Author Topic: The two major problems with Stevie G  (Read 12573 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The two major problems with Stevie G
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:32:23 pm »
... are that he's a young scouser and from South Liverpool. This results in him being a depressive sod 99% of the time and giving downbeat interviews that could have been directed by Mike Leigh. Quite simply genetics and geography have turned him into a miserabilist.

Firstly the age thing - scousers for generations have been known as friendly, warm, garrulous  people with a great sense of humour. They've been the pinnacle of the Lancashire spirit which saw music halls earlier in the century, then TV later, dominated by comedians from the north west and Liverpool in particular. In contrast there's never been a comedian from Yorkshire - a cold county full of cold humourless people.

However the Nova-Scouser (TM pending) is dour, cynical and taciturn with a permanent scowl on their face*. Gerrard is merely a product of this generation. Its King. No longer is it considered the done thing to crack a joke, smile or be positive among the New Scouse Generation.

Stevie's other problem is he's from South Liverpool and this exacerbates the situation. Eh, hang on he's from Huyton I hear you say, wasn't he born in Whiston hospital. Surely that's central/east Liverpool? Yes, very true, but Huyton has always been the refugee camp for those escaping South Liverpool in the same way that Kirkby is populated by those fleeing North Liverpool. Different tribes. And as we all know North Liverpolitans have always been far funnier (and harder by the way) than South Liverpolitans. Kirkbyites are jocular, hopeful people as a result. Huytonites the opposite.

If you plot cheerfulness on a graph with age on the x axis and south Liverpool at 0 and North Liverpool at 10 on the y axis you'll find Stevie G is fighting overwhelming odds in an attempt to smile. In contrast the theory suggests that Jamie Carragher, Bootle boy born and bred, should come out beaming. And practice shows he does - he's well known as the squad's joker and you'll never find him suggesting we can't win a trophy. His pint is always three quarters full. And look at Carra's Dad who not only has North Liverpool but age in his favour. Last week he fought to get back into an England friendly. That's a work of comedic genius.

So next time you see a Stevie G interview and start to despair, just remember everything has conspired against him. And that the only solution is for the club doctor to prescribe him prozac.

*it's been postulated that this may be a result of the importation of infant milk formulae from the Nestle factory in York from the late 60s onwards - a BSE-style scandal for the non-breast feeding generation.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
Re: The two major problems with Stevie G
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 02:35:42 pm »
Bittty

Offline stewartw

• Toot toot to you two too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:36:22 pm »
 :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

pure class
That girl playing no 11 is quality, who she?  That's my daughter and she doesn't want to play for Macclesfield town girls!!

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:43:17 pm »
boss that Rushian lad, boss.

(coming from a bootle boy I agree 100%)
funnier and harder from the south liverpool jester hat wearing crew.

Offline Vicente

• Touchy
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 02:44:57 pm »
So true it's scary. Though, I don't know many people who have escaped Aigburth for Woolfall Heath

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:45:25 pm »

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Rafa's Red's

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:47:34 pm »
Rushian lad that was funny.

But i think Gerrard does smile, hasn't he had his nashers sorted. Whitened or capped. I heard something about him going into Chester somewhere or another getting whitening treatment.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 02:49:27 pm by pja »

Offline Vicente

• Touchy
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 02:48:45 pm »
He only smiles when forced. He's not exactly a larger than life character is he?

Offline Rafa's Red's

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 02:50:21 pm »
LISTEN GERRARD SMILES I'VE GOT PROOF

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 02:53:11 pm »
What a shite post.

The problem with him and other dower footballers like him is that they earn thosands of pounds every week and aren't allowed to enjoy themselves.

this has nothing to do with A) his generation or B) were he comes from in Liverpool.

Interestingly you quote Bootle and Kirby as shining examples of what scousers should be ??? Thieving smackheads.

Nah no thanks I'll just stick to being a miserable c*nt from the south end, who's obvious ambition is to move from Allerton to the blue bell estate.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 03:02:14 pm »
The one major problem with Rushian is........
he's  Welsh.

Now them boyo's only have to open their mouths and I'm falling over laughing....so there's my Southend misery problem solved.

Erm...I'm still not hard though.....

If that's true, he really should be a blue and that would explain his love of Boot Hill ;D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 03:06:23 pm »
:lmao

brilliant post :D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 03:08:57 pm »
But evryfule knows that "Huyton does all the rucking away".

Offline Obstructed-View

• Anny Roader
  • Bring back the Rialto
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 03:15:26 pm »
Stevie "lived" in Huyton  (NORTH END) and was conceived in a caravan in Talacre.

You try smiling knowing that.

Protected by no European flag tho' Champion of all.

Offline Vicente

• Touchy
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 03:19:36 pm »
There's load of hard lads from Huyton and South Liverpool. I remember getting chased by 50 Leeds fans through their city centre with a group of lads from Huyton. One of them turns around and say "ah, fuck this, i'm knackered" and starts laying into one of the Leeds. He got a few decent digs in before legging it again. Happy days!

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 04:01:12 pm »
Couldn't be that hard if he was running from Leeds fans in the first place.   :P

Good original post though. 

Offline Lanrmort

• Legacy Fan
  • What were the skies like when you were young?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 04:12:24 pm »
This is the most tenuous thing I've ever read - possibly in my entire life.

As you basically admit yourself, Steven Gerrard's not even from South Liverpool.

It's like coming up with a solution before you've thought of the problem and proceeding to bang a series of square pegs into round wholes.

It wouldn't be out of place in a Rudyard Kipling story.

"How did the Liverpool captain get so miserable" by Rushian Kipling.

Keep up the good work.

p.s. You're right on one thing. As a resident South Liverpudlian, I can confess we're all pretty much soft as sh!te with myself leading the line as the softest and the sh!test.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 04:16:41 pm by lanrmort »
twitter: @mortoni

Offline dom_d

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Come on you Mighty Reds
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 04:26:02 pm »
Boss !!!!!

;D
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 04:54:10 pm »
What a shite post.

The problem with him and other dower footballers like him is that they earn thosands of pounds every week and aren't allowed to enjoy themselves.

this has nothing to do with A) his generation or B) were he comes from in Liverpool.

Interestingly you quote Bootle and Kirby as shining examples of what scousers should be ??? Thieving smackheads.

Nah no thanks I'll just stick to being a miserable c*nt from the south end, who's obvious ambition is to move from Allerton to the blue bell estate.

Totally agree.  Gerrard isn't even from Liverpool and how someone can say that Huyton has anything to do with South LIverpool doesn't knowwhat he's talking about.  The post is utter garbage.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 05:00:10 pm »
Stevie "lived" in Huyton  (NORTH END) and was conceived in a caravan in Talacre.

Now we are getting to the truth. The problem is that traditionally most of the begetting in Liverpool doesn't actually happen there at all, it happens in caravans or chalets in Wales in late August. This particularly applies to the Huyton side of town.

This leads to a disproportionate amount of late-May-born-Geminis, like Stevie G, on Merseyside.

When they are feeling good, they are great to have around and light up the whole place brighter than anyone else, but when they're feeling sorry for themselves they can swing into the dumps of misery and bring everyone else down with their moaning and pessimism .

They can be  vain, rash, irrascible  when challenged, but so full of life and dynamic that you will often catch them charging forward to meet their own 40-yard pass.  When born in the Year of the Monkey, like our Stevie was, problems are compounded  threefold.  At least.

Sometimes they desperately want to leave. and then a few hours later they will be equally passionate about staying.

How could the Welsh ever hope to understand this ? They never go on caravan hols in Wales themselves.

if anyone is in any doubt it's a pisstake .....

oh, really ? Sorry about the "Welsh" comments, then.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:11:33 pm by nige »

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 05:06:01 pm »
But what I don't understand is why is Southport called SOUTHport? South of what, FFS? And where's the frigging port?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 05:27:14 pm »
But what I don't understand is why is Southport called SOUTHport? South of what, FFS? And where's the frigging port?

South of the river Ribble?

The port got closed due to the sea pissing off.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 10:02:56 pm »
his smile was very VERY real when hamann scored that freekick  ;D<- bit like this... well a bit like every LFC fan watching that game  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 10:35:52 pm »
Since the other Stevie G thread has been locked, this thread may be the place to point out the value of his comments. Aside from the issues of the dubious context in which they were given, Stevie did his team mates (in effect his team) a great service in taking the pressure off them, and letting the media concentrate on what he had said.

The focus was on him, as the team had been written off by everyone in the media, and now even the club captain said the same. No one had expected anything from us tonight, yet we got what was essentially a decent result. If he had kept quiet, we would have seen a lot more media pressure on the players available to play, on the manager, and on our 'form' in general.

I don't know if Stevie is smart enough to think up a scam like this himself (I'd like to think so), but I'm pretty sure that Rafa is.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 11:28:29 pm »
That made no sence to me, but i laughed
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Durango

• Can see into the future...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 11:38:01 pm »
South-enders flee to Garston and Speke,most people who flee to Huyton come from the north -end of the City
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 12:32:16 am by Ben S »

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:45 pm »
Bootle is the real Liverpool.  ;D

Happy clapers with happy snakes
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 11:40:28 am »
 :no 1, 2, 3... :no
 :no 4, 5, FUCKIN 6  :no
 :no 7, BASTARD 8, FUCKIN 9, TWATTIN 10  :no

no didn't work

Av you gone fuckin mental or what bollocks ?

The Fuckin English Civil War was caused by less
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 01:10:53 pm »
" South-enders flee to Garston and Speke"

Flee FROM Garston and Speke lad.

Purple bins.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 01:45:12 pm »
Interesting thread. IMO there is only one problem with Stevie G which was Frank Lampard sitting on his during Euro 2004 which left him brain damaged.

Offline RED1975

• Boys Pen
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 04:56:46 pm »
I've been twatted all over this city and the hardest dig I took was from someone from Netherley!

In all seriousness, this is a load of shite,  :butt 

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 05:54:08 pm »
I've been twatted all over this city and the hardest dig I took was from someone from Netherley!
Is fucken right lad.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 05:58:51 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 07:39:01 pm »

cheaky twat, bootle's not as bad as it was. kirby on the other hand!! ;)
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 06:08:43 pm »
cheaky twat, bootle's not as bad as it was. kirby on the other hand!! ;)

And me hailing from Breck Road!

Offline REDGE

• Boys Pen
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2005, 06:18:17 pm »
 Ow can u say ders anyfin wrong wiv stevieg
Hes boss

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2005, 06:20:01 pm »
Redge I repect most peoples opinions, but can you stop using that shite text speak, it fookin does my head in, preety please?

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2005, 06:13:43 pm »
Ow can u say ders anyfin wrong wiv stevieg
Hes boss

are you the 257th member of blazin squad?
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline fowler9

• Boys Pen
  • Done the treble
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2005, 11:58:00 am »
Bootle isn't even Liverpool, it's Sefton ;)

The only reason north enders may be harder is because its a dump so you have to be to survive.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2005, 03:46:59 pm »
I loved this - first laugh since "that" game.

Oh and being form the north of they city like me made it all the more enjoyable  8)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.