Author Topic: Michael Owen: God MKII, or False God?  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Michael Owen: God MKII, or False God?
« on: June 15, 2004, 11:18:06 am »
Michael Owen gets written off almost daily; sometimes, twice daily. I tend to set my watch by it. People wonder if he's no longer the player he was at 18, and after one service-starved game for England, ITV's Des Lynam (admittedly not a heavyweight thinker on the game) last night said that he wished Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovich was English and thus able to partner Wayne Rooney up front. Of course, this came after Owen's "disappointing" season with Liverpool - how other strikers would love such poor campaigns.

Thierry Henry's arrival in England has had something to do with seeing Owen in a lesser light, but comparisons are rather disingenuous. Henry is a better footballer than Owen can ever hope to be (or any other striker in the world can, for that matter) - Henry is three players rolled into one; but both men are great finishers with different styles - and Owen has arguably had far inferior service for his goals; inarguably, Owen has been in the inferior side (Liverpool never having finished above Arsenal in Owen's career). Michael has had more injury problems, and fewer creative players feeding him chances. Owen doesn't have Henry's physical gifts: Henry's much longer legs are stronger over greater distances; for every two strides Owen takes, Henry only needs one-and-a-half. Thierry can afford to glide past players, whereas Michael has to pump his legs like crazy to generate his pace.

Despite all this, only one of these men has won the European Footballer of the Year (although if Henry doesn't get it this year, you have to wonder what's going on).

I firmly believe that Owen is a far better player now than when he was 18; understandable as some of the doubts may be (after all, he doesn't appear as 'dynamic'), I think people are having 'selective' memory, recalling the wonderful highlights and forgetting the short-comings. He hasn't got quite the same pace, due to the specific hamstring-and-back strengthening exercises he has to do, and he hasn't scored really spectacular goals recently; he's altered his game slightly, but it's different, not worse (plus he's added heading - far better technique than Heskey, for example, although not quite up to Henrik Larsson, who is the best diminutive header of the ball - and goals from his left foot). He links play better, but it will never be his strong suit, and nor should we expect it to be. He uses his brain more, and poaches goals.

The standard of the game in England has improved since 1997; so many top-class pacey defenders have been imported to replace the plodding old-style English centre halves. I was at Selhurst Park for both his debut and then the first game of 1997/98, each time against Wimbledon; in that latter game, he ran quickly but in his eagerness to just blow defenders away with his pace he miscontrolled the ball and over-ran it time and time again. He was a one-trick pony, but once in position he had a natural eye for goal; when it worked, what a trick! But too frequently in his early days super-slow old centre backs, like Steve Bould and Dave Watson, used to step off him waiting for his control to let him down, and then simply walk away with the ball. Owen's left foot was awful, and he never won headers. What he had on his side was the fearlessness of youth - in the way Wayne Rooney doesn't have to worry about anyone but himself for England (although of course, at Everton he's the only player who can control a football, and reports seemed to suggest that has been poor more frequently than good for his club). Nowadays, Owen carries the burden of both his team and his country.

Yes, he had stinkers last season, but then so will all strikers (I can recall a few last season from Shearer and Van Nistelrooy, and even games where Henry couldn't hit a barn door; Fowler in his pomp was no different). Owen has had them his entire career; he is human, after all. It's just that lately, with Liverpool misfiring on too many cylinders, and no other striker scoring goals, his bad games seemed to cost us dear. Yes, he should stop with the penalties; they generate a lot of the negative press that surrounds him and affect his confidence, but I understand why he takes them: he wants goals, and goals improve his confidence. It just tended to work the wrong way last season. His greatest strength, however, is that he continues to put himself in the firing line; if he misses five chances in a game, he'll still look to score with number six. He doesn't hide.

Let me remind you of a day in history: 10th January 2001. The location: back at Selhurst Park, this time to face Crystal Palace in the semi-final of the League Cup. Owen has the mother of all stinkers. He misses something like ten good opportunities, and Clinton Morrison (yes, that man who has since scaled the heights) laughs at Michael's expense, saying he'd have put a few of those chances away. In the return, Owen sits on the bench, smiling ruefully as Morrison - suddenly in the spotlight and under pressure - miskicks twice in front of the Kop.

A month later, I was fortunate enough to be in Italy to see Michael score twice against Roma. By September of that year, Liverpool had won three trophies and two showpiece finals. Owen scored both in the FA Cup final, again in the Charity Shield and European Super Cup, and was about to score in the Uefa Cup final when the Alaves keeper cynically tripped him. He went on to score a hat-trick in Germany for England, and was European Footballer of the Year before the year was over.

