Author Topic: #GERRARD8 - Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)  (Read 151586 times)

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
Re: Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:58 am »
So many great memories. Simply the best.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2015, 09:00:20 am »
He is simply the greatest Liverpool player of all time. 'Nuff said...

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2015, 09:03:12 am »
A club legend no doubt will be missed, much maligned by many on here this season but amazingly our top scorer. Been the main stay of the club for the best part of two decades one again will be missed. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:50 am »
It worries me that even with his legs slightly gone, he's still the only player that's looked like knowing where the goal is lately.
 :-\
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2015, 09:12:02 am »
I wonder how many he might have scored if we had played him as a striker this season.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2015, 09:21:49 am »
I don't think it will sink in properly until we start next season and he's not there anymore.

Can't really add anything to everything that's been said about him over the years. Just an inspirational player capable of changing games around like very few other players on the planet. I couldn't be more gutted for him the way it ended last season; if it was so hard for all of us to get over, you can't imagine how distraught he'd have been about it.

Our captain.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2015, 09:26:32 am »
Here's a question to ponder: which season did we see Gerrard at his best?

Was it one of the early years when he charged around the place like an all action hero?

Was it the early Rafa era when he bailed us out many times?

Was it 2005/06 when playing on the right he still scored close to 20 goals?

Was it the first couple of years playing with Torres?

Was it last season, orchestrating from deep?

Personally think he was at his most consistently effective in that Torres partnership. He turned from someone capable of scoring screamers to just a cold eyed finisher while still being a great creator.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2015, 09:34:24 am »
Gerrard in his physical prime was absolutely untouchable, a more complete footballer you couldn't wish to see.

Offline Gonebay

• Horny for Dudek
  • Kopite
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:11 am »
He is about all the good things about football and footballers. I don't see it in modern footballers. I will miss him  :'(

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:37 am »
I'll leave the more eloquent posters to write something special, but this is all I really want to say. When I was seven, we signed King Kenny. Over the next 10 or so years, I thought I had witnessed the greatest player ever to wear the red shirt. I never ever dreamt there would be anyone even close to him in my mind as Liverpool's greatest ever player. The fact that Steven Gerrard makes me constantly question my own opinion tells me how great he has been for us over his career. Sometimes 1st and sometimes 2nd, but never out the top 2. That ain't too shabby considering all the players I've seen down the years. He's an absolute legend of our club, and a real colossus of the game. Thank you for the best years of your life Mr Gerrard.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:39 am »
Here's a question to ponder: which season did we see Gerrard at his best?

Was it one of the early years when he charged around the place like an all action hero?

Was it the early Rafa era when he bailed us out many times?

Was it 2005/06 when playing on the right he still scored close to 20 goals?

Was it the first couple of years playing with Torres?

Was it last season, orchestrating from deep?

Personally think he was at his most consistently effective in that Torres partnership. He turned from someone capable of scoring screamers to just a cold eyed finisher while still being a great creator.
I think it's between 05/06 and 08/09. There's an argument for the end of 03/04 because of what he did to get us into the Champions League under Houllier, but for quality and goals it's either 05/06 or 08/09. The latter you obviously have his deadly partnership with Torres but then in 05/06, he was the explosive attacking player in our team - he had Torres to share that burden with in 08/09 so you could say 05/06 for that reason.

My default answer would probably be 08/09 but that's because I've watched many of the games back from that season online, whereas it's hard to find any from 05/06 and I don't have many memories of the overall performances from then really.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2015, 10:09:32 am »
Him leaving now feels like a double kick in the yarbles...as the club ebbs further and further away from everything that made it unique, one of it's proudest torch bearers hangs up his boots.....you know that phrase, we'll never see his like again?....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2015, 10:45:28 am »
What a player, without doubt will be a must pick in our best ever 11 when those polls come around again. Thanks Sir for the memories and hope the States treat you well. Come back for a wee kickaround anytime you feel like it as the door is always open.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2015, 10:49:09 am »
I just hope people realise what we have in this man and we hear a noise unlike any other on Saturday when he wears that red jersey for the last time at Anfield,

His importance to this club cannot be over-estimated and I honestly dread to think where we'd be without him,

The greatest player to play for the club by a mile in my lifetime and although we've known this day was coming for a while, it still doesn't seem real to me :'(

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2015, 11:06:10 am »
Once in a generation player.

We'll be lucky to see the likes again.

Offline Robbies Girl

• Main Stander
  • The club
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:36 am »
The best ever. Most professional footballer and leader ever. The perfect captain, we have been blessed, I am just gutted he is leaving always thought he would just retire with us. I have felt appalled by some comments by our support towards him this year. Even if his legs have gone he gives so much more to the team than anyone else, he is just captain fantastic always for me. When he got sent off at old Trafford this year a part of me didn't care because it reminded me of the young Stevie g who was doing tackles like that most games and was a great liability in that way. That desire combined with ability is what makes him so great. Throw in his love for LFC and you have the perfect player. Wouldn't you just love to see that from all 11 men each game? You will be lucky if you see it ever again at Anfield, Stevie is the best there will ever be for me. Hope he is back ASAP thanks for everything Stevie .

Offline Robbies Girl

• Main Stander
  • The club
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:55 am »
Him leaving now feels like a double kick in the yarbles...as the club ebbs further and further away from everything that made it unique, one of it's proudest torch bearers hangs up his boots.....you know that phrase, we'll never see his like again?....

Agree with this and no, we probably won't .

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2015, 11:25:36 am »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »
Has he actually signed a contract with LA Galaxy yet?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 12:16:46 pm »
Couldn't we loan him around the mls season?

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:45 pm »
Couldn't we loan him around the mls season?

The MLS runs from March through December. We could loan him for January / February, but unless we would be leading the league with 5+ points on Christmas Eve, Stevie wouldn't even consider it.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
One of my favourite players of all time, unplayable at his best.
And still special at his worst.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »
Goes out on a whimper of a season. There is no justice in football...for Liverpool anyway with all that's happened in the last couple of seasons and his whole career in regards to the premier league. You could not write the events that happened for our great legend to go more badly, all culminating in a fucking guard of honour for Chelsea, thank fuck he scored an equalizer at least.

Going to be a sad day only 2 games to go :(

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:44 pm »
the best player that ive ever seen in an LFC kit(including Dalglish,just)

i think he has made the right decision(not gonna be a popular opinion on here though),i think the fact that he has scored in the last 2 games is clouding peoples judgments on this slightlyhe has looked a shadow of his former self(which is clearly down to age),dont want him to stay and damage his reputation.

will never be replaced but lets hope that the Owners/Manager/club in general can manage to find the right players to take us to the next level.

good luck in LA Stevie.

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:12 pm »
So pleased he scored yesterday and glad he mentioned the ovation from the plastics was nothing special to him. Complete bunch of horrible clueless, classless twats. They could not wait to sing "The Song" to him immediately after.

Phenominal player, one of which i doubt i will see again at this club. IMO his best was 05-06 due to his tendancy to carry the team but with Torres he was unbelievable.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »
I was lucky enough to see some truly great players in the 80's but as an all round modern footballer they simply don`t come much better. A truly inspirational player, leader and captain of our great club. At his best he was simply untouchable. Good luck stevie in whatever you do and hopefully one day we will see you back as part of the family.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2015, 12:56:27 pm »
Goodbye sex, maybe?
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM</a>

Our Norwegian supporters are fucken ace.

Never fail to deliver.

Ta, lads.
Kill the humourless

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »
The inevitable is getting closer now  :-[ Will miss him so much. Best Liverpool player I've watched.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM</a>

:'(

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »
Eternal love and my CAPTAIN forever. Proud I have seen you lifting the champions league and so many trophies with our beloved team . You will never walk alone Stevie...and ps: we are waiting for you to come back...and I hope you will be our manager in the next years to come...

It is really very sad he will be leaving us...but that is his decision and we must respect it . I would have personally done everything to see you few  more years here at Liverpool.

One of us ,now and forever.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »
Eternal love and my CAPTAIN forever. Proud I have seen you lifting the champions league and so many trophies with our beloved team . You will never walk alone Stevie...and ps: we are waiting for you to come back...and I hope you will be our manager in the next years to come...

It is really very sad he will be leaving us...but that is his decision and we must respect it . I would have personally done everything to see you few  more years here at Liverpool.

One of us ,now and forever.
Don`t worry mate Joe Allen will be a worthy successor.

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:14 pm »
For me, Steven Gerrard is all I have known. I am 25 years old and I cannot remember Liverpool without Stevie.

To say he is a hero of mine is an understatement. When I use to play football every day at school, it was Stevie I wanted to be. When I started going to the games, it was always Stevie I would watch throughout.

I though it was tough when Carra retired and only then did I realise how tough it would be when this would happen.

Next season is just not something I can quite imagine just yet and I know that come Saturdays full time whistle at Anfield, knowing thats the last time I will see him play, is going to be something I am not quite prepared for.

Thank you Stevie.
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2015, 02:01:19 pm »
It had to happen sooner or later, but it had to happen eventually I am going to miss him. One of the  few world class players who resisted the lure of mega rich clubs.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »
One of the last great men in football.

Nobody can replace him.

A force of nature at his best, which is how we will remember him.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »
When he scored this one , I knew it was ours....   :)

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »

One of the finest . It's been a pleasure Stevie lad .
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2015, 02:20:10 pm »
My hero.
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline lapapa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2015, 02:20:45 pm »
This Saturday, Gerrard is going to walk out onto the Anfield pitch for the last time in his Liverpool career. That thought itself leaves me in tears. I guess it's finally sinking in. Would have loved to see him involved in some way or the other in Liverpool next season, even if it's not as a player. It's so strange to think that he won't be there at all next season. Gonna miss the man.

"Regrettably, time's come to send you on your way

We've seen it all, bonfires of trust, flash floods of pain
It doesn't really matter, don't you worry, it'll all work out
No, it doesn't even matter, don't you worry that ain't what it's all about

We hope you enjoyed your stay
It's good to have you with us, even if it's just for the day."

Love you Stevie.