Author Topic: #GERRARD8: 2005? We'd seen it all before... One night in Dortmund, 2001.  (Read 6685 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
2005? We'd seen it all before...

Steven Gerrard scoring in a dramatic European final? Minds travel first, inevitably, to Istanbul in 2005. Often forgotten however by neutrals, but seldom by reds, our departing captain had in fact managed this feat before, in Dortmund in 2001.

2001 was an incredible year for Liverpool. Between 1993 and 2000, after decades of success, the club won the paltry total of one League Cup. Roy Evans' team played with flair but without consistency or defensive certainty. Gerard Houllier joined in 1998 and, after an ill-thought-out joint role with Evans, led something of a resurgence. Among his wisest decisions was to give Steven Gerrard his debut, barely two weeks after Evans' departure.

Two years later, Steven Gerrard was a mainstay. In 2000-2001, at the tender age of 20, Gerrard made 50 first team appearances, scoring a respectable 10 goals, including a stunner against Man Utd, the opening goal in a memorable 4-0 thumping of Arsenal, and his first European goal in the 3rd Round UEFA Cup trip to Olympiakos. Steven Gerrard was voted PFA Young Player of the Year for his role in an incredible season in which Liverpool secured a return to the Champions League and won an historic treble.

The pinnacle of this, for me, was the UEFA Cup final. Gerrard had started the League Cup final, playing 78 minutes before being replaced by Gary Mac. He then played 90 minutes of the FA Cup final, though Owen was the hero on that day. Four days later, Steven George Gerrard started at the centre of Liverpool's midfield in the club's first European final since the tragedy in Heysel in 1985, and the first UEFA Cup final since 1976.

The game is almost a blur for me now. Goal, after goal, after goal. Take the lead, comeback. Lead again, late leveller. Golden goal, unbelievable. At the heart of it all though, for 116 exhausting minutes, was 20 year old Gerrard, giving a typical all-action performance. And of course, he scored. With the reds a goal up through Marcus Babbel, Didi Hamann stole the ball in midfield and rolled it to Michael Owen. Gerrard's youthful legs carried him forward, directed into a wonderful position by a fine footballing brain. Owen picked him out (with a lovely pass to give him credit) and Gerrard finished with a coolness that belied his years, before celebrating wildly.

Later in the game, with the score at 3-3, Liverpool brought Vladi Smicer on for Stephane Henchoz, shifting Gerrard to right back. 3-3? Smicer off the bench? Gerrard at right back? 2005 was just history repeating itself.

The reds kept working til the very end, Gerrard preventing a goal in stoppage time with excellently judged defensive pressure, before whipping in a cross in extra time that Robbie Fowler so nearly got on the end of. An own golden goal gave Liverpool the trophy with minutes left before penalties. The treble was complete, and Liverpool, Steven Gerrard among them, celebrated deliriously. 5-4, one of the most incredible finals you'll ever witness, and a 20 year old local lad at the very heart of it. Gerrard's goal in the final was to start a fantastic run - he scored in the 2003 League Cup final, (the 2005 League Cup final, albeit in the wrong net  ;D ), the 2005 CL final, and he got two in the 2006 FA Cup final. But this was the first, and represented the start of 5 or 6 amazing years of finals and trophies, with Gerrard at the heart.

2001 for me was a coming of age for Gerrard. Not just a talented local midfielder, but a superstar in the making. A tough tackler, superb passer and a goalscorer. 5 trophies in the calendar year and his first international goal, a brilliant strike in Liverpool's 5-1 demolition of Germany. The true beginning of the legend. He will be massively missed, but gave us so many fantastic memories.

Good luck Stevie  :)  :wave

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:09:48 pm by JerseyKopite »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard - 2005? We'd seen it all before...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:33:58 am »
Thank you JK, indeed it was a fantastic year that SG contributed to. I treasure my picture of me & my lad with those 3 shiny cups.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: #GERRARD8: 2005? We'd seen it all before...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:59:46 am »
*Sigh*

What a few weeks that was in 2001, culminating in the UEFA Cup win. Even now I feel sorry for Alaves ;D

The best game I never watched! Not televised in the whole of New Zealand. Had to ring home and get my mum to commentate down the phone!

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:19:30 am »
Brilliant read. Cheers!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:33 pm »
Brilliant read. Cheers!

No worries, nice to have happy memories in what looks like a fairly miserable week ;D

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »
Enjoyed that, cheers JK.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »
I'm just happily reading the #GERRARD8 stuff and pretending the rest of this week isn't happening. ;D
Me too. It's a shame a truly great player's last week is being subsumed in a load of shite, really.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
Great memories of a great day out in Dortmund, cheers.

Oh, and just to echo what Rhi and No666 said.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:31:18 pm by jason67 »
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »
Nice read.

The uefa final remains such a blur. I remember going 2-0 up then the next thing I can recall is the golden goal and loads of people not really sure if we'd actually won or not. Absolutely mad.

