Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool FC vs Manchester United (Sun 1st Sept, 1.30pm)  (Read 91507 times)

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool FC vs Manchester United (Sun 1st Sept, 1.30pm)
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:37 am »
Strange we've had no official word on the injuries to Allen and Cissoko.

Echo saying Toure might make Sunday but does anyone know how long the other two will be out?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:39 am »
Harinder. You.Are.A.Joker! Balle Balle with that preview!

For me, united have a good defence, im surprised people dont agree here. They have pace all over the pitch and they are very direct. If we counter attack them, they may be able to thwart us. Key players for me are Carrick and Henderson. I'd imagine Henderson will be told to stick on Carrick, most of their attacks start through them. I dont think Uniteds defence are "football playing" any more.

Van Persie is definitely their biggest threat. Got to be close to him too, if we arent doing a good job on Carrick. Cleverley and Welbeck will run and run but if we can stifle them they wont be too much threat.

My fear is who will replace Toure. he has provided a good solid foundation for this team and his leadership skills will be evident. Play seemed to go through him more than the more ball-playing cb Agger. Skrtel or Wisdom? Skrtel has a good understanding with Agger, but hasnt played with Mignolet much. Is this a risk? He has a lot to prove though.

Overall, i think this game will be won in the centre of the park, big performance needed from Gerrard and Henderson.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2013, 12:10:09 pm »
'If football doesn't move us to care or scream or hate then why bother?'

As the old rivalry fires up again on Sunday, we asked Nooruddean Choudry, better known as Twitter's Bearded Genius, what it means to the fans

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fans-view-liverpool-vs-man-2238026

He runs half the length of the pitch before letting rip with a screamer just outside the area. It flashes past the keeper into the net and the away stand erupts.

Cameramen are on strike so there's no television audience. The goal remains unseen for a generation, but for those who witness it at the game. It is spoken about for years afterwards in almost mythical terms.

April 4, 1988: United are losing 3-1 away from home. They're down to ten men following a sending off and are being overrun in midfield. Norman Whiteside enters the fray and within seconds has planted a firm eight-studded hello onto the left shin of the opposition hard man. United mount a stirring comeback with Robson and Strachan providing the goals. Yet it's Big Norm's grand entrance and subsequent bossing of the game that endures in Mancunian folklore.

Neither of those instances or matches are of particular note or recollection to the outside world, but to Mancs and Scousers they resonate to this day. Not only because one was a stunning strike and the other a heroic comeback, but due to the fact they came against the enemy.

There's a hatred that fuels the joy and makes each small victory delicious. It's a mutual contempt that's as old as dinosaur sex (or at least the Manchester Ship Canal) and it simmers and boils within everyone complicit in a quarrel that has dominated the North for generations.

Not everyone would have it this way. Hypocrisy reigns in the haughty words of commentators who wish to sanitise our game and carve from it any element of tribalism. They’ll blabber on about the ‘Olympic spirit’ and what football supporters can learn from montage friendly Team GB-ers.

Yet they’ll happily scribe a paper forest on the theatre of El Classico or the ferocious nature of foreign derbies from Buenos Aires to Belgrade. Such passions abroad titillate their hipster sensibilities, yet they fear a local rage they can neither fathom nor control.

In our ridiculously over hyped HD era where every Sunday is super and each game somehow unmissable and season-defining, Manchester United versus Liverpool is real. It requires no forced narrative or manufactured grudge to sell subscriptions or improve circulation.

It’s pulsating anger and joy that courses through the veins of each man and woman born into it. Don’t lose. Don’t make Monday hell. Non-believers pray till their hands don’t close and even the most temperate lose their rag.

Of course, as with anything felt so raw and true, things can get out of hand and bleed into unpleasantness. Ghosts and tragedies are sometimes evoked in a way they shouldn't be. It’s unnecessary and a lid needs to be kept on such behaviour.

Football is never a matter of life and death, not that I for one second believe Shankly was being completely literal in his enigmatic statement. It is however vital to the existence of many and mustn't be distilled or sterilised into a retail ready commodity. Something to flog at the megastore.

Is all that we've become just nothing but hats and bags? An artificial atmosphere of half-half scarves and plastic flags? You can keep your mosaics. The hate is good, and it’s healthy. It’s based on something more than revenue generation or marketing speak.

