Author Topic: Jon Flanagan  (Read 49279 times)

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jon Flanagan close to signing new deal.
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2016, 06:57:21 pm »
@LFCData

Flanno 1st half v Southampton

31 passes
1 chance created
2/2 tackles
5 clearances
2/2 headed duels

So much for him being "squad player" at best.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »
He'll improve. No doubt. Armband? Good experience for him, but I don't think he's captain material at the moment. First he needs to establish himself as a regular and IMO the captain should be one of the leading players in the side. Have no problem with the decision to let him lead the side today. Everyone should lead by example out there. It's not unique for the player with an armband.

i donīt think that age is a big factor of giving someoene an armband permanently... if the player has all the attributes and he is good enough to start, the age doesnīt matter imo. there are many examples in past and also present where young players are captains of their teams..

i would give it to Sakho before Flanno though....premanently... and it would be Lucas if he played consistently before him.... but Flanno should be in consideration as well for future.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »
Let's be honest if he wasn't Scouse he wouldn't have got the armband, he's definitely someone we should keep around for the effort he puts in, but his lack of pace and dribbling ability is worrying.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2016, 07:27:48 pm »
Let's be honest if he wasn't Scouse he wouldn't have got the armband, he's definitely someone we should keep around for the effort he puts in, but his lack of pace and dribbling ability is worrying.

Really. I'm just staggered by the comments against him on here. Why the sly Scouse comment ?

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »
Thought he was pretty dreadful in the second half, him and Skrtel were an absolute mess together on that side.

Having said that, whoever's played on the right over the last few months has usually had Milner in front of them who, for all his faults, is probably the best in the business at supporting his full back. Flanno's a good lad and it was great to see him get the new contract and the armband.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2016, 09:40:10 pm »

i thinik it is about the passion more than anything... + the fact he came back after a long long time after his injury and played amazingly well, certainly better than Moreno in defence for the games he could play...

he is not the first in my persona list of captains, but he is the top 3 for sure... if he keeps playing untill the end of season in first 11.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2016, 10:50:05 pm »
“........... if he keeps playing until the end of season in first 11"
Should that happen, I will start to worry about Klopp! Obviously he was in the team today because Moreno is injured and Milner was suspended!
For others who believe Flanagan should be in our first 11 next season, don't complain if we are challenging for 6th place again! IMHO, he's definitely not first team material.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2016, 10:58:41 pm »
I agree with that totally a decent squad player but thats about it for me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2016, 11:33:09 pm »
I agree with that totally a decent squad player but thats about it for me.

Yup, agree with this.

We have to be honest, that 90 minutes today was just a microcosm of the 241 minute of league football he's played in the last two seasons :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2016, 11:45:58 pm »
If he would have put in the performance of Clyne on Thursday, imagine how some of you would be tearing him apart.

If he would have put in the performance of Moreno countless times over the past two seasons, imagine how some of you would be tearing him apart.

Some of the cynical bastards around here would have been tearing Carra a new one every game when he was learning his trade at full back. Not saying Flanagan will be rise that high, but fucking hell, writing him off after today?

Giving him the captaincy has backfired a little, he wanted it too much. But there's a player in there. I'll tell you this, he's twice the full back of Moreno.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:19 am »
Lunacy to give captaincy to him.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:28 am »
Has he signed the contract yet? Why note bait him a bit...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2016, 01:08:44 am »
Has he signed the contract yet? Why note bait him a bit...

Captaincy after 2 years out?  Big responsibility.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2016, 02:20:04 am »
If he would have put in the performance of Clyne on Thursday, imagine how some of you would be tearing him apart.

If he would have put in the performance of Moreno countless times over the past two seasons, imagine how some of you would be tearing him apart.

Some of the cynical bastards around here would have been tearing Carra a new one every game when he was learning his trade at full back. Not saying Flanagan will be rise that high, but fucking hell, writing him off after today?

