gambler.

i beg to differ. the only ppl who knew i was an  alcoholic were those close to me. i hid it from the masses as it were. and i probably hid the worst of it from everyone. its not easy to spot an addict as they usually hide it. thats just my view lads.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »
Well done for doing something about it and hopefully being around people who have been in familiar positions to yourself will help you overcome the addiction. It sounds like your wife has stuck with you through thick and thin so focus your attention all on her and your support group because you will progress forward and you'll feel much better for it. I hope all goes well and you can get your life back on track for the second time. Don't let yourself down again as you could lose more than just your money. Good luck mate and keep us all updated as your problem may benefit other people on here who could be in a similar position.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2011, 09:54:06 pm »
Thank you everyone  :wave

This time last week I was thinking not nice thoughts. I had no-one to help me only because nobody really knew.

A week on I still have no-one (to hold) but I do have people that know (and care).

YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2011, 09:57:08 pm »
i beg to differ. the only ppl who knew i was an  alcoholic were those close to me. i hid it from the masses as it were. and i probably hid the worst of it from everyone. its not easy to spot an addict as they usually hide it. thats just my view lads.

Fair play mate - I dont know I am just trying to put sense round it all. I didnt mean to belittle your plight.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »
Going to GA is the first step in putting your life back on the rails. It takes a huge amount of courage to publicly admit what you've admitted. Your bravery and your willingness to go public is a sign that, whilst it will be a long road and there may be ups and downs, you can and will beat this addiction.

It may or may not mean anything to you, but I'll be praying for you and your situation.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2011, 10:26:21 pm »
My older brother got addicted to gambling on the slots. First we found out about it was when the local paper that he used to deliver for knocked on the door and asked for 6 months worth of paper money - money we didn't have. He robbed loads of money from my mother's purse; he stole her towels and flogged them and even stole some of her valuable Elvis Presley records and flogged them for just a few quid. He would make up bogus sponsor forms and collect the money before throwing it all away in the slots. He would try and nick stuff of mine too in order to fund his addiction....

Not sure what he's like now as we don't speak but it was fucking awful growing up with a compulsive thief and liar....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:47 am »
Just want to off load some stuff for my own benefit more than owt else (sorry if that sounds like I'm self indulgent and attention seeking).

Not gambled for 10 days now  :scarf. Went to my second GA meeting the other night and felt good seeing some same faces again. I dont want to sound awful but I can tell even at this early stage there are some self-deluded and even selfish people there. It's a token visit for some and for some they just get off their chest what they want to say, seek a bit of comfort and then fuck off without listening to other people's accounts of their last week. Anyway - rant over, the majority are good for me and we bounce off each other.

It's hard passing a bandit in a pub and I walk near or past a bookies most days. But do you know what's most hard? Not been able to take home the literature and experiences and talk with the one you love about how you feel and stuff and how it went. I have a couple of really good mates who I can talk to and have done and of course I have my old folks who have been brilliant through all this but it's just not quite the same. Does that make sense?

Anyway one step at a time eh. I will keep 'bouncing' off you people as well if you dont mind.

p.s. at the game tomorrow - dont get often, in the annie road end, cant wait. If you see a 36 year old slightly red-eyed bloke with a tear in his eye singing YNWA just remember that this is more than just a football club to many people.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:20 am »
Really pleased for you Dave  :) It sounds like you are really determined and I am sure you will be sucessful!

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:54 am »
thats a great one mate. you should be proud. Im the same, i can talk to my mates but never my wife ( when i had one :(  ) For me i felt inadequate in front of her for some reason as i felt such a loser but my mates seemed different. Its weird how that works.

Keep going mate and keep us updated on your progress.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »
Hi everyone, been going to meetings 3 weeks now and it helps. Only had an inkling once or twice to bet but the thought of where I am and what I have put me and others through soon gets rid of the thought. Had very little contact with my wife - though she wants to meet later this week and discuss house, finances etc. She has kept seeing this bloke which upset me a bit last week cos I thought she may have cooled it and stood back. Some days I feel OK and some days it feels like I been punched in the stomach and can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Off work another month - cant say I ever want to go back. Time for a new job I reckon, or is that running away?

All over the place still - been diagnosed with 'mild to moderate' depression but avoided medication for at least a month anyway, instead seeing a mental health counsellor, who today got me on a 6 week stress-control course. He also says I should contact a solicitor asap. Just feel as though everything is a car crash at the moment and I go and read the alcohol issues and depression threads and there are so many similarities to how I feel.

Everyone just says, it will get better. Does anyone know when?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »
with time mate. thats all addicts have mate. its great to see you doing so well, it really is. Its surprising how many addictions are just ignored. Great to see you sorting it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
Well in lad, I bet you never thought you'd last this long?.....:P ;D

Having a bit of gallows humour about it and laughing of certain thoughts and looking back on certain urges can, and will help. You mightn't feel like it but you have to keep a positive attitude about it all, even if you don't feel like it.

Keep up the good work.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »
It will get better mate, it's just that you don't always see it at the time and you can't always tell it's getting better until later.

My brother had bad debt problems (for different reasons).  If you haven't done so already, contact a debt advice agency (not ocean finance, one of the charities).  They really helped with my brothers debts.

They can't keep chasing you for the debt (they do, but that's when you have to know your rights), and with my brother they made the companies agree to easy repayment terms (only a few quid a month).

Don't be afraid to use your situation in your favour, milk it to help yourself.

If the debt is what's stressing you then please

1. Know your rights
2. Talk to the lenders
3. Negotiate with them.

You might be surprised by how much can get done for you, but please please don't ignore it because the pressure of it builds and builds and builds which is much worse than the debt itself.

Anyway, this maybe of no help whatsoever, but good luck mate, there's always someone on here willing to listen and provide help so please let us know how you are getting on.  No one will Judge you on here.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
Up until Christmas, I was spunking about a quarter of my monthly wage, mainly on Internet sites. I've stopped now, but it makes you think that how they can ban certain things on adverts (Tobbaco mainly), yet you can look on daytime TV and it's one bingo avert after another. And if it ain't that, you can be watching the footie and you'll have Ray Winston telling you that you can shove a few quid on how many fucking corners there's going to be.

I ain't completly stopped gambling (still have a few quid in the fruitie when I'm in the pub), but the Internet sites are fucking evil, and something should be done about it.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »

Agree with that.

And good luck Dave, others might look at themselves and realise they have a problem and that can only be a good thing.

Offline KingsRevolution

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »
Gamcare.co.uk.

Get on there Dave, the support and advice you get on there is fantastic.
I reckon i have a problem, and im only 20, off to uni in september so need to stop the amount i trade.

The way i look at it though, if you cant, on a saturday, go to the pub, watch your local football team whilst having a cheeky tenner on the score, then well, whats the point of a weekend  ;) you just need stick to a limit.

Keep yourself busy mate, instead of gambling treat your missus to a meal, the cinema or buy yourself a nice top.

its beatable mate. and there is always advice out there for you.

good luck! x

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 01:29:50 am »
How do fella, Ill post in here before I pop into thew Alcoholics thread lol. bit of an addictive personality me  ;)

Started for me at 16, worked on Allerton Road and there was nothing to do up there then (mid 90s), no pubs or nowt, so first day I went the bookies and threw a quid on a horse, it came in 12/1. Next day I went back, quid on a horse, won 10/1. I maintain to this day those were the 2 worst bets I ever done - because they came in. Had they not, I probably wouldnt have bothered again.

I was on about 50 quid a week then, so those wins were like a days pay, and to a 16 year old, that was decent cash for me. Problem was then, I thought I could win all the time. Started going in every lunch, the bets got a little bigger, then the fruities took hold, and that was me done. Within a few months I would go over on a Wednesday (pay day ) lunch at 1pm for my half hour lunch, return to work an hour later with my wages spent and to a bollocking from the boss. This happened quite often.

