Author Topic: Testimonials – anyone worthy? - Still an Anfield tradition?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline pee-jay

• the reincarnation of Scall
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I’ve seen many a testimonial at Anfield for past Liverpool players, held as a tribute to their outstanding achievements and service to the club. The most recent are as follows:-

16th May 2000 - Ronnie Moran
21st May 2000 – Staunton
9th August 1996 – Jan Molby
9th August 1993 – Ronnie Whelan
10th October 1993 – Steve Nicol
10th October 1992 – Bruce Grobbelaar
15th August 1990 – Kenny Dalglish

I can think of a few more recent past players who have proudly worn the Red shirt of Liverpool who would warrant a testimonial at Anfield, so us fans can say thank you.

Do you consider player testimonials just as relevant today, and if so whom would you think deserves one?

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Testimonials – anyone worthy? - Still an Anfield tradition?
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2003, 11:12:39 am »
interesting question, I reckon alot of people have gone off these events now as the players are mostly millionaires anyway.

I think what Niall Quinn done was sound, giving the money to charity. It ensured a good attendance and helped people.  

I think they should charge about £10 for entrance but I guess they have got police,leccy,staff costs etc to cover.

To answer your question, I personally dont think they are as relevant nowadays.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2003, 11:15:36 am »
these events are very relevant for lower league team stalwarts as they generally have a bleak future outside the game.

:wave

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2003, 12:46:56 pm »
I think they are relevant, up to a point. After all expenses the rest of the money should shared among local charities, ( of the players choice if pos ) Todays players, in the top leagues, have enough money and I see no need to give them an extra payday. I think they have died out due to the fact that players don't tend to stay at clubs for great lengths of time. There are of course exceptions to the rule but to qualfy, I don't know the ruling at the moment, would be a minimum of 10 years as a first team "squad" member.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2003, 12:47:42 pm by mobydick »

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2003, 04:10:15 pm »
They are still relavent, but not really for the money - not for 'big' players anyway.

I think they can provide a decent celebration for a players career, and at least in recent cases money has gone to charity

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2003, 04:22:08 pm »
I think nowadays it would have to be some really special... like Owen.

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Roddysul

« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2003, 05:58:30 pm »
think the teams are always worried about a player getting injured in them these days

Offline Jonny_H

• aliday
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2003, 07:05:51 pm »
they are just events for giving extremely rich footballers loads of money when they dont need it.  the money should go to charity
There are only two teams in liverpool, liverpool and liverpool reserves.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2003, 09:26:17 pm »
Only Owen and Stevie G eventually i think - and obviously BIG IG! (The campaign starts here...)
« Last Edit: May 7, 2003, 09:26:53 pm by daddymac »
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2003, 10:42:35 pm »
I think football clubs should all host charity matches in anycase, Not just to honour a player. Have all the old boys, few celeb fans playing with a few first team players.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline nobody

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Testimonials ... an Anfield tradition?
« Reply #10 on: May 8, 2003, 08:08:45 am »
Perhaps some off you need reminding what the Anfield tradition on testimonials were upto until 1977.

A player would only get a testimonial when they retired from the game. In that way a player would get a lump sum, hopefully to set themselves up in retirement (eg buy a pub).
However, in 77 Tommy Smith said he would retire following the Euro final and so had a testimonial arranged for him but then decided not too (breaking the tradition).

This left this stupid, 10 year rule!!!

I do not believe they have any place in the top flight game (perhaps if 100% was given to charity I would accept the players ego trip). It does still have a place at lower reach's of the game (if anyone would turn up to these testimonials).

Charity matches??? Well their's one on Saturday at Anfield!!!

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2003, 11:32:03 am »
What about Gary Mac?? Think he deserves it!

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #12 on: May 9, 2003, 02:42:12 pm »
John Barnes - 1987-97.

IIRC he didn't have one, not sure why - though he was on a good wage even back then.

Anyone know any more on why he didn't have one?
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
Testimonials
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 06:23:35 pm »
Its been mentioned that Lucas may be in line for a testimonial, seeing as he is now the longest serving player at the club (10 years).

We have not had alot of testimonials over the years for players (Gerrard, Carra, Ronnie Moran, Molby, Rush, Nicol and Whelan just off the top of my head).

Does anyone know why John Barnes and Sami Hyypia were not awarded one? Both are club legends and thought it would have been well deserved.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Testimonials
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »
They're a waste of time these days really aren't they? Previously used as a fund raiser for players retiring. Nowadays players 'earn' disgusting amounts of money while whole countries are living in poverty. So they aren't really required. As for why Sami or Barnes didn't get one, no idea.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 06:35:16 pm »
They're a waste of time these days really aren't they? Previously used as a fund raiser for players retiring. Nowadays players 'earn' disgusting amounts of money while whole countries are living in poverty. So they aren't really required. As for why Sami or Barnes didn't get one, no idea.

They tend to be for charity these days, so well worth doing.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »
They tend to be for charity these days, so well worth doing.

One way of looking at it. But the players could donate the amount of money a testimonial generates without it having much of an affect on their bank balance. I'd imagine it would be the equivalent to you or I donating £100

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 06:42:52 pm »
One way of looking at it. But the players could donate the amount of money a testimonial generates without it having much of an affect on their bank balance. I'd imagine it would be the equivalent to you or I donating £100

It's a bit of a fun day out with mates having a kick about and donating the proceeds to a given charity, don't see what the issue is?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:16 pm »
It's a bit of a fun day out with mates having a kick about and donating the proceeds to a given charity, don't see what the issue is?