If football doesn't move us to care or scream or hate then why bother? Whatever the outcome of Sunday’s game both sets of supporters will have visited the extremes of sporting emotion. In the afterglow of rapture they’ll have known love and hate. And the latter is just as vital as the former.

There is of course a begrudging subtext of respect. We hate you because you matter. We revel in your misery and spit on your name because you've earned our contempt. For a shared history and glorious past that fortunes cannot acquire.

But the resentment and ill feeling between Manc and Scouse must always be there. Give me a century of sleep before we give in to chummy indifference and hollow Soccer AM style banter.

Lovejoy? Nah, viva hate.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »
It will be tight in the first half with little to choose. Think we will nick one early in the 2nd half then come under seige, then get a breakaway 2 mins from time to seal a 2-0 win.....or the ref will send off Mignolet for very little, give them a Pen and we'll get beat 0-1...wouldn't put in past him...who is the ref anyway.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »
Rodgers

Toure Injury is nowhere near as bad as we thought. We will assess over next 24 - 48 hours. Excellent recovery. We'll see...

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »
What a difference a week makes. Rodgers is laughing an joking through his press conference.  Last week it was all doom and gloom.

Hahahaha

Reporter - did you ever have any contact or memories of Shankly?
Rodgers - Errr... I'm only 40.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:20:16 pm by helmboy_nige »

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »
We have the chance on Sunday to be the catalyst for Moyes' demise as their boss.

I sincerely hope we take it. I shit you not ladies and gentlemen, Sunday marks a watershed in their and our season. We win, we go 3 in 3 and top of the league, their performance on Monday looks even more like the Moyes debacle it truly was, and knives from Salford to Sly Sports shiny studios will be sharpening to plunge into Golom's back.

We lose, Moyes overcomes a massive mental block, they overtake us in the league, Rodgers still can't beat a top team and our squad looks as threadbare as it has in decades.

The risks and rewards for this game are cataclysmic, there must be no tackle shirked, no chance wasted, no pressure not applied. Gerrard must be at his brilliant best, Sturridge must be viciously clinical, Coutinho must be mercurial and majestic. Our defence must be vigilant against the RVP threat (for he is their only threat), and Shrek must be teased and wound up to the point where he continues to play like the selfish bastid he is and probably gets sent off.

The crowd must be raucous, the hatred must seep into every one of their players before they've kicked a ball. They must know before they even come out of the tunnel that now is the time we draw our line, now is the time we tell them we're back. For too long they've got away with murder under the drunkard's stewardship. Now under this trophyless ninny (the Charity Shield doesn't count, he even said it himself) they are just a normal away team coming to Anfield ready to have 3 points plucked from their limp and soulless branches.

It's our time now. From Mignolet to Aspas, every one of our new signings must understand what it means to play for this club. No longer second best, no longer European outcasts, but a sleeping giant fed up of having it's nose tickled and ready to unleash a full torrent of its power onto anyone who stands in its way.

It's Shock and Awe time people.

Move out of the way Manchester United. Or be destroyed.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:44 pm »
Rousing stuff...this could get serious....time to unleash Borini...United defense get ready to be mauled by a dead sheep..

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »
Rousing stuff...this could get serious....time to unleash Borini...United defense get ready to be mauled by a dead sheep..

Id be shocked if he played more than half hour

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2013, 02:53:54 pm »

Echo saying Toure might make Sunday but does anyone know how long the other two will be out?

And give United an insight into what they might face?

I'd keep them guessing right up until the team sheet is announced to be honest.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2013, 02:54:27 pm »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2013, 02:58:36 pm »

Rodgers on Toure: Injury is nowhere near as bad as we thought. We will assess over next 24 - 48 hours. Excellent recovery. We'll see...

Rodgers on Allen: Likewise, doubtful for weekend but fine after international weekend.

