Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Sunderland v Liverpool Sunday 29th K.O.16:00  (Read 62440 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Preview: Sunderland v Liverpool Sunday 29th K.O.16:00
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »
A week of reality checks, one draw, two narrow losses and lets hope the start to the season isn't mirroring itself..
The defeat to S'oton felt harder than the Utd one, the League Cup isn't the worst cup to be chucked out, but the manner of the two defeats: sloppy defending and set piece ruin is frustrating and something we need to address.

Meanwhile its cheerio Mr Canio, no great loss to British Football in my humble opinion. A tacit fascist, he seems to have been hoisted by the very players he tore a strip off. Black Cats to Black Shirts maybe, but Sunderland have seemed fallen in and out of love with Paulo very quickly.

How does that affect us? Well there will doubtless be a better attitude in their dressing room, and we've had mixed fortunes at the Stadium of Light in recent years from #beachballgate to Steve Bruce's #beachballhead.

By most accounts, Brendan Rodgers didn't do the team justice with his selection last week, but as ever, with this season, the margins are where we sail closest to.

So how we will play, who will we play and what do you think should be BR's team talk against a team that effectively will be mangerless come Sunday (with due respect to Kevin Ball who mustered a good win in the League Cup)?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:53:50 pm by Hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Preview: Sunderland v Liverpool Sunday 29th K.O.16:00
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »
We'll need a right back playing right back - Giaccherini can be a real handful. Their forward line boasts nothing of any concern outside of Steven Fletcher, a man who is either sat in the treatment room or scoring headers from four yards out. If we can keep the two of them quiet (if they're both available, of course), then we should have no issues keeping a clean sheet.

It could be the perfect time to see what Sakho's like as a left-sided centre back, hopefully alongside Toure, and with actual full backs either side of them. Aah, full backs... remember when we had loads of them? Like, about 42 of the blighters? Yeah, we don't have a single fully fit one now.

Johnson, as ever, will be a big miss at right back - although with Kelly back in the squad for the midweek United game, then perhaps he'll be fit enough to give a solid 60 minutes there on Sunday (even if he's advised not to go forwards too often, his positioning and ability to manipulate his body shape when defending 1v1 out wide will be a massive bonus, and certainly a better option than playing a centre back out there).

The big question for me is in the centre of midfield. Gerrard and Lucas can work very well together when we play against teams that sit back and let them have the ball. However, as we've seen against Southampton the last two times we've played, as soon as teams press us high, they're not mobile enough to provide suitable passing lanes to the defenders, and Gerrard isn't disciplined enough not to go for the Hollywood ball 2 times out of every 5. The other side of it is that in a high pressing system, which Rodgers clearly would prefer us to play, neither midfielder has the legs to press high, recover, press high, recover, ad finitum for any more than half a game. It has to be a massive worry for the coaching staff, as they don't seem to trust Henderson to do that job, and Allen isn't fit. For me, the short-term option would be to push Gerrard to the tip of the triangle, and bring Henderson in alongside Lucas. From an attacking point of view, the CMs would have an easy (and quality) option of a ball forwards to a dangerous player in a dangerous area, which Coutinho has been providing since he joined, and from a defensive standpoint it can work too - Gerrard's role becomes simply to shadow Sunderland's deepest midfielder and negate their passing lanes to him, which will force the longer pass into more advanced players. This could work to our advantage, as Lucas is excellent at reading those 20-25 yard passes in to feet and intercepting them, and whilst Henderson doesn't possess the same nouse, he does have the energy and mobility to put immediate pressure on the receiving player.

Looking at the attacking area, it's fairly simple - Moses, Suarez, plus one other. Hopefully, we can afford to rest Sturridge, and hopefully we can afford to not replace him with Aspas, who looks like a boy playing against men at the moment. I'd like to see Sterling given a start, although he's not necessarily playing too well either at the moment, but it's going to be easier for him to be part of the team and build his way into the game than being asked to come on with 15 minutes left and alter the course of a match.

Sunderland's back four is poor - really poor. Mobility will kill them. Moses, Suarez, and Sterling, being fed by Gerrard, would be great against these.

If we turn up for 90 minutes, then realistically anything less than a comfortable win shouldn't be acceptable. Sunderland really are that shite at the moment.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »
bump. Please, no posts just containing formations/teams. Persistent offenders will be muted. Thanks.
Yep.

Offline Rufus Bullimore

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:50 pm »
They haven't won a league game this season. Here we go...

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:34 pm »
Must fucking win this. 3 on the bounce without a win, could turn to 4. Not what we need at all.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »
Steven Fletcher is out with a dislocated shoulder, no Borini for them either. With no attacking options for them and the defence being shambles I see Suarez and Sturridge having a field day.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:17:19 pm »
Steven Fletcher is out with a dislocated shoulder, no Borini for them either. With no attacking options for them and the defence being shambles I see Suarez and Sturridge having a field day.

We hope.

They gave Arsenal a tough time for a bit when they played them. Don't think we should count our chickens just yet.

Offline Thebootroom

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »
Maybe we should insist Borini plays  ::)

.... Anyway, 3 points is a must - anything less and our decent start will count for absolutely nothing.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:23:02 pm »
Maybe we should insist Borini plays  ::)

.... Anyway, 3 points is a must - anything less and our decent start will count for absolutely nothing.

I think our start is a bit better than decent to be honest considering what the rest of the league have done.

3 points and I think we'll get them don't care how we do it.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »
Need to get back on track don't we? Bloody irritating that they sacked him before our game. We're going to be up against a buoyed side. No doubt about that.

Go out for a win, die by your sword type match. We win this, we can still think about this season. Lose it, and we start thinking about the next one. I don't want to be doing that.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »
No excuses, we should really be steam-rolling these. If Allen is fit for this I would probably start him.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:50 pm »
Must win is a strong phrase, but god we really need to win this. We can't be dropping points against shite like Sunderland.

Plus we'll be back in the top 4 with a win and with Crystal Palace after this, we've got a great chance to get back to back victories, if we were to win on Sunday. That will leave us in a very good position and feeling very positive again, going into the international break.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:21 am »
While we lost tonight there was a lot more about us in general. We didn't get the bounce of the ball tonight. I think the X-factor vs Sunnerland is going to be confidence and momentum. We are a bit stuttering and losing with some pressure mounting. They have been a shambles but ... now they have a game where there is nothing to lose and at home the crowd would go wild were they to somehow get in front, then it could be really tricky. I can see the start being a similar type of game to tonight this weekend. Sunderland will start with whatever they have and chuck the lot at us. Assuming we dampen that down we have the quality to take control of the game and then it will come down to making and taking chances. If we score and score again we could batter them.
They don't have the coherence to press like Southampton did, they don't have a defense nor an attack of any consequence. We have better quality footballers, a proper defense (fuck ups not withstanding) and Suarez back up front. We are allover a better team. This should be 3 points and a few goals.

I cannot see how Sunderland can win unless some bad, shit, voodoo momentum goes against us. We have the technique, skill, strength, organisation and killer instinct up front. We can only lose it between our ears. Take it boys.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:28 am »
Sunderland are shit. All this bullshit about playing teams who have just sacked their manager is exactly that - bullshit.
 No excuses this weekend. Anything less than 3 points will be a fucking poor, poor return.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:04 am »
I just hope they don't have a new manager in place.

We should win this. And for top 4, despite how early it is, I think we have to.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:00 am »
Sunderland are going to be well up for this now Di Canio is gone and we need to match their intensity and work ethic.  I think the players returning from injury/suspension is just the shake up the squad needed.  If they are fit enough i would start Kelly, Agger, Allen and Suarez.  I'm not sure who for but having competition for all our starting positions again can only be good for the team.  Let's have these.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:10 am »
I hope we win it for Bill.

God bless you Shanks.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:03:59 am »
Sunderland are fucking shite. I can understand us bottling it against a 2nd string Man Utd side with it being at old Trafford but seriously no excuses here.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:56 am »
Sunderland are fucking shite. I can understand us bottling it against a 2nd string Man Utd side with it being at old Trafford but seriously no excuses here.
Seriously, what the fuck are you on about?

Bottled it, second string, no excuses here...Are you for real?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:31 am »
Massive game - we either win and get back on track, or continue to spiral down. There will be a massive backlash if we don't. Not necessarilly justifiably, but there just will.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:17 am »
Massive game - we either win and get back on track, or continue to spiral down. There will be a massive backlash if we don't. Not necessarilly justifiably, but there just will.
Yes, DAWK will have a massive backlash.

There are some right fucking backlashers in here.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:29 am »
Yes, DAWK will have a massive backlash.

There are some right fucking backlashers in here.

So what, you think that if we go 3 on the trot wthout a win or worse, lose to the worst team in the league at the moment, questions won't be asked of Rodgers and the squad?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:31 am »
So what, you think that if we go 3 on the trot wthout a win or worse, lose to the worst team in the league at the moment, questions won't be asked of Rodgers and the squad?

Questions are being asked of the squad already.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:51 am »
No more fannying about at the back - play four, and play actual FBs, I don't care if it's Kelly, Flanagan or McLaughlin. Preferably play Sakho and Toure at CB.

Put Henderson in the middle and stop shunting him to RM/RB/WB where his tireless energy and pressing is largely wasted. Move Gerrard elsewhere or preferably rest him. Play one of Alberto/Allen (if fit) and hope we can actually maintain some decent possession and ball retention.

Rest Sturridge who is running on fumes and is pretty useless at the moment as a result. Start Suarez up front flanked by Moses and a.n. other - Sterling has flattered to deceive all season, maybe it's Ibe's turn.

Finally, tell the players than anyone who fails to track his man on set-pieces will be docked a week's wages.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:56 am »

And thats a backlash?

Do you not think we(the staff and players) will be asking questions of themselves?.. Let alone an internet forum ordaining itself as the barometer of what should and shouldn't happen with the team.

Discuss it yes - but don't think for one minute that what is thought of in here, or any internet site come to that, matters in the slightest.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 01:16:26 am »
Questions are being asked of the squad already.
Who by?

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 01:17:03 am »
Think it may be a 0-0 game to be honest. Battle of two turgid midfields. Our attacking movement is rubbish at the moment but they are fucking shit so unless we give away a corner I can't see them threatening that much.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:40 am »

are you high?

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 01:22:37 am »
Who by?

Some people on here were complaining after winning 3 straight 1 nils at the start of the season.  It's what they do.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:35 am »
And thats a backlash?

Do you not think we(the staff and players) will be asking questions of themselves?.. Let alone an internet forum ordaining itself as the barometer of what should and shouldn't happen with the team.

Discuss it yes - but don't think for one minute that what is thought of in here, or any internet site come to that, matters in the slightest.

Then in that respect not one of your 33,028 posts or my 2,442 mean sod all. You're right, what someone says on an internet forum matters not in the slightest. But in that respect, as someone who enjoys this forum though I shudder to think at what this place will be like if we lose. Yes, I can avoid it but like I said, I enjoy being here and get really discouraged at some of our fanbase after a few bad results.

However, what does matter is the inevitable media shitstorm that will result. You'll have Sky and all the rest questioning the manager, the team, the tactics, etc if we get a negative result and you might say that it will go in one ear and out the other for the players and staff but it can't do their confidence any good reading negative things out there in public. That's why I feel it's a massive game and one which we must win. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:27:14 am by Caligula? »

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 10:19:09 am »

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 10:42:17 am »
Glad it's only a few days away rather than a weeks wait, although with the fitness levels that have been shown maybe it's not great for the team. I assume they'd play altidore up front, and at the beginning of the season i thought he'd be a good signing, but he hasn't adapted so far. I also would have been worried about his physicality as he's quite a strong striker, but with kolo and sakho there i'm less inclined to now.

I'm not sure where giaccherini plays whether it's out wide or behind the striker but i think he's a good player, and could easily pop up with a goal so we'd need lucas to do a job on him. Also the same case for enrique and johnson who although inconsistent can be a good player on his day.

In terms of who we play i'd play the same team, although i would have liked to see either gerrard or lucas rested, preferably gerrard but that won't happen. I would certainly swap moses and henderson around however, and perhaps even play sterling at the right wing back spot, who was great there for the under 21's last week.

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:07 am »
Im saying this for about 2 weeks and im going to say it again.. if we concede first, we won't win

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 10:50:40 am »
If the starting formation is going to be 3-5-2 I'd start Luis Alberto over Moses.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 10:52:59 am »
In a word, apprehensive.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 10:57:18 am »
Sunderland are a mess at present. They've lost 3 straight and conceded 3 per game. They are manager less and arguably their key player is injured. We should win this if we play with positivity and energy.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 11:05:14 am »
It's all about positivity and mental strength.  Come out of the blocks firing, don't let it get us down if we don't score early. We are far better than this team but we need to ensure our own lack of confidence doesn't beat us.

3-5-2 seems worthy of sticking with.  While we lost last night, I actually thought we were pretty much in control until that bloody corner.  Would like to see Alberto get a start, but I don't think that's likely in an away match. Rodgers may want his first start to be at home.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 11:17:03 am »
And thats a backlash?

If we lose I'm going to send Brendan a quite strongly written letter.

If that doesn't work I shall go and stand outside Melwood and 'tut' my disapproval as he drives into work.

He'll know I'm not best pleased for sure, let's see how he reacts to that !!!!!
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 11:20:59 am »
Sunderland are a mess at present. They've lost 3 straight and conceded 3 per game. They are manager less and arguably their key player is injured. We should win this if we play with positivity and energy.

We WILL win if we continue in the same vein as last night.

The team needs to start the game confident they will get the job done. The longer the game goes without us scoring the nervier we will get.

I'm sure the boys know they haven't performed second half.

We desperately need BR to play players in their comfortable positions, no more square pegs, even if it means a slight downgrade in perceived quality.

Funny how 1 game last night has shifted focus from Moyes to Rodgers.
 ::)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:03 am »
Really looking forward to this as I'm sure we are capable of getting the 3 points. Now that Suarez is back our attacking game will look better no doubt, the question is who will provide for him and Sturridge, because lots of people in here including myself think that Alberto can be a good option but besides him I don't know who can provide them with balls. Maybe Gerrard but BR wants him in CM with Lucas and that's really limiting him attacking wise.

I wouldn't mind starting with Skrtel Sakho and Toure as a 3 CB lineup like we did yesterday I thought we looked stable as the game kept on going just need to practice this more obviously.

The key for me for this game is what will BR do to overcome our two main problems which are the lack of attacking support from the full backs, and the lack of presence we have in midfield.