Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00  (Read 56305 times)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00
« Reply #120 on: October 3, 2013, 02:21:39 am »
More nervous ahead of home games than away games these days.

Take nothing for granted.

I agree. Fucking Holloway seems to have it over us. Still think we'll be okay.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 3, 2013, 02:25:29 am »
wE iz gonna' win 'undred nil n STuff  :wave

dis boi b spikin sum sense.

Offline mick_travis

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: October 3, 2013, 02:27:39 am »
I was very confident about this game until i checked out paddypower betting odds - gave liverpool 500-1 for a
9-0 win but also gave palace 500-1 for a 9-0 win, shit i am convinced it will turn out a draw !!

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #123 on: October 3, 2013, 02:36:16 am »
wE iz gonna' win 'undred nil n STuff  :wave

Welcome to RAWK, Andre.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #124 on: October 3, 2013, 02:44:40 am »
Suarez to score 4 and be a joint top scorer with Sturridge, who will score his mandatory 1.
Otherwise I will be disappointed and will turn to drinking.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: October 3, 2013, 02:51:43 am »

Four wins in six would suggest that we ARE consistent.

But do you really think we have been consistent? I haven't watched every match, but we dominated stoke, were practical against villa, barely hung on against Swansea, played well at manu, were poor against Southampton, and were deadly but hardly in control against Sunderland
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 3, 2013, 05:28:47 am »
But do you really think we have been consistent? I haven't watched every match, but we dominated stoke, were practical against villa, barely hung on against Swansea, played well at manu, were poor against Southampton, and were deadly but hardly in control against Sunderland
I think that is a fair summary.

We have yet to really convince but have quality up front. I think we need to be judged when we have more options off the bench as at the moment there is nothing there.

Add in Johnson, Cissokho, Allen and Coutinho and we will look an awful lot stronger in the second half of games when we are bringing on real strength from the bench, especially into the centre of the park.

The player that most allows us to control a game is Coutinho, he is the player who can sit on  a ball, hold it, knit things together and dictate the pace we play at. I want to see him behind the two boys up front with an option to replace Gerrard AND Lucas from the bench.

As for Saturday. We should win but I wouldn't be ridiculously surprised if we didn't. I think we remain fragile and without Lucas and Allen in the middle of the park I worry about us dictating the game. Palace at 16-1 would be a well priced saver for a depressing Saturday night.

Offline modokay

• Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: October 3, 2013, 05:53:24 am »
There's no chance of this happening but I'd love to see McLaughlin on the right wing instead of Henderson.
That is if we continue playing 5-3-2.
The young Irishman would have Touré behind him and there would be less pressure on him.

--------------------------Mignolet

-------------Touré--------Skrtel-------Sakho

McLaughlin-----------------------------------------Enrique

-------------------Gerrard--------Henderson

----------------------------Moses

---------------Sturridge-----------Suarez

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 3, 2013, 06:59:18 am »
I think that we may deviate from the 3-CB formation because Lucas is banned. We need more bodies in MF and I can see Henderson going there with Wisdom playing RB. If we do persist with the new formation though, it will be a clear indication of what Rodgers plans for the future.

It will be foolish in my opinion to change the formation again specially when the players have just started to settle with it. It would be better if we continue to improve our understanding become more fluid.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 3, 2013, 07:00:18 am »
There's no chance of this happening but I'd love to see McLaughlin on the right wing instead of Henderson.
The young Irishman would have Touré behind him and there would be less pressure on him.
It's not 5-3-2. It's 3-4-1-2, hell a lot of difference between the two.

Offline macmanaman

• doo doo dedoo doo
  • Kopite
  • Rafalution
« Reply #130 on: October 3, 2013, 07:04:46 am »
Early goal is so important for this game. If we score within the first 15 then it would be a walk, the longer it takes us to score, the more nervous we become.
Personally, I would take any kind of win to be honest.

Offline modokay

• Anny Roader
« Reply #131 on: October 3, 2013, 07:16:18 am »
It's not 5-3-2. It's 3-4-1-2, hell a lot of difference between the two.
Semantics.

With Johnson in the line up, we'd have 5 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers. 5-3-2.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 3, 2013, 07:17:43 am »
Would like to see us go :
                       Gk
          RB     CB    CB   LB
              Gerrard  Hendo
      Moses   Suarez    Aspas
                  Strurridge

It is a very attacking lineup........but i guess if there is a game to go with an attacking lineup, this is the one.

This also could be the game where Aspas can finally break his duck for us in the league.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #133 on: October 3, 2013, 07:25:31 am »

Yeah what's happened to McLaughlin? A while back I was almost certain he'd be at a similar stage of his development as Ibe is by now (i.e breaking into the first team set up, regularly making match day squads etc.), but he seems to have stalled a bit.

Maybe another one who needs a loan?
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #134 on: October 3, 2013, 07:54:00 am »

Would have loved to see Allen/Gerrard in that no. 10 role. Although, don't think Allen is fit.
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #135 on: October 3, 2013, 09:08:18 am »
No easy games in this league but this is the closest thing to one. We are a much better team than these in every area and should really be beating them.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 3, 2013, 09:14:15 am »
From the little I've seen, Palace like farting about with the ball at the back almost as much as us. We should play a high line and press them right up the pitch, much like teams are doing against us.