Rodgers on Cissokho: Out for 4 to 6 weeks. On crutches.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2013, 03:10:27 pm »
I'd draft Sterling in his Aspas for this. I think we need to put Coutinho in the middle and allow him drift in behind Carrick as much as possible as I think he could really hurt United in that position.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2013, 03:28:14 pm »
Rodgers on Toure: Injury is nowhere near as bad as we thought. We will assess over next 24 - 48 hours. Excellent recovery. We'll see...

that's great news.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2013, 03:41:01 pm »
It's going to be very interesting as to how Rodgers goes about playing this game. I think Utd will start with roughly the same line up as against Chelsea and probably a similar game plan, being a bit cautious in positioning in possession but still with enough attacking impetus from the full backs and Valencia and quality in the middle to create chances. I'm interested to see how we position our block and how much pressure we put on them in possession - we need to remain compact but at the same time we can't (and I don't think we will) allow them to dominate possession without pressure. Carrick and Cleverley will stay fairly deep but are both vulnerable on the counter and with both their full backs getting forward, our first couple of passes when we regain possession are key which is why I think we should start Coutinho in the middle - we don't want to waste counter opportunities by giving the ball away and having Coutinho in the middle to release Sturridge behind is a very key opportunity to create.

I'd love to see Sterling start as well. However we play, we can hurt them on the counter with pace and mobility and so I would start Sterling on the right and Henderson on the left to help defend Valencia on that side.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:50 pm »
Do believe if Toure does manage to play this game, it'll say everything about BR's faith in Skrtel. If he had a defender in his ranks he could trust, Toure wouldn't be risked. We'll see what happens. :)

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2013, 03:55:09 pm »
The Toure news will obvisously keep the Mancs guessing about our team  ;D
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »
Let's leave tactics, team selection, injury worries to the manager and the game itself to the players and focus just on supporting them.

:wave

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »
Who have we got as sub who  can pep up the midfield when we start running out of steam or get an injury?

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »
It's going to be a tough match. We still have a relatively inexperienced attack compared to their vastly experienced defence. Both are playing well but I'm slightly concerned their defences experience could sway it.

Should be a good match and I think a draw could be a good result. A loss takes the wind out of our sails, especially with an international break.

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2013, 04:33:02 pm »
First post and what a game to post on. First time since Fernando went that I have a gut feeling we will take the game this Sunday. Looked at their game last week Vidic hates pace and we have buckets of it across the middle and up front. Keeping van Persie quiet is the key. He gets frustrated if he can't get to the ball. Midfield have to keep possession and protect the centre backs for the first halve play, our way into the game.

The media are claiming Toure will play, be better but not worried about Skirtel coming back in. He's served his punishment might be the right game to sort him out. We know he is a good player, but if he plays he has to be focused for the full match. Lots of chat going on from Mignolet should help. More worried about Johnson to be honest. On form he is as good as anyone, but its either or with him, when he isn't up for it he is a danger to us in defence.Hope the new players enjoy the atmosphere, and don't get nervous.

3-1 for us Gerrard Sturridge and Coutinho - vanP penalty for them.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2013, 04:35:33 pm »
Call me negative all you want but I have a gut feeling that we're gonna take a drumming this Sunday.

Not really sure why but I'm going for a 4-1 victory to them. Really hope I'm wrong but I can see Rooney and Van Persie having a stormer.

Worried our defence won't be able to cope. Although it would take quite the performance to beat Mignolet 4 times.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2013, 04:35:52 pm »
First post and what a game to post on. First time since Fernando went that I have a gut feeling we will take the game this Sunday. Looked at their game last week Vidic hates pace and we have buckets of it across the middle and up front. Keeping van Persie quiet is the key. He gets frustrated if he can't get to the ball. Midfield have to keep possession and protect the centre backs for the first halve play, our way into the game.

The media are claiming Toure will play, be better but not worried about Skirtel coming back in. He's served his punishment might be the right game to sort him out. We know he is a good player, but if he plays he has to be focused for the full match. Lots of chat going on from Mignolet should help. More worried about Johnson to be honest. On form he is as good as anyone, but its either or with him, when he isn't up for it he is a danger to us in defence.Hope the new players enjoy the atmosphere, and don't get nervous.

3-1 for us Gerrard Sturridge and Coutinho - vanP penalty for them.

Hope you're right mate.

Feeling very optimistic but dont we every season?!

Offline freddwarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »
It's going to be a tough match. We still have a relatively inexperienced attack compared to their vastly experienced defence. Both are playing well but I'm slightly concerned their defences experience could sway it.

Should be a good match and I think a draw could be a good result. A loss takes the wind out of our sails, especially with an international break.

