Author Topic: So the commercial office of LIVERPOOL FC will be London huh  (Read 101244 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So the commercial epicentre of LIVERPOOL FC will be London huh
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »
Has Uniteds commercial centre been moved to London?
They have two I think.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »
Has Uniteds commercial centre been moved to London?

Seems so

http://www.odgersberndtson.co.uk/gb/executive-opportunities/opportunity-details/45665/

The role will be based at the Manchester United offices in Central London with significant travel to Manchester and overseas.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 03:34:23 pm »
Absolutely bang on the money. We stood still in the 90's where as United didn't and they got a massive head start. We really can't be left behind anymore unless some Sheikh takes us over and I presume we don't want that and become something likes of Man  City and the plastics.

Got fuck all to do with having a London office though mate .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »
So BH is relocating from Boston to London. Is that worse than him being based in Boston?

Is it not going to be slightly easier for him to be in Liverpool regularly if he is based in London rather than Boston? He has other interests too.

If he was relocating from Liverpool to London, I'd see your point more clearly.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »
They're moving the business stuff to London?

Who the fuck cares.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »
Fucking hell, is it national hyperbole day or something?

I've heard they have thousands of those every year.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »
;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »
Forgive me if I'm considerably less than underwhelmed that the Chief Commercial Officer of LIVERPOOL football Club is relocating from Boston to fucking London. Some message that sends out. I presume the commercial epicentre of The BOSTON Red Sox was New York or Washington.

As a full red blooded and passionate LIVERPUDLIAN - both city and footy club - I think it's a load of absolute fuckin shite and those responsible should hang their heads in fucking shame to entertain such a move for even a fleeting second.

Read the Fall from Grace thread at STFU.

Btw if you swear or use a lot of redundant words people listen less not more. See Bob Paisley and his softly spoken voice.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »

I feel like our names and custom titles are starting to merge into one...
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »
I feel like our names and custom titles are starting to merge into one...

Is that you Young?

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »
So BH is relocating from Boston to London. Is that worse than him being based in Boston?

Is it not going to be slightly easier for him to be in Liverpool regularly if he is based in London rather than Boston? He has other interests too.

If he was relocating from Liverpool to London, I'd see your point more clearly.

It would be a bit easier getting to Liverpool if he was already in Liverpool .

Personally ,I'm not that arsed if they do have a London Office . Moreso , the the extent of the operations to be managed from London , which the article doesn't really clarify .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »

There are many reasons for Liverpool not winning the title in the laste 25 years , but not having a commercial hub in London is not one of them .

Alright, I'll bite: I disagree. I think it's a factor.
We piss and moan when we can't compete in the transfer windows but it's not just TV money that makes the world go round for the business side of the club is it?
We all know that there's a load of work to be done here and whilst Hogan might have done a poor job of understanding how important stuff like this is to Liverpudlians he would also be looking like a tit if he said he was only going to have offices in Liverpool when all of the sports licensing, tv and network deals are getting done in London.

It would be symbolically right, but financially sentimental to base a commercial marketing office in Liverpool and the kind of money that these deals generate is massive - more significant than ST sales or a good cup run by far, and we know we're late to the party.. so it's entirely plausible that with a stronger profile and greater income we would have been buying better players or matching contracts or just not selling Alonso... lots of little things that maybe would have been able to make the difference.

No telling whether or not it definitely wasn't a factor in us not lifting no 19.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »
Alright, I'll bite: I disagree. I think it's a factor.

We'll agree to disagree . We fucked up plenty of things over the years , but the London thing had very little ( if anything ) to do with it .

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »
We'll agree to disagree . We fucked up plenty of things over the years , but the London thing had very little ( if anything ) to do with it .

It's not being based in London per se, more not being commercially astute enough to keep up with the Joneses. At least that is being addressed now.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 03:43:57 pm »
They have two I think.

Their marketing and corporate sponsorship sales teams have been based out of Mayfair for at least four years.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »
I suppose it's one of those where if he lives in London he'll have to do a lot of travelling to Liverpool, if he lives in Liverpool he'll probably have to do even more travelling to London.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »
It's not being based in London per se, more not being commercially astute enough to keep up with the Joneses. At least that is being addressed now.

