Author Topic: Holiday 2017  (Read 43411 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Holiday 2017
« Reply #40 on: November 2, 2016, 05:59:03 pm »
Thomson are great for Mexico and the Caribbean. Booking things separately on the slightly higher end tends to be more expensive.

For Europe use trip advisor for your hotel and look out for Easyjet sales for the flights!

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 2, 2016, 10:24:14 pm »
I'm 40 next October and want to do something different than the usual Vegas or Eastern Europe bar crawls.

Thinking of a safari or Gorilla trekking in Uganda.

Not sure where's best for the safari.

South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana or Namibia.

Anybody been and have any advice or tips?

Thanks

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 3, 2016, 11:15:06 am »
Looking at Japan in December 2017 around 14 days. Anybody got some decent resources to start researching? Is December a good time?

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: November 3, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
Going in January, for as long as I possibly can, hopefully at least a year. I can earn wherever theres an internet connection so I'm lucky! South America is my dream and reading one of Rhi's old posts has made me want to book the first flight but I'm also tempted to start in India, do  Sri Lanka then go back to Thailand do that that route round Cambo, Laos etc. Also thought about a huge one of Canada down to Argentina, I dunno. I should just do the simple thing and go for what I want the most but I also kinda wanna leave it till last too!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44 on: November 3, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
EasyJet summer sale started today. Tempted to get something booked, although I'm not entirely convinced some of these flights are actually that much cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2016, 01:10:54 pm by bcurtis92 »

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 4, 2016, 04:37:10 pm »
Thanks Rhi,

I'll really start to research it in January.

Too much going on at the moment to make an informed choice.

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #46 on: November 7, 2016, 11:40:33 am »
I booked flights to Vienna for the 27th of Feb, (day after League Cup Final, just in case), and back on the Friday the 3rd, as it was £50 return. Bargain.

Then realised that everything else will be very expensive, mainly hotel. So hostel it is.

Anything that I should definitely get round to doing in Vienna? There's a bus to Bratislava for around a euro, so will probably pop there one day.

Travelling on my own at the moment.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 03:04:04 am »
I'm away to India in a couple of days. Ill be arriving in Goa and staying at Arambol until the new year. Then Ill go down to Gokarna in Karnataka for a week or 2. Some time mid January, Ill make my way to Delhi, making short stops at many places along the way, before catching my outward flight to Chang Mai in Thailand. Plan on spending 4 days or so in Chang Mai, Pai and Bangkok. Finally, on the 11th of February, Ill be heading to Siem Reap in Cambodia for 10 days before flying home to the artic like, hills of Donegal.

This should be good. First time ive done anything like this - what an experience it should be.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2016, 05:46:22 am »
I'm away to India in a couple of days. Ill be arriving in Goa and staying at Arambol until the new year. Then Ill go down to Gokarna in Karnataka for a week or 2. Some time mid January, Ill make my way to Delhi, making short stops at many places along the way, before catching my outward flight to Chang Mai in Thailand. Plan on spending 4 days or so in Chang Mai, Pai and Bangkok. Finally, on the 11th of February, Ill be heading to Siem Reap in Cambodia for 10 days before flying home to the artic like, hills of Donegal.

This should be good. First time ive done anything like this - what an experience it should be.

A month in Goa! Envy!

If you are interested, you could split your month and a half (assuming it is 1 month in Goa and 2 weeks in Gokarna as of now) between Goa, Gokarna and Kerala on the west coast. Looks like you're there for the coast and beaches so you shouldn't miss out on Kerala. PM me if you need more info.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2016, 08:38:59 am »
I'm 40 next October and want to do something different than the usual Vegas or Eastern Europe bar crawls.

Thinking of a safari or Gorilla trekking in Uganda.

Not sure where's best for the safari.

South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana or Namibia.

Anybody been and have any advice or tips?

Thanks

Just been to South Africa and absolutely loved it. We went to Hluhluwe-iMfolozi (pronounced Shlooshlooey) Game Reserve which isn't as big as Kruger (the most famous in South Africa) but still huge and it is more natural than the private reserves as it is owned by the state so don't have profit-driven motives. Unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to spot leopards or cheetahs in there but we met people who did. There are Rhinos everywhere - you wouldn't believe they are endangered!

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
A month in Goa! Envy!

If you are interested, you could split your month and a half (assuming it is 1 month in Goa and 2 weeks in Gokarna as of now) between Goa, Gokarna and Kerala on the west coast. Looks like you're there for the coast and beaches so you shouldn't miss out on Kerala. PM me if you need more info.

Been to Goa 3 times as a young lad with the family. Loved everything about it. We stayed in Candolim the 3 previous times I was there, but now I'm going out on my own (well, with a mate) and I'm taking more of a backpacker approach.

I'm actually not overly arsed with beaches, but Ive always wanted to go back to Goa, haven't been since I was about 13, so 10 years ago. My thinking is, hit the beaches down south for a month, hit the desert in Rajasthan for a week or 2 then try fit in either Varanasi or Rishikesh/Haridwar for a week. Off to the jungle and mountains of Thailand then for a week, Bangkok then for a few nights of debauchery before going to Siem Reap in Cambodia to see all the temples there and meet up with my parents who will be there at the same time.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »
Off to the Far East again, 4 years on the bounce now

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:10 pm »
Officially under 6 months till Crete and 7 weeks to the day for the Lakes 8)

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2016, 03:44:58 pm »
Been to Goa 3 times as a young lad with the family. Loved everything about it. We stayed in Candolim the 3 previous times I was there, but now I'm going out on my own (well, with a mate) and I'm taking more of a backpacker approach.

I'm actually not overly arsed with beaches, but Ive always wanted to go back to Goa, haven't been since I was about 13, so 10 years ago. My thinking is, hit the beaches down south for a month, hit the desert in Rajasthan for a week or 2 then try fit in either Varanasi or Rishikesh/Haridwar for a week. Off to the jungle and mountains of Thailand then for a week, Bangkok then for a few nights of debauchery before going to Siem Reap in Cambodia to see all the temples there and meet up with my parents who will be there at the same time.

As someone who lives in Thailand, a country rife with backpackers, can I respectfully ask you to lead by example and bring loads of deodorant, and if possible pass them out to the other backpackers you run afoul of encounter? Cheers  :wave :P
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 08:43:57 am »
While this is still 2016, hope you don't mind me using this thread... Any advice for destinations in Europe (no passport required) where it's warm during December? Was thinking about the Canaries, but don't know anyone who's been there...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 09:56:57 am »
Just been to South Africa and absolutely loved it. We went to Hluhluwe-iMfolozi (pronounced Shlooshlooey) Game Reserve which isn't as big as Kruger (the most famous in South Africa) but still huge and it is more natural than the private reserves as it is owned by the state so don't have profit-driven motives. Unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to spot leopards or cheetahs in there but we met people who did. There are Rhinos everywhere - you wouldn't believe they are endangered!

I did a trip with Intrepid a few years back travelling for Nairobi to Zanzibar. Managed to fit in Serengeti, Masai Mara, Usambara Mountains, Ngorongoro Crater and Old Town in Zanzibar. Great way to travel as it's all hands on deck. Bit like organised backpacking. I jumped over to do Ethiopia with a colleague afterwards as we're in the coffee industry. Some of the other guys on the Intrepid Tour did the gorillas in Uganda beforehand and from the stories and photos I really wish I could have wedged that in.

I'd go back tomorrow and do it all again. Ngorongoro Crater is the only time I've ever been truely speechless seeing nature laid out before me. Amazing.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 11:01:13 am »
Talking to the missus about doing Cuba then onto New York - has anybody been to Cuba and if so are there any places you'd recommend?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 03:02:53 am »

If you have a month in the south, definitely pop down to Kerala for a week.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 03:20:09 am »
Looking to go to tenerife in january or febuary for about 4 nights

How much would it cost? is it quite cheap that time of year?

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 09:59:56 am »
Don't think this next year is going to live up the past 12 months. In that I've been Hong Kong,  Vietnam,  Singapore,  the French alps skiing, Prague,  canoeing in the wild in Sweden,  sevilla and cordoba.

Going skiing again in Austria and got a stag do to ibiza to go to but apart from that I reckon it'll be slim pickings.  Need to actually get some money behind me until I get itchy feet and book another few holidays.

Also anyone going sevilla make sure you go a restaurant called eslava. Has tapas dishes that have won awards. Amazing food

My missus is just starting a new training course at uni so will only have select holidays for the next 2 years so gunnar have to wait to see what's holidays she get then going to try and sneak a holiday in. Reckon Croatia will be the next one.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:08:49 am by macca007 »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:21 am »
Just about to book a short trip to Sumatra for a 'coffee educational'. Off to see the coffee harvesting season and meet some farmers. Then it's either a trip to Bellingham, WA to finally go to my mates parents home and pick up an RV and drive up to Anchorage in Alaska which is where they are originally from.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:01 am »
Got a week off the end of march, fancy a cheap  mini break somewhere hot (4 days or so) Any recommendations?

Decent beaches and a decent nightlife are a must!

Thinking Tenerife or Lanzarote but i've never been to either places

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:47 pm »
Summer holiday plan comin along nicely!  Lviv,  Kiev (Ukraine),  Minsk (Belarus) and Kaliningrad (Russia),  Anyone been?  Tips?  Places to stay,  sites to visit?  All info appreciated :)
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2016, 02:05:43 pm »
Summer holiday plan comin along nicely!  Lviv,  Kiev (Ukraine),  Minsk (Belarus) and Kaliningrad (Russia),  Anyone been?  Tips?  Places to stay,  sites to visit?  All info appreciated :)

Milan is nice  :wave
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2016, 02:10:58 pm »
Got a week off the end of march, fancy a cheap  mini break somewhere hot (4 days or so) Any recommendations?

Decent beaches and a decent nightlife are a must!

Thinking Tenerife or Lanzarote but i've never been to either places

Both places are hot, we always go to Tenerife in January and its in the low to mid 20's. Both islands are volcanic islands so the beaches aren't golden sands, its crushed up volcanic rock, so they are black. I'm just turned 50 with two young kids, so no idea of what the nightlife is like. I believe Fuerteventura has the better beaches as the sand gets blown over from the Sahara.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
Milan is nice  :wave

I prefer Turin,  got back 3 days ago  :wanker
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
Where's a good place to search for last minute deals, pretty much open to any destination.

Back in the day there used to be a mass of charter flights to chose from but Thomson and Thomas Cook have bought them all up and raised their prices due to lack of competition. Remember i bought a MyTravel flight with the airline for £200 to Orlando - bargain !

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2016, 03:40:23 pm »
Looking at going to Rome for my Birthday (22nd April) for 3/4 days. Anyone got any advice? I've read that some places are closed on a Monday?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »
January - Weekend in Barcelona
February - Longer weekend in Madrid
April - Weekend in Barcelona
July - Longer weekend in Duesseldorf
September - Week in Barcelona for the La Merce Festival
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2016, 08:11:15 am »
January - Weekend in Barcelona
February - Longer weekend in Madrid
April - Weekend in Barcelona
July - Longer weekend in Duesseldorf
September - Week in Barcelona for the La Merce Festival

Barcelona just a holiday, or is it a family orientated trip? I like the city, but not that much !

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:08 am »
Both places are hot, we always go to Tenerife in January and its in the low to mid 20's. Both islands are volcanic islands so the beaches aren't golden sands, its crushed up volcanic rock, so they are black. I'm just turned 50 with two young kids, so no idea of what the nightlife is like. I believe Fuerteventura has the better beaches as the sand gets blown over from the Sahara.
looking at somewhere in march now, so maybe benidorm? i've been there in march before and it was decent

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »
looking at somewhere in march now, so maybe benidorm? i've been there in march before and it was decent

I've done Barcelona in March and it was lovely, also done Benalmadena in May twice and once the weather was clouds all week, other time was great. My sister in law got a villa with private pool near Malaga for something stupid like 250 quid earlier this year. Sadly the weather was crap. Spain can be iffy at times
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »
Barcelona just a holiday, or is it a family orientated trip? I like the city, but not that much !

Go normally 2-3 times a yer, not family but got some good friend there now.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2016, 04:59:37 pm »

Arambol is amazing.

I spent nearly three months on that beach in 2002/3.

Don't swim on the right of the main beach by the rocks . A few people drowned there.

Go to the second beach heading North theres a lake with lots of mud where you can take a mud bath. Very cleansing. Theres also a Banyan Tree in the jungle there. Its a sacred tree.

Further North theres a beach that goes on for a mile or two. Me and some Israeli lass built a little shelter made out of palm leaves and lived there for a week or two. Chillums and charis were involved.

Watch out for the feni coconut alchoholic drink. Its fuckin lethal !

Enjoy !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2016, 07:29:24 pm »
Prague on the 3rd January

Possibly Mexico (Riviera Maya) in June

Probably another city break later on in the year - Barcelona or Rome are next I think

Good year ahead  :)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 3, 2017, 01:59:01 pm »
Any suggestions for car hire in Italy?

Looking to hire a car in Naples and drive down to Sicily, dropping it off in Catania.

Ideally I'd like a convertible - has anyone every rented a car in Italy before?

Cheers.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 4, 2017, 10:26:42 am »
If work goes as well as last year then hopefully will knock a few things off my Travel list

Atlanta & Florida late Jan - Booked
England in Oct for a wedding which I cant miss but will spend a couple of extra days sightseeing as well.
Malta or any Med island in July for a week
Back to the States around Thanksgiving maybe and might persuade a couple of yanks to go to Cuba with me.

If I do all that then will be delighted with my holiday plans.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #77 on: January 4, 2017, 10:30:32 am »
Venice in March
Likely Malta in October

Looking for a cheapish, somewhere-in-Southern-England holiday for a short stay in the summer.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 4, 2017, 10:59:59 am »

Looking to hire a car in Naples and drive down to Sicily, dropping it off in Catania.

Cheers.
I've used a few mate including Hertz, Avis and these https://www.maggiore.it/en/  all seem to be pretty much the same.

Not being a hairdresser I've no clue which one does convertibles though.  ;)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 4, 2017, 11:10:18 am »

Cheers.

I booked one way car hire with Hertz in Italy* last summer - the website is easy to navigate - If they have an office in Sicily? And it was a reasonably price - but that was for a very small fiat  ;D

*pick up Perugia and drop off Rome Airport