Crazy also to think Gerrard was only 20 and played over 50 games. That's a huge amount for a kid and a very decent return of 10 goals. I won't draw any parallels to current players that age *ahem* except to say I wonder how much effect it had on him physically. I know there was a stage where people doubted his ability to be a long term captain for Liverpool and England due to recurrent niggly injuries particularly to his back when he was younger. Seemed to grow out of it though so who knows.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 04:46:23 pm »
Just reminded me how good (and vital) Gary Mac was in that season, wish Kenny would have signed him from Motherwell in the 80s, what a footballer, beautiful player, love him.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »
Just reminded me how good (and vital) Gary Mac was in that season, wish Kenny would have signed him from Motherwell in the 80s, what a footballer, beautiful player, love him.

I seem to remember he started the season fairly slowly, or at least was used quite sparingly. It was during the run in that his experience and influence really shone through. It started with that Everton goal and then he seemed to score in virtually every game after that, great free kicks at Bradford and Coventry.

Cheers Jersey!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »
*Sigh*

What a few weeks that was in 2001, culminating in the UEFA Cup win. Even now I feel sorry for Alaves ;D

We then went to Charlton the next weekend and qualified for the CL. I was at Uni at the time. I think I was essentially drunk for a week.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
We then went to Charlton the next weekend and qualified for the CL. I was at Uni at the time. I think I was essentially drunk for a week.

I was travelling for the run in - my last game was the League Cup final in Cardiff. Watached most of our games in Thailand and Australia (cup funal was amazing with a midnight kick off!). Flew to NZ the day before the UEFA Cup final and it wasn't on anywhere.

Brilliant memories though and when I think back to every game of the run in I can pinpoint where I was travelling, great reference point for me!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 05:12:10 pm »
I seem to remember he started the season fairly slowly, or at least was used quite sparingly. It was during the run in that his experience and influence really shone through. It started with that Everton goal and then he seemed to score in virtually every game after that, great free kicks at Bradford and Coventry.

Cheers Jersey!
Loved his celebration in the face of a young Puyol when he scored the winning penalty vs Barcelona.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 05:16:46 pm »
Loved his celebration in the face of a young Puyol when he scored the winning penalty vs Barcelona.

Haha I remember Heskey flattened him at some point and he was rolling around and I thought he looked awful. Turned out to be half decent I suppose!

One or two reasonable names in the Barca side that night:

Barcelona: Reina, Reiziger, de Boer, Puyol, Petit, Luis Enrique, Cocu, Guardiola, Overmars, Rivaldo, Kluivert. Subs: Dutruel, De la Pena, Xavi, Gabri, Dani, Simao, Zenden.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

I think that was the game with an outrageous overhead kick finish from Fowler?  Not the usual just concentrate on getting connection and power on the ball which is what often happens with overhead kicks.  But an almost lazy swing of the boot to almost float the ball into the top corner over the keeper's head from about 8 yards out.  Good times.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »
My first European Final. What a night! The whole trip was special. A hotel that was a different hotel, somewhere else. Alte Markt was quite good before the game. Hello Erik Meijer, I saw you drink your beer there. And after the game, that 1 hour train ride, going 100 km/h, but it took us 40 km. I had some trouble with my maths at that stage. Still do to be honest, but we found it. Great night. And I thought it would be the highlight of highlights. One thing was certain, it would take one hell of a game to just match that experience. Cup Finals are the best days of football. Dortmund 2001 was one of them.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »
One or two reasonable names in the Barca side that night:

Barcelona: Reina, Reiziger, de Boer, Puyol, Petit, Luis Enrique, Cocu, Guardiola, Overmars, Rivaldo, Kluivert. Subs: Dutruel, De la Pena, Xavi, Gabri, Dani, Simao, Zenden.

Team of managers!

de Boer - Ajax
Luis Enrique - Barcelona
Phillip Cocu - PSV
Guardiola - Bayern Munich
Patrick Kluiver - Curacao national team ( ;D)

Marc Overmars is Ajax's Director of Football, Gabri is assistant manager at Barcelona B and Zenden was Rafa's assistant at Chelsea (now assistant at Jong PSV).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:10:24 pm by JerseyKopite »

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »
First game of Liverpool I've ever seen, been a fan since that day.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:09:33 pm »
Now that was a 20-year old wonderkid!

Scoring in cup finals, rising to big occasions, able to finish with composure 'beyond his years'...

I hope one of our U21s can come close to his raw talent. Is he the most naturally gifted player the academy ever found?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
That game was the first time I'd ever had a beer. I was 15 and watched it in a pub! After two beers in three hours, I was adamant I'd never drink it again as it was disgusting....if only I had listened to myself :-)
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Now that was a 20-year old wonderkid!

Scoring in cup finals, rising to big occasions, able to finish with composure 'beyond his years'...

I hope one of our U21s can come close to his raw talent. Is he the most naturally gifted player the academy ever found?
Precisely mate.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
#stillhigh

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: #GERRARD8: 2005? We'd seen it all before... One night in Dortmund, 2001.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »
BUMP