When off-form Owen seems to miss a lot of chances to score his goals (a symptom of any striker off-colour), but add together his chances in Rome, in Cardiff, and in Munich, and it equals seven opportunities, seven goals. That sums him up: when on-form, no one scores more from fewer chances. Meanwhile, it was Henry missing countless chances in the FA Cup Final. Michael's strength is mental toughness. He doesn't want to score great goals, he just wants to score any goal; he'd prefer nine scrappy tap-ins to eight wonder strikes. It's only better when the stage is bigger. Only then do the goals tend to count double, and he loses himself in his celebrations. Providing the team wins, of course.

These days the opposition set out to stop Michael Owen. Witness how deep the French - the best side in the world, in my opinion - sat the other night; and this was with Thuram, Gallas and Silvestre: three of the quickest defenders around (two of whom are excellent, the other merely has a very big head). They could have afforded to defend much higher up, but were scared to.

As a result, Rooney, who deservedly took the plaudits for his skill on the ball around the halfway line, had all the space behind to play in - as France didn't want to leave just one defender marking Owen. Did Rooney do anything in and around the French box? - aside from winning the penalty late on, when France had thrown caution to the wind and left only one man back (the comically inept Silvestre) - Rooney didn't get anywhere near their goal. As Rooney was playing in the hole, Mickey couldn't drop deep to get involved in the game - otherwise England would have been playing no-one up front. Michael's job the other night was to play on the shoulder of the last man - and was never going to stand any chance of rich rewards without service. When Cisse arrives at Liverpool, he will be more ideally suited to the figurehead striking role, as he is bigger and stronger (and quicker). Owen will play off of him - not in the hole, but just behind, or just to the side. He will buzz about and time his runs into the box to arrive unmarked, or look to capitalise on any last-ditch tackles on the marauding Frenchman. Someone up-front alongside him who needs two men marking him will allow Michael more freedom. The success of this partnership will hopefully lead Michael to further extending his contract. The good times will surely arrive (although that doesn't mean guaranteed titles and trophies).

Anyone who thinks he is not the player he was should look at his record. Owen's goal tally has gone from 23, 23 (then the hamstring injury-hit season), then 24, 28 and 28. This season it was 19, but he was only two goals short, with 17, of his best league total, despite missing a quarter of the league campaign and playing in a team lacking direction and nowhere near as good as the top sides (who were an embarrassing 15-30 points ahead); and also a side that didn't progress in any of the cups (and these days he doesn't line up against the poor sides in the League Cup, where he would score hat-tricks in his early years).

The Liverpool side during recent seasons has played to some of his strengths (long quick passes) but also failed to deliver a variety of chances - no one gets to the byline to pull the ball back, for example, and there have been too few hard-and-low crosses from either flank. The style of play became increasingly predictable, making it easier to stop him. Yet still he scored at the same impressive ratio. And still he more-often-than-not scores in the big games - he has his entire career. It is a mark of his quality. He will never be the best striker in the world; but he will always be in and around the top ten.

He wants to stay at Liverpool, but understandably he wants to be playing in a top side; like Steven Gerrard, I believe he will continue to love representing Liverpool providing the team has ambition and direction. All the very best players have that desire and ambition - it's what marks them out from those who merely want to pick up their wages. Whereas Emile Heskey thinks he has nothing to prove (when he has an infinite amount left to prove), Owen knows that every time he goes onto the pitch he still has has to re-prove himself: each time he needs to show the world that he's still a top player, or he will once again be cast-off as past-it. Again, that's another sign of those at the top of the game - never settling for second best.

Write Michael Owen off at your peril.

© Paul Tomkins 2004

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 12:15:33 pm by paul_tomkins »

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
Re: Michael Owen: God MKII, or False God?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 11:46:08 am »
Excellent, Paul.

Showing his comprehensive grasp of European cultures, Lynam commented last night about Ibrahimovic "He's not even Swedish, is he ? He was originally Croat or something." Profound. One reason he'd never play for England : our unenlightened attitude to asylum seekers from Bosnia during the 90s : Sweden reaping the benefit of a more humane policy. Lynam and the Nazi press (those running the Gerrard to Chelsea story, oddly enough) make good bedfellows.

Your observations about Rooney in the hole (phnaar phnaar) are spot on : also, Owen was pressed forward to close down distribution across to the left channel at the back for France, which was so important in keeping Henry out of the game first half. It was only second half, when fatboy's diet of pies and inexperience saw him flag (a good performance first half, to one at times embarrassing second half where he was regularly at fault for giving the ball away quickly and putting the pressure back on before England had had a chance to move out of the last third) that Henry got a sniff.

