Author Topic: Would you let LFC stop you moving abroad?  (Read 18965 times)

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Would you let LFC stop you moving abroad?
« on: October 2, 2007, 09:44:28 pm »
Just wondering if you would stay in England so you didn't miss Liverpool games, as the thought of moving and living to Spain when i was older really appeals, but I feel as though going to Liverpool games is too bigger part of my life to leave behind for the sake of a better climate.

What are your opinions on it? have LFC stopped you from moving abroad? Did you find it hard to move? Was it easy to leave LFC behind? Etc, etc.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Would you let LFC stop you moving abroad?
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »
I've often wondered about going travelling, you know for a few months or so. I reckon I'd have to make it June to August tops!

Seriously, I can't imagine moving abroad anyway because of my friends and family, but after that LFC would be the next stumbling block.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2007, 09:46:43 pm »
Easyjet fly the other way as well you know. Not too difficult to get back once a month or so, plus makes it easier and cheaper to get to European away games.

Offline Lanrmort

• Legacy Fan
  • What were the skies like when you were young?
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2007, 09:47:17 pm »
Live where you want to live. I live in France and, though I'll probably move back to Liverpool one day, I'm not in a hurry.
twitter: @mortoni

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2007, 09:48:22 pm »
No, I wouldn't. Although I've not moved abroad, I've moved far enough away to make it hard to get to games regularly.

I'll be moving to Spain (or possibly south america) myself one day, probably go to barca or valencia and watch the closest team often.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »
Im would love to go abroad travelling but would miss going the game to much....Maybe when they win the title i'll be able to go, the fear of missing that season is unthinkable

Offline StennyB

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2007, 09:50:29 pm »
Absolutely.  It already has.  My job allows me to move to New York or Hong Kong.  I wont go though because goin to the match has been part of my weekends since before I can remember.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2007, 09:59:36 pm »
Not really, would rather have a decent life than watch Liverpool

Offline redluna

• Main Stander
  • There is a God... and his name is Xabi
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2007, 10:05:31 pm »
LFC's one of the reasons I want to move back to England. Moving out to the football-deprived country of Canada was not my choice in the first place
Internet Terrorist Level 3

Offline jamiew1985

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: October 2, 2007, 10:11:22 pm »
Just the opposite mate, I'm looking for jobs and places to live in the Northwest at the minute so I can be closer, ditchin all the family and friends in the process!  The half hour flight from belfast is just too much for me!
(by the way, any suggestions on a nice, yet cheap place to live?)
I ate a big red candle

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2007, 10:12:15 pm »
Yes. No way I could move away from an L postcode and still call myself a supporter.

And kids too. I'd rather slit my own mother's throat than let my kids' needs come between me and the Mighty Reds. Little bastards.

Offline stewartw

• Toot toot to you two too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2007, 10:12:16 pm »
i have had a few chances to move away, canada, oz and new zealand and although it hasnt been the reason for not moving it has always been a major factor, as been said before i cant imagine my weekends with out a pint in the harry!
That girl playing no 11 is quality, who she?  That's my daughter and she doesn't want to play for Macclesfield town girls!!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2007, 10:31:09 pm »
I used to go to every game, home and away. I moved to the States in 1986. People say you miss friends, family, and daft things like brown sauce. Bollacks. I missed the reds, Anfield, going the aways, in fact, just about everything about the football. It was horrible. No telly coverage, no sattelitte, internet, fuck all. Me aul fella used to send me the pink echo and I got it about three weeks late. I'm home now, but things are different an all mate. OK. It's not like going the match, but there's blanket coverage of all things English footy all over the world now. So, if it means a better life, fuck it, go. Or stay and see if the club will pay your wages.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2007, 10:32:03 pm »
LFC's one of the reasons I want to move back to England. Moving out to the football-deprived country of Canada was not my choice in the first place

Considering moving to Canada at the minute, well Nova Scotia actually. Sick of this country at the minute. Taxed up the arse, 95p a litre of unleaded and get hounded by 10 year olds.

