Author Topic: Liverpool vs Watford, Sunday 6th November, 2.15pm  (Read 34249 times)

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Watford, Sunday 6th November, 2.15pm
« Reply #80 on: November 2, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »
ah, the old Glen Hoddle / David Pleat prattism! These pundits are just bonkers, the only big club we haven't played and got something from is City and we did well against them last year!

They are bonkers!
Can't get over it ;D It's not even just them giving their typical bullshit opinion; even a quick glance at a list of our results this season would show their words up as the ramblings of a madman. The weirdest part though is that more than one pundit has said it.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 2, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »
Roberto Firmino    Liverpool   693
Raheem Sterling       Man City   656
Sadio Mane           Liverpool   648
Nathaniel Clyne           Liverpool   628
Eden Hazard           Chelsea   628
Nathan Redmond   Southampton   628
Diego Costa           Chelsea   627

These are the sprints made this season, courtesy of Sky.

Firmino is incredible. As is Mane, considering he missed a game.

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #82 on: November 2, 2016, 08:02:41 pm »
We should be using our cracking form to make sure Can is in top form so I'd start him over Wijnaldum who I think is going to be an 8/10 player for us all season.

Not underestimating Watford cos they've come on leaps and bounds under Mazzari, but when we go a few up I'd love to see Grujic and Stewart getting some more minutes as we'll need them as the games pile up in December. Got to give the younger boys some game time in games that matter which includes Southampton as well

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 2, 2016, 09:23:15 pm »
We should be winning this but Watford have started well this season and they have some dangerous players. Like most games in this league, this one wont be easy. They havent lost in their last four in the league and have lost just 1 away game out of 5.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2016, 09:25:58 pm by killer_heels »

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 2, 2016, 11:37:21 pm »
There's no easy games in the Premier League etc, but we should win this, we are at home after all.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #85 on: November 3, 2016, 01:12:19 am »

as is Clyne, why miss him out
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 3, 2016, 01:31:21 am »
Clyne is the only one who is a defender in that list... it is incredible

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #87 on: November 3, 2016, 02:54:36 am »
Not saying Milner is better than Clyne but at stopping crosses he's better than Moreno. I also think that Clyne gets better protection from Mane than Milner gets from Coutinho.
That's the point. Unless you have better statistics, I'm saying it looks like Milner is better at stopping crosses but in reality he's not.

Online vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: November 3, 2016, 04:28:30 am »
We should be using our cracking form to make sure Can is in top form so I'd start him over Wijnaldum who I think is going to be an 8/10 player for us all season.

Not underestimating Watford cos they've come on leaps and bounds under Mazzari, but when we go a few up I'd love to see Grujic and Stewart getting some more minutes as we'll need them as the games pile up in December. Got to give the younger boys some game time in games that matter which includes Southampton as well

This sort of stuff never happens in Pl unless we play aston Villa .

I'd be happy with 3 points regardless of how it came

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #89 on: November 3, 2016, 05:07:58 am »
Another Tough game for us.

Funnily i'm sacred of these potential banana skins than big boys.

Don't worry about banana skins we have:

Offline Jesse Pinkman

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: November 3, 2016, 05:17:02 am »
That's the point. Unless you have better statistics, I'm saying it looks like Milner is better at stopping crosses but in reality he's not.

That doesn't tell the whole story though. It would be interesting to see the average distance between Milner/Moreno and the crosser (not sure if this is even measured?). I feel Milner does not allow easy crosses, and has the correct body posture when attempting to block corsses whereas against Moreno, the winger can easily whip one in.  It's more about the ease and quality of crosses than quantity IMO.
On Sterling:
Were spurs not happy to pay like £7-9m for him? I'd be giving Levy a call tonight to give him an option buy.
He's so over rated its ridiculous. Every time he plays he looks completely out of his depth and has done for about 9 months now.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #91 on: November 3, 2016, 05:31:13 am »
We'll win this.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 3, 2016, 05:42:11 am »
It'll be interesting to see how we do against Mazzari's 3-5-2, which is a formation I don't think we've come up against recently.