I don't give a toss what he does for England though, as long as he a) enjoys himself and learns from the experience and b) remains uninjured. Euro 2004 is a cracking bit of light entertainment over the summer until the real thing starts again. When, as I have said consistently over recent months, I wouldn't mind having that Larsson fella for a season or two !

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 12:07:28 pm »
Yeah, very wise of Des, wasn't it? Suprised he didn't comment that most of the French team have ancestry beyond that country...

Rooney will seriously have to watch his weight when his metabolism slows; if he's that chunky now, he'll have major problems later. Also, he was lucky not to get booked on two occasions. Great talent, but the temperament of Gazza...

I do support England, but it means so much more when Liverpool players are playing (and doing well). The positive side of Owen doing poorly is that it stops the rumours; as soon as he scores a hat-trick, he'll be linked with everyone under the sun, and even if he wants to stay at Liverpool, it will be tiresome and unsettling. A fit Gerrard and Owen at Liverpool next season is a must.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 01:30:29 pm »
good read. i especially enjoyed the points about cisse's potential partnership with owen. i hadn't heard the argument that owen might drop a little deeper, but it sounds plausible + a good idea. it will be interesting to see how owen adapts to that role, but it suits a striker of his size - he's not really the man you want to see trying to outmuscle sol campbell and the like.

it will also be interesting to see what system benitez goes for with cisse being at the club. benitez seems to have favoured playing a lone striker at valencia - a tactical system which by necessity involves playing a powerhouse at the peak of the attack. cisse seems tailor made for this role, so owen will presumably have to battle with baros / kewell / smicer / le tallec to be the man "in the hole" if we go for that system. alternatively, benitez might (less likely) play with two up front, in which case MO's place in the team would seem more assured.

there're too many "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" at the moment, and i guess many of the doubts won't get resolved until pre-season at the earliest, but i fancy owen to adapt to any new role which he might be given in the team. he's shown in the past he has the determination to learn new skills, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has far more in his locker than people realise. hopefully, cisse's arrival will, as you say, give owen the space and time on the ball to show the full range of his abilities.

then, perhaps, more fans will come to know owen as God MKII.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 01:43:44 pm »
I dealt with Benitez's tactical approach with the two strikers in my last article. I just feel that you can play them both, but Owen cannot be the spearhead on his own against bigger, stronger defenders, especially quick ones like Campbell. You don't want Owen dropping too deep either. I'm sure Benitez can get the best out of both of them. Time will tell!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 02:56:42 pm »
Lynam made a complete berk of himself with these comments. Michael's attitude towards being a PROFESSIONAL footballer and his desire to be amongst the best is one of the main reasons why he always will be. It's only a matter of time before everyone is fawning over him again as he always arrives on cue to get his country out of the shit. We've seen it time and time again. If he doesn't bag one or two on Thursday, it'll be the Croatia game but it WILL happen. It's amazing how quick people turn isn't it? I'm not one of Beckhams biggest fans but some of the bilge spoken about his pen the other night just shows so many people up for the know-nothings that they are. I just take it all with a pinch of salt just as I do when they lavish sickening praise on whoever happens to be flavour of the month.

Offline Jay73

• Main Stander
  • Dribbles Everywhere
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 03:05:46 pm »
Excellent piece, Paul. I replied to this on my thread because being the newbie that I am, I didn't notice I could reply here. Therefore I'll just copy and paste from there ;)

I hope it didn't appear that I was writing Michael off. My original post was an attempt to compare and contrast and hopefully provoke a debate.

If Paul is right and Michael is to be employed behind Cisse instead of leading the line, I can't wait to see it. I'm not particularly keen on this approach that forces Michael to chase long balls. As a 2nd striker we could see Michael getting involved more. As I said, the 98 version was also the leading assist man and I'm sure Michael can still provide chances as well as take them. He is an intelligent player.

Maybe then we will see Michael enjoying his football again. I'm not suggesting for a second that he isn't trying at the moment but it would be nice to see the kind of enthusiasm and joy for playing the game that he used to have. I think that could make a huge difference.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 03:34:10 pm »
He's not Henry, Raul, Ronaldo (the real one) or Fowler, and he will never be. But he is Michael Owen. And he scores in big games, he delivers season after season with limited service, he improves on his weaknesses etc. That is what he actually does. Often I think we wish for Mikey being a foot taller, stronger, quicker, more techniqually gifted or whatever it may be. "If only..." We should put value on his strengths and use them to our advantage instead. He's got the great ability to be in the right place at the right time and he knows what to do to put the ball in the net. It's a gift and he's got it. Owen is the real deal, no doubt in my mind about it.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 04:06:31 pm »
- Is he better/worse is a valid question to ask as a devil's advocate - enough journos and fans have asked it seriously over the last season. I guess the trouble with 'devil's advocate' is that you are never quite sure if someone actually really means it. I was just sick of reading journalists question if he still had what it takes.