Giving him the captaincy has backfired a little, he wanted it too much. But there's a player in there. I'll tell you this, he's twice the full back of Moreno.
Saying he's a squad player at best, and a decent one at that, isn't writing him off though. Good player, glad he signed an extension and he can be a useful back up going forward, but i don't see how he should be our first choice full back in the long term. Better than Moreno though, and given our options at full back I wouldn't mind if he continued being our starting left back (or right back if Clyne switched there) until the end of the season. But left back is clearly a position we need to upgrade on.

Captaincy after 2 years out?  Big responsibility.
Maybe - but it's just one game. Giving him an armband shouldn't be that big of a deal. I don't think his performance today is the result of making him captain
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2016, 03:39:48 am »
We put way to much emphasis on who is the captain. Like, does whoever is captain ever actually reflect in the result or a even a players performance? If Klopp, who has coached a whole load of experienced players both here and Dortmund, wants him to be captain does it really matter? I honesty couldn't give a fuck if next game he decided Origi was captain, or Ojo, or whoever.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2016, 04:37:51 am »
We put way to much emphasis on who is the captain. Like, does whoever is captain ever actually reflect in the result or a even a players performance? If Klopp, who has coached a whole load of experienced players both here and Dortmund, wants him to be captain does it really matter? I honesty couldn't give a fuck if next game he decided Origi was captain, or Ojo, or whoever.

Exactly! I think Klopp thought it would do Flanagan good to be given the armband and it would never have affected the score.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2016, 05:41:53 am »
Saying he's a squad player at best, and a decent one at that, isn't writing him off though. Good player, glad he signed an extension and he can be a useful back up going forward, but i don't see how he should be our first choice full back in the long term. Better than Moreno though, and given our options at full back I wouldn't mind if he continued being our starting left back (or right back if Clyne switched there) until the end of the season. But left back is clearly a position we need to upgrade on.
Maybe - but it's just one game. Giving him an armband shouldn't be that big of a deal. I don't think his performance today is the result of making him captain

I agree with this.

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2016, 05:48:37 am »
Haha. The absolute fume on here just because I don't rate a local lad that much. I'm sure many of you guys love putting him on the pedestal. Scouse Cafu? Jesus.
And I'm not even saying he's bad, but I'm saying just not very good either. Flanno knows he has limits, and plays to his strengths. I applaud that, but it doesn't deny the fact that he has..limits.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2016, 05:52:12 am »
Everyone was moaning about him not being in the Europa squad and now people slagging the lad off

Two faced twats

You need to relax mate. Most are just stating he had a poor second half/game, which he did.

No need to be so uptight and defensive.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2016, 05:53:47 am »
I think he'll make a good, solid back up. Not sure he has it in him to be one of our first choice fullbacks for years to come though.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2016, 08:27:31 am »
You need to relax mate. Most are just stating he had a poor second half/game, which he did.

No need to be so uptight and defensive.

No they are not just stating he had a poor half/game - he is being written off - total opposite of the reaction of his game against City.  Typical RAWK.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2016, 08:43:58 am »
The same arguments were being had about Carragher here around 2001-2002. I think Flanagan still has time to progress and should continue to be given chances.

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2016, 09:23:12 am »
I think he'll make a good, solid back up. Not sure he has it in him to be one of our first choice fullbacks for years to come though.
You could have said the same about Carragher in the early years too though, no ?
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:23 am »
I like Flannagan, I really do, though like I said some time ago on here he really isn't good enough to be our first choice FB. Great to rotate, but gets beaten far too easily 1v1 and offers very little going forward.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:29 am »
Bloody hell, given some of the comments on here, you'd think some of our players had taken a bung and were playing for the opposition.

Yes the second half was a shambles but along with individual mistakes there were collective ones too starting with the manager's substitutions and our failure to adapt to their change in formation. We were outmuscled and looked tired and didnt hold our shape when the pressure was on as well as giving the ball away cheaply when in possession.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2016, 10:46:32 am »
Some absolute bollocks in here.

It speaks volumes of what Klopp thinks of Flanno to give him the armband in fron of other senior pro's.

Of course its important who is captain on the field,when you get serious shit going on you need the right player to be in the refs ear in the right way-refs will always listen to captains first & foremost and i have no doubt that saying & doing  the right thing in the heat of the moment can have a positive effect & could prevent cards brandished 0-yellow or yellow-red.

When you have a leader on the pitch who others respect,look up to that leads by example it spurs others on.

To dismiss what could be a fine player & leader on the pitch this early is fucking stupid.

Congrats & well in Flanno,really hope the kid fires on to the peaks of his pre injury.

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2016, 12:14:27 pm »
Some absolute bollocks in here.

It speaks volumes of what Klopp thinks of Flanno to give him the armband in fron of other senior pro's.

Not really. I don't think Klopp gives a shit who's captain in this current squad. He gave the captaincy to Enrique before. Probably uses it as a way to boost morale, likewise with Benteke when he made him captain when he had to play with kids lol. Or probably as a measurement of how someone deals under pressure, considering he's still evaluating the players. 

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2016, 12:39:08 pm »
I like Flannagan, I really do, though like I said some time ago on here he really isn't good enough to be our first choice FB. Great to rotate, but gets beaten far too easily 1v1 and offers very little going forward.

Partially agree, I think he still has time to develop to better positionally and make better decisions. He is a good defender, but other parts of his game are more limited.
Yesterday was not one of his better games, but that could be said for quite a few.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:48 pm »

Would it have made any difference if Lovren or Can were captain? It shouldn't. And I don't think it would.

He has worked tirelessly to come back fit, put in some good performances since to earn himself a new contract. It's a small gesture to him to give him the captains armband.

Someone else having it would have made no difference to the result IMO.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45:18 pm »
Would it have made any difference if Lovren or Can were captain? It shouldn't. And I don't think it would.

He has worked tirelessly to come back fit, put in some good performances since to earn himself a new contract. It's a small gesture to him to give him the captains armband.

Someone else having it would have made no difference to the result IMO.

Well said. Captain or not , wouldn't change the result. Is he our future solution to the full back issues? IMHO opinion I don't think so but he is a squad player for sure.
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2016, 01:06:07 pm »
The same arguments were being had about Carragher here around 2001-2002. I think Flanagan still has time to progress and should continue to be given chances.

I agree it is amazing how some people quickly pigeonhole him as a squad player. He has only just come back from a long term injury and is not currently playing every game. It will take time. I love the passion of Flanagan - something this team has missed and needs more of. If he can get to a level where he is consistent then there is no reason he could not become a regular. He is still learning and has missed a big chunk of time due to injury.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:36 pm »
I don't think Klopp gives a shit who's captain in this current squad.

Bollocks,if Klopp didn't give a shit about anything regarding the first team i'd question his appointment.

Of course he gives a shit..baffles me how anyone could think otherwise.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »

I don't see any similarities between Carragher and Flanagan beyond they're both Scousers and played full back at some point. But to assume that Carragher made it because he was given time and to correlate that with Flanagan is a massive injustice to Carragher. He didn't make it solely because he was given time, Carragher was always going to make it because his mentality and game intelligence are incomparable to most players. Look at how many positions he played before he ended up at centreback. You can't compare Carragher and Flanagan at the same age either, Carragher was already into his 3rd season as a guaranteed starter in a Liverpool squad that was winning Cup trophies and challenging for the title.

He's just signed a new contract, so he's clearly going to be given time to earn his starting place and prove doubters wrong, but that in itself is not a guarantee that he'll make it. I think he's an important part of our squad, and I don't suffer any doubts when I see his name on the starting sheet, and I'd rather see him at left back (when he get's his full form back) than Moreno, but that's more an indictment of Morena than anything else.

I'm still not sure why he was handed the captain's armband, there were 4 other candidates on the team sheet that I would have deemed more worthy, but Klopp reminds me of Popovich (Spurs coach in the NBA) in that he tries things out to test the response of his players, so I'll bow to his greater wisdom.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
I don't see any similarities between Carragher and Flanagan beyond they're both Scousers and played full back at some point. But to assume that Carragher made it because he was given time and to correlate that with Flanagan is a massive injustice to Carragher. He didn't make it solely because he was given time, Carragher was always going to make it because his mentality and game intelligence are incomparable to most players. Look at how many positions he played before he ended up at centreback. You can't compare Carragher and Flanagan at the same age either, Carragher was already into his 3rd season as a guaranteed starter in a Liverpool squad that was winning Cup trophies and challenging for the title.

He's just signed a new contract, so he's clearly going to be given time to earn his starting place and prove doubters wrong, but that in itself is not a guarantee that he'll make it. I think he's an important part of our squad, and I don't suffer any doubts when I see his name on the starting sheet, and I'd rather see him at left back (when he get's his full form back) than Moreno, but that's more an indictment of Morena than anything else.

I'm still not sure why he was handed the captain's armband, there were 4 other candidates on the team sheet that I would have deemed more worthy, but Klopp reminds me of Popovich (Spurs coach in the NBA) in that he tries things out to test the response of his players, so I'll bow to his greater wisdom.

Carra did make it at Liverpool though because he was given time. I would say more than 50% of the support wanted rid of him and some suggested the leg break was a good thing so he wouldn't be able to play for a while. It was only until Rafa stuck him in the centre back position around the end of 2004 that he really started getting love from our support and then he flourished. He won't be remembered as a full back.

The point I think he is trying to make is that Flanagan has only just returned to the team after an extremely long lay off. And who really knows if he will make it as a regular or not but some are writing off his chances after what seems about 4 games. If we did that with carragher he would have ended up somewhere else.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2016, 01:57:51 pm »
The point I think he is trying to make is that Flanagan has only just returned to the team after an extremely long lay off. And who really knows if he will make it as a regular or not but some are writing off his chances after what seems about 4 games. If we did that with carragher he would have ended up somewhere else.

Yup, I see your point, and I'd agree with it.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:44 pm »
Bollocks,if Klopp didn't give a shit about anything regarding the first team i'd question his appointment.

Of course he gives a shit..baffles me how anyone could think otherwise.

Go on..question his appointment. He's given the captaincy to Enrique, Benteke (players who are unlikely to be future Liverpool players). Enrique just got back from a injury, Benteke was and still is on a poor run of form. Its pretty obvious Klopp uses the captaincy as to see how a player fairs under pressure, or also as a morale booster. It doesn't mean that it speaks volumes about a player, or in this case flanno like you have claimed.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:28 pm »
Kansti,
Spin it how you wish,you claimed Klopp doesn't give a shit-i think otherwise.

Do you think there is any less thought handing the captaincy out to mrs jo bloggs handing out tickets at the deli counter?

Granted,he may test a player to see if he steps up or not-that could also have an adverse effect on those who have been overlooked.

To suggest he doesn't give a shit..unbelievable.

Yes i stand by his thoughts on Flanno,considering all the other candidates/senior players who some would have expected to get the armband before him.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »
Go on..question his appointment. He's given the captaincy to Enrique, Benteke (players who are unlikely to be future Liverpool players). Enrique just got back from a injury, Benteke was and still is on a poor run of form. Its pretty obvious Klopp uses the captaincy as to see how a player fairs under pressure, or also as a morale booster. It doesn't mean that it speaks volumes about a player, or in this case flanno like you have claimed.

Hold on, did Klopp not give the captaincy to Enrique and Benteke in the respective games where they played with pretty much a full youth team in the FA Cup??  And they were the senior players?

If thats the case, I don't think thats a good guage as to whether Klopp gives a shit about the captaincy or not.

For the record, I think he does.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »
Is Flanno injured or has he just not been picked since the Southampton game?

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:57 pm »
Flanno is such a good solid fullback, what with Klopp being one of the best managers in the world.. he won't miss that. Coupled with the affinity Jon has with the club, I can see him spending his career with us.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.