Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100840 times)

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #400 on: April 27, 2017, 12:20:29 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aWq8Bjs1drU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aWq8Bjs1drU</a>

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: April 27, 2017, 12:54:59 am »
Moonlandingz were fucking boss. Glad I wasn't right in the front row like as Johnny Rocket was wearing a cling film mini skirt and that was it. Cock right at face level for those at the front.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2017, 02:27:18 pm »

So WOD , who's with me , pitchforks and flaming torches?....c'mom!!

I'm with you on WOD. I walked out on them live. Not for me at all.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
Got the new Feist one to listen too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:01 pm »
Very much enjoyed the new Part Chimp album ('IV'). First album in a while for a band I've seen mentioned in dispatches for a number of years as one I should maybe listen to, but had failed to till this morning. Had a first peek at The Quietus in some time and spotted a Baker's Dozen with a member of the band and he mentioned Trumans Water's 2nd LP as one of his favourites, so I had to finally lend an ear. Lovely stuff. I could definitely hear alot of Trumans in there... highly recomended. Particularly enjoyed 'Ro-Ro' and 'The Saturn Superstition' particularly. Will be there or thereabouts in a top 10 I imagine for this year.

Repetitor in the local pub for free tonight!

Was bloody jealous reading that ;D

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:47 pm »

I'm with you on WOD. I walked out on them live. Not for me at all.

A bit meh. Decent show a couple of years ago, it was a double feature with Misty and I went to see the latter. Okay listening if you're in an elevator.  :P
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: April 27, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »

Was bloody jealous reading that ;D

Ridiculously good. To the point where I had to buy a Tshirt that I probably won't wear. They ended up with loads of people following them from Amsterdam to Leiden to Rotterdam. What a fucking band!

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: April 27, 2017, 10:36:44 pm »
A bit meh. Decent show a couple of years ago, it was a double feature with Misty and I went to see the latter. Okay listening if you're in an elevator.  [emoji14]
I saw them at Le Guess Who and we walked with the intention of seeing Coat Hangers. As soon as we come out we saw the queue for Neutral Milk Hotel who were on later so just joined the back of that. Correct choice really. They were incredible.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2017, 11:32:16 pm »

Ridiculously good. To the point where I had to buy a Tshirt that I probably won't wear. They ended up with loads of people following them from Amsterdam to Leiden to Rotterdam. What a fucking band!

Been a while since I've been to a gig that's made me join the t-shirt queue! ;D Yet to come over to the UK... surely will do soon? They'll probably play at the Portland Arms in Cambridge. A mate of mine lives nearby and shit me do they get the gigs I'd like to go to.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2017, 03:17:08 am »
So WOD , who's with me , pitchforks and flaming torches?....c'mom!!

I'm hoping that if we just didn't talk about them at all, they'll quietly disappear. The Nickleback of the RAWK music threads.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: April 28, 2017, 03:17:36 am »
Moonlandingz were fucking boss. Glad I wasn't right in the front row like as Johnny Rocket was wearing a cling film mini skirt and that was it. Cock right at face level for those at the front.

Some real balls out rock n roll then.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #411 on: April 28, 2017, 05:08:24 pm »
I'm hoping that if we just didn't talk about them at all, they'll quietly disappear. The Nickleback of the RAWK music threads.
;D

Farrrck off!

There's a time and a place for smooth dad rock  :P

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: April 28, 2017, 08:18:19 pm »
There's a time and a place for smooth dad rock  :P

I only had kids so I could legitimately listen to dad rock ;D

But seriously, hats off to my Dad for playing tunes dead loud in the car throughout my youth. He loves a best of.

Top 7 Dad's Car Cassettes:

1: New Order / Substance
2. Talking Heads / Once In A Lifetime
3. Frank Zappa / Strictly Commercial
4. REM / Out of Time
5. Simple Minds / The One With 'Waterfront' On (belting tune)
6. Penguin Cafe Orchestra / Broadcasting From Home
7. Paul Simon / Gracelands
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #413 on: April 28, 2017, 09:58:26 pm »
I think Damn the Torpedoes is the most dad record ever made.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #414 on: April 28, 2017, 10:18:26 pm »
Caught a few things on 6 Music that were entirely new to me over the last week or two...

'Out the Way' - Nadine Shah (listened back to her past singles and will be parting with some cash for the albums this weekend):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/foz1y69Qnbc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/foz1y69Qnbc</a>

'Ubu' - Methyl Ethel (yet to explore any more really):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P56OpE_qDo8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P56OpE_qDo8</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:26 pm »
I don't know War on Drugs. Will give them a listen tomorrow. Listening to the single now tho... it is smooth.  8)

But seriously, hats off to my Dad for playing tunes dead loud in the car throughout my youth. He loves a best of.