By the time my wages were up to the triple figures a week mark I was betting 20 quid a pop pretty much every day until my money was gone, then would go out on a Saturday with my Uncle (who has always gambled but unlike me could afford it), and when the money ran out, bang, credit card. Then Id max that out, get a loan to pay it off and give me a bit extra, gamble the extra, get a credit card, etc etc. On the odd days I would not go back to work in the afternoon cos I was chasing my money on a fruit machine, lads in the office were sound and covered for me, but 3 or 4 hours later Id be skint and dripping in sweat cos I had just spunked my weeks wages up the wall.

Used to play 5 a side at the Pitz up Everton way, remember one Wednesday night we had a league game, kick off about 8pm I think. Got the bar about 7, got a pint and went on my favourite fruity, Jewel in the Crown. Was still there an hour after our game kicked off, was about a ton 20 down on the machine and about 7 pints in. One of the lads came running in saying they needed me on the pitch (I wasnt much good, we were just short of numbers lol), begrudgingly I went out leaving the machine, got sent off after being on the pitch for 40 seconds, ran back the bar and ploughed another 60 quid in the machine. That 180 was money I had lent off my nan to pay my Mums keep that week, as I had lost my weeks pay after work before going the Pitz in another fruit machine while waiting for a lift the match.

I didnt stop until 2001, when I started going out with a Girl from work. We had been mates for 2 years, and she knew what I was like cos I used to go out of a lunch time in work and throw a few 40 quid wins on the nags, then go back to work. I couldnt even see the races, I had to phone a mate who was at home to check the results on Ceefax (this was 99, didnt have a mobile or net in work lol), I wasnt even watching the race, got no enjoyment from it, just sheer deperation for a bet. Anyway, she told me if we were gonna make things work I had to knock the gambling on the head. And I did. Easy as that. Still to this day dont know who I done it, but I just stopped.

I havent been on a fruit machine for about 6 years now, I have the odd bet (usually Grand National or the odd footy roll up, maybe half dozen times a year, tenner a pop), Im going to Aintree on Thursday April 8th, Ill take a couple of ton I have budgeted myself and wont be tempted at anymore or carrying it on. Im no longer with the Girl that told me to pack in, but I still remember her telling me that and how easy I found it to stop. I honestly have no idea how I did it, but I honestly found it really easy. Strange.

But I feel for you mate I really do, I have a mate who still suffers now and lost a few grand just before Christmas that was his house deposit, I look at him and am so thankful I was able to stop myself being 'that guy'. Gambling is a shit thing, and I value money far too much now to piss it up a wall on fruit machines that are basically designed to take cash off you, or backing another McCoy favourite at 6/4 which he fucks up on only to romp in on a 14s shot next race (I fucking despise McCoy).

Only time I had a lapse, 2006. I was off work for 5 months and house bound, bored off my tits. Opened online accounts for free bets just for some interest. Lost a fair whack of cash as I had nothing better to do and wasnt spending money anywhere else, I knew it was too much though when I was sitting there one night and had a ton on red (online roulette), black came in. Threw 250 on red chasing my money, black came in. Suddenly I looked around, I had been in a total daze for all of 90 seconds and lost 350 quid. I wasnt even paying attention to what I was doing. My heart started racing and I thought fuck this shit, logged out closed account and never went back. But its not easy, I know that.

At the moment I have far too much shit going on in life to think about a gamble even if I wanted to lol, but keep up the good work buddy and theres anything I can do let me know. Im not on here to often lately due to above mentioned life shite, but Ill check in when I can.

Its a fucker of an addiction mate, it will wreck your mind not to mention your finances, I am still paying off previously explained loans now, and Im 31 next week, 15 years on from my first bet. Remember getting about 5ton in cash on my 18th birthday on the Friday night, by 3pm Saturday I was asking my uncle to lend me a ton, I had blown the lot. And back then I didnt even look at what I was spending, and I was only on about 9k a year at the time, and was probably going through about 1k a month on gambling alone. You do the math.

Keep your chin up mate, it is indeed a mugs game and if you can turn your back on it for good then your life will be so much better for it.

