Author Topic: Liverpool vs Watford, Sunday 6th November, 2.15pm  (Read 34233 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Liverpool vs Watford, Sunday 6th November, 2.15pm
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:13:58 pm »

The most frustrating thing during an exciting season is having to wait so long between games. A lack of European football for the Redmen this season means that it'll be a whole 8 days by the time kick off comes around since Crystal Palace were put to the sword in thrilling style. Liverpool are in a 5 way battle at the top of the League and with so many teams in contention there's always a chance that a rival will drop points. This week it's a certainty with the North London Derby taking place. It means that as long as we take care of business it's another golden opportunity to put the pressure on the teams around us.

Liverpool welcome Watford to Anfield and that's not something we've been able to say too often. They briefly became regulars in the top flight in the 80s under Graham 'Do I not like that' Taylor with a certain John Barnes leading their charge that once led to a 2nd place finish. In the Premier League era we have only played them 3 times at home before. There have been a couple of very routine 2-0 wins but the result that sticks out for me is a horror show of a 1-0 defeat in the early days of 99/00. Gerard Houllier had his first summer in sole charge and stockpiled some array of talent from around Europe. Sadly we were upstaged by a balding journeyman Tommy Mooney. Thankfully it proved to be an early aberration and we went on to have a solid season before exploding to greater things the following year.

Most part time gamblers will have us nailed on to win and we'll be included in many an accumulator. Hopefully we don't let them down. We know full well from our away nightmare last season that Ighalo and Deeney can be a handful and they're currently involved in a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide which of them will get the customary goal against us that all Premier Leagues worth their salt manage. Hopefully it will be a Hull or Leicester style consolation rather than a West Brom style panic inducer or something even worse than that. Whilst we will be wary of the damage a cosmopolitan squad well managed by Walter Mazzari can do, we know that if we continue to play with the pace, verve and panache of the last couple of months then we have plenty of weapons of our own that will hurt them.

It's worth taking a closer look at the form table (always nice to do when we're riding high. I can't help but notice that as they were doing this time last year, Watford are punching well above their weight. 11 points from their last 6 is a very decent return and they'll fancy their chances of returning home with a point or more. That's not necessarily a bad thing, we prefer teams who come out and play, hopefully leaving some gaps for our quickfire attackers to exploit.

Selection Issues
It's almost certain that Loris Karius will continue in goal in place of Simon Mignolet. After several games with very little to do it was nice to see him make an important save against Palace and he'll most likely get the nod again.

Three of the back four pick themselves with Clyne, and the goal machines Matip and Lovren very likely to start. The question mark is at left back. Milner has had a great season so far but Moreno acquitted himself well against Palace and will be on standby again should Klopp decide his attacking enthusiasm is worth utilising against a side who will most likely be on the back foot for a lot of the game. That said, Milner's quality delivery would also be a good asset for us in this game.

In midfield we have a real scrap for places again. Assuming Henderson fills his now customary anchor role we have a battle royale between Lallana, Wijnaldum and Can for the final two spots. My money is on Emre to drop back to the bench for this one but as most of you know by now, I know chuff all.

Up front it's very hard to look beyond the ever improving dance troupe that is Mane , Coutinho and Firmino. Exciting news for all of us with the possible exception of Sturridge and Origi. It must be tough for both of them to watch on from the bench but it's a long season and their time will come. For now, it seems likely that Klopp will stick with his tried and trusted.

Prediction
Gazing into my crystal ball I see us starting with the following line up:

Karius
Clyne   Matip   Lovren   Milner
Henderson
Lallana   Wijnaldum
Mane   Firmino   Coutinho

I'll predict that Bonfire Weekend will go with a bang and go for a 3-1 win for the Mighty Reds with goals coming from Mane, Wijnaldum and Firmino...Deeney briefly giving the Hornets hope by making it 2-1.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2016, 02:52:31 pm by Rhi »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Watford, Sunday 6th November, 2.15pm
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »
After last season - I hope we have learned about Ighalo and Deeny and how to stop them

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »
Could be another ding dong battle this one, they've got some confident lads upfront - as have we. So long as we do what we've been doing for most of this season, we'll have too much for them. Would actually like to see a clean sheet however!

Rock and roll football, right.... more like pacemaker football!!

Come on you redmen, lets keep up the momentum coming into November  :lickin

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2016, 03:58:14 pm »
Fit again Milner to slide back in over Moreno. Only doubt would be Can in midfield.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2016, 04:06:49 pm »
Interested to see if Watford go for it and start with 2 up top and also interested in how we'd deal with with that. As of yet our CBs have only had to deal with a loan striker if I remember correctly. Obviously two up top would leave much more space for our attackers though. They're more than likely going to try fast counters so I wouldn't be against keeping moreno in the side.

