Author Topic: PREVIEW: Fulham v Liverpool - Sunday 12 May - 15.00 k/o  (Read 29712 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
PREVIEW: Fulham v Liverpool - Sunday 12 May - 15.00 k/o
« on: May 2, 2013, 10:55:42 am »

Fulham v Liverpool – Sunday 12 May 2013 - kick-off: 15.00

In their final away game of the season, Liverpool head to Craven Cottage to face Fulham.
The match will be the last time Jamie Carragher travels on the team bus to an away fixture as a Liverpool player.   Fulham are one of 3 teams to have conceded a Jamie Carragher league goal!!

Much will be written about Carragher in the coming days, weeks, months and years, so I’ll let better writers than me evaluate the career of a legendary footballer and man.
But as he gets set to lace up his boots for the final time in a “visitors” dressing room I’m going to focus a little on some of Carra’s happiest away-days.

Jamie Carragher made his first team debut at Middlesbrough’s “Cellnet” Stadium on 08th January 1997, replacing Rob Jones in the 75th minute of a Coca Cola Cup Quarter Final tie.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ymohuOjvgw?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8ymohuOjvgw?fs=1</a>
Remember that Ecru kit?  Liverpool lost 2-1, with Craig Hignett doing the damage, whilst David James didn’t cover himself in glory!

Arguably Carragher’s most memorable ‘away days’ have come in cup competitions.  Though notable league mentions would include Carragher playing in the 4-1 thrashing of Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2009, or being part of the side that ended Jose Mourinho’s 86 match unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge in 2008. But it would be the cups that would give Carragher his most memorable results, including Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium becoming a second home to Liverpool between 2001-2006.

In 2001, Carragher won his first senior winners’ medal (to add to his FA Youth Cup medal) when Liverpool overcame Birmingham City on penalties on to clinch the Worthington Cup.

Carragher stepped up to calmly steer his penalty in to the top corner whilst most Kopites peered through their fingers!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgxBAWo77Eg&amp;feature=player_detailpage#t=221s?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RgxBAWo77Eg&amp;feature=player_detailpage#t=221s?fs=1</a>

Just a few months later, Liverpool were back in Cardiff to face Arsenal in the FA Cup Final.  2 goals in the closing minutes added an FA Cup winners’ medal to double Carragher’s senior team medals tally.  Carragher was, by this stage, playing at left-back as Hyypia and Henchoz were Gerard Houllier’s preferred centre-back pairing.

4 days after the FA Cup Final, Liverpool headed over to Germany to face Deportivo Alaves in the UEFA Cup Final.
A topsy-turvey match saw Carragher clinch his 3rd piece of silverware in 3 months as Liverpool won European honours thanks to an extra-time “Golden Goal”. 

Liverpool were not finished in 2001 and Carragher duly added Charity Shield and UEFA Super Cup winners’ medals to his tally.  5 medals in 6 months, this is getting easy!!

Carra would have to wait almost 2 years before claiming his next medal, (though Liverpool were pipped to the Premiership title by Arsenal in 2002) as Liverpool once again returned to Cardiff to triumph in the Worthington Cup against Manchester United in 2003.  The roof was closed, the atmosphere was intense, but the reds’ came through 2-0 to send the Liverpool fans home happy and Carragher with another winners medal in his pocket.

So much has been written about 2005.  Under new manager Rafael Benitez, Carragher and Liverpool once again found themselves in Cardiff contesting their 3rd League Cup Final in 5 years!
However, this one was to elude them as Chelsea, with their new found fortunes, defeated Liverpool 3-2 after extra time.  Carragher and the thousands of Liverpool fans in the Millennium Stadium were left deflated, but unbeknown to them they would exact their revenge on Mourinho’s Chelsea with Luis Garcia’s semi-final winner in the Champions League just 8 weeks later.

Wednesday 25th May 2005.  The greatest night in Jamie Carragher’s career.   Probably one of the greatest days of his entire life…
You’ll have read every piece written about the ‘Miracle of Istanbul’, savored every clip of footage, and shared stories with fellow fans fortunate enough to be in the Ataturk Arena that night.

If one picture could speak a thousand words, this would surely be it:

As I said at the start of this piece, so much more will be written about Carragher in the coming weeks, and Istanbul is likely to feature prominently in the articles and profiles you’ll read.

Carragher assumed captain’s duties in Monaco as Liverpool lifted The UEFA Super Cup in August 2005.  I’ll always remember Jamie looking somewhat uncomfortable as he lifted the trophy.

