Author Topic: #GERRARD8 Stevie Retires - Share Your Memories Here  (Read 13508 times)

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
Re: #GERRARD8 Stevie Retires - Share Your Memories Here
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
What can I say that hasn't been said? The footballing hero of my childhood, all his playing time at Liverpool will remind me of my youth for the rest of my life, the player of this generation, and possibly century. Thanks for the great memories Stevie.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2016, 04:12:45 pm »
Podcast of his 10 best memories has just dropped in from the BBC.  They'd better all be good ones! Might get a bit teary eyed listening to that on the way to work tomorrow!

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2016, 04:18:11 pm »
Tried to start writing something about Gerrard about 8 times, but then I couldn't really find an adequate place to start. Istanbul, Wembley, Dortmund, Cardiff, all covered in the footprints of Stevie and all magical.

So I think it's probably best to focus on his exploits against our bitter friends across the park. Banging one in right in front of the frothing, hideous masses, wheeling away holding his hand to his ear, sticking his tongue out and generally taking the piss like a maniac. Doing what probably every single one of us would do if we were in that position. That was when I knew he would be my favourite player. The game is a lot poorer knowing he won't put on his boots in anger again.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2016, 04:23:41 pm »
we love you captain, you are a true legend.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »
The greatest ever. No other player (at least in my living memory) had such a unique set of attributes. Combined with his loyalty to us. He set standards, a benchmark how to play and now looking back I'm annoyed at myself when I was left frustrated when on the odd occasion he couldn't pull us out the mire. Made every player around him better, on the field and off the field.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »
Tried to start writing something about Gerrard about 8 times, but then I couldn't really find an adequate place to start. Istanbul, Wembley, Dortmund, Cardiff, all covered in the footprints of Stevie and all magical.

So I think it's probably best to focus on his exploits against our bitter friends across the park. Banging one in right in front of the frothing, hideous masses, wheeling away holding his hand to his ear, sticking his tongue out and generally taking the piss like a maniac. Doing what probably every single one of us would do if we were in that position. That was when I knew he would be my favourite player. The game is a lot poorer knowing he won't put on his boots in anger again.
In the same boat, so many memories. Lucky enough to see Olympiakos, Istanbul and Cardiff but there's so many more which is why his exploits against that lot make me smile.
They never learned did they, spewing their bile was usually followed by Stevie sticking one in.

I think whats also added to my memories of Gerrard is the pleasure he's given my lad who was born in 2000. I remember explaining to him what a special player he was and how he was one of the best that I, and most of us had ever seen and to just enjoy watching him.
probably not alone here, but just writing about him brings back more memories, the Madrid volley, the last minute free kick v Villa, the goal at St James when he almost broke the net.
What a player. ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2016, 04:37:14 pm »
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »
'Hello, hello, here we go...'

For some reason it's hard to find a good quality video of both of those goals above. Drives me mad.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2016, 04:54:39 pm »
For some reason it's hard to find a good quality video of both of those goals above. Drives me mad.

Filmed off the telly, but you get commentary on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyztjquwF7I

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »
To be honest he retired as soon as he left Liverpool.

Thanks for everything Stevie, thanks for staying with us even when we weren't great and thanks for putting your heart into this club day in and day out. Will be tough to find a local as talented and driven as him.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »
Absolutely adore the man. Hope we see more of him.

All the best.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2016, 05:08:12 pm »
There ain't no kneejerks with me saying Stevie is the best player i have seen at our club.
The lad had it all.
For me to have him (just) ahead of Kenny says it all.
Would have loved for him to have retired here.
An unbelievable talent.

Thanks for everything & good luck with your next move Stevie.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »
The most important goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxdIOuKn5o

The best goal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0lic71MOOs
His heading was so underrated, obviously he was ridiculously good at lots of other things that rightfully get praised first, but imagine having him on the end of his set pieces.

Hopefully he's back here soon in some capacity working towards being a coach. Sounds like he's going to take a break and do some stuff with BT first though.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2016, 05:11:34 pm »
#Legend.

Brought so many highs for me following this club,he was like a real life Roy Of The Rovers watching him at times in his pomp.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »
he was Liverpool FC for more than a decade, at least for me.

good luck in future is all i can say.. hope he comes back to the game as a coach.

thanks for all the memories, for all the fantastic goals and the fight, passion, leadership.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2016, 05:22:56 pm »
I love how my dad, who is a Spurs fan, talks about their greatest players like Greaves and how he watched them. And I know loads of older Leicester fans who watched their greatest players, like Banks and Worthington. And I can say yeah, and I watched Liverpools greatest player and watched most of his games. And there were fucking loads of them. Istanbul, Olympiakos, West Ham, United, Everton, Inter, Napoli, Alaves.

Just an absolute icon of one of the few iconic clubs in world football. I truly hope we find a way to keep him at the club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »
That challenge on that shithouse Fellaini was sublime, it was like it was our behalf.  One geniune hard man was Stevie in a game full of whinging shitbags.

Saw Stevie on his debut, never forget that moment. It was no secret Liverpool knew they had a gem on their hands, and Gerrard let nobody down.

Huyton lad captains club and country and leads his team to European Cup success, he can be really proud of himself.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »
That challenge on that shithouse Fellaini was sublime, it was like it was our behalf.  One geniune hard man was Stevie in a game full of whinging shitbags.

He was fucking filthy when he wanted to be as well. That two footer in the Derby was majestic.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
An absolute legend in every sense of the word. Thanks for the many great memories Stevie, hope you take a well deserved break and enjoy a few cold ones.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
What can I say that hasn't been said? The footballing hero of my childhood, all his playing time at Liverpool will remind me of my youth for the rest of my life, the player of this generation, and possibly century. Thanks for the great memories Stevie.
This goes for me too. Simply the best Liverpool player I've seen and has given me some of my greatest Liverpool related memories. We're so lucky to have had him play for our club.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2016, 06:24:27 pm »
The greatest Liverpool player of his time.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2016, 06:24:41 pm »
Had the pleasure of seeing him play a few times,but the stand out memory was him scoring that goal from outside the box against united in the 2000/1 season.I was just behind the goal and I'll never forget it.He was a real master of the "Fuck you"goal.I wish him the best in whatever he does next.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2016, 06:31:50 pm »

Man imagine getting praise from him. You must be pretty good.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »
My best memory at Anfield of him was scoring a belter against the Mancs. Me and my daughter Ellie were singing his 40yards song all the way back to Liverpool city centre. Thanks for everything Steve and hope to see you working at Melwood or Kirkby soon
Think it was the same goal as two above 👍
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline sully0182

• Kemlynite
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »
Legend. Easily the greatest red I've seen. Favourite moment is probably that "lovely cushioned header" from Mellor...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:49:12 pm by sully0182 »

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2016, 06:49:29 pm »

Woah, that brought a lump to my throat....

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2016, 06:54:36 pm »
What a player!!

So many great memories of his.

The best player of his generation and arguably our greatest ever.

:scarf

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2016, 07:02:54 pm »
Unbelievable talent and a Liverpool legend. It was a priveledge to watch him

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
I remember watching a game in 2009 and suddenly the thought hitting me; Gerrard will have to retire one day. There will be a time when Liverpool play and hes not wearing the shirt. It scared the shit out of me.

I absolutely adore the man and always will, what a player. I think he has suffered slightly among our fanbase due to all the shit at the club during the hicks/gillet era. I remember that time being full of conspiracy theories; stevie and carra determined to get rafa sacked, was he undermining the boss, should he speak out against the owners etc. It just wasnt a very fun time to follow us, 08/09 aside, and i think people alwas resented us being labeled a one man team. So much so that in an attempt to defend the manager and our other players his input was questioned, stats about our results while he was out began emerging and instead of focusing on his unreal performances in those two cup finals people desperately pointed out that the man of the match for each occasion should have been Hamann and Sissoko respectively. Its daft when you look back at it, especially considering how fun it is supporting us at the moment, but I do believe that was the type of mentality that leads to people still sniping at him now.

