Author Topic: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th  (Read 53072 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:58 am »
Thanks boys. 2 nice previews to quicken the pulse and get the juices flowing. My god it's only Tuesady. 
Nerves will be shot by Friday, let alone Saturday lunch time.

This is the often the best week of the season for Me. The pre-season behind us and the  reality of Saturday still clouded in glorious expectation.

Nice link to the oatcake H.  Good stuff

Offline Nonex

• Anny Roader
  • "I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell."
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 03:10:25 am »
Well, not to be the negative one here, but it can't possibly be a worst start then the one against West Brom last year...

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 04:11:43 am »
Lets hope the ref isn't a c*nt like last season.  If I remember correctly, we virtually got cheated out of having a chance of a first win. 

Offline LFC Jim

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 04:51:16 am »
Really want hendo playing to give us a bit more physicality in the middle and to help allow Coutinho more freedom to pull the strings.
Bring Back Sami.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:23 am »
Has anybody saw Stoke's preseason? Was there any difference in their style of play? If Hughes is changing the style of their play, then we have good chance of winning. I expect the same 11 that started against Celtic to start here too.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:33 am »
Really want hendo playing to give us a bit more physicality in the middle and to help allow Coutinho more freedom to pull the strings.

Good shout. Hendo is a must in this one..

Heart says a win, head says a Draw, 0-0.

Mark hughes will be jizzing his filthy gob after the game how they deserved more out of the match for being butt fucked for 90 mins and getting 2 corners and getting one of them on target.
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 06:00:09 am »
I'm nervous.
And excited.
And have waited all summer for this.

It's like losing your virginity all over again.

Perfect post. Exactly how I feel and I have no clue of the line up but I am so friggin excited I am about to burst.

I can feel me legs jangling like I'm out there meself. C'mon ref stop counting the players were all here, no more no less, blow the whistle and let me out of me misery.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:27 am »
Stoke have been more open than usual as far as I can see in their preseason games. They seem to have moved from Pulis' strict 4-5-1 to a more open 4-2-3-1. They are also definitely playing it on the ground more, but they are using the wings predominantly, especially their right side. There are still crosses into the box, and they still have set-plays for corners etc., but in open play, they look a tad different than they did under Pulis.

It could be a great chance to get 3 points, but we'd have to play Henderson on the left I think, to double up on that side with Enrique. Coutinho in the middle will have more space than usual against a Stoke team, so could do some damage, although Walters and Crouch will still be a stern test for our back four. If Johnson and Enrique can do a job stopping crosses, we might take their wingers out of the game, which will force Crouch/Walters back into midfield looking for the ball, which will then dull their attack in general. If we can do that, and dominate possession, we should create enough for 2-3 goals. The team more or less picks itself, I think, bar questions over Henderson instead of Allen, and whether Aspas starts with Sturridge subbing in, or Sturridge starting with Aspas on the bench or on the right wing.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11:16 am »
Love to see Hendo start but have a horrible feeling that the teachers pet, Allen, will be preferred.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 07:24:51 am »
Every year it feels like I'm more excited than ever for the new season. But then I think back on last year and I remember being hammered for three days straight so the time would pass quicker. Might try that this year as well.

Looking forward to this beyond measure. Feel like I'm about to burst. Liverpool-Stoke is the perfect opening day. It's the most boring game of the season but it's the opening day so everyone will be excited anyway. Basically one less boring game this season. Brilliant.

Come on you redmen!

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 07:25:33 am »
It looks like Walters and Etherington on their wings judging by preseason.  Will be a physical test as always against them.

All i can say is thank god this game is at Anfield rather than the Brittania.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:25 am »
I think the only starting line up I'm certain on for this is the midfield three, of Gerrard, Allen and Lucas.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:51 am »
Come On Redmen!
Key will be how Agger and Toure deal with the strength of Walters and height of Crouch. Apart from that we should be a lot stronger. Agree Coutinho in the middle seems likely with Aspas right and Sturridge up front. Could see Ibe on left I think with Gerrard and Lucas behind. So their breaks against our creativity will be central IMHO
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:05:37 am by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 07:53:07 am »
Come On Redmen!
Key will be how Agger and Toure deal with the strength of Walters and height of Crouch. Apart from that we should be a lot stronger. Agree Coutinho in the middle seems likely with Aspas right and Sturridge up front. Could see Ibe on left I think with Gerrard and Lucas behind. So their breaks against out creativity will be central IMHO