Indeed .

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »
Makes sense to me. With the amount of international travel required from parties tying down commercial deals, London is probably the best place for our commercial headquarters to locate (and a lot better than Boston). It's closer to major international airports and the corporate offices of the international companies with whom we do business. Face to face meetings are still a significant part of major financial deals. Pragmatic choice.   

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »
Looks like we've opened up a London office and he's going to be located there.  Our Chief Commercial Officer is going to be located in London, the biggest financial city in the world, and...wait, what's the problem again?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
Looks like we've opened up a London office and he's going to be located there.  Our Chief Commercial Officer is going to be located in London, the biggest financial city in the world, and...wait, what's the problem again?

I have no idea and Timbo is one of the sane posters on here. 

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »
He should have stayed in Boston.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2014, 04:02:55 pm »
The issue for me is about concentration of power in London.  As a club LFC should be doing everything it can to support the local economy.  Imagine the benefits to the economy locally of it's senior management committing to the town it represents,  not to mention the actual financial benefits and jobs helped by doing business locally..  We're in a global world,  business can be conducted anywhere.  Sends out a bit of a stinky message to me.  The north is already at a massive disadvantage compared to London,  the club should not be aiding this.  This London-centric shit has to stop :(
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
Bayern Munich have an office in NYC. Pep loves that city. Ergo, Bayern Munich are going to be moving to NYC.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:28 pm »
Think about this for a second. Nobody had a problem when he was staying 5000 more kilometers away in Boston :lmao

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »
Think about this for a second. Nobody had a problem when he was staying 5000 more kilometers away in Boston :lmao

:lmao

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
Exactly. It's pretty bizarre.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:20 pm »
He should have stayed in Boston.

Why?

I don't mean that in an argumentative way, just wanted to know why you think that.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »
Exactly. It's pretty bizarre.

Haven't got the time to expand on this at the moment.

I will say though there's some apologists in this thread - and you're the daddy of them all.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »
Read the Fall from Grace thread at STFU.

Btw if you swear or use a lot of redundant words people listen less not more. See Bob Paisley and his softly spoken voice.

Agreed. I do swear far too fuckin much. Far too fucking much.

But this sort of caper makes my blood boil. It's so surreptitious and it appeals to exactly the sort of thinking to which my own instincts are so diametricaly opposed.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2014, 04:19:03 pm »
I have no idea and Timbo is one of the sane posters on here.

You're right, you have no idea, Samie  :)
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »
Haven't got the time to expand on this at the moment.

I will say though there's some apologists in this thread - and you're the daddy of them all.
I'm no apologist, I'm a pragmatist and I'd also ask you politely to stop being so aggressive with people who don't agree with you and who have calmly listed their very sensible reasons as to why they don't agree with you.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »

But this sort of caper makes my blood boil. It's so surreptitious and it appeals to exactly the sort of thinking to which my own instincts are so diametricaly opposed.

Did you feel absolute disgust and anger when he was based out of Boston ? A totally different country altogether ?

Anyway, if it helps the club get better deals then what is the problem? It is not as if the club is moving to London. We are opening an office in London to bolster the "commercial aspects' of the club. In the financial capital of the world. So far he was shuttling between Boston and Liverpool. Now he would do London and Liverpool.

Read this again - Nothing that was in Liverpool is being moved out. We are opening an additional presence in London. To help us commercially. Nothing more.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
Silly thread.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »
Hmm. I bet that office space is expensive.  :-X

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:04 pm »
Why?

I don't mean that in an argumentative way, just wanted to know why you think that.

It was sarcasm.

This whole thread is because our Boston based VP has decided to make his office in London. And it's the end of the Club as we know it. He should be in Liverpool.

As some have pointed out you can office from anywhere. So he should have stayed in Boston.

Maybe he's living in Boston and commuting back and forth when deals are to be done, so he meet's the clients half way. I dunno.

What i do know is it is silly some mention he should have an office in Liverpool to create more jobs there, when in fact if he does his job well, he does create more jobs in the local Liverpool area.

We have new Corporate suites to fill. Suites not even built yet. So there is nothing to show the Corporate types yet deals need to be worked on now. And knocking on doors around London with busy executives makes more sense than have them travel to Liverpool to see their new suite that ain't there.

There are other commercial deal to be done as well. If we are trying to attract a new sponsor from Asia, do those planes fly direct to Liverpool? So it is easier to meet them in London.

It's also easier to stay away from the baggage handlers at John Lennon airport and the rumor mill as i would suspect some player deals could start in London and be consummated in Liverpool at the appropriate time.

So there are a lot of potential benefits for the Club.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:50 pm »

Ok first of all I apoligise for having a go at your swearing. I'm a c*nt for bad language myself. Mate I guess you're a scouser? I'm half a one, whatever that means. However we cant be held back commercially anymore.
Sometimes The Liverpool Way doesn't add up in the shit that is now modern Football. We have to move on.  Sponsors and money men are in London, not Liverpool. Its shit, but its true.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:17 pm »
Craig!!!!!

:wave

Of all the ridiculous things I've seen people get angry about on this website, this has to be up there as one of the most ridiculous.

Our sponsors are not, for the most part, local to the club, so it makes sense having an office in London. Ayre (the CEO) and the vast majority of our employees are all based in and around Liverpool so it's just utterly ridiculous to get mad about it.

We have offices in the Far East and the US for commercial activities too, lets get mad about those. We also have TV/website employees dotted all around the world too, grrrr. We've also got massive shop operations in the Far East and expanding to others around the world too, ahhh.  :no :no

What about our non-Liverpudlian Manager coming here and living in Southport? LET'S ALL SHOUT AND SCREAM.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »
It was sarcasm.

This whole thread is because our Boston based VP has decided to make his office in London. And it's the end of the Club as we know it. He should be in Liverpool.

As some have pointed out you can office from anywhere. So he should have stayed in Boston.

Maybe he's living in Boston and commuting back and forth when deals are to be done, so he meet's the clients half way. I dunno.

What i do know is it is silly some mention he should have an office in Liverpool to create more jobs there, when in fact if he does his job well, he does create more jobs in the local Liverpool area.

We have new Corporate suites to fill. Suites not even built yet. So there is nothing to show the Corporate types yet deals need to be worked on now. And knocking on doors around London with busy executives makes more sense than have them travel to Liverpool to see their new suite that ain't there.

There are other commercial deal to be done as well. If we are trying to attract a new sponsor from Asia, do those planes fly direct to Liverpool? So it is easier to meet them in London.

It's also easier to stay away from the baggage handlers at John Lennon airport and the rumor mill as i would suspect some player deals could start in London and be consummated in Liverpool at the appropriate time.

So there are a lot of potential benefits for the Club.

You could have stopped typing there....  :)

I had hoped it was sarcasm, but you can't always tell on here......

I am always delighted when we try and improve and increase our commercial deals.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »
Fan of your posts Timbo but think this is mountains out of molehills.

Liverpool may be the centre of our universe but unfortunately it's not the centre of the universe for businessmen. Fuck 'em anyway, they're usually bad blerts, they're welcome to that London.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2014, 05:28:28 pm »
They're moving the business stuff to London?

Who the fuck cares.

Big finance has congregated to where there is the least regulation.  The Neoliberal financial structure incentivizes London as a hub because of incredible regulatory laxity of markets (see any of the more recent scandals like the LIBOR scandal, London Whale, Leeson etc.).  One only need to read about the financial uses of game theory on wikipedia to begin to imagine how pension funds, high-frequency trading, or shady deals get made in the epicenter of Big finance.

While the crowd may minimize this move or provide some mediating context for it, Timbo does has a point to make here (embedded in our oligarchic system) that Liverpool FC does not have to pay fealty to London. 

In other words, they have made a choice.  One that Mrs. Alexis Sanchez apparently made recently as well.  It would be interesting to gain more information as to why this choice was made and in what context. 

Presently, I do not have enough information to consolidate my view here, but I tend to think Timbo's OP should be discussed more in terms of substance rather than rejected as "hyperbole".   

Btw, the Shawshank image was a good call!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer