Author Topic: #GERRARD8 - Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)  (Read 153890 times)

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Re: Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 11:51:40 pm »
A thread like this, for a player like this, on a fuckin website like this - is a fuckin disgrace.

Deletions hide the disgrace many of you are.

This site would be best served hiding its head in shame and let the passing of a legend, pass by without itself.

What you doing on this site then?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:29 am »
Hopefully he will return on loan next season when the MLS ends

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 12:51:28 am »
The greatest player I've seen in a red shirt personally. The most complete footballer in the world at one point, could play anwyhere on the pitch to distinction. Served the club with absolute dignity and gave it everything he had. Got too much undeserved shit from some corners. Certainly none of the stories I tell my kids and grand kids about him will have phrases like "didn't have much tactical discipline" in them. He can hang his red boots up knowing he did everything to achieve his dreams.

Will be sorely missed but hope he still has a large part to play in the club's future.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 12:59:35 am »
The greatest there is. The greatest there was. The greatest there ever will be.

Don't think we'll ever see another to 'mean' so much to the club as he has.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 01:05:00 am »
Our players stood  and did a guard of honour for the Chelsea players. Gerrard should get one as he walks on to anfield for the last time. To not do so would be fuckin diabolical.
Two players stand out for me in my lifetime. Zidane and Gerrard.  I feel absolutely privileged to have witnessed the boy turn into a man, turn into THE man, and I turn into a legend. I'm not embarrassed to admit a tear or two will appear seein him applaud the kop one last time.

YNWA lad.

You made me dream then you made me believe.

You lived our dreams.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 01:26:36 am »
I'd much prefer it if he didn't play the final game at Stoke.

I imagine Gerrard has pretty thick skin by now, but being booed and subjected to that chant by Stoke City fans is not the way his Liverpool career should end. It should end at Anfield, where our fans can give him the send off he deserves.

Cannot believe he won't be here soon.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 01:41:19 am »
One of those rarest of players. One who can not only win a game by ability but by sheer willpower. That to me is why Gerrard was so special, he could be surrounded by any degree of mediocrity and still go 'fuck this' and drag everyone up a level and change the game.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2015, 01:43:24 am »
RIP

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 01:46:53 am »
Legend...

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 01:51:20 am »
2 games. 2 headers. 2 goals. Gerrard should have been at end of corners (or free kicks) instead of taking them
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 02:02:13 am »

That to me is why Gerrard was so special, he could be surrounded by any degree of mediocrity and still go 'fuck this' and drag everyone up a level and change the game.
Not just mediocre, he has played in some horrible Liverpool teams.

One game in particular comes to mind. Napoli at home under Hodgson. Have we ever been weaker in the past twenty years than the first half of that season? Gerrard comes on, scores a hat-trick, wins the game.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 02:03:02 am »
Still feel we've not really registered the impact of this man leaving just well yet. Half the season we've spent moaning about him getting playing time here. He still scores and assists with amazing regularity.

I can't imagine the Liverpool red without Steven Gerrard walking out. I can't stomach Steven Gerrard walking out in a color that's not Liverpool red.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 02:26:09 am »
Can you imagine the weight on this man's shoulders? The sheer burden on this Atlas, lugging around the hopes and dreams of millions of Liverpool supporters worldwide for all this time? The critical mass of his own dreams and hopes of glory for his own club? It's not measurable. It's not comparable to things you and I have experienced or ever will. His rewards have been great - the luxury and comfort of a great life, the acclaim - but the weight on his shoulders? The screaming catcalls of his inferiors mocking his every mistake at every turn, thousands of horrible cretins giving him two fingers, emptying the reservoirs of their abuse in his face, plastics eponymously laminating signs to commemorate an error that had almost nothing to do with them. He's a human being and all these barbs left their marks, surely.

But he's so much more than a man, isn't he? He is an avatar of our potential greatness manifest. People will argue that he was born great, but this discounts the countless hours he spent breaking himself down and building himself up again, getting himself fit for club and country year after year after year. Never failing to answer the call when it rang out across the commons.

I am a soft c*nt, sitting here with wet eyes trying to find words worthy of a man who has meant so much to me. That goal against West Ham, the violence of that strike, a howitzer like I've never seen before, in a moment when mere mortals would have shit themselves to death. And coming hot on the heels of number 5 a year earlier. It felt like we had turned a corner and would never stop winning things again. It didn't work out that way.

BUT ...

You say the word "Istanbul" in this context enough times, it becomes nearly a cliche. Our enemies and naysayers far and wide remind us that it was 10 years ago and ask what we have done for them lately. We know better, don't we? Miracles never devolve into the mundane - they are, by their nature, eternal, immortal. We had no business winning that title. We could have folded at any point and no one would have blamed us. We were undermanned, overmatched, at just about every stage of that tournament.

But we had Steven Gerrard, and that made all the difference. That always made all the difference. He always made all the difference. His imperfections and mistakes kept him close to us, because he was and is one of us. He's only human.

But he's so much more than that.

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 02:37:16 am »
Imagine the start of next season without 8 GERRARD on the field.

Ever again.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:16 am »
Just imagine if you dare what the last 15 years would've been like if he wasn't around.

I m m e n s e
L e g e n d
D e f i n i t i o n   o f   d i f f e r e n c e
G l o r i o u s
R a n  o u t  o f  w o r d s  . . . 
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 02:52:04 am »
His post-match interview yesterday almost had me in tears. The man is irreplaceable and the epitome of our club.
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline KopSound

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2015, 02:55:45 am »
Can't believe that we're going to be without him soon. One of the clubs biggest legends, he will be sorely missed. We have to manage a win to send him off.
Liverpool FC - Sounders FC

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 02:58:43 am »
His post-match interview yesterday almost had me in tears. The man is irreplaceable and the epitome of our club.

I've wished there were more times he spoke from his heart rather than the media trained things all footballers say these days but was boss to see him in the interview yesterday
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 03:09:25 am »
A thread like this, for a player like this, on a fuckin website like this - is a fuckin disgrace.

Deletions hide the disgrace many of you are.

This site would be best served hiding its head in shame and let the passing of a legend, pass by without itself.

:lmao

Are you having a laugh?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 03:34:57 am »
I've wished there were more times he spoke from his heart rather than the media trained things all footballers say these days but was boss to see him in the interview yesterday

Would agree. The interview was absolutely boss, and one I'll personally never forgot. I'm so glad he stuck it up 'em.

As for the man himself. Probably the best player we'll ever see in our shirt. So many memories....

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2015, 03:54:21 am »

Agreed.

Its like he channels what every decent Liverpool fan is thinking, and has the balls to come out and say it, but still in a dignified way.

If it was any of us we'd just get all flustered and call chelsea fans c*nts. Stevie calls them c*nts but does it in a clever way so he doesnt get in trouble, but we all know he's calling them c*nts. And it feels good.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2015, 03:56:05 am »
There aren't many words that can describe what he's done for the club. Won't realize how good he was until next season.  :-[

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58:15 am »
Imagine the start of next season without 8 GERRARD on the field.

Ever again.
I don't think it'll really kick in until we have a bad run of games and he's not there the rescue us.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2015, 04:01:31 am »
The greatest player to ever come out of Liverpool.

As such, he never allowed himself to act the star.

Never the poser.

Supreme confidence without swagger.

A survival instinct so strong that he would trust no one else to do the job.

He was the Captain.  A quiet Captain.

A player uneasy with the role, but cognizant of its necessity.

Never gave less than his best.

We shall not see his like again.

Thanks for the thrills and the pride you gave us to wear our colours.

Kill the humourless

Offline CountfFolke

• Boys Pen
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:39 am »
I began supporting Liverpool in the mid 90s. I was around 15 years old at the time and I think it was the colours that first made me notice Liverpool, and then there was just something about them, and then there was Gerrard. Now I am versed in the Liverpool symbolism of Shankly, Rush, Dalglish, Paisley and all the others who have made Liverpool what it is today. But all of that came to me via books, articles, other people, and might have infiltrated my memories (I feel like I remember Dalglish the first time around, but I can't have seen him) - but I saw Gerrard from the beginning. He's been there throughout my time as a supporter.

Gerrard is the reason I love Liverpool today, he's the reason all the corporate and multinational buy-ins have not pushed me away. There was always Steven Gerrard and he was real, I had seen him. I have the worst memory so I'm not going to start googling things he's done and pasting them here as memories, but I just wanted to say these few words. Steven Gerrard is not only the anchor on the pitch, but the anchor to many fans out there that do not have direct links to the city - he's loyalty, playing style, leadership and so much more has solidified fans all over the world's love for the club.

and now let me try and use one of these emojis  :)

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2015, 04:21:24 am »
Mr Liverpool. He could have had 4-5 league trophies if he was a rent boy, but decided not to, and thanks to that he created the most beautiful story in history of football, the istanbul story...as a football fan first and foremost, i thank you for that

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2015, 04:40:38 am »
The greatest there is. The greatest there was. The greatest there ever will be.

All that needs to be said.... It's gonna be tough to not see him at Liverpool next season.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:43:58 am by Zoomers »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:28 am »
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                         But O heart! heart! heart!
                            O the bleeding drops of red,
                               Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

Offline ghost77uk

• Kopite
    • Steve Kingsman Photography
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2015, 05:14:15 am »
I wish I could be at Anfield next week to see him one final time in a red shirt...To say thank you for all the special memories and to say goodbye.
My wife and Canadian friends and family just won't understand when they see the tears rolling down my face next weekend whilst watching a game of 'soccer'!

Thanks Stevie!

Offline timbucktoo

• Dreams of a threesome with Oprah Winfrey or Whoopie Goldberg
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:56 am »

anyone got a link to his interview?

cheers

Offline ShayGuevara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2015, 05:54:12 am »
When I think of Gerrard I think of him in his younger years, box to box striking screamers we rarely see scored in the premier league anymore from silly distances. Remember him playing RB, RW, LW and finishing the game as our best player on the pitch even though he's clearly out of position. Remember him around 2005 as being possibly the best player in the world bar Ronaldinho.

Even in his last few seasons when many have argued and claimed he's finished or he's past his best, he's made the Euros team of the year with a shit Hodgson lead England side, was the start CM and helped lead us to a Premier League chase and even this season as poor as its been he's been our top scorer. We take him for granted sometimes and without him we would have had very little silverware to show for the last 15 years.

I'm glad he's stated until the end of his career (more or less), he's gave us everything he could offer the club. We realise it's time for the side to move on and build more world class players just like him for future success. Unlikely however we'll see another one like him for a long time. His leadership and loyalty are irreplaceable and I fear we'll struggle because of it in the near future.

Goodbye Stevie G, thanks for all the great memories. Its players like you and of course Carra that make me love the game and this club the way I do.
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Bill Shankly

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 06:24:12 am »
A true inspiration,professional and red through and through.Stevie g I will miss you,Please come back to LFC on day.YNWA

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:16 am »
Think it was Neil Atkinson who when discussing the idea of replacing Steven Gerrard replied and said that no one player should ever replace Steven Gerrard because no player should ever have to carry the weight that he has carried over his career. Thought that was spot on. He has only had brief moments where other players have properly helped him carry the load. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Carragher, Hyypia but in the end the weight has always ended up back on his shoulders alone, he's always been the last man standing. Doubt we'll ever have another player willing to tolerate carrying so much for so long again.

Offline SimplyRed91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2015, 06:28:44 am »
Not looking forward to his last game as Anfield, it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to our Captain.

Wish he could stay and play forever, but unfortunately age catches up with us all.

YNWA Stevie!

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2015, 06:34:44 am »
It's not age per se. Look at Christian Maggio, the guy's just a year younger than Gerrard, plays a physically demanding position in full back, yet is one of the quickest players in his league. Only a handful can match him in a sprint.

It's the circumstances of your career: the type of injuries suffered, adequate healing time?, quality of medical work, not least the attritional level of the league. Under different circumstances, we could still be seeing a near peak Gerrard.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2015, 07:30:25 am »
I remember seeing this on RAWK years ago, unfortunately the version on Youtube was recorded with a toaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZzTBX17mU
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2015, 07:45:55 am »
 Saturday.....................:'(
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2015, 08:34:42 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VOIYOqr3aLM</a>
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:00 am »
One of my favourite players of all time, unplayable at his best.