As a player I dont think we will ever see another steven gerrard. He had absolutely everything, he really did. Our go to man that everyone in the world would want in their team. Hard as nails, skillful, quick, had an unreal engine, could tackle hard, always fancied him on a one on one or from the penalty spot, always gave 100%, could head the ball, take a freekick, fill in in defense, hit 30 yard screamers...the list goes on and on. The most complete player i have personally been around to witness. He will always be my absolute hero for teaching me as a 12 year old boy watching the european cup final that absolutely anything is possible with sheer belief and determination, and that you should never ever give up. I still get choked up watching anything to do with that night in istanbul. Just finished the sky closing montage with In My Life and welled up. Can anyone remember the one with Heroes playing? Cant seem to find it. Think it would push me over the edge.

Personal memories...well my first liverpool game was against middlesborough a few nights before the chelsea semi final where he smashed in that unreal 30 yarder. My first away watching him score late on vs Villa and thinking i was a hard man as a gangly 14 year old giving the v's to their fans on the coach on the way out. Any time watching him lead us out of the tunnel and knowing the armband was being worn by a worthy leader. Kissing the camera at old trafford. Of course there were lows, i didnt think anything could hurt as much as a lost champions league final but the end of the 13/14 season still stings. I dont think i'll ever get over that one but i also wont forget his sheer will and determination playing a massive part in getting us to compete in the first place. The fucking balls on the bloke with the pressure pens he stuck away that season.

Im rambling on and on and i could do all night. Like many others im sure next time im at the pub il be boring everyone talking about his career. What a guy and i hope he comes back soon. But then hes probably earned a year or two on the golf course.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2016, 07:23:14 pm »
We'll never have another like him. Simply the greatest player Liverpool have ever produced. So much pressure on him throughout his career and he dragged us all through to success without blinking. So many memories, such a special talent. He had everything a modern footballer should have, and he was ours. So fortunate. Enjoy your retirement, i very much doubt it'll be the last we see of him at Liverpool though. YNWA #8

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2016, 07:28:17 pm »
Olympiakos (CL)
AC Milan (1st goal, CL final)
West Ham (the Gerrard FA Cup)

So many great goals, he'd be a legend for those alone but he was such a unique player, a tour de force, a whirlwind, someone who could do nearly everything and do them well. Those goals were great though, not only in their importance but in their execution too. But yeah, scored some decent goals too :P

The Olympiakos was probably a signature 'Gerrard goal' - how many strikes from distance did he get? Can't think of another player who scored as many. Obviously the ones against Middlesbrough and Marseille stick out too but there was one against Villa where we won 3-1 I think that was awesome. And the West Ham one obviously, don't think I celebrated that, instead just stood there open mouthed - still don't know who he managed to score that one.

And yeah, the header against Milan was great - always think his heading wasn't utilised enough, mainly because he took corners - the technique to generate the power and the accuracy to score that goal was brilliant.

His goal against the Mancs in 2001

His first goal in the West Ham match gets forgotten about because of what came after but the technique to score that was wonderfully executed. So many players would have got that all wrong. Similarly, his second against Real Madrid was wonderful too, love that goal. Think those two need more love.

And also his first against Sheffield Wednesday. Don't remember him scoring too many like that afterwards but what a way to announce yourself. And it just got better from there.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:51 pm »

You know you're one of the great players in the game when great players from other countries give you praise.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »
Greatest Liverpool player of all time.

A legend amongst legends.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »
I grieved when he left LFC. This is just making it official.

My captain, my hero, my inspiration and someone who has given me a reason to smile more than most people I know.

Greatest leader I have ever seen.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »

Superb.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2016, 08:22:34 pm »

Offline dannylfc_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:42 pm »
Every year, a new Gerrard 8 jersey. Childhood hero. So many memories. Legend.
It's as if we need a retirement parade for him!

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2016, 08:50:44 pm »
Reading all of the tributes from some of the great players he's played with and against, has brought a tear to my eye. It's sad to think we'll never see another top corner screamer from Stevie. But what amazing memories he's left us with and we're blessed to have him as ours.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2016, 08:57:23 pm »