- I also think that as an intelligent player who works at his weaknesses, he has the capacity to do what Keegan did in the 70s, and continue to improve. It's funny that he is not always fully appreciated: Lynam summed it up for me, wishing England had two strikers with potential alone: neither of whom have done much in the game as yet.

- His partnership with Cisse should frighten defenders everywhere. It really should put teams onto the back foot, and then as I've said before, it's just a question of how the midfield get forward to support the front two. Teams won't let us counter attack much - but when we get the chance to, it will be frightening.

Offline Neale Graham

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 11:20:58 pm »
Paul

You make some very well thought out, eloquent points.

However, much as I think Michael Owen is a fine player and is one of the best big-game strikers in the world, I also feel he is expendable.  The reason?  He is injury prone and hence unreliable.  There has yet to be a season go by when he is not missing for what feels like an age (that could be due to the fact that he's our only goalscorer but then Baros has a decent goal return for the Czech Rep - perhaps Cisse's arrival will change this, perhaps not).  We then have his usual six-game recovery period after each injury when he looks totally out of sorts and articles get penned about whether he's any good anymore.

If you cannot bank on a player's general fitness, then is it worth pinning your team's hopes on him?  Steven Gerrard had an operation in the summer of 02 and that solved all his problems.  With Owen it's more complex than that and an operation would not cure his recurring ailments.  But is he the man around which we should be building our attack?  I watch his frequent anonymity with ire, frustration and bewilderment in equal measure.  I don't expect him to be haring round Rooney-style or gliding this way and that like Henry.  But it's his total ineffectiveness when he's off-colour that gets me.  It's as if he's not trying.  At least Baros, who maybe only half the finisher, at least looks like he's giving it a go when he is on the pitch.

When Owen is on song, he is deadly and reasonably creative.  When he's not, he is a liability - plain and simple.  He will always blow hot and cold (he always has) and you wonder before each match if this is the day he picks up his next long-term injury.  His acceleration is not the weapon it once was, although for top-end pace there are few quicker.  With Owen's form and fitness fitful, and with a year left on his contract, I say it's time to cash in and build our attack around someone else.  Someone not necessarily as clinical but someone with the zest Owen had at 18 and the desire to battle when the chips are down, rather than assuming head-down, just-missed-another-penalty expressions that have become the norm since 2001.

And if the question boils down to who would I rather have, the Owen of 1998 or the Owen of 2004, I'd take the former any day. 

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 11:33:15 pm »
Neale, sure Owen is out for a few games per season, but he still finishes top scorer every year for us. He delivers. He's someone to build on, not someone to sell.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 11:45:21 pm »
Euro 2004 is a cracking bit of light entertainment over the summer until the real thing starts again. When, as I have said consistently over recent months, I wouldn't mind having that Larsson fella for a season or two !

perfect way of summing it up Bob.
Yep.

Offline Neale Graham

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 01:03:58 pm »
Gnurglan

I cannot deny that he knows where the goal is.  But he should be our top scorer each season when the entire team is set up to feed him chances (even if this season they have been fewer than usual).  Gerrard does not hammer the ball long just for fun.

It fails to mask his all-round deficiencies and brings into question the worth of having our main striker be someone who goes missing in games and whose fitness is susceptible.

He's a very good finisher when he's in the groove.  It's just that, for whatever reason, the groove is not something he finds enough of the time to justify having the entire team focussed on him.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 01:04:25 am »
Gnurglan

I cannot deny that he knows where the goal is.  But he should be our top scorer each season when the entire team is set up to feed him chances (even if this season they have been fewer than usual).  Gerrard does not hammer the ball long just for fun.

It fails to mask his all-round deficiencies and brings into question the worth of having our main striker be someone who goes missing in games and whose fitness is susceptible.

He's a very good finisher when he's in the groove.  It's just that, for whatever reason, the groove is not something he finds enough of the time to justify having the entire team focussed on him.

I don't think the team did give him enough quality chances (thanks to the style of play we had). Don't think the longball game suits Owen. Too often I think we gave our strikers the ball in situations where they had too much work left to do.

Think Sweden's goals against Bulgaria (except the penalty), think Valeron's for Spain against Russia, Maniche's for Portugal against Russia, RvN's against Germany or Baros' against Latvia. All those goals left the scorer in a good position to put the ball in the net. The goalscorer got the ball close to the goal and was left to finish. The trick for those goalscorers was not to perform a miracle, but to be at the right place at the right time and put the ball away. At LFC, I think Owen has received the ball a "moment" earlier. It's like he has had to first beat his defender and then finish which has resulted in lower quality chances. (That's why I think the shots on goal stats was flawed.) We often say Baros sticks down his head and runs and that's what I think has been required of our strikers, not just Baros. Do it yourself. They've sort of wasted their energy on their move to reach the goalscoring position.

There's no doubt Owen has a couple of weaknesses, but for me, they are not that interesting. He has some great assets and those are the ones we should strive to use better. One of his greatest physical assets is IMO his first few steps. Forget the pace over 20-30 yards. No defender can keep up with him over 5-10 yards because he's so quick. That's how for example Ljungberg scores all his goals for Arsenal. Either a one-two just ouside the box will send FL clear on a run into the box, or he will get ahead of his marker to score from a cross. (That's how he's scored against LFC.) Owen could score plenty of goals like that against a settled defence if we let him.

This would force us to play a different game, but I think not only Owen would benefit from that. We'd get more goals from Gerrard and our creative players would get more involved too. What's needed? Better passing, better movement and some more guts. I reckon Benitez will bring that. :)

Offline parr

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 11:25:06 am »
A few months ago I stumbled across an article written after Euro 2000. It was a moan about England and one of the points was that Michael Owen's best performances were behind him. That's Michael Owen, European Player of the Year 2001. You'd think people would learn, but I guess not.

I'm not sure why people are critising him after the England-France game. The only decent bit of service I remember him getting was when he was almost in but Gallas got across him. Apart from that all he had was aimless long balls, and you can't expect to him win headers against Thuram and Silvestre.

I suppose he could have dropped deeper looking for the ball but I thought the threat of him getting in behind was important for England. If he'd played deeper France's back four (and midfield) could have played further forward and put England under even more pressure.

He's definitely a better overall player than he was a few years ago. His heading is better, his left foot is better, and his control is better - he very rarely loses the ball nowadays.

The one critisism I would have of him is that he thinks too much and is too cautious. As I said he rarely loses the ball these days but I think he could take more chances, instead of keeping the ball he could try and take people on, or play a quick pass. This may lead to us losing the ball but I think sometimes you have to take risks to score goals.

Maybe they've been showing too many Thierry Henry highlights and I'm being a little unfair on Michael, but I think he should use his attacking instincts a little more. He's certainly a better player than he was though.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 11:59:16 am »
I suppose he could have dropped deeper looking for the ball but I thought the threat of him getting in behind was important for England. If he'd played deeper France's back four (and midfield) could have played further forward and put England under even more pressure.

Agree with most of that. But as I said, he couldn't drop back because Rooney was playing so deep. As soon as Owen drops looking for the ball, there's no-one up front.

He'll prove people wrong once again; as long as it's at Liverpool for the next few years, I'll be happy!

woof

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 08:36:08 am »
Michael Owen may not be the best striker but he is definitely special and he is world class. Remember how he scored against Newcastle on the last match of the season this year? There was so little room for him and he created a goal almost out of nowhere. If you watched the shot in slow motion, it emphasises how he timed his shot perfectly. Now, that's world class, along with goals vs Benfica and Arsenal at the FA Cup final.

He may not dazzle with the silky skills of Henry but his talents are far more subtle. Let's see how he goes when we get better service from a new midfield department this coming season under Benitez.

Offline Trell

• Kopite
  • "Winning trophies has made me put on weight."
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 05:40:48 pm »

What i have noticed more and more in the last year or so is his movement off the ball. Quite frankly his movement is possibly the best in the premiership. He draws defenders like flies but unfortuneately his normal partner is Heskey who in my opinion is not a natural goal scorer.

Take a look at Rooney's goals during this euro competition and Owen was either directly OR indirectly involved in all of them. This was mostly due to his movement off the ball.

With another dangerous striker up front (Cisse, Baros) it would give the defence more than Owen to lean on and he would score even more than he does week in and week out.

He cant be compared to other strikers IMHO as he plays a different game than they did. Suffice it to say that for the moment he is the best the club has, the best England have and he is still only young at 24.

He still has his best years ahead of him. I think you have to be insane to sell him as some people say.
Famous words of wisdom:

If you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards!

I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline TRF

• Anny Roader
  • Ukrainian and Liverpool FC fan ? Aha that's me
    • RedBeasts
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2004, 10:33:07 am »
Nothing to add!!! Fantastic!!!