Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00  (Read 56029 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00
« Reply #80 on: October 2, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
Great preview. Thanks mate.
Yep.

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #81 on: October 2, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this game, hopefully we can really do some damage and build some confidence. I'm sick of getting ridiculously nervous during our recent matches.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 2, 2013, 04:17:16 pm »
i've hated palace since the 1990 semi final,,, made me cry that day, so i hope we smash the bastards this weekend.
yeah that was a horror show.
amazing the number of league/cup doubles we blew around that time.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #83 on: October 2, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »
yeah that was a horror show.
amazing the number of league/cup doubles we blew around that time.

Could, arguably should have had 3 in a row from 88-90 to go alongside the one from 86.

Offline MaxJ

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 2, 2013, 04:33:20 pm »
Every memory I have of Palace seems to be a bad one. I'm 23 so was conveniently born in 1990, so my memory is limited.

But I can remember well the last three games against them in their last PL season very well - An away loss, a very dodgy home win and a League Cup defeat which angered me a LOT (I think they had been relegated by then though)

When you factor into this the fact that over the past 3 or 4 seasons we have repeatedly failed to inspire any sort if confidence at home against the weaker teams, (baggies, stoke, s'hampton, hammers, qpr, reading......the list goes on and on and on and on) this game has me in a bit of a nervous state.

I think we were better on the road for much of last season and it's very frustrating. I'd take 1-0. Although I'd feel a lot better for the last 10 if it was 2/3.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #85 on: October 2, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
Apologies for the main picture on the site being that of Alan Pardew's groin !!

Well that just lost you my click on your website. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #86 on: October 2, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
Apologies for the main picture on the site being that of Alan Pardew's groin !!

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #87 on: October 2, 2013, 04:53:20 pm »
Things like that cup semi-final in 1990 should serve as a reminder that we mustn't take any game for granted and expect to win, no matter how much we are favourites.

We were beaten last time out at Anfield in a game that on paper you would expect us to win.  I hope that has served as a kick up the arse and we go out with the correct mentality against Palace.

Palace played well at Old Trafford a few weeks ago, and had it not been for a poor penalty decision, might have got something out of the game.  They also had a man sent off and played the entire 2nd half with 10 men.  I remember Dwight Gayle had a couple of good chances as well.

There are no "gimmes" in the Premier League.  I know that is a bit of a cliche, but when you consider we have lost against Southampton, Cardiff have beaten Man City, Aston Villa beat Arsenal, and West Brom won at Old Trafford at the weekend, you can see that you just cannot afford to take any game easy.
Palace will look to hit Liverpool on the break.  They can be dangerous and have some quick players, so we will have to be alert.

There can be no excuses for fatigue, the players will have had a weeks rest since they last played, so should be sharp enough.

I expect Rodgers will stick with the formation he has used recently, with Henderson replacing Lucas in the middle and either Sterling or Aspas playing on the right.

Liverpool need to approach the game with the correct mentality, if they do they will win.  Anything less than that, and we are opening ourselves up for another one of those days!

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: October 2, 2013, 05:02:16 pm »
Things like that cup semi-final in 1990 should serve as a reminder that we mustn't take any game for granted and expect to win, no matter how much we are favourites.

We were beaten last time out at Anfield in a game that on paper you would expect us to win.  I hope that has served as a kick up the arse and we go out with the correct mentality against Palace.

Palace played well at Old Trafford a few weeks ago, and had it not been for a poor penalty decision, might have got something out of the game.  They also had a man sent off and played the entire 2nd half with 10 men.  I remember Dwight Gayle had a couple of good chances as well.

There are no "gimmes" in the Premier League.  I know that is a bit of a cliche, but when you consider we have lost against Southampton, Cardiff have beaten Man City, Aston Villa beat Arsenal, and West Brom won at Old Trafford at the weekend, you can see that you just cannot afford to take any game easy.
Palace will look to hit Liverpool on the break.  They can be dangerous and have some quick players, so we will have to be alert.

There can be no excuses for fatigue, the players will have had a weeks rest since they last played, so should be sharp enough.

I expect Rodgers will stick with the formation he has used recently, with Henderson replacing Lucas in the middle and either Sterling or Aspas playing on the right.

Liverpool need to approach the game with the correct mentality, if they do they will win.  Anything less than that, and we are opening ourselves up for another one of those days!

couldn't agree more. It's amazing to see all the "it's just palace we'll twat them no worries" type posts, same thing right before the Southampton match. that said, Southampton clearly are a better team than palace, but it's the same shit. People expect us to twat teams just because we're better on paper, it doesn't work like that for christ's sake.
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 2, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »
Think it'll be a tough game. They were unlucky against United, and Spurs won with a penalty.