I got a feeling with Hughes they will use Crouch at the feet more because he does have a fantastic first touch and can bring in the wide players. From set pieces though they will be a definite threat.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:29 am »
This is going to be a frustrating day I think. Hughes will have a side of staunch 'fuckin get rid of it' players trying to play football.
In the meantime the camera will be panning the crowd for a certain someone thus missing the projected delights of a certain little Brazilian.
Really looking toward to this season for the right reasons
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline d3lu5ion

• Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:28 am »
Will Sturridge start? I read somewhere that, he is working really hard so as to be match fit for Stoke.. Is he already declared match fit for this saturday?

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 08:32:50 am »
Will Sturridge start? I read somewhere that, he is working really hard so as to be match fit for Stoke.. Is he already declared match fit for this saturday?

I hope so. If not then he will definately come on at some point at least. We'll see.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 08:43:16 am »
Bookies always think we will win this, but the history denies this:
"Liverpool have secured only two points and scored just one goal in their last four PL meetings with Stoke City (D2 L2).
The Potters have lost only two of their 10 Barclays Premier League meetings with Liverpool (W3 D5).
However, Stoke have never scored a Premier League goal at Anfield, despite playing there five times.
Three of the previous five Premier League games between these two sides at Anfield have ended 0-0.
Liverpool are without a win in the last four on the opening day of the season, drawing two home games 1-1 and losing twice away.
Stoke, meanwhile, have only won one of their five previous opening Premier League fixtures (D2 L2).
Stoke scored just 34 goals in 2012/13, a haul superior only to relegated QPR (30).
The Potters also mustered a league-low of just 114 shots on target last season.
Liverpool won four and lost none of their five league games without Luis Suarez playing in 2012/13."
So a mighty 1-0 from a lucky penalty will be  a massive victory. Truth is we have a lightweight squad with just cheap new to the league players and a few shipped out, Sturridge not yet 100%. What would be nice would be a strong Steven Gerrard game (what I would give to have him further up the pitch for this one), and someone neutralising Charlie Adam.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:26 am »
As always, the first game of the season has added importance. It's never just another 3 points, it's about relief after all the build up and hopefully the first stirrings of belief.

We've only won the first two games of the season on one occasion in the last 10 years...and it turned out to be an exciting ride, right up until the nightmare that was Federico Macheda. Stoke and Villa give us a decent chance of at least emulating the first part of that ride.

At this stage, it's always the same for me...not very interested in who plays and what the formation will be, happy to wait and see; and couldn't care less how Stoke will be different under Hughes, Stoke will be Stoke. All I'm interested in is the 3 points, and if they come in the last minute with our only decent attack of the game off Stevie's left arse cheek I won't care a jot.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY RED MEN!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:39 am »
Can't wait for this, I think we are well set, pre-season has been good and, if anything, the defeat against Celtic will stop everyone getting too excited and help focus everyone's minds on beating Stoke.

Away would have been very tricky but at home we shouldn't be worried about them. If we get the ball to Coutinho in and around the area he will either punish them, or we will win plenty of free-kicks/pens
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:49 am »
If I was a neutral and a betting man I'd be thinking 0-0 1-1 ?

Just need to stop the cross from both wings into Crouchie and Walters .

Praying Sturridge starts and Coutinho is in the no 10 role I'd like to see Ibe start on the right

.............Sturridge
Sterling Coutinho Ibe
..... Lucas Gerrard
Enrique Agger Toure Johnson
..............Mignolet

Can't see us going with both Sterling and Ibe so maybe Aspas in for one
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:40:25 am by rocco »

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43:20 am »
I'm thinking with Hughes in charge, Stoke will be playing better football as they've shown already in pre season but at the same time that could work in our favour with more gaps to exploit.  I cannot see Stoke pushing out too much but if they have the ball and look to play actual football, gaps should open up somewhere in their defensive half but time will tell, we'll just have to wait and see.  But i'm more confident playing Stoke with Hughes rather than Pulis.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:15 am »
Sterlings too lightweight against these rugby motherfuckers

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:44 am »
Gutted I won't be here for this game. V festival........

Plan is to try and not check the score the whole weekend, record the game and come home monday and watch the game with a fuck off hangover

Think the team really picks itself, but it will be interesting if he starts Sturridge and brings on Aspas for the last 30, or the other way round.

Also the wide position in the front 3 will be interesting.. Coutinho will obviously start but will he start Sterling? Will Henderson play wide to give more energy and pressing?

Just really hope we get off to a good start with a solid win.

2-0 Liverpool with Gerrard and Sturridge scoring is my guess.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:34 am »

Or they're too slow and static to counter his speed.

We'll dominate possession. They will probably have a slightly different style of play, while we will continue our progress. So I'd expect us to find ways through their defence. Both because they're different and because we have added some edge (Coutinho and Sturridge and Aspas) to our game. My only questionmark for this game is what CBs we'll go with. Expecting a win. Perhaps a narrow one, but still a win. An early goal for us and I can see us win by three.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
Or they're too slow and static to counter his speed.

We'll dominate possession. They will probably have a slightly different style of play, while we will continue our progress. So I'd expect us to find ways through their defence. Both because they're different and because we have added some edge (Coutinho and Sturridge and Aspas) to our game. My only questionmark for this game is what CBs we'll go with. Expecting a win. Perhaps a narrow one, but still a win. An early goal for us and I can see us win by three.

I'd like to think like this also, movements key against stoke to free up the space for players like Sterling to work and I think with Aspas or Sturridge we'll have that in abundance

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 10:16:21 am »

He ran them ragged a year ago, Think he'll be even more effective this time around. I hope they play Shawcross and Huth so our 'too lightweight' players can take them to school.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:01 am »
First game....finally....what felt let aaaaaages without football in May, to quickly settling into a routine without it, to coming to realise its back!

And Stoke....that bastard of a team with their bastard of a manager.

Interesting!

THe team looks quick and sharp in the games ive seen in preseason...plenty of positives to take. They have also been playing together for a while now.....and we look fit and ready to go! Its definitely gonna be one of those games that we either win or draw and feel absolutely deflated ha

I would actually keep henderson on the bench and start Allen. Then use Hendo if we need him to come on and chase everything down. Rest of the team i think pretty much picks itself at this moment in time.....would also start with Sturridge and give him 60 mins.

Think we are capable of winning this comfortably if we take our chances and avoid any brain farts. We are a better team, we are at home and we have a manager who is in his 2nd season with a lot to prove along with the rest of the squad. There should be nothing left on the pitch come Saturday by any of our players...

Lets do this redmen
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:05 am »
As always with Stoke, an early goal and we'll demolish them, a long, drawn out slog and it's got 0-0 written all over it.

I can't imagine them being able to bully Toure much at the back, and him and Agger are both more than strong enough and experienced enough to cope with Stoke's bully boy tactics. Aspas looks like he won't take any shit from Shawcross and the like either. We've had some stinking starts to the season over the last few years and some stinking results at home to Stoke to boot. Would happily take a scrappy 1-0 here to put us two points up on last season and, let's remember as we're the first game, we win and we're top of the league...

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 10:49:19 am »
Strange feeling heading into this. Absolutely gagging for the season to start but can't fucking stand playing Stoke! I'd love to get off to a good start but I can't help but think it'll be another frustrating draw(or defeat from only giving away 1 chance) where we struggle to break down a parked bus. Perhaps Stoke under Hughes will be different and they'll be more open and less physical and i'm being pessimistic for no reason. I hope so.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55:00 am »
I think the Stoke plan will be to kick the s*1t out of Coutinho, defend deep, long balls, hope to win free kicks or corners and try to score from these, not forgetting to kick the s*1t out of Coutinho.  We are a bit lightweight for this one, except for the back 4, so is it going to be a battle between our ability to pass and their ability to stop us passing.  High pace and movement in and around the box is key for us.  If we allow them time to get into position defensively we will end up, as we usually do against them, drawing or losing.  We need to pull their defenders out of position and work quick 1-2's to get our scoring opportunities.  Getting down the wings and putting in crosses will be just "meat and drink" to these guys.
At the moment the teamsheet looks like - Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling, Aspas.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55:10 am »
At last we can get on with Football. Felt so happy to watch even the Community Shield. Really excited that I can see my team play after 3 months!
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 11:09:59 am »
I believe Aspas would benefit having someone else up there with him for support. It would create space for him as well as deflect attention away. He showed glimpses last week but he was bullied out of the game - although the ref was a bit of a twat at times. Plus he likes to drift around so when he does that, you need someone staying up there, Borini will do that.