Really looking forward to this. Although that seems to apply to every game these days.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2016, 04:08:46 pm »
Snip
Excellent OP, thanks for that Nick, I particularly liked the shiny graphics and colour pictures 8) :wave

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2016, 04:15:09 pm »
Agree with the team in the OP, although I feel Klopp will select Can again. Hard to drop him after he's scored.

Feeling a repeat of the Leicester game. 4-1.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2016, 04:18:00 pm »
I think people are overestimating Watford's fire power .Against Hull at home last weekend they failed to manage a shot on target and needed a scrappy own goal to win.W as poor against Swansea the week before as well. Ighalo is struggling for form pretty badly in 2016 scored just one league goal this season and 4 since the start of 2016.

What they do seem to do well is defend .They have 3 clean sheets in a row in their last three games .

Just need to be patient against their solid parked defence and be vary of their pace on the counter .

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »
3 points please a tricky game but have faith in the reds.

Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2016, 04:21:17 pm »
no midweek Liverpool football is such drag

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2016, 04:40:05 pm »
Surely Milner starts, Alberto did well against palace but not enough to keep Milner out of the side.

The only question for me is Can vs. Gini. Honestly have no clue who I would pick they've both been so impressive in recent weeks.

We need to score early to settle the nerves and then the Red Juggernaut can kick into gear. We're due giving out a proper honking and we need revenge on Watford after the calamity in January.

I'm going for 5-1 Liverpool. Firmino x 2, Mané, Lallana and Milner from the spot.
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2016, 04:49:04 pm »
Excellent OP, thanks for that Nick, I particularly liked the shiny graphics and colour pictures 8) :wave

It was nothing mate, any monkey couod have pulled those images together...

I was going to confidently spout about Watford probably paying two up top but I have a feeling that although they normally always both play, sometimes Ighalo plays wide and they just have one up toward five across midfield.  Wasn't 100% sure though so decided not to comment!

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2016, 05:02:49 pm »
will be my first time to Anfield.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2016, 05:03:03 pm »
Great selection headaches to have for Klopp..

- Can or Gini?
- Milner or Moreno?

Front 3 pick themselves for me.. Coutinho - Firmino - Mane

Hendo to hold, with Lallana buzzing around everywhere..

Karius continues between the sticks for me..

The machine, Matip and Lovren are no brainers as well..

I don't want to score 4 or 5.. just 1 would do just fine as long as we don't concede..

I desperately want a clean sheet to shut up everyone saying that we are defensively fragile and how this will cost us in May this season..

F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »
I desperately want a clean sheet to shut up everyone saying that we are defensively fragile and how this will cost us in May this season..

Yeah, I don't think we're particularly bad defensively, just hope we get a clean sheet so the media can shut up about them...

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #15 on: November 1, 2016, 05:12:22 pm »
I think the selection of Can/Wijnaldum will tell us a lot about Klopp's preference between the two. Both are fit and Can has scored. If Wijnaldum comes in, that will tell us Klopp's preference between the two.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16 on: November 1, 2016, 05:13:01 pm »
no midweek Liverpool football is such drag

I'm kinda enjoying it, not that I want it to be a long term thing, but I'm sort of liking the feeling of being relaxed through the week, but still plenty of footy on tv for me to watch with no stresses  ;D

Only big choices for the weekend is midfield I suspect.  Milner should be back in, I believe he's ok now.

I hope Gini is back in though. And I don't buy the argument of not being able to drop Emre Can cos he scored a goal.

It's nice to Can playing well the last 2 games, he's a great player and very important. But for me Gini has been one of the key players so far this seson and this team really ticks with him in that midfield, so I hope he's back in.

Offline morrisonlfc

• Main Stander
  • Life is only a dream
« Reply #17 on: November 1, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »
My first game at Anfield this season, 30th birthday on Friday, so hopefully the Reds can give me a happy weekend  :wave

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #18 on: November 1, 2016, 05:32:38 pm »
Can't believe we need to wait to Sunday to see the Reds play again.

Hopefully we smash these. Put a marker down heading in to the international break. Spurs play Arsenal so one of our rivals is guaranteed to drop some points so we need to take advantage. These are a dangerous team in decent form so can't be taken for granted. Much better than Hull or West Brom.

I'd personally go:

Karius

Clyne - Matip - Lovren - Milner

Lallana - Henderson - Wijnaldum

Mane - Firmino - Coutinho.

Tough choice between Emre and Gini but I think with the game being at home we could use Gini's quick touch and ability to move the ball around quicker than Emre.
Believe

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2016, 05:35:36 pm »
Gini maybe in for Emre, milner back in if fit. 3-0 lallana, firmino, mane.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline IzeOfAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »
Let's just smash this lot and maybe end up top of the table going into the international break. The international break will be horrible if we don't win.
Got to love the Klopp

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »
I can't wait - every match feels like a cup final at the moment, I think Can and Moreno deserve to remain in the first eleven.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2016, 05:57:37 pm »
These having been doing well away from home this season, Burnley aside but we know how that feels.

Can't see anything other than a comfortable win for us though.

With Arsenal playing Spurs and Chelsea playing Everton it gives us a great chance to pull away from our nearest challengers.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
I can't wait - every match feels like a cup final at the moment, I think Can and Moreno deserve to remain in the first eleven.

Tough call on Can.
I'd bring Milner back in though, he has been superb this season for me. And if we get a penalty its nearly a guaranteed goal with Milner on spot kick duty

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2016, 06:00:06 pm »
Watford have 8 points from their last 4 games and they kept clean sheets in 3 of those, so they're on a decent run of form. However, their opposition during that run has been Bournemouth, Boro, Swansea and Hull...so 3 of their 4 opponents during this run are in the bottom 6 in the table and the wins were far from convincing.

Normally I'd be worried about big, physical strikers like Deeney and Ighalo but having Matip in the backline makes quite the difference. Like is usually the case against teams that play very defensive, a goal in the first half hour will be crucial to see these off and open them up a bit more. Would like to see Milner back in for Moreno and Gini back in for Can.

2-1 to the tricky Reds.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
6-1 TO THE REDMEN, u heard it here first.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
Pretty cool that we are getting to the stage where people put up predicted/preferred line-ups and they are the same every week. Let's keep this run going.

Offline franny75

• Exchange Ban
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »
Don't think Watford will live with us on Sunday, the pace and the different angles we can attack defences from will have there defence wishing they had rang in sick. 3-1 with Matip scoring first.

Offline Eleven

• Voted for Trump. Not keen on LGBT rights.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2016, 07:28:22 pm »
This has the making of a difficult game, Watford are in good form and full of confidence.

Watford also have a decent away record this season, It's going to be a close fought game but I think we will just get over the line and win 2-1.

Couthino to be the difference maker.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2016, 07:54:00 pm by Eleven »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2016, 07:59:10 pm »
Any reason for this to be on a Sunday?  I'd've thought, with the European games this week, that this was an obvious Saturday 3pm kickoff.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 1, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »
Think this will be a scrap and they will put it on us but we will go home with the points

I can see Karius needing to have  a MOTM performance and coming through with one

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 1, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »
This has the making of a difficult game, Watford are in good form and full of confidence.

Watford also have a decent away record this season, It's going to be a close fought game but I think we will just get over the line and win 2-1.

Couthino to be the difference maker.

Same with West Brom and Palace. Both were games that in the past we wouldn't pick up wins from both. But we're a different side now and i'm confident going up against a side who have a good points tally but haven't really looked as good as they were last season at times. We've got a good game plan for these sides now it seems.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 1, 2016, 08:27:32 pm »
Any reason for this to be on a Sunday?  I'd've thought, with the European games this week, that this was an obvious Saturday 3pm kickoff.

It's a televised match.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 1, 2016, 08:41:00 pm »
Don't think Watford will live with us on Sunday, the pace and the different angles we can attack defences from will have there defence wishing they had rang in sick. 3-1 with Matip scoring first.

I wouldn't really underestimate them. They seem to blow hot and cold.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 1, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
An 8 day wait between games is outrageous.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline franny75

• Exchange Ban
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #35 on: November 1, 2016, 09:16:51 pm »
I wouldn't really underestimate them. They seem to blow hot and cold.

Yeah agreed. On their day they can be a handful for anyone especially Deeney up front, i'm sure he is an absolute nightmare to mark. But i have a feeling their defense can be got at by a team that moves the ball so quickly and the interchanging of our front three will cause them all sorts of problems. I'm quietly confident we could have a very enjoyable sunday evening.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #36 on: November 1, 2016, 09:35:24 pm »
I want a win for my birthday. I expect it really given our form.

I wouldn't mind seeing Origi given a run out. He hasn't had too many starts this season and he was magnificent in the second half against Spurs. Klopp probably won't change a winning side for Watford though but I expect Gini will replace Emre.

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #37 on: November 1, 2016, 10:12:57 pm »
You know you're having a good season when you just can't wait until the next match, even when it's against one of the so called "lesser" sides.

Any win will do, though a game where we don't concede an absolute pigs dick of a goal would be a bonus.

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.
« Reply #38 on: November 1, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »
First 10mins has been revealing for our match mentality of late.
Up for the fight and going through the gears quickly - Gini great to have in that respect - augers well.
A draw will feel like a waste but that could be said for any remaining match, even vs cited, with the glorious form we are showing.
3-0. Put my left nut on it, easy now I've had the snip.

Thanks for a cracking OP.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2016, 10:41:25 pm by Nice one, Barney lad! »

Offline Eleven

• Voted for Trump. Not keen on LGBT rights.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: November 1, 2016, 10:31:53 pm »
Just forgot to note, cracking preview and probably my favorite yet.