If I did move, I'd have to try and set up some little league footy though as a complete cut-off would be nightmarish.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 2, 2007, 10:33:56 pm »
Yes. No way I could move away from an L postcode and still call myself a supporter.

And kids too. I'd rather slit my own mother's throat than let my kids' needs come between me and the Mighty Reds. Little bastards.

Are you ever not sarcastic?
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline AdamBrunt

• Dominated By His TV Missus
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 2, 2007, 10:35:44 pm »
Just the opposite mate, I'm looking for jobs and places to live in the Northwest at the minute so I can be closer, ditchin all the family and friends in the process!  The half hour flight from belfast is just too much for me!

I'm half-heartedly looking at doing the same (though the wife and kids would come with me).

I am still trying to convince the other half that if that doesn't happen then our retirement plan is .... summer in Spain/Portugal and footie season in the Chester area.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 2, 2007, 10:44:27 pm »
LFC wouldn't stop me from doing anything.

People are different, but for me, LFC is not my life. And, at the end of the day, it is just a game - with far more important things in life than footy.

Offline Jon_H

• wooly born and wooly bred
  • Kopite
  • these are shite
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2007, 10:45:16 pm »
if i move to ireland...ill be sorted for tickets with ease
so its not going to stop me
'we are the scousers, the cocks of the north'

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 2, 2007, 10:47:45 pm »
My kids are grown up. I have no responsibility. I own fuck all and have no money. So, I go where the fuck I want when I want. I'm living down south now, but god knows where's next. I do one to America on a pretty regular basis. I spent 4 months working in Australia last year and had a couple of months R&R in Thailand after that. I never missed a minutes footy. Some daft c*nts that have never been past The Rocket will give you gyp, OOTer, norra proper red La, and such bollacks. Just do whatever the fuck you want to.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline HARLOK

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: October 2, 2007, 10:48:20 pm »
I'm living in Switzerland and sometimes take a flight to Liverpool to see a home game.
Would really like to spend a longer time in Liverpool, to make a new experience and have the chance to see a full season, including away games. i really love the Anfield atmosphere, the kop, the pubs...
Footy on tv is really not the same thing...
When the ball's down the Kop end, they frighten the ball.
Sometimes they suck it into the back of the net. Shankly.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2007, 10:49:51 pm »
LFC wouldn't stop me from doing anything.

People are different, but for me, LFC is not my life. And, at the end of the day, it is just a game - with far more important things in life than footy.

:banned

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2007, 10:51:58 pm »
Just do whatever the fuck you want to.

"If it makes you haaaappppyyyyyy, it can't be that baaa.. aaa ....d"

Don't fuck with Sheryl Crow. Or Russel Crow. Or the guy from the crow. Or crows.

Best staying away from Leslie Crowther, too.... just in case.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2007, 10:53:39 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2007, 10:54:07 pm »
No.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 2, 2007, 10:56:39 pm »
Oh stop crowing on will yer

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: October 2, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »
I emigrated to New Zealand a few days after returning from Istanbul on that glorious evening in May. I felt I was able to walk away from LFC, all I had left to witness in the flesh in terms of silverware was to see the big eared one come home. My first trip back this summer allowed me to go to Toulouse away and Chelsae at home which I enjoyed enormously - watching my team in Europe is something I have missed, also visiting Anfield probably for the last time struck a deep, deep chord with me.
Despite the miles, I feel my bond with LFC remains intact and as strong as ever.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 2, 2007, 11:00:51 pm »
Sean, you leave Liverpool, Liverpool never leaves you.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #26 on: October 2, 2007, 11:01:19 pm »

I think I love you :D You make sarcasm so right.

I await the answer of everyones favourite local welshman

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #27 on: October 2, 2007, 11:03:32 pm »
LFC wouldn't stop me moving abroad although I'd only consider moving somewhere with an airport where I could to get to Liverpool quickly and for not too much money. Somewhere like Amsterdam.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #28 on: October 2, 2007, 11:03:52 pm »

Don't fuck with Sheryl Crow. Or Russel Crow. Or the guy from the crow. Or crows.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 2, 2007, 11:05:15 pm »
I think I love you :D You make sarcasm so right.

I await the answer of everyones favourite local welshman

I should think he's probably far too pre occupied to be worried about Low's nonsense right now.

Offline rushandapush

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: October 2, 2007, 11:08:55 pm »
My wife is Australian. It did my head in out there. They know jack shit about football and bang on about egg chasers,cricket and Swimming. Fucking swimming? Thats not a sport, it's something you do when your hot, daft twats.
Naaaa theres nothing like watching the match.

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #31 on: October 2, 2007, 11:14:12 pm »
Moved away back in 95. The time i spend on this website suggests i miss going to the game and having a pint etc, but i do not miss much else. The weather makes up for most things and the cost of living just about handles having to live with annoying yanks (i want to add that not all yanks are annoying).
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 2, 2007, 11:33:48 pm »
Oh stop crowing on will yer
he's raven mad ;)

No, I wouldn't allow LFC to stop me moving away; like many here I don't get to many games anyway so as long as the internet remains I'd be able to cope.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 2, 2007, 11:35:16 pm »

Be kind of hard to get near him to be honest. Unless you are a grave robber.

Offline 14#Alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: October 3, 2007, 12:02:55 am »
The opposite for me, thanks ;D I moved here so I could go to games, meet up with more Reds and generally be right in the middle of it all. Not too many around in Norway really, despite what it might look like on a busy night at 'Bohemen' or 'Andy's'.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2007, 12:07:18 am by 14#Alonso »
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 3, 2007, 12:14:32 am »
I moved from Liverpool to Portugal. I do miss going the game a bit but it's still possible if I plan ahead enough. The TV coverage for Liverpool games is good here and the beer is cheap so... no.. it didn't stop me.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 3, 2007, 12:28:01 am »
it didn't, there's people on here who try to make out they'd sell their grandma if it meant they could go to the match. They're either morally retarded or acting the superfan.

For me it was a very easy decision and although I did find out about TV coverage of the games before moving, LFC weren't high on the priority list to be honest. Things like experiencing a new culture, quality of life and career progression were the main reasons.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #37 on: October 3, 2007, 12:54:28 am »
Wools ;)

Just kidding. As someone who emigrated away to Canada as a kid, I think the distance really played into effect during Istanbul. Sure, you get to watch basically every Liverpool game on the tv, but during special moments like the CL or FA Cup final, you don't have that opportunity to celebrate with other Reds.  :'(

Offline fluffy

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: October 3, 2007, 01:01:49 am »
don't want to sound like i'm lecturing but if moving abroad appeals to you then broadening your horizons, educating yourself to new lands and cultures is far more beneficial to you than giving it up to watch LFC.
Three years ago i split with the missus; i became distant from my son. Going to games over the last two seasons with him has brought us close together again. But now I'm emigrating early next year to marry a girl in LA.
so, i don't just lose out on the games; that link for me and the lad is severed too.
But you know, there are a hundred alternatives for us and i will move on.
we are passionate, us Liverpool fans but it can be dangerous if it consumes us to the point of being blinkered.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 3, 2007, 01:52:10 am »
I've been in the States now for 12 years. Watching Liverpol didn't figure in that choice....it was a much bigger decision than watching footie. But Fuck...it was crap in the early years. Dangling arial wires out of windows trying to improve Short Wave reception of BBC World Service for a few minutes commentary, reading 2-week old Echos, waiting for tapes of MOTD -  that was frustrating. Now, thanks to satellite, I get more live TV games than SKY give my family in Liverpool, and as ever, my job gets me home 8+ times a year (to London) and I make about 4 home games a season. I don't look for London aways any more as I always ended up in the wrong end and it was equally miserable and dangerous.

Being away, LFC has kept me in touch with my family, my Dad especially, but others too. It's the prematch call, the half time "WTF?" and the post match chatter that has in a great amount, kept us close. If nothing else, its a reason to call, and that helps.

Anyway, if its the right thing for you, go. Just go. Fat Scouser is right. And using Liverpool FC as a reason not to better your chances, not to have a 'better life style' is perhaps concealing something else that is the real reason you won't go. Instead: travel, and spread the word. Extend the Red Tide. Do Scousers Proud.