Also not a fan of Allen playing behind the striker, maybe at Swansea where he'd be given more space but here he doesn't have the real guile to play in that position. He was excellent vs Valerenga in that central role as the link player between Henderson and Alberto. Gerrard should play there instead or wide left. I believe he could play that role, no matter what people say about his legs going.

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:17 am »
Love to see Hendo start but have a horrible feeling that the teachers pet, Allen, will be preferred.

Fucking hell, didn't take long did it.

Stoke will come here to park the bus, as they always do. I just hope we are clinical when we get our chances or it could be a frustrating afternoon. I think it will be a draw.

Offline alan82

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
Cant wait for this.

Weatherspoons, bet, match and hopefully 3 points :-)
“I just wanted to jump into the stand and start celebrating with those wonderful fans [on reaching the Champions League final]” Steven Gerrard

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:46 am »
I don't think a win is as clear-cut, or as inevitable, as some of the early posters made out. I'm more worried that it'll be another 0-0 draw at Anfield..... in fact, that's probably the most likeliest outcome. But certainly hope to see us edge them out and nick a 1-0 win.

I pretty much expect the line-up that started against Olympiakos.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:13 am »
Line-Ups

Here are the line ups from last season along with the average pitch position of the players. What stands out for me is that given the amount of possession we had, the defence could play a high line yet the full backs did not push on as much as we witnessed in the latter part of the season. It also looks like Sterling and Suso (remember, it was early season and they were just in the team) were not as ambitious as perhaps they could have been given our dominance in that match.

The key position within the team for the Stoke game and perhaps a large majority of the games this season, will be the role & position of Coutinho. Just looking at Stoke, Liverpool have played two 0-0 draws against them in the last 2 seasons. Given the limited changes in personnel from Stoke and the new manager is unlikely to want or be able to make significant changes to the style, then I think we need to look at a set up that can unlock a team that are likely to be deep, compact and very hard working. For that reason, I would look to get Coutinho central.

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

Gerrard Lucas

Aspas Coutinho Sterling

Sturridge

Carragher's take on Coutinho's role this season;

"I think he is going to end up starting the season wide left, thats where he was in the pre-season game I was involved in and for me I'd like to see him in the central areas to be honest, thats where he is at his best......receiving the ball in these areas and thats what you want, (analyzes clip vs Fulham) you look at him now, he has Duff on toast here in the middle of the pitch. But look at the pass with the outside of the right foot to create Sturridge's goal.

But the role that I think he will start the season is on the left. One of the reasons why I think he is going to be on the left at the moment is because I think Brendan Rodgers is looking at playing Stevie, Joe Allen and Lucas as a 3 really. I prefer to see him as a Number 10 really with just 2 of them."

I looked at Stoke a bit more indepth here:
http://roryfitz9.webnode.com/news/test/

Including;

Discipline

Stoke were the most physical team in the Premiership last season picking up 78 yellow cards and 4 red cards. They also committed the most fouls per game at 12.8. Last season at Anfield, it was felt that Stoke were 'clever' in the way that they fouled. Firstly, they spread the fouls around such that they only started picking up consistent bookings from the 70th min onwards when 4 players were booked. But, secondly, the graphic below shows where they committed the fouls. Only 3 fouls were near their box and even then, they were out wide. It looks like a cynical strategy of committing fouls in the oppositions half to stop counter attacks. However, once the play proceeds to their own 3rd of the pitch, discipline kicked in and only 3 fouls were committed.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:25:26 am by Rory Fitzgerald »

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
I expect Coutinho will be getting some rough, rough treatment.

This is not going to be an easy game at all because they still retain the group of players who've had a psychological edge over us in recent seasons. Being the first game of the season as well, optimism is high and no team wants to start with an L, so they'll chase the game hard even if we score early.

If Sturridge is up for it, we'll win.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:28 am »
It's back.

:scarf

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2013, 12:15:28 pm »
Suppose Stuey Downing will not be running up and down the left wing pinging crosses for Andrew Coleroll to thunder a couple past Begovic.