I'm reasonably confident that we can dominate and prevail against any team, but a different kind of opponent will be fascinating to watch.

I was wondering this myself. I imagine that if our front 3 can occupy a center back each then that will force their wing backs to make it a back 5 and really pin them into their third.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: November 3, 2016, 05:57:40 am »
I was wondering this myself. I imagine that if our front 3 can occupy a center back each then that will force their wing backs to make it a back 5 and really pin them into their third.

For sure a interesting Game. If our forward players play this past one touch football. We should see them off

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #94 on: November 3, 2016, 11:40:08 am »
Statistics don't necessarily validate your point. They are an analytical tool. In reality in the 2 games Moreno has played this season, we have conceded 2 goals directly from him not stopping the cross. I can't remember the same of Milner.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 3, 2016, 11:52:01 am »
Statistics don't necessarily validate your point. They are an analytical tool. In reality in the 2 games Moreno has played this season, we have conceded 2 goals directly from him not stopping the cross. I can't remember the same of Milner.
That's  very small sample size though. You can't stop every cross and can't do anything about the defending after it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #96 on: November 3, 2016, 11:59:09 am »
That's  very small sample size though. You can't stop every cross and can't do anything about the defending after it.

Small sample size ~ watching Alberto Moreno play 95 games for Liverpool.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 3, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »
as is Clyne, why miss him out
Why pick an argument?  ::)

I was commenting on the fact that Firmino is top and Mane probably would be challenging if not for missing Burnley...

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 3, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »
Karius not claiming crosses.

I'm just worried if he does, he's going to go to ground and then present the ball back in the ruck - who's going to play scrum half!?!?!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 3, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »
Watched the Burnley v Watford game and found Watford to be very pedestrian.

I think as usual its going to be a case of how they might stop is rather than us worrying about them.

3 - 0

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #100 on: November 3, 2016, 12:40:35 pm »
Watched the Burnley v Watford game and found Watford to be very pedestrian.

I think as usual its going to be a case of how they might stop is rather than us worrying about them.

3 - 0

Agreed! 3 point will do me just fine.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #101 on: November 3, 2016, 12:46:46 pm »
Just win please, any win will do. I'd take a sloppy last minute 1-0
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 3, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »
this is one of those games you go into it high on confidence and they give us a scare or worse.

that said, cant wait for every game this season, we are mentally and physically tougher now so should scrape it with a goal to spare.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 3, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »
I'm supremely confident that we'll maintain our performance level in this one, and that this will lead to another dominant display and comfortable victory.

I'd bet that they're all motivated to go out and continue improving defensively, without reducing our threat. ie - cutting out errors. So, with that in mind I'll predict a 3-0.

I'd have Milner back in at LB and keep Can in midfield, rest of the team picks itself.

Great opportunity to gain points on Arsenal, Spurs or both and Utd dropping points again wouldn't shock me with the Fenerbache game tonight.

Our focus should be on performing at our maximum. Achieve that and we win, barring a miracle performance from Watford, or a terrible ref.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 3, 2016, 12:57:13 pm »
Early goal please.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #105 on: November 3, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »
I could go back to last season, but it wouldn't help because Milner only started playing there regularly this season. There is a reason Milner is the preferred LB now, simply he is better defensively than Moreno. I like Alberto, but he needs to defend better and that's why he doesn't play the majority of our games anymore.

Your second point is valid but goals are a combination of mistakes, and Moreno is a weak link in that defence and as such places more pressure on his CB's.

Anyways on to Sunday, hope we get the 3 points because we owe them for last season.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #106 on: November 3, 2016, 01:32:22 pm »

Firmino missed a game too. Man's a machine!

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #107 on: November 3, 2016, 01:57:38 pm »

I'm sure we'll stick to our normal game and force them to try to play against our strengths, rather than trying to counter them. Having said that, playing a front 3 like we do relies on your attackers being able to consistently beat their man to create space. This game would be a great one to test the Sturridge/Origi strike partnership in the league. From a selfish perspective, that's something I'd really enjoy watching.

There's some logic behind it too. In theory, 3 at the back is weakest to two up front. Reason being, they drift into the space between Defenders 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 forcing someone out of position to meet them. This invariably creates space either on a wing or through the middle for a deep run from midfield.

So let's say it starts like this:

-------------------------------- Defender 1 -------------------Defender 2 ------------------Defender 3---------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------Striker 1----------------------Striker 2----------------------------------------------------

The defenders need to get close to the strikers or risk getting skinned on the counter. Regardless of how they chose to close down, space is created. I'll give two examples here but every possible combination results in a similar situation:

Example 1:

------------------------------------------ Defender 1 -------------------Defender 2 ------------------Defender 3------------------------------

------Midfielder/Fullback------------------------------Striker 1----------------------Striker 2---------------------------------------------------

In this case, the two strikers get narrow and draw Defender 1 & 2 into them, creating a gaping whole on the left for a midfielder & full-back to have a 2 on 1 with the opposition 'fullback'

Example 2:

---------------------------- Defender 1 -----------Defender 2 ------------------------------Defender 3---------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------Striker 1---------------Midfielder-------------------Striker 2---------------------------------

Here the two strikers stretch the back line, creating a gap in the middle for a deep run from midfield.

Obviously it's not always this simple and you have the opposition midfield tracking such runs but with fluid off-the-ball movement, it can be quite easy to create space on the counter against a back 3 if you chose two strikers. As for when they drop deep and create a back 5 with 3 in front, space in the box is obviously very limited but they make passing it around our back 4-6 incredibly easy and lack the extra body in midfield to close down long-range efforts. If they did that, you could expect a Coutinho screamer.

As I said, highly unlikely we'll mess with a winning formula but that's my 2 cents.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 3, 2016, 05:01:02 pm »
Nice OP, Nick.

Why's this on Sunday?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ScouserCal

• Main Stander
« Reply #109 on: November 3, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »
Tough one with Wij or Can.

Wij deffo better on the ball and knitting our midfield together but Can does help in his size and power alone.

Deeney be a threat & Can would help with that.

That said don't think we should worry to much about them if we play how we have been we should win this.

Come on reds !! 

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #110 on: November 3, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »
Nice OP, Nick.

Why's this on Sunday?
telly
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #111 on: November 3, 2016, 08:46:33 pm »
Anyone going the game on Sunday?

I think it would be really nice to give Danny Ings a good minute's appreciation (applause and singing) on 28 minutes to show our support for a lad who has had the worst luck since he joined us just over a year ago.

Let's show him what being part of our club is all about, and that we are behind him all the way as he battles another physical injury but has to deal with it mentally as well.

On 28 minutes; "Sing for Ings".

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #112 on: November 3, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »
No easy games and once again this a game that we should win.
#JFT97

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 3, 2016, 09:15:16 pm »

I think it would be really nice to give Danny Ings a good minute's appreciation (applause and singing) on 28 minutes to show our support for a lad who has had the worst luck since he joined us just over a year ago.

Let's show him what being part of our club is all about, and that we are behind him all the way as he battles another physical injury but has to deal with it mentally as well.

On 28 minutes; "Sing for Ings".

Really like this shout

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 3, 2016, 09:16:14 pm »

I'm going, can't wait for it my mates picking me up in a van

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 3, 2016, 09:34:58 pm »
telly

Feels weird after an EL/CL week for other clubs.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #116 on: November 3, 2016, 09:39:12 pm »
Feels weird after an EL/CL week for other clubs.

It's because we're boss and everyone wants to watch us.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: November 3, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »
I'm going, can't wait for it my mates picking me up in a van

hahahaha i remember......
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #118 on: November 3, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »
Nice OP, Nick.

Why's this on Sunday?

telly

Ok,  I'll telly.

It's because Sky are televising it.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #119 on: November 4, 2016, 12:15:07 am »
Nice OP, Nick.

Why's this on Sunday?

So we get an extra day to laugh at United!
We are Liverpool!