Author Topic: No more heroes left in the game  (Read 13424 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
No more heroes left in the game
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:41:43 pm »
The ball was methodically played forward, it was the first 30 seconds of the game, the ball breaks from one legend to another and with a sweet strike, that many fans had become accustomed to, the ball swerved from left to right into the corner of the net. Not even a minute gone and Dalglish had put Liverpool one-nil up against nearest rivals Everton.

The players all came together, screaming in celebration. It meant as much to them as it did to us, they knew they were privileged to play professional football, and to do it at a club like Liverpool FC where there was so much passion, pride and unity made it all the more sweeter.

If you were ever lucky enough to meet any of these great players, they would smile and look you in the eye. Most happy to sign what ever you put in front of them, happy to know that 2 seconds of their time would last a lifetime for the fan on the receiving end. Knowing that the fella who's eyes were lit up to see his kid get a pat on the head from a player at the club where they spent their hard earned wage just to see them each week, was worth more than any money he could earn or want.

This is the start of my era of football, and so I naturally begin here. Obviously my dad and people older than me have similar memories and feelings for the players in their day. It was something that seemed to just happen naturally through the ages. After all, "they are just people like you and me just with a God given gift. Nothing else".

In those early years of my football education, I made it my duty to learn as much about the players as I did about the club. The players made the club, but they all knew that none of them was bigger than the people who 'employed' them. Wooltonian graphically demonstrated this in a previous article on RAWK about his experiences of a brief meeting with Phil Neal that he cherishes forever:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,5624.0.html

I rattled on about all the games I'd watched, all the countries I'd travelled to, what I thought about the team, where we would be celebrating the obvious TITLE that would be coming our way in May. By this time we had come out of the toilet and were walking through the airport, and I was still blabbering on about all sorts, when Ronnie Moran came over and said something to Phil, and then it happened .....

"Hang on Ron, I'm just talking to a fan"

"HANG ON RON, I'M JUST TALKING TO A FAN"

That's what it meant to the players. They were proud to play for the club, and understood how much it meant to fans.

I appreciate that things move on in life, and although certain areas of the game have improved for the fans benefit – I think the majority of things haven't.

We now have great pitches [usually] to enable the players to perform to their best, and produce wonderful football. They are trained so thoroughly that tiredness seems to no longer be an issue in the game, and diet and sports science has helped benefit the fans with a full 90 minutes of "all out" football.

But then we have the problems of money and over exposure. These have bred players who want to be front page stars rather than back page heroes. They want to reach the millions around the globe rather than the people closer to home in their city. This has bred arrogance.

Money is the root to many modern day problems, of which I don't need to bore you with repetitive reminders. The control has shifted from manager and club, to player and agent. The fans in the ground matter less than the fans watching on the TV [or so it seems], and those who dedicate time, effort and money week in week out, matter less than those who come less frequently and spend big bucks in the stores that are rigged out from top to bottom with mostly useless merchandise that clutters your house and makes you look like some sort of American "sports nut" who shouts "Go team Go".

Now days, I don't support the players, I support the team. The players on the pitch mean nothing to me personally. I have no connection with them whatsoever. The only players who have come close in the last decade are Fowler, Gerrard [pre the shit last summer] and Carragher.

I am sick of feeling empty and annoyed when they run off the pitch after a defeat to get into their Porsche and get home to the blond darlin' and a slap up meal with 'friends' in some swanky bistro, and then onto a contemporary club to sip Don Perignon '63. They can't even be bothered to face the fans who have spent a vast majority of their weekly wage to see them play in that Red shirt.

I am fed up with the players not being proud to be 'one of us', and look the fans in the eye and give honest answers without the need to consult Ted McMoney the newest agent in town who can get yer an extra £10k a week "if you just say this and do that".

I want my players to feel like we do. I wanna hear just one person say "I,d fuckin' die to win the league here" or "Money? Why should I be arsed. I love this club and I'm on £60k a week anyway, when most people would 'ave to work 4 or 5 years to earn that". I wanna see them almost in tears when they are celebrating a goal that means so much to the club and its fans [a la Aldridge and McMahon in the derby years ago going mad almost punching each other with pride and delight] I wanna see players just touch the "This is Anfield" sign, even if they are told by powers above that they 'have to', but better still if they choose to, and know why they do it.