Cheers my man.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:53 am »
only just seen this thread now, well done for going so long without gambling, proud of yer. as you may know im struggling with my own addiction which to be honest, i seem to have (sort of) under control. i lost everything, my girlfriend, my daughter etc. its hard mate, but your doing the right thing confronting it. once again well done and keep your chin up.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 01:55:08 am »
Fair play for admitting you have a problem thats the hardest step imo. You'll feel alot better talking about it and getting it off your chest you just need to stick at it now... i wish you all the best mate

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 02:15:18 am »
I had a bad few years gambling. All internet betting on sports.

Re-mortgaged the house, got £30K loans, £10K loans - all to pay for my gambling.
My biggest bet was just over £9K; it lost (Brazil 0-0 Bolivia).
I was physically sick when the final whistle went as I knew that was the end of the road.
At one stage a few years earlier - my account was £22K in the black!

I have now knocked it on the head - but I am 2 years into a 6 year IVA as collateral.
Skint till Oct 2014 - but at least I just about kept my house.

Only my closde friends know why and how I came to be in this financial situation -
not even my family know as I was too ashamed to tell them.

Dave - don't you feel better you are not worrying about the next bet?
How liberating is it?

Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:34 am »
How do fella, Ill post in here before I pop into thew Alcoholics thread lol. bit of an addictive personality me  ;)

Started for me at 16, worked on Allerton Road and there was nothing to do up there then (mid 90s), no pubs or nowt, so first day I went the bookies and threw a quid on a horse, it came in 12/1. Next day I went back, quid on a horse, won 10/1. I maintain to this day those were the 2 worst bets I ever done - because they came in. Had they not, I probably wouldnt have bothered again.

I was on about 50 quid a week then, so those wins were like a days pay, and to a 16 year old, that was decent cash for me. Problem was then, I thought I could win all the time. Started going in every lunch, the bets got a little bigger, then the fruities took hold, and that was me done. Within a few months I would go over on a Wednesday (pay day ) lunch at 1pm for my half hour lunch, return to work an hour later with my wages spent and to a bollocking from the boss. This happened quite often.

By the time my wages were up to the triple figures a week mark I was betting 20 quid a pop pretty much every day until my money was gone, then would go out on a Saturday with my Uncle (who has always gambled but unlike me could afford it), and when the money ran out, bang, credit card. Then Id max that out, get a loan to pay it off and give me a bit extra, gamble the extra, get a credit card, etc etc. On the odd days I would not go back to work in the afternoon cos I was chasing my money on a fruit machine, lads in the office were sound and covered for me, but 3 or 4 hours later Id be skint and dripping in sweat cos I had just spunked my weeks wages up the wall.

Used to play 5 a side at the Pitz up Everton way, remember one Wednesday night we had a league game, kick off about 8pm I think. Got the bar about 7, got a pint and went on my favourite fruity, Jewel in the Crown. Was still there an hour after our game kicked off, was about a ton 20 down on the machine and about 7 pints in. One of the lads came running in saying they needed me on the pitch (I wasnt much good, we were just short of numbers lol), begrudgingly I went out leaving the machine, got sent off after being on the pitch for 40 seconds, ran back the bar and ploughed another 60 quid in the machine. That 180 was money I had lent off my nan to pay my Mums keep that week, as I had lost my weeks pay after work before going the Pitz in another fruit machine while waiting for a lift the match.

I didnt stop until 2001, when I started going out with a Girl from work. We had been mates for 2 years, and she knew what I was like cos I used to go out of a lunch time in work and throw a few 40 quid wins on the nags, then go back to work. I couldnt even see the races, I had to phone a mate who was at home to check the results on Ceefax (this was 99, didnt have a mobile or net in work lol), I wasnt even watching the race, got no enjoyment from it, just sheer deperation for a bet. Anyway, she told me if we were gonna make things work I had to knock the gambling on the head. And I did. Easy as that. Still to this day dont know who I done it, but I just stopped.