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #137 on: October 3, 2013, 09:17:44 am »
I'd like a double figure difference in goals for us (before half time).

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 3, 2013, 10:22:44 am »
Any penalties for us, let Aldo on the pitch to take them.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline LoubySoho

• Main Stander
« Reply #139 on: October 3, 2013, 10:43:48 am »
Probably not a popular opinion but Agger should be brought back in either playing in place of Skrtel in a back 3 or with Sakho in a back 2. It needs to be tested so why not on saturday. I know skrtel has been playing well but I'm not that convinced we let Sunderland have about 100 shots on goal and gave away about 87 corners.

Despite what people say barring Southampton Agger hasnt been that bad and has helped keep 3 clean sheets

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 3, 2013, 10:46:11 am »
Probably not a popular opinion but Agger should be brought back in either playing in place of Skrtel in a back 3 or with Sakho in a back 2. It needs to be tested so why not on saturday. I know skrtel has been playing well but I'm not that convinced we let Sunderland have about 100 shots on goal and gave away about 87 corners.

Despite what people say barring Southampton Agger hasnt been that bad and has helped keep 3 clean sheets

I'd say most people would probably say Agger comes in for Skrtel and Sakho plays in the middle with Agger on the left.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #141 on: October 3, 2013, 11:27:03 am »
As someone has already said, for some reason I feel a lot more confident playing away rather than at home.

Assuming you agree, what factors do people think contribute to this?

Does the quality of our performances increase away from home? Or do teams seem to perform differently when they come to Anfield?
-YNWA-

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 3, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
Stretch the play more, which creates more space for our special players. Don't under stand Moses behind both Sturridge and Suarez. Suarez should play that role.

Get an extra man in midfield and control the play I'd playing 3 centrebacks.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: October 3, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
As someone has already said, for some reason I feel a lot more confident playing away rather than at home.

Assuming you agree, what factors do people think contribute to this?

Does the quality of our performances increase away from home? Or do teams seem to perform differently when they come to Anfield?

I think smaller teams step their game up when they come to Anfield. They'll be motivated by the many defeats we've suffered at home to the smaller teams over the last couple of years, for example, Southampton, Aston Villa, West Brom, Blackpool, Fulham, Northampton, etc.

They see it as a game where getting points is realistic, and thus, go for it.

The sooner we can turn Anfield back into a fortress, the better.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #144 on: October 3, 2013, 12:09:15 pm »
People far too confident for my liking. You'd think we've never seen a 'poor' team come to Anfield, park the bus and do us with a dodgy set piece before

Offline PAC-MAN

• 'Hanging on the telephone - you're our number one'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 3, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »
They are as bad a team as I have ever seen in the top flight. I'm looking for another 9-0 to be honest
Can't stand the left-wing lunatics

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 3, 2013, 12:18:54 pm »
A win..a bigge'...how big...8-0...did you hear me..I said 8-0...that's more than half a dozen....no chance..

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 3, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
This game should be made for our 3-5-2. They play up the middle, play some long balls, and their only real crosser is Puncheon. Chamakh could be a danger for aerial balls, but I think the back three can more than handle that. They've only scored 4 goals in the league, and one of those came from a defender - and only 2 goals came from open play. We should be looking at a clean sheet in this game, and probably another three goals. Possibly a Suarez hat trick. If we score 2 goals early enough, it could end up at 4. Henderson in midfield for Lucas, and one of Kelly/Wisdom/Sterling/Moses at Right Wing Back, I think. Everything else to stay the same.

I like the idea of using Sterling at the right wing-back position for this game. Also, if the result is going our way, I would love to see Alberto introduced for Moses at the the No.10 position in the 2nd half. Aspas should also get some playing time at the forward positions, with one of Suarez/Sturridge rested in the 2nd half.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline a glass of wine Sir?

• Kopite
  • NESV..."thank you" x
« Reply #148 on: October 3, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »
I was very confident about this game until i checked out paddypower betting odds - gave liverpool 500-1 for a
9-0 win but also gave palace 500-1 for a 9-0 win, shit i am convinced it will turn out a draw !!

a lot of thought has gone into those odds!!
Take us back to the champions league....

http://twitter.com/#!/TimGale031181

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 3, 2013, 12:50:33 pm »
I like the idea of using Sterling at the right wing-back position for this game. Also, if the result is going our way, I would love to see Alberto introduced for Moses at the the No.10 position in the 2nd half. Aspas should also get some playing time at the forward positions, with one of Suarez/Sturridge rested in the 2nd half.