4. REM / Out of Time

Hats off indeed. My dad didn't like music - any music. It's probably where I get it from.

Ooh.. guitar solo.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2017, 10:52:30 pm »
Check this out!...Fucking amazing track..single actually , 14 minutes worth...a Jazz based cacophoney of soaring melodies and crazy drumming and a vocal choir reminiscent of late seventies film soundtrack....stunning!

Kamasi Washington - 'Truth'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rtW1S5EbHgU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rtW1S5EbHgU</a>

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:27 pm »
New Gorilaz ... soooooo many features, none of them I've heard of. I knew it was coming but still ... anyway, still a good album
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
Check this out!...Fucking amazing track..single actually , 14 minutes worth...a Jazz based cacophoney of soaring melodies and crazy drumming and a vocal choir reminiscent of late seventies film soundtrack....stunning!

Was good to hear a new tune by him, cheers. Have to say I was never that sold with his LP, and it's the same with this single. I should give it another go but it's a bit dull isn't it?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »
The new Feist album is excellent.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: April 29, 2017, 04:47:19 pm »
Had a video this week called I CONTROL WHAT YOU LIKE!

I like him for that alone. He get's that he's a meme. I think his reviews are great as well, soz
I get that he can do a good analysis of music, I just disagree with a lot of what he says.

I think he lost a lot of respect in my eyes for his review of Arctic Monkeys' 'AM' ... terrible review
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #421 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:58 pm »

4. REM / Out of Time

Quality, a fine education you received

My Dad was a basic bitch when it came to best of's. It was The Eagles, Kenny Rodgers and Elton John in our car. I remember a mixtape of country and western hits of the day as well knocked outby one of my Dad's workmates. SELECTA

Bit of Randy Travis and Garth Brooks for the long journey home. Probably explains a lot! 

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 29, 2017, 07:03:11 pm »
Thought Thurston Moore was dead there the way C4 News introduced their interview with him! Nice little segment and he's still alive!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #423 on: May 1, 2017, 06:44:44 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rtW1S5EbHgU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rtW1S5EbHgU</a>

Just came into the thread to post this FB.....Tom Ravenscroft (who's equally smitten by it) just played it on 6 Music and it stopped me dead in my tracks.....absolutely tremendous
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #424 on: May 1, 2017, 10:11:33 pm »
the new Feist album is blowing my tiny mind.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 2, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »
the new Feist album is blowing my tiny mind.

I really like it after the first few listens but feel that the last two or three songs aren't quite as strong as the rest.

Absolutely love the middle section of the album though. Any Party and Century are great songs.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 3, 2017, 12:01:30 pm »

Just came into the thread to post this FB.....Tom Ravenscroft (who's equally smitten by it) just played it on 6 Music and it stopped me dead in my tracks.....absolutely tremendous

I heard that at the same time I think...yeah its good IMO...gave me Pharoah Sanders/Alice Coltrane type vibes.

Not feeling the Feist one, had a few listens but I can't see myself choosing to put it on over Metals...

Just heard about Granddaddy's bassist, RIP. First saw them in 1998 supporting Super Furries, I remember the bassist cos he used a slide on his bass, first and last time I've seen anyone do that.

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #427 on: May 3, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »
Not sure if I'm late to this party... but well impressed by The Dawn Brothers - Stayin' Out Late.

Got an Americana rock 'n roll sound. Assumed they were American to be honest, as the sound seems quite genuine, but think I've read they're dutch.

Well worth a listen. My fave of 2017 so far.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #428 on: May 3, 2017, 12:31:06 pm »
Don't normally listen to stuff like this, or anything that contemporary really. I was intrigued by all the hype about Kendrick Lamar's latest album though and turns out it's justified, really enjoying it.

Now I'll balance that out with an old-before-my-time gripe. Why do people call album releases "drops" now, and will they stop?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #429 on: May 3, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
I know Flashing Blade hates him but the new Father John Misty album is a really great piece of work.

He might be a bit of a twat but this is a really strong record with lovely production.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 3, 2017, 10:45:42 pm »
I dont hate him., I just hold him and his music in contempt as  I find it self indulgent and smug. Ive just read the NME ( RIP) review of it and it made me puke..it compared it to 'Whats going on' for fucks sake!!...fuck this, the thing that winds me up is there real shit going on right now and what we need is visceral popular music that shines a light on things or provides a rallying call of hope...( Give me 'Shipbuilding' 'Ghost Town' or 'Going Underground' )  not this middle of the road shite.

This has been Partly Political Broadcast on behalf of the 'FlashingBlade Partaaayy!'

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #431 on: May 4, 2017, 02:18:22 pm »
Not sure that it's the kind of thing most of you on hear listen to, but the new Big Big Train album, 'Grimspound', is great. Beautifully played prog rock with evocative lyrics - they really are a wonderful band - and there's a guest vocal from original Fairport Convention singer Judy Dyble.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 4, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »
Give me 'Shipbuilding' 'Ghost Town' or 'Going Underground'

'Give me tunes from when I was young and full of energy' you mean? ;D

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 4, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »
Sleaford Mods tonight in the Melkweg. I've only just seen that The Ex are the support which is great news.

Sunday should be good as I'm in Rotterdam for Thee Oh Sees and Feyenoord should be winning the Eredivisie title for the first time since 98/99 so the city should be buzzing.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 4, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »
'Give me tunes from when I was young and full of energy' you mean? ;D

How dare you!!...I fought in the Punk Wars y'know!!...if it wasnt for  me you'd all  be listening to Middle of the Road , AOR rock now!...er!...

Actually your right I often muse on my disappointment with the lack of social commentry and 'movements' for change in  modern popular music is basically me wanting to be 16 again....though I would openly welcome such a thing even if it excluded me by age ( or taste) ...as it should do!...but I cant help myself , when you hear the passion and read  the lyrics of Going Underground, surely everyone should be asking where is that likes of that now!!?...having said that I also think the age of 'rock'n'roll as a challanging social and cultural popular art form maybe  over.

Filler , step into my office , we need to establish your understanding of the word 'Dull'

« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 03:32:10 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: May 4, 2017, 03:37:54 pm »
How dare you!!...I fought in the Punk Wars y'know!!...if it wasnt for  me you'd all  be listening to Middle of the Road , AOR rock now!...er!...

Actually your right I often muse on my disappointment with the lack of social commentry and 'movements' for change in  modern popular music is basically me wanting to be 16 again....though I would openly welcome such a thing even if it excluded me by age ( or taste) ...as it should do!...but I cant help myself , when you hear the passion and read  the lyrics of Going Underground, surely everyone should be asking where is that likes of that now!!?...having said that I also think the age of 'rock'n'roll as a challanging social and cultural popular art form maybe be over.

Filler , step into my office , we need to establish your understanding of the word 'Dull'

I'm rather blithely hoping that this anti-establishment social commentary role in music is being filled by something beyond my ken, like grime or hiphop, and as you say us older ones are excluded by age or taste...I think you're right that rock'n'roll as a genre to challenge the establishment is probably long done. Once something becomes extremely popular it gets co-opted by the mainstream, like all those American 'punk' bands that make a mockery of the whole shebang...

there's also the problem of penetration...ooer...but the way the likes of The Jam or the Specials could get on a prime time TV show and people would be watching it - those spaces simply don't exist anymore as everyone has their custom podcast playlists or infinite-choice streaming services...even if those bands did exist, we'd probably just lack an avenue of finding out about them - until they give up and sell out and the marketing budget comes into play...

I wish I was younger again just so I wouldn't want to go home after standing for 45 minutes at a gig...'Alright lads, no need for an encore, my hands have gone numb due to bad circulation, just play the hit and fuck off so I can go to bed' ;D

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #436 on: May 4, 2017, 03:37:55 pm »
Mate told me the new Afghan Whigs album is streaming. Gonna wait for it on Spotify but he told me good things.

Japandroids tonight in Manchester  ;D

Ye wha la.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 4, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »
I'm rather blithely hoping that this anti-establishment social commentary role in music is being filled by something beyond my ken, like grime or hiphop, and as you say us older ones are excluded by age or taste...I think you're right that rock'n'roll as a genre to challenge the establishment is probably long done. Once something becomes extremely popular it gets co-opted by the mainstream, like all those American 'punk' bands that make a mockery of the whole shebang...

there's also the problem of penetration...ooer...but the way the likes of The Jam or the Specials could get on a prime time TV show and people would be watching it - those spaces simply don't exist anymore as everyone has their custom podcast playlists or infinite-choice streaming services...even if those bands did exist, we'd probably just lack an avenue of finding out about them - until they give up and sell out and the marketing budget comes into play...

I wish I was younger again just so I wouldn't want to go home after standing for 45 minutes at a gig...'Alright lads, no need for an encore, my hands have gone numb due to bad circulation, just play the hit and fuck off so I can go to bed' ;D

Couldn't agree more...and thats makes me a bit sad.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 4, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »
I'm really digging the Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever EP 'The French Press', played it a lot this last week.

Also enjoying the Kevin Morby RSD release, got my hands on a copy. Townes Van Zandt cover on the b side, always good value. I like the way Morby has subtle little protests in songs, in Beautiful Stranger its gun violence he turns his sights on (ha, unfortunate turn of phrase there). And all proceeds go towards anti-gun violence charity...

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #439 on: May 4, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »

I got this a few weeks back, it's alright.

You dig this listen to Sanders, Karma. it's a continuation of the work Trane was doing before his death. A really tight two track LP. Kamasi is carrying on from there.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"