I want to feel like the players deserve that shirt and the history and heritage that pulling on that jersey means. I want players to know why we have the Shankly Gates, the Hillsborough Memorial and the Liverbird. All the things that players in times gone by would have taken as 'part of your job to know and do'.

If some of the things that have happened in our past – both good and bad – have happened these days I doubt very much the link and bonding between fans and players would have be created now, that was formed back then.

The gap between "us and them" is bigger now than it's ever been. You'd think I was talking about Man United or Arsenal saying that previously....but I'm talking about us and the players we pay so much to watch.

I'm disillusioned with it all. It's got fuck all to do with the last weeks events – I'm used to this sort of shit now as a Red. I can take defeat on the chin. It's the build up over the last few years of feeling like I'm putting all the effort in, and getting nothing back. I may spend 20-30 hours making a flag for a player; only to take it to the game, shout their name to show them how much it means to us and see them look at the flag directly and look away. No wave, no smile, no nod, no shout, no thanks. Nothing. Why fuckin' bother?

I may spend hours searching for transport and hotels on the net, spend vast amounts of money to get there. Take time of work to do it. Spend money while I'm away – whilst loosing money whilst being just being there – and then view 11 players who don't care about the people on the terraces, and most that don't care about the club. For those days, it becomes my life, and yet the players are just picking up another £60k, going through the motions and running off the pitch back to the luxury lifestyles and sheltered lives. Why bother?

The bull shit story on the back of the Mirror today about Bellamy brought all these feelings back to mind. Like I say, it's not just a recent thing. I've felt this way for a while, but seeing us linked with that horrible c*nt who epitomises everything that is wrong, and bad about modern day football, just made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. I know it's probably all bullshit, but it still made me think.

I really don't know how much more I can justify. I love the game, I love my club, I love the pride of being a Red....but match days are slowly becoming more about the pre and post match bevvy than the game itself.

And that's not right is it?

Why should we sit quietly and accept it?

A disgruntled ....

© Roper 2005
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 02:58:56 pm by Roper »

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
Re: No more Heroes left in the game.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 01:51:40 pm »
 :'( Your posts just get better and better Roper. I think the points you make outline just why the fans love Carra so much. He clearly does give a fuck. Your point about the lads touching the TIA sign. The only one who i can remember who does it every game is Milan. Louis Garcia would but he cant reach ;)
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:57:40 pm »
fantastic.

I DO have to ask...

whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?  ;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:59:06 pm »
Yeah, I know, it's sad. The world has got colder, the game has just followed suit..
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 01:59:45 pm »
Brilliant article Roper.

Quick question though  - did the fans shout out as much abuse to our own players then as some do now. Guess what I'm getting at is this - sometimes I think the players keep their distance from the fans as whilst they are worshipped by some, others are just as quick to hurl abuse at them?
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Offline Polemicist

• Part time feedback tourist.
  • Anny Roader
  • Scouse Solidarity...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:11 pm »
A thought provoking piece Roper, and I think you’ve managed to skilfully put into words an emotion of almost accepted bewilderment, which is applicable not just to football, but to many aspects of life. In a hyper-capitalist world which is increasingly (and more perversely) driven by money and its supplanting of morals, perspective and passion, we often concur with above sentiment at the remaining things we care about (outside of our families), as we no longer have any viable control over them.

I suppose the only way to change this from within, but in an increasingly apathetic world (you only need to visit Anfield every other Saturday afternoon, no sorry morning, no sorry Sunday) to hear that we’re often resigned to accept the inevitable.
Boycott The Sun: Honour the victims, the families, the City.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 02:10:08 pm »
Andy superb - I'll move it onto front page later.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 02:11:29 pm »
good post...i tried to touch on something similar in a post today about passion and winners....players today are spoiled bastards , most anyway, who raise their games for some matches and in others happily turn up do fuck all and collect their pay cheque....we need "winners"

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 02:20:26 pm »
I think Milan deserves a mention, as he's apparently a nice bloke off the pitch, and gives 100% every game when on it. Not a legend, of course, but he seems to have it in perspective (for the time being).

I do worry about players when fans meet them. I am about as far removed as you can get from someone famous, but I've still been freaked out by someone approaching me at a match knowing who I am, and I haven't got a fucking clue who they are. They've spoken to me as if they know me personally, and I'm thinking "who the fuck are you?".

It's tough for players these days when the media pries into every aspect of their lives, and thousands of fans want their little piece of them, and their time. If you're naturally shy, as Michael Owen is, it must be tough; some players, like Beckham, want the attention - others just want to play football and win medals, and to go home to a quiet life. The more people hassle them, the more they withdraw. In the old days I guess it was easier to go to the pub for a quiet drink to unwind and not be given any bother. Not so anymore. There's more pressure on all footballers these days, and less ways to unwind in public.

Heroes are out there - and they always will be. But so are villians. Neil Ruddock was seen as 'one of the lads', but he spent his time pissing our money up the wall, and cheating us.

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 02:24:41 pm »
Roper mate, first class post. Echos what many of us are feeling.

Every single beat is red !

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 02:29:51 pm »
while reading David Conn's The Beautiful Game, i was reminded of the fact that had slipped my mind, but is part of this discussion

what's that wonderful phrase you all have, "made redundant..."

player on a  £50,000/wk contract cannot be made redundant, the rest of the employees at a club can, but not the players...

where is the incentive for winning?

during the '60's and 70's, when many of these romantic images of players battling for the club were solidified, and rightly so, i'm sure part of the reason why the players played so hard was that winning was important to trying to earn a better contract, part of a very limited supply of money at the time.

and bonuses for winning matches meant something, then, also...

the players could make a lot more money if they won, simple as that.  i'll dig out my copy of The Glory Game about Spurs in the early seventies, i know Davies goes into the bonus packages and the effects on player salaries at the time in detail.

this sort of thing seems to have disappeared entirely; there is no real monetary incentive to win once you've gotten to the top of the pile in the Premier League, whereas players like Toshack, Keegan, Clemence, Dalglish, or whomever you want to mention from the glory years, even though they were stars on the best team in Europe, still had to fight tooth and nail every time they went onto the pitch.

this may be behind the recent noise being made about incentive-based contracts being emphasized, at United, i think?

eloquent post, Roper, especially the bit about the important thing becoming the pre- and post-match bevvy...

maybe that's always been the most important thing, sharing the passion with the other supporters...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 02:29:58 pm »
I think Milan deserves a mention, as he's apparently a nice bloke off the pitch, and gives 100% every game when on it. Not a legend, of course, but he seems to have it in perspective (for the time being).

I actually dont agree with you Paul. Milan would have left for Barca had the offer come in, and i have no doubt that once he has built a solid enough reputation, that he will still "do a dusty".

I like Milan, he is hard working and at least puts it it...but I fear his love for the Kop is not the real deal mate. Sorry, just an opinion.

The rest about players bein freaked out etc etc... I do agree and i dont. I think over expposure means that more people know who more players are these days. But on the other hand, the players of yester-year didnt do too badly with it all.  :-\

Offline gates of shanks

• Anny Roader
  • Barrow Boys we are here
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 02:31:19 pm »
awesome post. I think Carra is one of the heroes of ourteam!
When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of a storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
Walk on.....

Offline steer

• Grampa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 02:39:37 pm »
cracking post andy. pretty much sums up how i feel at the moment as do a lot of football fans in general...it doesnt matter which team you support - us the supporters are all starting to think the same.

also agree about milan....Milan is probably my favorite player at the moment if i have one, but know deep down that he would jump at the opportunity to move to barca...aka gerrrard to real....

I think the fowlers, carras of the world are becoming rare...

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 02:41:16 pm »
I don't think I've had a hero since I was a kid, although Robbie went close. Would seem odd somehow having a hero who was younger than I was.

I do want the players to appreciate the fans though, and have respect for the club and a desire to win things for the club.

My little lad has heroes, he loves all of them. After the Charlton game he wanted to go and wait for the players to come out so so I took him down to the Centenary gate. We waited ages in the cold, there were quite a few people there, mostly day-trippers I think but lots of young kids. We were kept outside behnd the gate and the railings. When the players started coming out not one of them came over to say hello or sign an autograph. Dudek was the only one who even looked over at where we were and even then he just seemed to find it amusing. Carra ran as fast as he could to his car and didn't even give us a sideways look. I felt like going after them and dragging them back by the scruff of the neck to where all the kids were waiting. My little lad was very disappointed, he actually thought that the players would like to see him as much as he wanted to see them. Makes me angry just to think about it.
Legacy fan

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
Re: No more heroes left in the game
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 03:02:25 pm »
Fantastic post Roper.

I've already said this season, if it wasn't for some of the wonderful people I've met solely through going to the footy I'd seriously consider if it was worth it anymore.  I put the commitment in almost every week why can't they? And the only reason I cannot put the commitment in every single week is money.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 03:03:41 pm »
I actually dont agree with you Paul. Milan would have left for Barca had the offer come in, and i have no doubt that once he has built a solid enough reputation, that he will still "do a dusty".

Maybe. But that's the club he's always dreamed of playing for. If you were doing a great job for Spurs and Liverpool came in for you, you'd want to go, surely?

I just know that Milan takes time to chat to fans and sign autographs, and gives 100% on the pitch. You can't ask for a lot more than that in the modern age!

Anyway, good stuff mate. Keep up the fine work!

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 03:09:17 pm »
he actually thought that the players would like to see him as much as he wanted to see them. Makes me angry just to think about it.

Upsetting isnt it?

I am fully aware that to the players, walking out of the ground and seeing hundred of kids is nothing new. Its week in week out for them, and it would be hard to sign for them all [and obviously harder once word got out to say they did] But the odd one or two wouldnt go a miss, and just a smile and the words "Thanks" every so often?

Some people will probably say "well they cant please everyone" - and that is a fair point. But I would hope that those players know how much 2 seconds of their time with one kid means to that kid and those who were there. Its hope, its even inspiring. Yet, they dont seem to care.

Maybe the players get that mentality cos they join clubs at ages from 8-12+ and they themselves dont have the heroes and things we worship cos they dont get chance?

Its like in years gone by, players used to sign the odd autograph during a warm up, or before or after...now days they dont even look over. The 1st game I took the Carra flag, we stood in the ground from 7:15 at an 8:00 kick off. Im a 25 year old lad, and i felt a bit of a tit - but it was important to me, and i though Carra would absolutely love it [cos he doesnt get too much praise]

I know the club [these days] probably doesnt allow them to sign etc - but I just wanted a nod, or a smile, anything to say 'thanks, i appreciate that'....but got nothing. It got to the point where one of the lads with me shouted "Oi Jamie.....CARRA!!! get on this" and he just looked over, and looked away. We were gutted.

I still think Carra is head and shoulders above anyone else at LFC or anyone who has been there in recent years....but even he seems very un-arsed about it all. I later found out that he did see it, and was chuffed with it [but at the time I was gutted - and it would only have took a wave or whatever]

I think we just expect too much?

But I just tend to think what I would give to be in their situation, and what I would do if i was there....and although I appreciate over time that the repetitiveness could annoy me - I would still make sure just a small amount of my time was given.

I mean i work 35 hours a week [minimum] for fuckin buttons....and every day I take about 60-80 phone calls, most of them are people giving me grief, or who are not arsed that I am trying to help them....yet I know i have to do it - cos I get paid to do it....why the fuck dont they?

:-[

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 03:13:31 pm »
Another fantastic post. These opinion articles have come thick and fast lately and they are a joy to read...even if manyo f them do hit home some sad truths about the modern game.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 03:14:45 pm »

Maybe. But that's the club he's always dreamed of playing for. If you were doing a great job for Spurs and Liverpool came in for you, you'd want to go, surely?