A year later, the European Champions were at Cardiff once again to face West Ham United in the FA Cup Final.  Liverpool don’t like to do things easily, so handed the Londoners a 2-0 goal lead.  One of those goals unfortunately slid in by Carragher.  But Cisse and Gerrard had the final say, and Carra left South Wales with yet another winners’ medal in his pocket.

Three months later, Carragher was at it again in Cardiff as Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-1 in the Community Shield.  Carragher and Hyypia now formed the bedrock of the Liverpool defence.

In 2007, Carragher was on the European trail again, as Liverpool once again overcame the odds to reach the Champions League Final.  Barcelona and Chelsea were dispatched along the way, including a memorable win in the Nou Camp, but the reds were unable to repeat the result of Istanbul on that occasion.

But it wasn’t just cup finals you know.  Who can forget Carragher shutting out Inter Milan in the San Siro in 2008, or Real Madrid in the Bernabeu in 2009?  Liverpool coming away with a 1-0 win from both games.

Carragher would have to wait until 2012 until he got his hands on silverware again, as Liverpool won the League Cup for the 8th time, Carragher’s 3rd League Cup win.  Carragher replaced Daniel Agger in the 87th minute and played all of extra-time.  This was Carragher’s first Wembley final.  A few weeks later, Carragher was back at Wembley and kept his place in the side as Liverpool beat Everton in the FA Cup Semi-Final.
Unfortunately a cup double was narrowly missed as the reds lost the FA Cup Final.

2x FA Cups, 3x League Cups, 1x European Cup, 1x UEFA Cup, 2x Charity Shields, 2x UEFA Super Cups
Also: FA Cup Runner-Up, League Cup Runner-Up and European Cup Runner-Up.

So many away days, so many memories, and on Sunday, Carragher will sit down in the Craven Cottage visitors dressing room and go through his usual pre-match routine for the penultimate time as a Liverpool Football Club player.  In the game, he’ll push himself to the limit, and give 100%, just as he has done over 700 times before.  We’ll miss him.

23 Carra Gold.  A TRUE Legend.  He’ll NEVER Walk Alone

Team News: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers may opt to shuffle the pack a little as Liverpool play out the season following the 0-0 draw against Everton last weekend.
There are unconfirmed reports that Steven Gerrard will have surgery on his shoulder this week, which would end his season.

Luis Suarez, Martin Kelly and Raheem Sterling are absent for Liverpool.

Former Liverpool players John Arne Riise and Kačaniklić are likely to feature against their old club.

As with all our previews, please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK
« Last Edit: May 7, 2013, 10:14:17 am by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PREVIEW: Fulham v Liverpool - Sunday 12 May - 15.00 k/o
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2013, 03:59:43 pm »
 a lovely preview, thanks AR :wave
Yep.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2013, 04:44:08 pm »
Given how poorly FFC have been playing lately, or at the very least how poor their results have been, anything but three points from this one for us should count as an abject failure.

Neutralize/disrupt Ruiz and half the battle is won. Frustrate Berbatov's supporting cast upfront (shouldn't be too difficult) and he shouldn't be as much of a threat as his skill and class would indicate.

If Karagounis starts, we have to keep him busy having to mark and avoid over-committing to challenges/pressure on him. He's notorious for manufacturing fouls in his team's favor. While he's definitely wily, he is physically limited and we should make him tire.

No crosses of any kind to 'areas' close to or near Hageland. He's quicker than he appears but not quick. Quick passing around him and he becomes a liability. Play long high balls in his vicinity and he turns into a superstar.

FFC appear to not be a well-drilled team. No sign of 'triggers' for movement, not a whole lot of automatisms.

Personally, I would drop Johnson in favor of Wisdom. It's been long enough.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2013, 05:20:05 pm by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »
Big game this, we'll obviously beat QPR last so win here and we'll be getting above 60 points and ending the season on an 8 game unbeaten run which while nothing amazing would be nice. I'm expecting a half arsed game from both sides though so fuck knows what will happen.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
Big game this, we'll obviously beat QPR last so win here and we'll be getting above 60 points and ending the season on an 8 game unbeaten run which while nothing amazing would be nice. I'm expecting a half arsed game from both sides though so fuck knows what will happen.
::)
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2013, 07:46:54 pm »
Given how poorly FFC have been playing lately, or at the very least how poor their results have been, anything but three points from this one for us should count as an abject failure.

Neutralize/disrupt Ruiz and half the battle is won. Frustrate Berbatov's supporting cast upfront (shouldn't be too difficult) and he shouldn't be as much of a threat as his skill and class would indicate.

If Karagounis starts, we have to keep him busy having to mark and avoid over-committing to challenges/pressure on him. He's notorious for manufacturing fouls in his team's favor. While he's definitely wily, he is physically limited and we should make him tire.