Need to win and find some consistency though.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 2, 2013, 05:43:27 pm »
couldn't agree more. It's amazing to see all the "it's just palace we'll twat them no worries" type posts, same thing right before the Southampton match. that said, Southampton clearly are a better team than palace, but it's the same shit. People expect us to twat teams just because we're better on paper, it doesn't work like that for christ's sake.

Agreed, it's absolutely despicable to see supporters with confidence in their team.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: October 2, 2013, 06:17:33 pm »
Agreed, it's absolutely despicable to see supporters with confidence in their team.

confidence is nice, but also it's good to have a little awareness. How many times have we dropped points at home against teams like Palace, and how many over confident posts have we seen before such slip ups? If we play our best there is no doubt we should win, but we are an inconsistent team at the moment. A little realism is good, and acknowledging that we aren't actually that strong or consistent yet would be nice from some people. (I'm not necessarily saying that to you specifically)

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 2, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »
confidence is nice, but also it's good to have a little awareness. How many times have we dropped points at home against teams like Palace, and how many over confident posts have we seen before such slip ups? If we play our best there is no doubt we should win, but we are an inconsistent team at the moment. A little realism is good, and acknowledging that we aren't actually that strong or consistent yet would be nice from some people. (I'm not necessarily saying that to you specifically)

Nah, Palace are shite and we are gonna twat them.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: October 2, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »

It goes without saying, but I sure hope so :D

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Rufus Bullimore

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: October 2, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
Anything less than Liverpool wrecking them off the park will be a disgrace.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #95 on: October 2, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »

Four wins in six would suggest that we ARE consistent.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 2, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »

I'm as confident as anyone but they haven't been disgraced at al this season by anyone.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 2, 2013, 06:45:59 pm »

Whilst I don't agree with your sentiment, your username meets with my approval, so well done for that.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #98 on: October 2, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »

If we play like we did against Southhampton, it could be another long 90min.
Don't know where you people get so much confidence, I wish I had this much optimism.

Four wins in six would suggest that we ARE consistent.

the way we played surely isn't consistent. Results have been, not sure how long that will continue if we play with same attitude and intensity(lack of). Lucky that Suarez is back. Need Coutinho ASAP :(
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 2, 2013, 07:04:19 pm »
It goes without saying that we should really be winning this match, whether it is comfortably or not comfortably and just by the odd goal.

Unlike the 2 games after this, there is no one really in the Palace side that should cause us much discomfort, but then again you cannot take any team lightly in this league.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 2, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
If we play like we did against Southhampton, it could be another long 90min.
Don't know where you people get so much confidence, I wish I had this much optimism.

the way we played surely isn't consistent. Results have been, not sure how long that will continue if we play with same attitude and intensity(lack of). Lucky that Suarez is back. Need Coutinho ASAP :(

As long as the strikers are consistent, the defenders are consistent, and the keeper is consistent, then we will win games without playing well. Coutinho returning will help the midfield, and Johnson and Cissokho will help the attack. But we're not getting results DESPITE how we play - we're getting them BECAUSE we put the ball in the net and most of the time keep it out at the other end. Midfield has some issues, but as long as we are strong in both boxes, we have a chance in every game, and that's the bare minimum you can ask for from a team with ambition

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 2, 2013, 07:16:40 pm »
Mignolet, Suarez, Sturridge... these three are among the best in the league in their position. But maybe just take each game as it comes... remember before the season started, we weren't even expected to come fourth.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 2, 2013, 07:17:37 pm »
Was going out with a girl from Croydon in 1990 when they beat us in the cup. She rang me straight after the game to take the piss

Then a couple of weeks later she finished with me.

IF YOUR READING THIS EMMA I HOPE WE STUFF YOU 10-0

She was probably already getting a good stuffing during that couple of weeks

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 2, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
Mignolet, Suarez, Sturridge... these three are among the best in the league in their position. But maybe just take each game as it comes... remember before the season started, we weren't even expected to come fourth.