No chance in hell of Suarez being rested, he doesn't need it. Agree on Sturridge though, if we have a comfortable game for once he'd be the first player I'd take off after his recent injuries and a likely trip away with England.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 3, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
We should play an attacking team and really put the pressure on them. The lineup stays more or less the same but I'm not averse to a few players getting a rest -

Mig
             Toure Sakho
Kelly?                           Enrique
           Gerrard Hendo

Moses       Suarez       Sterling
                Aspas
There's plenty of pace and power there. Aspas needs minutes and goals, and it won't come easier. Sterling and Moses give us width and pace with the options to cut inside and bring Kelly and Enrique in the game, as well as being reasonably good at tracking back and helping the midfield. Hope Alberto gets a run out during the game too. BR has got to utilise the squad, and try to improve the form of some of the fringe players, so we can cope when the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge get injuries etc.

I'm hoping for a comfortable, confident performance and the 3 points. The score isn't important really, but a clean sheet would be nice.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 3, 2013, 01:20:31 pm »
games is on Setanta Ireland....sometimes i wish it wasint, seem to always get beaten, last game televised - Southampton

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 3, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
Its a toss up between Sunderland and Palace who is the worst team, yet we made hard work of the Sunderland game at times. Also Holloway I think is underrated as a manager because of his sound-bites and he has a good record against us. I still think we will win, they are no where near Southampton, but all this talk of scoring early and often is ridiculous complacency.

If we play 3-4-1-2 again I think it signals that formation is here for the long term. The other possibility is that BR is using it to bed in Sakho, in which case it has worked a treat IMO.

Assuming 3-4-1-2:

Mignolet

Toure     Skrtel    Sakho

Wisdom  Gerrard  Hendo    Enrique

Moses

Sturridge  Suarez

Personally I would be adventurous and try Sterling at RWB and if ever Sturridge was going to get a rest in favour of Aspas, this is the game. I would also get Agger in for Skrtel asap, but I assume hes still injured. But I think this is what BR will play.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #153 on: October 3, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »
I can't believe anyone on here is suggesting changes to the side that beat Sunderland, other than those required due to injury and suspension.  It's barmy - there is no room for experimenting and underestimating teams in the Premiership and there is also no need to rest anyone ahead of midweek games.

So, for me, it's simple.  We play the strongest available team.  End of sory.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #154 on: October 3, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
Alberto to replace Lucas, thats it. The players are just getting settled and linking up better, best to keep changes to a minimum.
Doubters to Believers

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 3, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »
Alberto to replace Lucas, thats it. The players are just getting settled and linking up better, best to keep changes to a minimum.

Replace our only real DM with a AM who is not ready for first team action yet even as an AM?

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 3, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »
Replace our only real DM with a AM who is not ready for first team action yet even as an AM?

It's not that odd though. With 3 at the back, we don't need a defensive midfielder specially at home to a bottom side. I'm not underestimating Palace but 3 at the back should be sufficient cover for this game. Having said that, Henderson seems the more logical option and looks most likely to replace Lucas at this stage. Also, we don't need to over attack. We've slipped up too many times in recent years against weaker teams at home by going for the kill right from the kick off. We should Just keep it nice and simple and make sure Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge see lot of the ball.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #157 on: October 3, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Would personally shy away from 3 at the back for this as don't think it is needed.

Play Toure and Sakho at CBs with Kelly (if fit) and Enrique at full backs. Gerrard and Henderson in CM with Suarez ahead behind Sturridge.

The play Moses from the left and possibly Sterling from the right.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 3, 2013, 03:35:51 pm »
Hope to god we don't start the game with 3 central defenders and 2 full backs at home against Palace a side who has registered 1 away goal this season. If we are in the mode of experimenting where 3 central defenders can be useful in certain games then hopefully we can throw more bodies into attack at home against teams that look a little light. On that note something like the below be nice

..............Mignolet
Kelly Skrtel Toure Enrique
..........SG
..............Henderson
Sterling..................Moses
......Sturridge Suarez
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #159 on: October 3, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »
Hope to god we don't start the game with 3 central defenders and 2 full backs at home against Palace a side who has registered 1 away goal this season. If we are in the mode of experimenting where 3 central defenders can be useful in certain games then hopefully we can throw more bodies into attack at home against teams that look a little light. On that note something like the below be nice

..............Mignolet
Kelly Skrtel Toure Enrique
..........SG
..............Henderson
Sterling..................Moses
......Sturridge Suarez

There are two problems here though.

Firstly, you're assuming that three defenders is defensive. It's not. Where we set our restraining line is what makes us defensive or attacking. So a back three at home can be incredibly attacking as long as we push it up to the halfway line and hold it there

Secondly, your line-up leaves out Sakho, who has been excellent, and puts Toure on his left side, when we potentially have two left sided central defenders in Sakho and Agger available. But Skrtel has been playing well, so doesn't deserve to be dropped, while Toure has also been playing well, and doesn't deserve to be dropped either. So it's a harsh decision if Rodgers drops any of those to accommodate a back four. Kelly needs match sharpness, and might be more exposed in a back four than in a back three where he was support behind him without losing numbers in the middle. So it's a tough call for Rodgers, but if he lines up with a back three, it makes a lot of sense. Doing so would not be a sign of anything other than having three good on-form defenders, so if he does that, I hope people have the patience to see how the game transpires before judging it.
Better looking than Samie.