Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1833614 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #33440 on: April 26, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »
^^^ Best place to talk about this is in here...as it's basically a social ride.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #33441 on: April 26, 2017, 06:00:54 pm »
^^^ Best place to talk about this is in here...as it's basically a social ride.
;D

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33442 on: April 26, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V-fWN0FmcIU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V-fWN0FmcIU</a>

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33443 on: April 26, 2017, 09:09:41 pm »
We have bike lanes?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33444 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:10 am »
91.90 miles cycled yesterday in awful, extremely windy and cold conditions.
Very disappointed as I had set my heart on doing at least 125 miles.  My longest ride to date is 122 miles    :D
So much for my plan of getting up at 3 and setting off at 3.30, it was 9am by I got going due to something completely out of my control.
Never mind, I'll give it another crack soon

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1700184697

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33445 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:14 am »
We have bike lanes?
There's some on...Vauxy, Nethy, Greaty...and Prescot road...and they're just sections, not the of those whole roads.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33446 on: April 27, 2017, 10:11:41 am »
91.90 miles cycled yesterday in awful, extremely windy and cold conditions.
Very disappointed as I had set my heart on doing at least 125 miles.  My longest ride to date is 122 miles    :D
So much for my plan of getting up at 3 and setting off at 3.30, it was 9am by I got going due to something completely out of my control.
Never mind, I'll give it another crack soon

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1700184697
Could you not pick a more clement day...it's going to be lovely tomorrow, Friday and from next Monday, the whole week is forecast to be good.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33447 on: April 27, 2017, 11:18:44 am »
There's some on...Vauxy, Nethy, Greaty...and Prescot road...and they're just sections, not the of those whole roads.

I know, there's actually a couple I regulary ride on, more towards Manc though. Thought you posted that because you had recent encounters with rough parkers. It was a bit :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33448 on: April 27, 2017, 11:26:51 am »
Not been out since last weekend. Hope to 'ease' my way back in from tomorrow.... ;D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33449 on: April 27, 2017, 12:19:36 pm »
Could you not pick a more clement day...it's going to be lovely tomorrow, Friday and from next Monday, the whole week is forecast to be good.
Fridays I go out on a night ride with 2 mates, we meet up at 7pm on Newcastle Quayside and usually go for a waltz somewhere round the lovely Northumbrian countryside.  I have other plans for Saturday and hardly ever go out riding on Sundays, especially between April and September because the Weekend Warriors our out in force as are the Joggers and Dog Walkers.

I'll be back out on Tuesday next week    :)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33450 on: April 28, 2017, 07:44:26 pm »
I keep reading how much money you save as a cyclist. I've never saved anything, but I can easily spend a grand a year on bike parts. ::)

As everything to do with cycling, I must be doing it wrong.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33451 on: April 28, 2017, 07:45:21 pm »
Oh and Human Race, owned by ASO, have bought/taken over the Fred. Another reason never to ride it! ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33452 on: April 28, 2017, 07:55:37 pm »
I keep reading how much money you save as a cyclist. I've never saved anything, but I can easily spend a grand a year on bike parts. ::)

As everything to do with cycling, I must be doing it wrong.
I've spent about 3 grand this year. Don't tell anyone tho. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33453 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »
I've spent about 3 grand this year. Don't tell anyone tho. ;D

That includes at least one new bike though, that doesn't count. ;D I haven't even looked at other bike stuff, it's all just boring things like chains, cassettes, bearings, tyres (ok, tyres aren't boring :lmao )

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33454 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:50 pm »
That includes at least one new bike though, that doesn't count. ;D I haven't even looked at other bike stuff, it's all just boring things like chains, cassettes, bearings, tyres (ok, tyres aren't boring :lmao )
Food, wheels, clothing, all of the above. Just this week I've bought three wheels. A pair of disc wheeels and a rear Campagnolo Proton. Endura bibs, inner tubes, a coupla boxes of gels, 4 undershirts and nine pairs of socks...expensive lark cycling.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33455 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:44 pm »
Food, wheels, clothing, all of the above. Just this week I've bought three wheels. A pair of disc wheeels and a rear Campagnolo Proton. Endura bibs, inner tubes, a coupla boxes of gels, 4 undershirts and nine pairs of socks...expensive lark cycling.

Maybe just invest in a washing machine? :P ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33456 on: April 29, 2017, 08:43:30 am »
Maybe just invest in a washing machine? :P ;D
Monday I'm off for a week to Calderdale....want me to roll up there in scruffy arl clothes...bad enough I've gotta take this kite. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33457 on: April 29, 2017, 08:54:17 am »
Monday I'm off for a week to Calderdale....want me to roll up there in scruffy arl clothes...bad enough I've gotta take this kite. ;D
Any excuse ;D
As if you haven't got a wardrobe full of socks and undershirts already. ;D

Hope you have fun out there. :)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33458 on: April 29, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
Any excuse ;D
As if you haven't got a wardrobe full of socks and undershirts already. ;D

Hope you have fun out there. :)
There'll be no fun. It's gonna be at least 100 feet per mile each day I'm there. There's live cycling from 9 am....the women's TOY.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33459 on: April 29, 2017, 01:19:57 pm »
There'll be no fun. It's gonna be at least 100 feet per mile each day I'm there. There's live cycling from 9 am....the women's TOY.

Its all fun, even when it hurts. We had this debate before. ;D

Been out myself, women's tour of Cheshire. :P

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33460 on: April 29, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
Anyone know an online shop that's good for spare parts? Think I have to get a new big chainring, they don't seem to sell them anywhere, only the whole cranks.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33461 on: April 29, 2017, 04:18:20 pm »
Anyone know an online shop that's good for spare parts? Think I have to get a new big chainring, they don't seem to sell them anywhere, only the whole cranks.
A decent replacement chain ring...Middleton or T-A Specialites.

Shops-Ribble, Merlin or Chain Reaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=chainrings&cat=direct

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/components/gears-drivetrain/chainrings/

https://www.merlincycles.com/chainrings-1-93717/

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33462 on: April 29, 2017, 04:29:30 pm »
A decent replacement chain ring...Middleton or T-A Specialites.

Shops-Ribble, Merlin or Chain Reaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=chainrings&cat=direct

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/components/gears-drivetrain/chainrings/

https://www.merlincycles.com/chainrings-1-93717/

Thanks D. I checked all of those, neither of them have the one I need. There's a Middleburn one that might be right, but it costs as much as a new crankset. Might just as well change all then. Been thinking about this for about a year. ::)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33463 on: April 29, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
Thanks D. I checked all of those, neither of them have the one I need. There's a Middleburn one that might be right, but it costs as much as a new crankset. Might just as well change all then. Been thinking about this for about a year. ::)
Try Quinns.

Middleburn kit's not cheap is it. My crankset is nearly £500 to buy...fuckin nuts. Do you know the BCD? Have a look on Ebay.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33464 on: April 29, 2017, 04:45:24 pm »
Try Quinns.

Middleburn kit's not cheap is it. My crankset is nearly £500 to buy...fuckin nuts. Do you know the BCD? Have a look on Ebay.

Bike parts cost more than bikes. ::)

Just found one that fits, £70. Whole crankset is £90 at CRC, hmmm.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33465 on: April 29, 2017, 04:55:05 pm »
Bike parts cost more than bikes. ::)

Just found one that fits, £70. Whole crankset is £90 at CRC, hmmm.
Chain set.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33466 on: April 29, 2017, 04:57:13 pm »
Chain set.

Yeah, it's what I'm thinking. I just hate having to replace things that are in perfect working order, just because you can't get the one thing that actually needs replacing.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33467 on: April 29, 2017, 05:03:42 pm »
Yeah, it's what I'm thinking. I just hate having to replace things that are in perfect working order, just because you can't get the one thing that actually needs replacing.
I can dig that. But we both know if you just replace the ring.....

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33468 on: April 29, 2017, 05:08:10 pm »
I can dig that. But we both know if you just replace the ring.....

Yeah, its more the principle of it.

Unlike with yours, it's the big ring that wears out first for me. The climbing ring is basically pristine. :lmao

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33469 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:46 pm »
Pain to have to get the whole thing but better to have everything new if the difference is only 20. Out today the wind isn't my friend. Venturing to Wales tuesday
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33470 on: April 29, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »
Pain to have to get the whole thing but better to have everything new if the difference is only 20. Out today the wind isn't my friend. Venturing to Wales tuesday
Whereabouts?

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33471 on: April 29, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »
Worlds End Horeshoe pass a ride we done last year but that's just a starter, one of my mates is organising a ride into Wales each week to get us used to them there hills. I'm throwing your Ruthin 60 mile loop on the table as my contribution ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33472 on: April 29, 2017, 06:25:58 pm »
Worlds End Horeshoe pass a ride we done last year but that's just a starter, one of my mates is organising a ride into Wales each week to get us used to them there hills. I'm throwing your Ruthin 60 mile loop on the table as my contribution ;D
I hate Worlds End...road surface was awful last time I was there.

You riding up from Llay to Minera...that's a conky one too. Rather you than me. Have fun, A.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33473 on: April 29, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »
The boxing's on here.

https://streamboat.tv/@hawks2

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33474 on: April 29, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »
Great, cheers!

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33475 on: April 29, 2017, 10:26:55 pm »
Are Trek bikes any good?  Still looking in the 500 quid ballpark.  The local store linked to our cycle to work seem to sell a lot of them.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33476 on: April 29, 2017, 11:06:05 pm »
I hate Worlds End...road surface was awful last time I was there.

You riding up from Llay to Minera...that's a conky one too. Rather you than me. Have fun, A.
That's down to Matty he's a mountain biker ;D
Are Trek bikes any good?  Still looking in the 500 quid ballpark.  The local store linked to our cycle to work seem to sell a lot of them.
They're good, I ve got one but Don't ask Dave

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33477 on: April 29, 2017, 11:06:40 pm »
Good fight that

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33478 on: April 29, 2017, 11:09:30 pm »
Good fight that

Great fight, best I've seen in ages.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33479 on: April 30, 2017, 07:59:01 am »
They're good, I ve got one but Don't ask Dave
Thanks