Fuckin is right I would....but, while I was at Spurs I would make it my duty to know a bit about the club like, so I had something to say to fans etc etc, and signing autographs, well, that should be the very least really shouldnt it?

:wave

Online Al Bol

• Ugly Bastard. Brother of Spag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 03:19:25 pm »
Great post :thumbup, yet depressing at the same time.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 03:19:41 pm »
Absolutely spot on again mate.

He didn't necessarily want them to come over and speak to him, he just wanted them to maybe notice him and give a smile or a wave, but even that was too much for them. It isn't like we had approached one of them when they were out for a meal or anything stalkerish like that, we were at the match with dozens of other fans, mostly kids. My wife was with us because I had a spare I hadn't been able to get rid of and she was absolutely disgusted. She grew up in the same area as Thommo, Mike Marsh etc and they were really down to earth ordinary blokes who valued the people who support the club. She couldn't believe these multi-millionaires running to their Aston Martins and even getting their cars brought right round to the door so they wouldn't have to see anyone.

Having said that we were at the Blackburn away game the following week and we were right at the front. Kirky was signing loads of autographs during the warm-up and I got my lad up on my shoulders and went over and Kirky signed our ticket stub. Danny was absolutely made up with that, even though he prefers Dudek  ;D

Legacy fan

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
I don't think I've had a hero since I was a kid, although Robbie went close. Would seem odd somehow having a hero who was younger than I was.

I do want the players to appreciate the fans though, and have respect for the club and a desire to win things for the club.

My little lad has heroes, he loves all of them. After the Charlton game he wanted to go and wait for the players to come out so so I took him down to the Centenary gate. We waited ages in the cold, there were quite a few people there, mostly day-trippers I think but lots of young kids. We were kept outside behnd the gate and the railings. When the players started coming out not one of them came over to say hello or sign an autograph. Dudek was the only one who even looked over at where we were and even then he just seemed to find it amusing. Carra ran as fast as he could to his car and didn't even give us a sideways look. I felt like going after them and dragging them back by the scruff of the neck to where all the kids were waiting. My little lad was very disappointed, he actually thought that the players would like to see him as much as he wanted to see them. Makes me angry just to think about it.

You waited in the blistering cold for them for four hours,
and they just said no. That's pretty shitty man, they're like his fucking idols
He wants to be just like them man, he likes them more than I do

;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 03:50:39 pm »
You waited in the blistering cold for them for four hours,
and they just said no. That's pretty shitty man, they're like his fucking idols
He wants to be just like them man, he likes them more than I do

;)

Am I missing something?  ;D Sounds like a song lyric.

Wasn't four hours, more like half an hour. Not blistering cold either, just a bit chilly  ;D
Legacy fan

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 04:23:20 pm »
Cracking article Roper.  Depressing as fuck but the whole thing is. 

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 04:45:12 pm »
From "TheLa" from YNWA.tv

Can't disagree with any of that.

I remember my mum worked as a lollipop lady on County Road during the 80's and would see alot of players (Red and Blue) in their cars coming away from the ground on various days of the week. She use to ask them for their autographs for me and my younger brother and all of them obliged and were really nice about it. My mum got to know some of them fairly well and Bruce Grobbelaar and Craig Johnston in particular would stop and talk to her when they were passing, nothing more than a bit of mundane chit-chat 'How's the kids' etc. but me mum would come back and tell us which player(s) she had been talking to that day.

On one occasion my mum had mentioned to Brucie that it was my birthday in a couple of weeks and that I was really looking forward to it, a couple of days later Brucie stops to chat to me mum, as usual, and gives her a football signed by the team for me. A fucking birthday present off Bruce Grobbelaar. Me mum didn't wait 'till my birthday to give me it either, when she got home from work that night she said she had a present for me, gave me the ball and said 'That's off Bruce Grobbelaar' fuck me! Bruce Grobbelaar remembered my birthday!

Unfortunately, like a nobhead, I took the ball to show my mates and had a game of footie at the end of the street. Ruined it in an hour. What a fecking idiot! But the gesture meant more than the gift itself. I doubt players nowadays would stop for a Lollipop lady these days let alone stop to talk.

Offline myrlas