No crosses of any kind to 'areas' close to or near Hageland. He's quicker than he appears but not quick. Quick passing around him and he becomes a liability. Play long high balls in his vicinity and he turns into a superstar.

FFC appear to not be a well-drilled team. No sign of 'triggers' for movement, not a whole lot of automatisms.

Personally, I would drop Johnson in favor of Wisdom. It's been long enough.

Fulham are in dire form. They've just been beaten 4-2 at home by Reading ffs, who had nothing to even play for. They're on a terrible slide and seemingly have no confidence left.

That being said, I now fully expect a 0-0 or a narrow Fulham win. Leave it to us to break a team's losing streak or poor form.

Offline papadask

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2013, 08:36:08 pm »
If everything goes as planned, this will be my first match since the 4-2 win over Arsenal in the CL QF in '08, and the 3-1 win over Blackburn the following weekend. I'll might bring some luck!

Its a must win. If Everton lose, everything can happen in the last round. Going for a 0-4 win - Gerrard, Sturridge, Hendo and Carra!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
Somehow, from out of nowhere, Fulham have fallen into the relegation battle. They've got the 'magic 40,' but they need to make absolutely sure with a point from their remaining two games. There's almost no way they can go down, but their form of late (particularly their defence) has been dire. Senderos and Hangeland are arguably the most lumbering pairing in the division, and if we can just isolate one of these, I fully expect them to either be skinned or do something rash when attacked with the pace of Coutinho, Sturridge and Downing. Fulham's quality is in their attack, where Ruiz and Berbatov are undoubtedly class acts. They've got a very workmanlike midfield that shouldn't pose us much problem as long as we keep the ball and let them do the chasing.

We
This is spot on. Hangeland becomes a wall if you're just going to cross it into the area or pump high balls forward. One thing I would say though, is he's laughably slow on the turn. Like GrkStav suggests, quick passing around him and the even more labourious Senderos should do the trick in the final third.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2013, 08:53:43 pm »
I'd like to see an experimental lineup with a few youngsters getting time. Maybe even throw Carra up top for a time and see if he can get a goal.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
Superb preview. Actually one that I didn't want to end.

Come on Carra you legend. Smash one into the top right to send the Travelling Kop wild!
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »
One point out of their last six games says it all about the sort of form that Fulham have been in of late.

The draw came against Villa and both Newcastle and Reading have beaten them in that run.

Really would like to see some of the fringe/younger lads a run out.

The state of the table is as follows

Everton P36 GD14 60
Liverpool P36 GD25 55
West Brom P35 GD1 48

Everton's two games are West Ham at home and Chelsea away.

West Brom are City away tomorrow and then Norwich away and Utd at home.

Really hard to see West Brom making up 7 points, so I think we can assume that 7th spot is secure.

All Everton need to secure 6th is either to draw both games or even pick up one win, and that's even assuming we win both our games.

So we're at a stage where the odds are that both games are close enough to meaningless in terms of the league.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2013, 11:56:05 pm »
I'd like to see an experimental lineup with a few youngsters getting time. Maybe even throw Carra up top for a time and see if he can get a goal.

At the very least, it would be nice to see a few on the bench. Wisdom only played 60mins for the U21s so he maybe has a spot at RB?

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »

So we're at a stage where the odds are that both games are close enough to meaningless in terms of the league.

There are no meaningless PL games, this approach is not appropriate for professional football and it will show again which players got the right mentality and who doesn´t.

I would like to see an improvement on our passing in the final third. Sturridge at least trying to passing it around with his team mates.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2013, 12:01:04 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #13 on: May 7, 2013, 12:08:36 am »
Carra as striker for the last 20, will nab the winner.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 7, 2013, 06:33:58 pm »
Excellent preview,,hope we can finish the season with two wins
bollocks

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #15 on: May 8, 2013, 02:06:00 pm »
Agger also ruled out now.

I think I might take my boots with me on Sunday.  At this rate, I'll be getting a game!

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #16 on: May 8, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »
Nice entertaining win for me.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: May 8, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »
i fancy skrtel to score in the last 2 games

we have missed his threat from set pieces

also good game time for shelvs, suso, coady, assaidi

we should use these 2 games to experiment for next season

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 8, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »
Would like the likes of Wisdom, Suso, Shelvey, Assaidi and Coady to get some minutes.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #19 on: May 9, 2013, 07:51:40 am »
Fulham are in dire form. They've just been beaten 4-2 at home by Reading ffs, who had nothing to even play for. They're on a terrible slide and seemingly have no confidence left.