No issue. I just don't see the point in them anymore. Each to their own.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
Re: Testimonials – anyone worthy? - Still an Anfield tradition?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
I can see a Lucas testimonial where a diana ross world cup scenario is set up  in front of the goal and he still misses.
dios esta buena

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 07:50:15 pm »
This alone was worth bringing the thread back to life. ;D

I think nowadays it would have to be some really special... like Owen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:34 pm »
No issue. I just don't see the point in them anymore. Each to their own.

I thought they'd become meaningless until Niall Quinn had his and something like £1 million was raised for charity. If the money went to the players, then I'd want them stopped. These days not many players stay for 5 years never mind 10, so they're not that common anymore.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:03 pm »

You sound like a grumpy old man. :)  If you don't care, ignore it.

A testamonial is a way to celebrate a player who has played the bulk of their career with us. Although the money doesn't matter to the player anymore, there is even more reason to celebrate today. Why? Because it is really rare these days for a player to be at a club for 10 years, and becoming rarer.

Lucas is a survivor. 3 owners, 5 managers, major injuries...etc. That should be celebrated.

I for one would like to see a testimonial match featuring our players from the Rafa to Klopp years. Another benefit is it allows us to 'say good-bye' to players that have left us. I still remember the reception that Torres got at Anfield for Stevie's match.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:42:46 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seρor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:24 pm »
Am I wrong to think its a bit strange that Staunton got one?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:48 pm »
Richie Partridge can't have been far off getting one.
AHA!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
I wouldn't mind if Lucas got one, but I don't really think he should get one just because it's been 10 years. Maybe people will think it's reason for one - but for me especially not if he's going to be leaving here. He's still got a career after us!

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:46 pm »
Their time has passed

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:14 pm »
I'd 100% back the Club hosting a testimonial for Lucas, and would be keen to attend.

Gate receipts split halfway between the Club's charity and one chosen by the player.

A smattering of former players reinforcing the sense of a broader 'family'.

I can't really see the downside.

I suspect, with lower ticket prices than for a usual match, it might also be an opportunity to get some youngsters into the ground...local schools and so on.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:14 pm »
I honestly feel he deserves one. A good point made on The Anfield Wrap in 2015,  Lucas was essentially used as a vehicle to berate Rafa. For someone that got a lot of stick, despite being so young in those early years, and perservering to where he is now, shows that.

When he got injured in that Carling Cup game v Chelsea,  it felt like at the time like Sadio Mane's departure this season. He was in the form of his life.

His son is at the academy, so there is a great family relationship there. Not to mention he was one of few players who invited the cameras into his home for the Being Liverpool documentary, (not exactly something you give a testimonial for, but shows he goes above and beyond the call of duty).

Can't remember if he made it back for the Final in 2012, as he was injured in November, if not was such a shame.

Let's not forget, he nearly scored the winner in a Merseyside derby at Goodison, hadn't Phil Neville handled it. Always felt that was his winner not Kuyt's but a win is a win.

Everytime a new manager after Rafa looks like they are going to sell him, he reinvents himself and is an integral fixture in their plans.

Honestly, this man has been such a loyal servant, (term overused, but very apt in this case). Suffered a barrage of abuse at times, but remained humble, kept fighting and never relented from the communal cause.

I'd say give him one, yes I feel Sami deserved one too, and was dismayed he didn't get one, but wouldn't let that be a precedent behind the logistics of arranging a well deserved testimonial for Mr Leiva.
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 07:50:39 pm »
Yeah, Lucas deserves a testimonial for his years at the club.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:14 pm »
I'd love to see a player get one and use the money in a way that can be visually seen in the city , even for example the Lucas leiva community centre or sports centre in an area of Liverpool . A different thing but one thing I've been saying for a few years with all the money and  interest in football in the city , the two clubs could have an annual pre season friendly which would easily raise a million pound in revenue every year  and be used to build and maintain extra facilities in deprived areas of the city form the young of our city

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:57 pm »
Not a Anfield tradition everyone does it, Most recent were Gerrard's and Cara's. Hyypia should have gotten one, Lucas maybe deserves one.

Don't see why they shouldn't happen fun day out, for charity and you can actually watch footy without the rage for some of the players infront of you.

Offline imnofreak

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 01:49:27 am »
I'd definitely agree that Lucas deserves one.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:36 am »
Every penny should go to charity/worthy cause...there's no other justification for having them in this era of ridiculously wealthy footballers
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 03:08:35 am »
A day where I can go on the piss and actually have a chance at sitting next to my mates in the ground? No reason why not :hally

And I reckon Lucas deserves it for his sheer perseverance alone.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 03:43:19 am »
Lucas Leiva is liverpool through and through.
Seen us win everything

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 03:56:11 am »
I don't get why this is even a debate. There are no negatives. Particularly regarding our longest standing player.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 04:38:46 am »
Absolutely Lucas should get a testimonial.

It's not about giving them a bonus retirement package. It's about celebrating the player's service to the club, and through that service, celebrating the club itself.

The club's relationships make it what it is. That means the club's relationship with the supporters of course, but also the players, managers, boards and other clubs. Each relationship tells a story of what the club is about. Lucas has been an incredible servant through a period of tremendous uncertainty turmoil for the club, and survived to see the team - his team, in almost as good a way as it was when he joined it.

For me, the testimonial is a good thing to do, because it gets me reflecting about my own relationship with the club, and what it means to be a Liverpool supporter. Surely that's something the club can benefit from?

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 09:23:55 am »
Am I wrong to think its a bit strange that Staunton got one?

Steve Staunton's was organised by the Irish FA for his services to the national team. It was a joint testimonial for him & Tony Cascarino played at Landsdowne Road. As Staunton was back at LFC at the time, we provided the 'opposition'. Staunton actually played for the Irish XI

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:07 am »
I'm pretty sure Nicky Tanner actually got one
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR