Author Topic: Entrepreneurs on rawk  (Read 43566 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Entrepreneurs on rawk
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »
My work before it moved office only provided parking spaces for senior management meaning most people had to park 10 or more minutes walk away. You still had to show up at work on time.

Guy should be thankful you're providing a space at all, especially if you're in the middle of a city with expensive parking.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Entrepreneurs on rawk
« Reply #321 on: September 24, 2016, 06:38:17 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Was more to do with the fact that I didn't want to be seen to be favouring one contractor over another. At £26/HR their morning and afternoon early darts will add up to a hefty sum over a year.

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #322 on: November 12, 2016, 08:03:11 pm »
Hi guys - It's a while since I've posted on here....
Do any of you have any recommendations for websites/web forums that I may be able to find coders?
Cheers
Andy

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2016, 01:03:50 am »
Have a look at Fiverr. Never used it myself though!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2016, 12:48:38 pm »
Clueless employees, working for clueless companies, who happen to be the only UK (actually European) manufacturer/supplier of a product I need to launch mine  :no :no :no

It's a box manufacturer (a certain kind of box) and I need 13 different sizes. I've been in contact with them since the 15th Sept, and in the last 2 months they have managed to supply 4 samples (right size, wrong material - twice) and quote for just 3 of the sizes. I mean for fuck's sake it's not hard, and the first order won't be a small one (about 15-20,000 boxes).

If I'd had known they were going to be like this then in the same time frame I could have received samples from a Chinese supplier, OK'd them, had them manufactured and spent 4 weeks on a boat being shipped over.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #325 on: December 7, 2016, 12:45:08 pm »
Above company has still only managed to get a handful of the 13 quotes over to me. One excuse to another (from my contact going on holiday, to the MD being on holiday in New York and having to sign off on all quotes, to the Sales Director being too busy to sign off on the quotes).

In the meantime I've managed to find a company in China, received quotes for 3 different style boxes, in 3 different materials each, for all 13 sizes. On top of that they've produced samples (correctly) and got them sent over to me. All this within a 2 week window (5 days of which was shipping) and having to put up with time difference when contacting each other. Price is about 25% of that of the UK company (inc shipping) and they have shown themselves to be a hell of a lot more reliable.

So an order is being placed with them and should hopefully be in a container and on it's way before Christmas, giving me an end January launch.

Really REALLY fucking annoyed with the UK company as have set me back a good couple of months. Twats  :no

On the patent front, just heard today that all the patents I've applied for have gone through the examination by the UKIPO without any problems and will be published on the 4th Jan. This allows for any final claims against them being granted to be made, but is a good indication they will be granted  ;D ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: December 8, 2016, 08:52:00 am »
You need a patent for air now? ;D

PS are you going to tell us all on the 5th Jan wtf it is?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #327 on: December 8, 2016, 09:07:10 am »
You need a patent for air now? ;D

This is special air though.

PS are you going to tell us all on the 5th Jan wtf it is?

I haven't decided yet  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: December 8, 2016, 09:07:53 am »
:(

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: December 8, 2016, 11:07:45 pm »
Above company has still only managed to get a handful of the 13 quotes over to me. One excuse to another (from my contact going on holiday, to the MD being on holiday in New York and having to sign off on all quotes, to the Sales Director being too busy to sign off on the quotes).

In the meantime I've managed to find a company in China, received quotes for 3 different style boxes, in 3 different materials each, for all 13 sizes. On top of that they've produced samples (correctly) and got them sent over to me. All this within a 2 week window (5 days of which was shipping) and having to put up with time difference when contacting each other. Price is about 25% of that of the UK company (inc shipping) and they have shown themselves to be a hell of a lot more reliable.

So an order is being placed with them and should hopefully be in a container and on it's way before Christmas, giving me an end January launch.

Really REALLY fucking annoyed with the UK company as have set me back a good couple of months. Twats  :no

On the patent front, just heard today that all the patents I've applied for have gone through the examination by the UKIPO without any problems and will be published on the 4th Jan. This allows for any final claims against them being granted to be made, but is a good indication they will be granted  ;D ;D

When are we going to find out what your selling , come in here now and then to see if it's been revealed ...feel free to pm me craig to put me out of my misery

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:26 pm »
still curious......

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:35 pm »
 ;D

Finally launching in next 10 days after sorting the major fiasco of the boxes. I still can't get over the shocking service provided by some UK companies, and its no surprise people look to import.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2017, 09:59:42 pm »
Was wondering about this just today. Bring it on!

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #333 on: February 12, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
Not sure if Iam an entrepeneur as such but my new company has finally got it's flip flops on.

Only advertised the yoga retreat on Wednesday and three people have booked which pays for the costs to hire the space. One more booked today which is profit to the tune of 750.00 quid . Other people have booked their flights and paid deposits but to me that's not real until they have actually paid up and booked onto the retreat.

The space in France hosts 30 people and me and my partner have retreats planned in India , Thailand and possibly the Canaries for this year.

The beauty is we don't need to invest a penny and I get to travel.

This is fuckin real !
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:25:06 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #334 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:27 am »
;D

Finally launching in next 10 days after sorting the major fiasco of the boxes. I still can't get over the shocking service provided by some UK companies, and its no surprise people look to import.

Time to reveal all ????

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2017, 10:55:48 am »
haha, things going well so far. Looks like problem is going to be keeping a handle on expanding too quickly, as my warehouse is not going to be large enough to handle a sudden surge (I'm at the brink now) and going to need to start bringing on manufacturing staff.

May send info to a few on here shortly once things progress a little further rather than post directly on here what it is  ;D

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #336 on: April 6, 2017, 10:04:56 pm »
haha, things going well so far. Looks like problem is going to be keeping a handle on expanding too quickly, as my warehouse is not going to be large enough to handle a sudden surge (I'm at the brink now) and going to need to start bringing on manufacturing staff.

May send info to a few on here shortly once things progress a little further rather than post directly on here what it is  ;D

come on craig this has been giving me sleepless nights  :butt

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
« Reply #337 on: April 9, 2017, 08:40:32 pm »
Finally about to start working with a friend who does distribution for Chinese companies selling goods to the UK tomorrow. I was previously working in IT for a manufacturing company, working there since I left college (I'm now approaching mid twenties).

Really looking forward to it as the distribution side is already established and will provide an income which to try and import goods to then sell ourselves (I'll be working alongside my friend doing this).

I'm wondering if anyone on here has done importing into the UK to sell goods online before? I'm excited but apprehensive too, as I am taking a cut on wages to do this work and so need to get something up and running on the import side to boost my income! Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2017, 10:45:46 pm »

Was it you on Dragons Den with the air filled packaging? Didn't look like I would expect you to look but what do  I know . Still wondering what it was you came up with all this time ago.

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2017, 10:57:52 pm »
Any of you lads work in / have a fintech business?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to find a company based on its VAT number? Im looking for info on a company but can't find it on the companies house lookup.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:36 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to find a company based on its VAT number? Im looking for info on a company but can't find it on the companies house lookup.

You can check it’s a legit VAT number.  http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Don’t you have the company name?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #342 on: October 23, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
Anyone looking for a life coach or personal development coach?

I have heaps and heaps of experience with this but I looking to move away from dealing with blue chip multinational corporations and more into private, one-on-one sessions with individuals who feel blocked or frustrated or just want to develop themselves more - whatever the context!

You'd be surprised at how effective these sessions can be on Skype - so location is not an issue.

Message me if you are curious and want to know more.....

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: October 23, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »
You can check it’s a legit VAT number.  http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Don’t you have the company name?
I know the company name. Well, its a franchise of a main company - but searching for the name on Companies house yields no results. Ive checked the VAT number and its legit. Thinking maybe the registered name is completely different to the company name?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »
I know the company name. Well, its a franchise of a main company - but searching for the name on Companies house yields no results. Ive checked the VAT number and its legit. Thinking maybe the registered name is completely different to the company name?

It will only be on CH if it’s a registered company.  Sometimes the trading name is different from the registered name.  Can’t you ask them?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #345 on: March 7, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
Anyone here have any experience of using recruitment agencies for finding labour?  I'm after trades 'plumbers/carpet fitters/joiners' etc and sick of ending up with dickheads from the like of ratedpeople/bark.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2018, 07:12:34 pm »
Anyone here have any experience of using recruitment agencies for finding labour?  I'm after trades 'plumbers/carpet fitters/joiners' etc and sick of ending up with dickheads from the like of ratedpeople/bark.

Is there for construction work / sub contacting etc or a private project .

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #347 on: March 11, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »

If UK is anything like US, working with your hands is a less attractive career and anyone who is any good is usually fully employed. The kind of person you probably want does not need to use recruitment agencies.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2018, 02:45:01 pm »
Do any of you guys track your employees on GPS? Ever had any issues?

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: April 2, 2019, 07:30:47 pm »
Christ the difference in price between getting fabric and having garments manufactured in China compared to here is phenomenal. 

I don't want to get into any heated debates about human rights in overseas factories and stuff as that's for another thread but you can see why British manufacturing is suffering

I tried to go to Turkey to get my fabric and designs manufactured but even they are quoting huge money compared to China.  I think we all want to see stuff made in Britain but we simply couldn't make any money as it really is that more expensive compared to Asia.

The guy I am dealing with in China is a fucking diamond and he speaks really good English (well types it good anyway).  He's got contacts all over and It will be interesting to see the quality of fabric when my samples arrive later this week. He's really clued up on fabric colour dyes and knows whats legal over here and what isn't.  Obviously the potential naffness in quality is the biggest risk but i'm prepared for a few disappointments along the way.

On the downside, Is a right ball-ache waiting for stuff to arrive when dealing with China but hopefully it will be worth it as I am told once you have a good trustworthy and reliable contact over there you are laughing.

Should have done this years ago. Loving it.  Finding the marketing side of things tough like but its a learning curve I suppose

Anyone else had much dealing with manufacturing in Asia?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #350 on: April 2, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
I have done quite a few imports (full 40ft containers) now, as well as a number of smaller machinery imports, and it’s been pretty easy going.

However, I have been screwed on my last import. I order a type of material (which I then use for manufacturing a product over here) in two specs. They come in big 100m length rolls that are 1400mm tall.

Ive used the same manufacturer from the start and the product has always arrived to spec. In this last lot though, my largest order to date, all the 240 odd rolls I ordered were incorrect. 205 were the wrong spec (thinner than they should be), of which 65 of them were unusable. The other 35 were just totally wrong compared to what I ordered.

Contacted the company and they just are not arsed one little bit. Offered me a shockingly low discount on another order (won’t even cover 10% of what I lost on this order) and then basically said that’s your lot of fuck off. They know I’ve absolutely no comeback.

There are no manufacturers of this material in mainland Europe so that’s not an option. The machine that produces it, which is my ultimate aim, is £80k so not an option just yet, so I’m having to work with a few other Chinese suppliers and hope they come good.

There are companies who will go and check the order is correct over in China before you pay any balance on the order and it’s shipped, so that’s probably the way I’ll go until I begin manufacturing it myself.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: April 2, 2019, 08:09:23 pm »
I have done quite a few imports (full 40ft containers) now, as well as a number of smaller machinery imports, and it’s been pretty easy going.

However, I have been screwed on my last import. I order a type of material (which I then use for manufacturing a product over here) in two specs. They come in big 100m length rolls that are 1400mm tall.

Ive used the same manufacturer from the start and the product has always arrived to spec. In this last lot though, my largest order to date, all the 240 odd rolls I ordered were incorrect. 205 were the wrong spec (thinner than they should be), of which 65 of them were unusable. The other 35 were just totally wrong compared to what I ordered.

Contacted the company and they just are not arsed one little bit. Offered me a shockingly low discount on another order (won’t even cover 10% of what I lost on this order) and then basically said that’s your lot of fuck off. They know I’ve absolutely no comeback.

There are no manufacturers of this material in mainland Europe so that’s not an option. The machine that produces it, which is my ultimate aim, is £80k so not an option just yet, so I’m having to work with a few other Chinese suppliers and hope they come good.

There are companies who will go and check the order is correct over in China before you pay any balance on the order and it’s shipped, so that’s probably the way I’ll go until I begin manufacturing it myself.

Don't they have trade assurance Craig?

How do you pay for your product?

Yes, it is definitely a minefield dealing with China but its a risk worth taking when you look at the benefits when you do get a good supplier

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #352 on: April 2, 2019, 08:15:54 pm »
Yeah, it’s partly my own fault for not using trade assurance but this was a company I’d used quite a few times previously with absolutely no problems. 25% deposit on placing the order, 75% before shipping. These are supplied FOB and then I have my own shipping firm based in Liverpool who deal with getting the container shipped and handling customs and then the final delivery to my warehouse.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: April 2, 2019, 09:59:34 pm »
Which shipping firm you using Craig? I’ve neen quoted $1.5 per metre of fabric by my Chinese contact.

I’ve not considered FOB to be honest but may as well look into it.

Air freight was considerably more ($3.5) but obviously much quicker.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #354 on: April 2, 2019, 10:20:00 pm »
How much you ordering? If it’s not a full container (or even part container) then may be best just using their shipper.

Difference for me is my material is between 4 and 8mm thick, so a 100m roll is really thick - with 240 per 40ft container - so I’ve always ordered full containers.

I use FWD Freight based on Old Hall St in Liverpool though incase you do want to contact them. I’d highly recommmend them.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: April 2, 2019, 10:32:01 pm »
To be honest mate that $1.5 metre quote was when I was gonna get the fabric shipped over here in bolts.

I am now getting my fabric sent to another factory for CMT (Cut Make Trim)

Will probably have them labeled bagged and tagged too.  Only ordering a few 100 units to begin with so will let them arrange shipping too.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #356 on: April 2, 2019, 10:52:14 pm »
Yeah that’s almost certainly going to be the best bet at that number mate. I’ve had various things of that size sent over (machinery, but box would be same as a few hundred tops) and just let them sort shipping.

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:56 am »
I'd love to set up my own business. Have an idea and need some help, anyone open to a chat/coffee that may be able to help me?

Many thanks

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
I'd love to set up my own business. Have an idea and need some help, anyone open to a chat/coffee that may be able to help me?

Many thanks
What kind of business, at least, in which sector?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:27 am »

Many thanks

I could do Sept 2020?