Think Ferdinand is getting slower by the game. Vidic isn't that quick and Evra is 32. Yes plenty of experience but age is against them. If we get at with pace they can be undone, which is why I and plenty of other want to see Sterling start.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't beat them. Even if Fergie had stayed on I think they are weaker this season. Rooney can't make his mind up, Wellbeck scores once in a bluemoon (I would play Hernandez before him). They can't rely on RVP to come up with the goods every time.

2-0 for me.

Offline freddwarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2013, 04:43:08 pm »
Call me negative all you want but I have a gut feeling that we're gonna take a drumming this Sunday.

Not really sure why but I'm going for a 4-1 victory to them. Really hope I'm wrong but I can see Rooney and Van Persie having a stormer.

Worried our defence won't be able to cope. Although it would take quite the performance to beat Mignolet 4 times.

Most negative post/comment on our chances I think I've ever seen in 50 odd years of supporting LFC

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »

Just spoiled me tea. ;D

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »
Scared of Rooney in this game, he will be firing.

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »

That's the spirit  :butt

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2013, 05:04:51 pm »

Thank fuck you're nowhere near our changing rooms.

I can't for the life of me see why anyone could be so negative about our team right now.
Plenty of positive signs - been playing some really good stuff since last Jan, plenty of team spirit & a tougher mentality displayed in our games thus far.

These games are usually tight affairs but as long as we go out there on the front foot I think Utd are there for the taking.

:wave
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2013, 05:06:08 pm »

They'll be just as scared of Sturridge & Coutinho.

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2013, 05:11:13 pm »
I hope we can keep up our pace for 90 minutes even if we're in the lead. If we fade after 60 like Villa, they'll score a few.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »
We have the chance on Sunday to be the catalyst for Moyes' demise as their boss.

I sincerely hope we take it. I shit you not ladies and gentlemen, Sunday marks a watershed in their and our season. We win, we go 3 in 3 and top of the league, their performance on Monday looks even more like the Moyes debacle it truly was, and knives from Salford to Sly Sports shiny studios will be sharpening to plunge into Golom's back.

We lose, Moyes overcomes a massive mental block, they overtake us in the league, Rodgers still can't beat a top team and our squad looks as threadbare as it has in decades.

The risks and rewards for this game are cataclysmic, there must be no tackle shirked, no chance wasted, no pressure not applied. Gerrard must be at his brilliant best, Sturridge must be viciously clinical, Coutinho must be mercurial and majestic. Our defence must be vigilant against the RVP threat (for he is their only threat), and Shrek must be teased and wound up to the point where he continues to play like the selfish bastid he is and probably gets sent off.

The crowd must be raucous, the hatred must seep into every one of their players before they've kicked a ball. They must know before they even come out of the tunnel that now is the time we draw our line, now is the time we tell them we're back. For too long they've got away with murder under the drunkard's stewardship. Now under this trophyless ninny (the Charity Shield doesn't count, he even said it himself) they are just a normal away team coming to Anfield ready to have 3 points plucked from their limp and soulless branches.

It's our time now. From Mignolet to Aspas, every one of our new signings must understand what it means to play for this club. No longer second best, no longer European outcasts, but a sleeping giant fed up of having it's nose tickled and ready to unleash a full torrent of its power onto anyone who stands in its way.

I love it. Gggrrrrr!!!!! Kill!!!!!

Offline Mogzz

• Kemlynite
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2013, 05:18:55 pm »

I watched Rooney against Chelsea and I honestly think he may be the reason we could sneak this match. There was a bunch of times he could of played RvP through on goal and opted for the shot or took to long with the ball. If hes playing as selfishly against us, the threat of RvP decreases and we just need to give him no space.

But then again, if its his day then it will be very tough to stop him.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »
I think both sides and both managers would take a draw and to be honest so would I. So 1-1.

We show we can not get beat in these big games, 7 out of 9 would be a great start for us.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2013, 05:21:55 pm »

:wellin

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »
I hope we can keep up our pace for 90 minutes even if we're in the lead. If we fade after 60 like Villa, they'll score a few.
Don't think we can currently keep up that sort of uber-concentration for long mate.

We need to "mix it up" a bit, else- like the Villa game, we'd be knackered come the second half.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2013, 05:41:01 pm »

Grow a pair

2-0 Gerrard and Coutinho

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:27 pm »

The only thing he fires at Anfield are blanks.