I havent been on a fruit machine for about 6 years now, I have the odd bet (usually Grand National or the odd footy roll up, maybe half dozen times a year, tenner a pop), Im going to Aintree on Thursday April 8th, Ill take a couple of ton I have budgeted myself and wont be tempted at anymore or carrying it on. Im no longer with the Girl that told me to pack in, but I still remember her telling me that and how easy I found it to stop. I honestly have no idea how I did it, but I honestly found it really easy. Strange.

But I feel for you mate I really do, I have a mate who still suffers now and lost a few grand just before Christmas that was his house deposit, I look at him and am so thankful I was able to stop myself being 'that guy'. Gambling is a shit thing, and I value money far too much now to piss it up a wall on fruit machines that are basically designed to take cash off you, or backing another McCoy favourite at 6/4 which he fucks up on only to romp in on a 14s shot next race (I fucking despise McCoy).

Only time I had a lapse, 2006. I was off work for 5 months and house bound, bored off my tits. Opened online accounts for free bets just for some interest. Lost a fair whack of cash as I had nothing better to do and wasnt spending money anywhere else, I knew it was too much though when I was sitting there one night and had a ton on red (online roulette), black came in. Threw 250 on red chasing my money, black came in. Suddenly I looked around, I had been in a total daze for all of 90 seconds and lost 350 quid. I wasnt even paying attention to what I was doing. My heart started racing and I thought fuck this shit, logged out closed account and never went back. But its not easy, I know that.

At the moment I have far too much shit going on in life to think about a gamble even if I wanted to lol, but keep up the good work buddy and theres anything I can do let me know. Im not on here to often lately due to above mentioned life shite, but Ill check in when I can.

Its a fucker of an addiction mate, it will wreck your mind not to mention your finances, I am still paying off previously explained loans now, and Im 31 next week, 15 years on from my first bet. Remember getting about 5ton in cash on my 18th birthday on the Friday night, by 3pm Saturday I was asking my uncle to lend me a ton, I had blown the lot. And back then I didnt even look at what I was spending, and I was only on about 9k a year at the time, and was probably going through about 1k a month on gambling alone. You do the math.

Keep your chin up mate, it is indeed a mugs game and if you can turn your back on it for good then your life will be so much better for it.

Cheers my man.

Thanks for telling your story mate, and I hope you get through whatever life is throwing at you right now.

I know what you mean about just stopping - it has in the past seemed that easy (I have had several months off betting completely a few times but overall I have been betting for 20 years now). But it grips you again - and it will only be a quid in the bandit or a footy accumulator and that will be it - a few weeks later I'm betting hundreds. Thats why I know that my only hope is that I NEVER have a bet again, of any kind.

I have fallen so far down I can only go up but its just the emptiness its left me. It has cost me probably my marriage and all those wasted years.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 08:28:55 am »
I had a bad few years gambling. All internet betting on sports.

Re-mortgaged the house, got £30K loans, £10K loans - all to pay for my gambling.
My biggest bet was just over £9K; it lost (Brazil 0-0 Bolivia).
I was physically sick when the final whistle went as I knew that was the end of the road.
At one stage a few years earlier - my account was £22K in the black!

I have now knocked it on the head - but I am 2 years into a 6 year IVA as collateral.
Skint till Oct 2014 - but at least I just about kept my house.

Only my closde friends know why and how I came to be in this financial situation -
not even my family know as I was too ashamed to tell them.

Dave - don't you feel better you are not worrying about the next bet?
How liberating is it?

Yeah mate its starting to feel good about not thinking about betting. I still look at matches and have a crafty look at how many corners there have been so far, and it sort of makes me laugh and realise how I watched sport before and what I nightmare I was.

Your story is harrowing mate but fair play to you for rescuing yourself. All in all I am about 20K in a hole but I have options to get myself out in time. I know that if it all had not of come out the way it did and when it did I would have had at most another year I reckon before I had lost everything inc. house and I would have been in the gutter - one of life's wasters. And if that isnt an enough sobering thought to keep me straight then nothing is.

Keep strong mate and thanks for replying.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »
find myself betting in the middle of a lot of games at the min cos i have it on my phone

which is bad
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR