Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 245911 times)

Offline mat106

• Legacy Fan
Re: Cancer
« Reply #1120 on: January 6, 2012, 10:09:14 am »
RIP Dan! Vicky take some joy in knowing you made him happy and in that time you had together you all experienced life in all of its fragments.

It's the sum of moments that count my fellow red supporters and if we can show some humanity to one another what a good people we are. Sorry to get philosophical but my thoughts and prayers are for all and each of you whether you're dealing with this dreaded disease yourselves or one of your loved ones.

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
« Reply #1121 on: January 6, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »
RIP The Sky I Scrape

Vicky i'm sorry for your loss, cancer is a bastard.

have been avoiding this thread for a while so have only just got the news about dan's passing.

YNWA!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: January 6, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »
I couldn’t agree more Raul. I know in most threads RAWK is one big pisstake but there are certain threads that never fail to amaze me in terms of how much good advice and support is offered up, obviously this being one of them.

Best of luck for your Dad. I have to say I’m a little nervous at the moment, My Dad had to go in for a procedure to run some tests on his prostate a few months ago after his test scores raised a few questions. It seemed like everything was ok. He’s since been told that his numbers have doubled (not sure what that means in medical terms, it’s all new to me) and has to have another operation next month. Obviously hoping it’s just routine and that they’re taking sensible precautions but it doesn’t half get your mind wandering.

My Grandad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 years ago. They didn't have much hope for him as it had spread. 6 years on and he's still going. Some of the treatment they can oiffer is very good. The cancer in his blood levels went from 10 to no almost non-existant in response to the hormone treatment he received. It has steadily increased in the past year to 22 but he's testing a new drug and last month his levels decreased to 18 but have gone back up to 23 now. He doesn't half get worried but the docs obviously aren't concerned because they're njow only checking him once every 3 months again.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1123 on: January 6, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »
What a brave and terrific guy you had Vicky.

At least you've got all his posts up here to remind you and your kids anytime of how special he was and how many of us thought so much of him.

He's your guardian angel now and will be taking care of your lot in subtle little ways.

All our best.
Kill the humourless

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: January 9, 2012, 03:49:46 am »
Because of the Xmas break and coming home for Xmas I've haven't been on here for a while but popped into this thread specifically to see how TSIS was holding up. Gut wrenching news and my thoughts are with you Vicky and Dan's family. He was such a fighter and cheerful throughout - a real inspiration. RIP Dan - you never walked alone.

Offline RedAtHeart

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1125 on: January 9, 2012, 04:14:14 am »
My Dad had to go in for a procedure to run some tests on his prostate a few months ago after his test scores raised a few questions. It seemed like everything was ok. He’s since been told that his numbers have doubled (not sure what that means in medical terms, it’s all new to me) and has to have another operation next month. Obviously hoping it’s just routine and that they’re taking sensible precautions but it doesn’t half get your mind wandering.

My dad got prostate cancer about a year and a half back. They caught it pretty early, and he recovered pretty quickly after the procedure, didn't do chemo. Hope it goes well for your dad, if its cancer it seems like they discovered it early, and from what little I know its one of the easier ones to recover from. It certainly makes your mind wander though, just the word cancer makes my stomach feel like a black hole. Was given the news over christmas of another family member getting cancer, which had spread so far that they can only treat to make her feel better, curing it is out of the picture. And she has never smoked her entire life, nor had more than maybe a glass of wine every two weeks, has been fit as any, and in her 70s she still got called up being begged to do shifts at work even after she retired. Fucking unfair this shitehouse of a disease.

Best of wishes for you and your family mate, hope it all goes well.

Would also like to add a RIP to The Sky I Scrape. Read back a bit on his history, and seems like a wonderful person taken away too early. My thoughts are with the family, stay strong.
Boom

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #1126 on: January 9, 2012, 07:47:40 am »
Just had a letter back from the Hospital about my biopsy. It was inconclusive so I have to go to an Interesting Case clinic for a follow up.
The doc who did the biopsy said this might happen. It isn't the all clear I was hoping for, but it also isn't the bad news I was dreading...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: January 9, 2012, 07:52:00 am »
Best wishes to you Jason. Hope you hear good news soon.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #1128 on: January 9, 2012, 08:00:52 am »
Thats something i guess Jason. Cant have you laid up mate, i intend to head out for a beer with you at some stage this year ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #1129 on: January 9, 2012, 08:08:59 am »
All the best Jason!
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #1130 on: January 9, 2012, 09:31:27 am »
Fingers crossed here, Jason! :wave

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: January 9, 2012, 10:53:30 am »
All the best Jason, hope it turns out to be nothing.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: January 9, 2012, 11:00:34 am »
Ill ask this in here as my rather crap internet connection means surfing takes ages so......

How close are we to finding a cure for cancer. Or treatment to allay it. Are all Cancers the same? Ie is Cancer Cancer or are there different strains if you get me. I never asked that when Mum and Dad were diagnosed last year as it seemed pointless and tried to shut it out. If my question upsets/offends anyone please feel free to tell me and ill remove it.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1133 on: January 9, 2012, 11:06:27 am »
Magin, Jambutty, Red at Heart – thanks very much for your posts.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #1134 on: January 9, 2012, 11:10:14 am »
Thanks guys, Nick I hope your old man gets himself sorted out...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: January 9, 2012, 11:23:48 am »
The problem with a "cure" for cancer is that cancer is so complicated a disease, and to answer another of your questions, not all cancers are the same. There are hundreds of different kinds of cancer and they all affect different parts and behave in different ways. So there wont ever be a single pill or course of treatment that will be able to cure any cancer you have, but we are getting ever closer to being able to manage and stop certain cancers. But like i said, its hugely complicated and not all cancers behave the same way.

For example, we could find a cure for breast cancer, but it woudnt necessarily work on prostate cancer or lung cancer since they could affect the body in different ways.

At the moment we can technically cure a few cancers like some leukaemia with chemotherapy and we can cut out cancerous tumours and follow up with radiotherapy. But these are typically cases that are caught early and curing cancer when its spread and has taken hold is nigh on impossible.

If you have the time, i recommend this excellent piece by David Gorski. Its a bit technical and may lose you if youve never read any medical stuff before, but its definitely worth a read even if you dont go into  the more technical medical aspects of it:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/why-havent-we-cured-cancer-yet/

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #1136 on: January 9, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »
RIP The Sky I Scrape/Dan and sincerest condolences Vicky. As many have said, his positivity in the face of ultimate adversity is something that I have also found deeply inspiring and helpful in deaing with cancer issues in my own life.

This made me think of something people often say on this site - "its only the internet".  No it is not - it is an aspect of real life and as valid and tangible a community as any other.  What I have got from here over the years has helped, informed, enlighted and consoled me and that must be a good thing.  I have found at least as much humanity and empathy here as "in real life" and at times been able to say things and get honest feedback the likes of which people are often hesitant to give face to face.

In that context, people in this thread have been a great help - luckily for me, my Dad seems to be OK. Surgery and 7 rounds of chemo done and other than minor seizures, which apparently are normal after brain surgery, is currently in good shape to celebrate his 70th birthday Sunday after next.

Thanks all and Dan, we will be thinking about you.

This is a great post my good man. :wave

So sad to read about Dan, really moved by his last few posts and by the final message from Vicky. Rest In Peace.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #1137 on: January 9, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1138 on: January 9, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
Ill ask this in here as my rather crap internet connection means surfing takes ages so......

How close are we to finding a cure for cancer. Or treatment to allay it. Are all Cancers the same? Ie is Cancer Cancer or are there different strains if you get me. I never asked that when Mum and Dad were diagnosed last year as it seemed pointless and tried to shut it out. If my question upsets/offends anyone please feel free to tell me and ill remove it.
The trouble is that there is no such thing as "cancer"

In reality, what we call cancer is a wide range of diseases with a range of causes and effects on the body.

