Author Topic: Six Nations 2017  (Read 40838 times)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Six Nations 2017
« Reply #480 on: February 26, 2017, 10:22:30 pm »
The cream has risen to the top Nick and let it stay that way.

Amen brother!

Seriously though, where are all the Welshies? They've gone long ago, not just before the 6N. Where are people like Jason etc??

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #481 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »
Amen brother!

Seriously though, where are all the Welshies? They've gone long ago, not just before the 6N. Where are people like Jason etc??

I think they weren't feeling appreciated enough in the thread. Or else the years of Gatland ball has finally taken it's toll on them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #482 on: February 26, 2017, 10:40:39 pm »
The cream has risen to the top Nick and let it stay that way.

True, but you guys are doing well in second place, you can be proud of that.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: February 26, 2017, 10:56:05 pm »
True, but you guys are doing well in second place, you can be proud of that.

It's nice to give the plucky underdogs their moment in the sun from time to time. We knew what it was like for a long time so it's only fair now to let ye have yer chance. We'll be sick of it by Paddy's day though and rightfully reclaim our title as the powerhouse of Rugby in the North.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2017, 12:30:18 pm »
The fuss over his "Referee not a coach" comment was a bit weird, while it was funny, he was being asked a question by Haskell which was a follow up to what the referee said before that about when the ruck is formed.

It was a really hard game to referee, and I think once England started turning it round on italy, Poite lost control a bit of when there was and wasn't an offside line. I saw him at one point signal a ruck and offside line, then Italy players ran away and into the offside, and he called Tackle only. It's no wonder everyone was so confused.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
Scotland all the way up to 5 in the world rankings now, France in 8th, not sure if they can fall behind Argentina in 9th though. Looks as though it will be Argentina as the nightmare 3rd seed everyone hopes to avoid in the world cup.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »
Anyone reckon they could pick an England team full of players who would be making there debut? Interested to see what players are about who have yet to pop up in national selection.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #487 on: February 27, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »
Scotland all the way up to 5 in the world rankings now, France in 8th, not sure if they can fall behind Argentina in 9th though. Looks as though it will be Argentina as the nightmare 3rd seed everyone hopes to avoid in the world cup.

That'll be us who gets them then! When is the draw made?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
The fact that Rob Howley is the Lions' attack coach is utterly depressing.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2017, 01:27:47 pm »
That'll be us who gets them then! When is the draw made?

May.

A bit crazy considering it's 2 years before!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »
May.

A bit crazy considering it's 2 years before!

It was done 3 years early for 2015. Thankfully it didn't come back to haunt us too much...

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2017, 03:35:18 pm »
Having 5 times the population size would mean ye should have a much superior record to us  ;)

But as you say in the grand scheme of things I couldn't give a shit about anything else this weekend only what happens to us tomorrow.
still never get why people think just because you have a bigger population you should be better at sports, India and China must be world champions at every sport going on that principal

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2017, 04:08:07 pm »
still never get why people think just because you have a bigger population you should be better at sports, India and China must be world champions at every sport going on that principal

Just imagine what those plucky underdogs NZ could manage if they didn't have a smaller population than Ireland...

The fact that Rob Howley is the Lions' attack coach is utterly depressing.

Very, Wales have been going backwards for a few years now, the tried & trusted method of letting Jamie Roberts smash it up the middle, recycle & let another loose forward whose found him playing in the centres smash it up the middle, seems to have been found out since England tried & failed to beat them at their own game 18 months ago
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:14:59 pm by Old No7 »

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2017, 05:16:25 pm »

It's not about population in total it's about the number of people actually playing rugby and England has more than anywhere else in the world.
Legacy fan

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #494 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »
It's not about population in total it's about the number of people actually playing rugby and England has more than anywhere else in the world.

The vast majority will be Old Priorians over 35s and the like and not really pitting themselves forward for selection (unless they van play in the Back Row).

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: February 27, 2017, 05:29:06 pm »

the post I responded to didn't say that it mentioned about population. And even the amount playing means nothing it's down to talent and coaching not the amount of people playing the sport and those playing at a young age to be considered for top teams it's alright having loads of players playing but if they are in vets leagues etc it's meaningless

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
The vast majority will be Old Priorians over 35s and the like and not really pitting themselves forward for selection (unless they van play in the Back Row).

In 2011 there were an estimated 2.5m rugby players in England but that included juniors and female players. England still had more senior male players than anywhere else, not far short of the rest of the six nations put together. Other countries have a lot of non-elite rugby as well, not just England.
Legacy fan

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:21 pm »
the post I responded to didn't say that it mentioned about population. And even the amount playing means nothing it's down to talent and coaching not the amount of people playing the sport and those playing at a young age to be considered for top teams it's alright having loads of players playing but if they are in vets leagues etc it's meaningless

Mostly juniors rather than vets, the 2011 stats showed that England had a lower proportion of senior male players than most other countries, even though that was still more in numbers than anywhere else.

England do very well in junior age groups so the talent is there and they have talented coaches, just doesn't translate into dominance on the world stage as adults.

Legacy fan

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:34 pm »
In 2011 there were an estimated 2.5m rugby players in England but that included juniors and female players. England still had more senior male players than anywhere else, not far short of the rest of the six nations put together. Other countries have a lot of non-elite rugby as well, not just England.

Isn't all Scottish rugby non-elite?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »

Fair point.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »

My post wasn't intended to be a critique of the age profile of active rugby players in England.

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:41 pm »
My post wasn't intended to be a critique of the age profile of active rugby players in England.
no it was saying the bigger the population the better at sport it should be which is clearly why China and India dominate all sports as I said

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:10 pm »
no it was saying the bigger the population the better at sport it should be which is clearly why China and India dominate all sports as I said

It was also clearly said tounge in cheek

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2017, 08:53:29 pm »
It was also clearly said tounge in cheek

;D

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
I like Rugby, Rugby is fun

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »
If China and India were really into sport in the same way Europeans and Americans are they would be up there in anything they chose. To say population doesn't come into it is ridiculous.

And going back to Ireland v New Zealand, it's New Zealand's undisputed first sport where as it's Ireland's 3rd/4th.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:47 pm »
And going back to Ireland v New Zealand, it's New Zealand's undisputed first sport where as it's Ireland's 3rd/4th.

So it's not all about population then :D

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:53 pm »
So it's not all about population then :D
I never said it was. It just comes into it when it's a popular sport within that country. At a guess I would say Rugby is atleast 3rd/4th in England more likely second if you include League which players can switch between fairly seamlessly.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2017, 11:28:27 pm »
I never said it was. It just comes into it when it's a popular sport within that country. At a guess I would say Rugby is atleast 3rd/4th in England more likely second if you include League which players can switch between fairly seamlessly.

8th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/22806853

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2017, 11:30:22 pm »

I know, take my initial comment about the population of Ireland v New Zealand in the spirit that it was meant

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #510 on: February 27, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »
8th.

While argument has gone a bit ridiculous but it's the second most popular team sport there.

Either way, it shows there's a lot of options out there in England and Ireland and in Australia too. New Zealand has rugby and then a variety of ways to cheat death by jumping off things and that's about it. It's no wonder they're half decent.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2017, 12:00:35 am »
While argument has gone a bit ridiculous but it's the second most popular team sport there.

Either way, it shows there's a lot of options out there in England and Ireland and in Australia too. New Zealand has rugby and then a variety of ways to cheat death by jumping off things and that's about it. It's no wonder they're half decent.

And if that fails pick the best of the crop of young Pacific island talent each year & move them over

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2017, 12:02:00 am »

So which of football or cricket is not a team sport?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:55 am »
So which of football or cricket is not a team sport?

I meant to say winter sport. In terms of participation I'm sure you have plenty playing football or rugby and then cricket too.

This was more fun when we laughed at Wales. :(

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:55 pm »
8th.

I've no idea how the count them but I can't believe half that list.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
I've no idea how the count them but I can't believe half that list.

Participating in sport once a week it says, so presumably if an old granny goes for a dip at the local baths that's one for swimming.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2017, 07:15:28 pm »
This was more fun when we laughed at Wales. :(
Leave the Welsh alone. Not putting the mockers on it before Friday week

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:44 pm »
Leave the Welsh alone. Not putting the mockers on it before Friday week

Nice choice of beige. But I will leave them alone, in fact I'll be rooting for those lovely boyos in red next up!

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2017, 07:18:58 pm »
Having 5 times the population size would mean ye should have a much superior record to us  ;)

But as you say in the grand scheme of things I couldn't give a shit about anything else this weekend only what happens to us tomorrow.

5 times?

Isn't it more like 12 times?

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2017, 07:19:20 pm »
Nice choice of beige. But I will leave them alone, in fact I'll be rooting for those lovely boyos in red next up!
We wouldn't have it any other way.