By who? I predicted 3rd place as early as last season :D

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 2, 2013, 07:26:17 pm »
Almost everyone apart from you  ;D. The worries about Crystal palace... one would think we'd end up midtable. I for one felt we would get 70 but couldn't predict position. That 70 point mark should be reached  :wave
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 07:28:11 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 2, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »
She was probably already getting a good stuffing during that couple of weeks

:D. here's your medal lad
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 2, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »

So you're saying that the people who were healthily sceptical were right to worry about Southampton, but the ones who said "we're going to twat them" were daft? Any possibility that you could redress that imbalance and say that all the people who said "Sunderland have sacked Di Canio + we're playing shite + Southampton beat us last week, therefore we're going to get twatted or draw" were soft c*nts and all the people who said "we're going to twat them" were visionaries?

When are people going to learn that borderline arrogance of supporters, or just plain old unadulterated optimism, is going to have no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the game. NONE WHATSOEVER. Pretty much the same effect as feint belief or downright pessimism then. Except one maes me feel happier than the others.

We're going to twat these c*nts and send that cider swilling bumpkin Wurzels' groupie twat back down to London wishing he'd bought a couple of decent players in the summer rather than waste all his money on a brand new combine harvester.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #107 on: October 2, 2013, 07:50:05 pm »

In all honesty, this has been going on for years against the lesser teams.  Even in 2009 under Benitez, we lost against Spurs and Boro.  Spurs were bottom of the league and whilst admittedly we dicked them in the first half, we lost against two shite teams.  One of who that season got relegated.

If we are ever to challenge for the league title (or on a lesser front - top 4) we must have the mentality to be expected to 'twat' teams like Palace.  Then, if they do grab a draw or a win, we can be shocked.  It's about the club commanding the right to be expected to 'twat' Palace and then continuing the mentality on the pitch to actually do it.  How many were actually shocked at the Southampton result?  Disappointed? Yes.  Shocked?  Seen too many over the last 20 years.

Many of the games that we have lost have been due to us looking like we've turned up thinking we had the 3 points in the bag.  You can say all you want about 4 centre halves playing etc etc versus Southampton, the reality is that nobody was at the races that day for whatever reason.  We had a bad day possibly down to a badly focused approach and tactics but how many bad days would a team jostling for a top four place have?

If we go at Palace with the right approach - we will win - irrespective of what Palace do

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #108 on: October 2, 2013, 07:51:36 pm »
We're going to twat these c*nts and send that cider swilling bumpkin Wurzels' groupie twat back down to London wishing he'd bought a couple of decent players in the summer rather than waste all his money on a brand new combine harvester.

:D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #109 on: October 2, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
I think that we may deviate from the 3-CB formation because Lucas is banned. We need more bodies in MF and I can see Henderson going there with Wisdom playing RB. If we do persist with the new formation though, it will be a clear indication of what Rodgers plans for the future.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline paulred71

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: October 2, 2013, 09:16:38 pm »
Would like to see Kelly getting some game time at RB with Toure and Sakho CB's and Enrique LB.

Henderson will move central to partner Gerrard in midfield, I'd like to c sterling start wide right Moses wide left Suarez playing behind Sturridge

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 2, 2013, 09:38:24 pm »
Slight difference between now and the Southampton game of course is that Suarez will play.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #112 on: October 2, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »
Slight difference between now and the Southampton game of course is that Suarez will play.
And Southampton are a much much better team
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 2, 2013, 10:44:37 pm »
You couldn't get more of a banker victory than this. Should win this by a minimum 2 goals. Hoping we can win by 3 or 4 though.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #114 on: October 2, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »
More nervous ahead of home games than away games these days.

Take nothing for granted.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 2, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »
More nervous ahead of home games than away games these days.

Take nothing for granted.

Other than 4-0 to the redmen

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 3, 2013, 12:29:22 am »
Was going out with a girl from Croydon in 1990 when they beat us in the cup. She rang me straight after the game to take the piss

Then a couple of weeks later she finished with me.

IF YOUR READING THIS EMMA I HOPE WE STUFF YOU 10-0
Must have been some piece of ass for you to still be holding a grudge.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #117 on: October 3, 2013, 12:49:53 am »
If we keep it together we'll get 3 points from this. Very excited to see Suarez again, as well as the fantastic back-line!

By who? I predicted 3rd place as early as last season :D

When Mignolet saved the penalty I thought we'd make top 4. It was the best omen ever, and an indication of what we've become.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #118 on: October 3, 2013, 01:58:25 am »
wE iz gonna' win 'undred nil n STuff  :wave

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #119 on: October 3, 2013, 02:18:45 am »
I agree wih most of what has been written on this thread although I have'nt read most of it, but basically we're going to twat them.