Some are caused by viruses, some are genetic, some are caused by lifestyle choices.

So, a cure for cancer is impossible, as it would imply a cure for a huge range of diseases.

In reality, we have learned how to cure (or greatly improve survival rates) for many many cancers, but as always the secret to beating them is spotting and treating them early.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: January 9, 2012, 08:44:01 pm »
Just had a letter back from the Hospital about my biopsy. It was inconclusive so I have to go to an Interesting Case clinic for a follow up.
The doc who did the biopsy said this might happen. It isn't the all clear I was hoping for, but it also isn't the bad news I was dreading...

We always knew you were an interesting case ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: January 9, 2012, 09:18:36 pm »
I hope it all goes well in the end jason mate, keep the spirits up.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: January 9, 2012, 11:06:39 pm »
Dan's funeral - or farewell party, as Vicky refers to it - is taking place tomorrow morning. Friends and family were getting him a big Liverpool badge and raising money for the Clatterbridge Oncology Unit.

I still can't quite believe he's gone and I can't imagine how hard it must be for his loved ones. Will be thinking about this great man tomorrow.

Best of luck to you, Jason - will be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a good outcome.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #1142 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:38 am »
I don't know what to say to my dad about his cancer. we don't know yet if it has spread or if they've caught it early but still.....I'm scared to ask him about it. I'm scared to bring it up. I keep thinking things will turn out good because the alternative scares me too much.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #1143 on: January 10, 2012, 12:06:52 am »
I don't know what to say to my dad about his cancer. we don't know yet if it has spread or if they've caught it early but still.....I'm scared to ask him about it. I'm scared to bring it up. I keep thinking things will turn out good because the alternative scares me too much.

At first when my dad was diagnosed with cancer it was odd to talk about but we quickly learned that it was there, it had become a part of our lives, so there was no need to avoid the topic. Sooner or later we had to deal with it in some way. We chose to use humor about it and it helped us get round that difficult subject. My dad stayed positive and kept believing until the end... RIP Dad. Miss you... xxx

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #1144 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:42 am »
At first when my dad was diagnosed with cancer it was odd to talk about but we quickly learned that it was there, it had become a part of our lives, so there was no need to avoid the topic. Sooner or later we had to deal with it in some way. We chose to use humor about it and it helped us get round that difficult subject. My dad stayed positive and kept believing until the end... RIP Dad. Miss you... xxx

Thanks. I suppose I just feel that it's the most ridiculous thing....I'm studying nursing so I should know it can happen to anyone but still....you never really think it's gonna happen to someone close to yourself.

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:55 am »

There are many different forms of cancer which vary greatly.  However, the broad term of cancer essentially boils down to cells which become faulty (mutant) and are immune or invincible from the body's natural defences.  The body is constantly destroying old cells and generating new ones to replace the old and many many times during that daily process it creates mutant cells which the body quickly detects and easily destroys in order to rectify the problem.  However, every now and again, due to a wide variety of potential reasons (internal and external), the body will create a mutant cell which it doesn't detect, or can't detect, or can detect but can't destroy, which is essentially a cancerous cell which then, to all intents and purposes, takes a life form of itself by multiplying.

In terms of treatment, there are many forms of cancer which are treatable nowadays, and indeed science has made great grounds in looking at ways of preventing certain forms of cancer.  However there is a very very long way to go before you can take the term 'cancer' and say that is curable.  I'm an optimist though and I hope that we get there one day.

Hope that helps a little :wave

My thoughts to those on here who are dealing with cancer, or helping a family member or friend through it.  Stay strong.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: January 10, 2012, 01:22:34 am »
This past page alone gives so much invaluable information and insight into something that affects me closely everyday, and yet i knew little about. So much so that i've promised myself that I'm gong to read more topics unrelated to me to me on here and remain less ignorant in general from here onwards.

What i've learned about cancer, as stated above, every case is different. No two cases are unique and what applies to one person, does not necessarily apply to another.

RIP and my sincere condolences and strength to anyone on here, who has lost someone close to them, to this disease or otherwise recently.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:26:57 am by Magin85 »

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1147 on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:07 am »

It will never be easy and it won't get easier. All I can say is, have no regrets, that will hurt you more than you are scared now.

A lad I know, not very well mind, early 20's, picked me out at a party on Xmas Day and had a chat with me as he wanted a bit of advice as he knew what I'd just been/still going through and he himself hadn't talked a great deal with his dad, being blokes, we tend to just bottle things up and deal with the problems on our own. His dad is terminal and this lad is getting married in March and he's frightened his dad won't make it to the wedding. I saw him again the following day and he'd had a long chat with his auld fella, plenty tears, plenty hugs and you could tell a little bit of weight had lifted from his shoulders.

All I really said to him would be the same, stay strong and positive but tell your dad everything you want to tell him and ask any questions you feel is right. There may be...there will be tears but your dad will appreciate every word you say and I'm sure physcology has a big part to play in this, it may not make him better but he'll feel a whole lot better inside and that will be a big help to both of you. Once you've broken that barrier things will be a whole lot easier in the future. Good luck and god bless.

Jason, good luck pal, I'm sure and hoping all will be well.  :wave
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:45:55 am by keithcun »
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #1148 on: January 10, 2012, 08:28:30 am »
It will never be easy and it won't get easier. All I can say is, have no regrets, that will hurt you more than you are scared now.

A lad I know, not very well mind, early 20's, picked me out at a party on Xmas Day and had a chat with me as he wanted a bit of advice as he knew what I'd just been/still going through and he himself hadn't talked a great deal with his dad, being blokes, we tend to just bottle things up and deal with the problems on our own. His dad is terminal and this lad is getting married in March and he's frightened his dad won't make it to the wedding. I saw him again the following day and he'd had a long chat with his auld fella, plenty tears, plenty hugs and you could tell a little bit of weight had lifted from his shoulders.

All I really said to him would be the same, stay strong and positive but tell your dad everything you want to tell him and ask any questions you feel is right. There may be...there will be tears but your dad will appreciate every word you say and I'm sure physcology has a big part to play in this, it may not make him better but he'll feel a whole lot better inside and that will be a big help to both of you. Once you've broken that barrier things will be a whole lot easier in the future. Good luck and god bless.

Jason, good luck pal, I'm sure and hoping all will be well.  :wave

Thank you. I really appreciate your advice.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1149 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:17 am »
Jesus, it no longer seems to be that you grow old an die does it? It's more of a case you get born and then you pretty much wait until you get Cancer.

The Girlfriends mother has been battling Cancer for the third time for the past year. She's been doing well, very well infact. Has now just gotten the news her best friend's Husband has got it and it's very aggressive and spreading. It's sent my birds mother into a spiral (she's her own worst enemy as she worries so much that she can't eat it and sleep).

I'm gutted for them, they were just great with Emma's mum and they had their whole retirement plans set out for next month to take an 18 month trip driving around Australia, they were so excited. I'm devastated for Dave, honestly one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Never thoguht I'd bve so close to tears with a siutation like this, these guys are my adopted family since I've come over from Ireland. They have welcomed me as one of their own and I feel absolutely helpless that you can't do a fucking thing to these wonderful people who've been so nice to me.

The thought of poor barney getting carried out the car as she couldn't even stand she was so caught up is killing me, and the thought of what it's doing to Emma's mum is just not worth thinking about.

Fucking awful, awful disease. 
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1150 on: January 12, 2012, 06:39:00 am »
I feel for you ScaryScouse, I really do. It's not just the patient, it's the others who are left in the wake as well.

It just seems a lot more prevalent now than it was 20 yrs ago, but that may just be my conception of being around it or the fact they can idnetify it much easier than they could.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1151 on: January 12, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »
Cheers dude. I went out with the girlfriend and her sister last night had agood feed and a few drinks to take everyone's mind off it.

Best thing we could have done instead of mopping around the house. The most important thing is that Emma's mum has made a decision she's not goin gto let it get her down.

Just what you're saying about 20 years ago, yeah maybe you're right about it being more easily identifiable and all that Jazz. I do know that 20 years ago if some one got it (and it seemed to be less common) it was a death sentence, which in fairness this days it isn't neccessarily.

Awful fucking thing though, you sort of almost feel guilty when you feel yourself cheering up.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: January 13, 2012, 09:00:56 am »
My grandad is going into a Macmillan home today so they can regulate his medication better and keep him more comfortable. He's so weak now and the pain meds just make him sleep almost constantly. You can have conversations with him and the next minute he's tired out so he has a sleep.

It's really starting to hit me now, its just the kick that it's the beginning of the end so to speak. All we can do now is make him comfortable and to spend as much time with him as we can. It's just hard seeing him so weak and drained. It doesn't seem 5 minutes ago that he was completely healthy, but now he can barely sit himself up in bed.

I just hate seeing him fight this horrible disease, the only plus being that we got to spend one last Christmas with him. They gave him 6 months and that was 9 months ago, he's got some fight for a little man!

Offline The Mrs

• is smashing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ex
« Reply #1153 on: January 13, 2012, 09:07:28 pm »
Looked back at this thread to catch up and see how everyone was doing, as i went through the pages i was thinking, please, please be on page 30, please still be there... and one by one they were gone.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of those who fought to the end, be strong, and proud of the people who will always be with you.

xxx YNWA xxx
Most definitely DID NOT start this whole skin wearing malarky!!

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: January 22, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »
I've never had anyone close to me have cancer or die from it. However a good friend of mine went in for a routine op on Thursday to remove a benign tumour near her spine. She was in surgery for 8 hours with as many complications as there could be and then went to the ICU. We thought she was through the worst of it but I just got a phone call to let me know it wasn't benign, she is riddled with cancer and could die any day now but has been given a maximum of 2 weeks to live.

I don't really know how I feel right now. I know I need to beg, borrow or steal enough money to get us down to Somerset to see her for probably the last time as soon as possible, before it's too late.. I can't believe it though. Surely there's a chance she won't go and she'll have months left? Doctors arent always right.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: January 22, 2012, 06:13:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that Carys but the doctors are rarely wrong hun. I thought the same about my parents and they were bang on the money about them both. Sorry to not give better hope. I hope you see her soon.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: January 22, 2012, 06:22:03 pm »
I'm driving down tomorrow, work permitting. Thanks.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #1157 on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »
In June 2010 Mr May was told he wouldn't make Christmas.  By Christmas just gone every tumour had disappeared.  So there is always hope.  Your friend does seem very bad, and (at the risk of you snapping at me), you need to find the strength to put aside your own fear and shock and be positive towards her.  Good luck.   
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: January 22, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »
Carys, ask if she is on the Liverpool pathway plan. My Dad was on it and its amazing help for the patient. My Mum was shamefully neglected and just left on a mat on the floor of the ward, but i cannot fault the LPP.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: January 22, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »
In June 2010 Mr May was told he wouldn't make Christmas.  By Christmas just gone every tumour had disappeared.  So there is always hope.  Your friend does seem very bad, and (at the risk of you snapping at me), you need to find the strength to put aside your own fear and shock and be positive towards her.  Good luck.   

I'll certainly be positive, it just seems to me that everyone has accepted the doctors word for it when she may live longer. Someone at work was given a month to live and he's still around 3 years later so I don't want to give up on her as dead just yet.