That being said, I now fully expect a 0-0 or a narrow Fulham win. Leave it to us to break a team's losing streak or poor form.

.......Yep we are cetainly good at doing just that. Ask Villa fans :-(

On a more serious note.....without Gerrard or Agger at least there's a chance for the likes of Suso and Coates to feature, or at least get some time coming off the bench.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 9, 2013, 08:15:11 am »
Looking forward to this, have a good feeling about it.

Hope Borini comes in and gets his chance with Sturridge on the right because he will cause Riise all sorts of problems. Coutinho on the left with Henderson as the advanced midfielder. Shelvey deeper alongside Lucas as he can pivot on the ball and it will be easier for us to build from the back. The beauty about that team is it's very flexible.

Reina, Johnson, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Shelvey, Coutinho, Henderson, Sturridge, Borini

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 9, 2013, 10:05:49 am »
Love this away, normally a great atmosphere and Putney is a good place for a beer with a nice stroll over the Thames to the Ground. Fuck all to play for apart from pride for the team. Individually think Skrtel will have to look to impress, Borini will want to do well, maybe Coates will get a run out as well.

This could end up any score first Goal will be crucial.
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #22 on: May 9, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »
great preview.  love the pictures

With fulham and qpr in such a mess and our league position nailed on, these last two games are surely an opportunity to try a few players out. Maybe kelly at centre back alongside carra? coady alongside lucas? a front 4 of coutiniho, suso, shelvey and sturridge? assuming sterling wont play again this year. Get Ibe on the bench.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2013, 12:39:40 pm by Higgins79 »

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #23 on: May 9, 2013, 01:03:14 pm »
Nice preview, ashley rose, thanks.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 9, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »
Have Gary Cheewahwah in hand for the match thanks to Levitz!
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 9, 2013, 11:23:30 pm »
Ooh fuck, with all this fun I nearly forgot we have a game to look forward to. And I mean look forward to it, it doesn't matter who it is and how close to the end of the season, every kick of the ball for 38 games is as important and must be enjoyed, you'll be craving for it in a few weeks.

Great OP mate, everyone enjoy yourselves at that odd little ground.

I fancy a 2-1 win for us with a one or two players attempting to needlessly impress the manager with a pointless cause.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 9, 2013, 11:26:51 pm »
Great preview.  Hope the travelling fans make Carraghers last away game with us a good one. 

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »
Former Liverpool players John Arne Riise and Kačaniklić are likely to feature against their old club.

Thanks Roy  ::)

Really nice preview. Looking forward to this one, we could possibly end up banging in quite a few against Fulham as they've been absolutely shocking as of late. Provided the players are focussed and not already on their holidays, I can't see any problems for us. However, I think we could just as easily suffer from that end of season malaise and this could end up being terrible to watch.

I'd like to see Wisdom in at RB. Carra's obviously going to play and presumably Skrtel will take Agger's spot, but it'd be nice to see Coates get some game time. It'd also be nice to get Suso, Sterling et al some match minutes too, but the more tinkering with the personnel the likelier we are to cause ourselves problems, I suppose.

Hoping for another clean sheet and some goals... 3-0 us, I reckon.

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »
Going by the 'bib theory' from the training pictures from today, it looks like Skrtel and Shelvey will be starting in place of Agger and Gerrard. Looking forward to seeing how Shelvey performs, can't remember the last time he started a game. Will be interesting to see if he takes up the deeper role Gerrard has been playing or if Henderson takes that role and Shelvey plays further forward. I reckon I'd go with the latter personally, although Henderson has been in very good form and his pressing from that advanced midfield position has been important to us, especially in away games.

Looks like Coady may make the bench too, which would be great. The lad deserves some minutes before the end of the season as a reward for being quality for the U21's all season. He seems to have stepped up another level the past month or so too. Be nice to see him come on if he gets a chance.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 03:21:01 pm »
Going by the 'bib theory' from the training pictures from today, it looks like Skrtel and Shelvey will be starting in place of Agger and Gerrard. Looking forward to seeing how Shelvey performs, can't remember the last time he started a game. Will be interesting to see if he takes up the deeper role Gerrard has been playing or if Henderson takes that role and Shelvey plays further forward. I reckon I'd go with the latter personally, although Henderson has been in very good form and his pressing from that advanced midfield position has been important to us, especially in away games.

Looks like Coady may make the bench too, which would be great. The lad deserves some minutes before the end of the season as a reward for being quality for the U21's all season. He seems to have stepped up another level the past month or so too. Be nice to see him come on if he gets a chance.

Would have liked if Coady or suso started ahead of Shelvey, Hasn't improved at all the whole season, got many chances and blew them.
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »
Shelvey was excellent for the under 21's on monday night and was taken off on the hour so I'd expect him to start.

I'd have liked to see Borini get a few starts before the season ends too, he's taken a while to get settled with injuries this season but great chance to give him a proper chance now.

Wisdom alongside Carra for the last 2 games would have been ideal too, great chance for the lad to learn from Carra before he goes.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:55 pm »
looks like Reina Johnson Skyrtel Carragher Wisdom Lucas Henderson Shelvey Downing Sturridge Coutinho

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »
Anyone got any highlights of the 0-1 in 2009 or 2-5 in 2011?

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »
Anyone got any highlights of the 0-1 in 2009 or 2-5 in 2011?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-QiUtIcfaM?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D-QiUtIcfaM?fs=1</a>

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »
Looking forward to this, Fulham away always throws up a good atmosphere.

Can't forget the Yossi winner under Rafa, my most memorable and unbelievable finish to the game against them, only for our hopes to be pissed on 24 hrs later by that fuckin Italian one-game wonder greaseball c*nt at OT.

Hope we play the same team as last week, exception being Shelvey for Gerrard and Skrtel for Agger.

Our attackers often have a field day against them so looking forward to a hat-trick from Maxi, Suarez, Sturridge please   :)
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-QiUtIcfaM?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D-QiUtIcfaM?fs=1</a>
What a great game that was. We were in great form under Kenny in the 11-12 season, really thought we'd carry it on to next season. Why did we have to disassemble such a great team that worked well, I'll never know.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 07:56:06 pm »
Hopefully a performnce similar to the St. James one......give Carra a cracking send-off in his last away.  Hope he scores.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 08:07:43 pm »
The main issue with this game will be that both Skrtel and Carragher tend to drop off when playing beside Agger, so the two of them together might mean Lucas and whoever partners him might get isolated in midfield. It will be important, either way, that we meet the central defence, or that they meet the midfield. Compression will be vital against Fulham. It's possible that we will play for the clean sheet more than the win, which means Sturridge will get released frequently in behind Fulham's defensive line. If he has his shooting boots on, he could be on for a hat-trick.

From Fulham, the key will be to watch for Ruiz feeding Berbatov and vice versa. If we manage to push up the field, Berbatov could become redundant to their attacks quickly, as long as Reina is able to come off his line for through passes (most likely from Ruiz, but Berbatov probably doesn't have the pace to make the most of those), while on the wings Emanuelson will be the one to watch in terms of taking players on, although if he's on the Fulham right, Enrique should have the measure of him.

Liverpool will probably play with Henderson and Lucas in central midfield, Coutinho in the #10 position, and Downing on the right, which means only the left mid slot is open to question, but it will probably be Borini who starts there, although there's always a chance of a little twist with Johnson at Left Back, Wisdom at Right Back and Enrique at left mid - although this is unlikely. It's probably the case that Rodgers will want to keep the defensive side strong, so apart from Skrtel, there will be a set defence, Lucas and Henderson in midfield, and Borini on the left. If so, it might be a good game for Borini to get a goal in.

For all intents and purposes, this is a game Liverpool should win, but if we're going to see a first Sturridge hat-trick for Liverpool, this might be the game for it.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 08:13:02 pm »
Well, well.  Until I read the OP, I completely forgot that Fulham were still in the league.  ;D  Talk about anonymity.  At least QPR had the verve to go down in magnificent spectacle.  Think I saw Berbatov's face on the side of a milk carton here in the US. 

This feels like one of those gentlemen's agreement--you don't try too hard, we won't try too hard, and nobody will get hurt-- type of games.  That apple cart could be upset if Rodgers decides to give some of his youngster's an opportunity to impress.  Surely Shelvey and Suso will get a look here.  Seems like a good shout for Wisdom as well, at least somewhere.  Maybe give Johnson a little break.  Borini would be a good shout as well.  Wouldn't mind seeing him get 70 or so minutes up top with Sturridge and see what he's got.  Maybe some Assaidi as well.  Who knows what Rodgers has up his sleeve.

just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 09:00:06 pm »
I'm getting quite sad now as we approach the end of the season. And only two more chances to see Carra in the shirt.  Sad, sad times.

I'd like to see us finish with some style.  To many recent seasons have we limped across the finish line.  A nice couple of wins to close out the season would just give us a warm enough feeling to take us into the depression of summer transfer windows.

I'd like a similar lineup to recent matches except perhaps Wisdom in place of Johnson.  If Gerrard is out then perhaps see if Shelvey can learn to play in a disciplined midfield.