Author Topic: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures  (Read 683386 times)

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
Re:The history of Liverpool FC in pictures
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2003, 01:03:55 am »
Baros
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2003, 01:05:47 am »
The Michael & Milan show
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2003, 01:31:04 am »
1 Second Division title,
5 League Championships,
2 F.A. Cups,
2 U.E.F.A. Cups,
1 European Cup,
1974 Football Writer's Footballer of the Year.
856 first class matches for Liverpool, 69 goals,
87 matches for Swansea,
17 for Crewe,
4 England caps, 4 Under 23 honours.

A grand total of 968 games and 70 goals spread over three decades from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2003, 01:32:52 am »
Furthermore, it's a record Callaghan himself sees as one that will stand the test of time."I can't see it being broken", he says simply. "Players don't stay that long these days, it's different now with the transfer system we have. You can't see players getting in the team as a seventeen year old and staying there for eighteen years and not missing many games. The game has got quicker and players make contact at greater speed." Typical of the man, there is no arrogance or crowing in his assessment. Just plain logic. The different demands of today's game coupled with the more liberated 'hired gun' approach of it's stars make his record virtually untouchable.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2003, 01:34:36 am »
Ian Callaghan holds another sobering distinction too. He is the only Liverpool player whose career at Anfield spanned that of Bill Shankly. "I was only a kid when he came and I can't say I knew much about him. He made an immediate impression at the club though and the best advice he gave me was to say 'You get out of the game what you put in'. It worked for me." Simple counsel perhaps, but Callaghan's adherence to it was to bring him career long recognition as an industrious hard working midfielder. "Right from the start I liked the man, his honesty, his enthusiasm, and of course, things started to move at Liverpool."
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2003, 01:36:34 am »
Born and raised in Toxteth, Ian Callaghan could imagine himself becoming nothing other than a footballer. "Everton were the glamour club back then, they had a much better stadium and I had a chance to go to them, but I was a Liverpool supporter and signing for them appealed to me more. The fact that two of my heroes, Alan A'Court and the great Billy Liddell were here made it easy for me to sign." In a remarkable twist of fate, the seventeen year old Callaghan was destined to take the place of Liddell on the right wing. "Yeah, it's incredible to think that I replaced him. The club used to be called 'Liddellpool' in the 1950s, which shows you just how much he was respected. In my opinion Liddell, Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish were the three best Liverpool players ever, but I would put Billy ahead of the other two as the greatest."
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2003, 01:40:11 am »
'Ian Callaghan is everything good that a man can be. No praise is too high for him. Words cannot do justice to the amount he has contributed to the game. Ian Callaghan will go down as one of the game's truly great players.' - Bill Shankly
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2003, 01:56:51 am »
Ian Callaghan stands alone as Liverpool's greatest ever servant. His record 856 appearances is never likely to be challenged.

Justice for the 96.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2003, 10:16:58 am »
You Son, Could start a riot in a graveyard!

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2003, 10:21:43 am »

'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for,
and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
This leads to............
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2003, 01:50:37 pm »
.....This.YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2003, 03:07:14 pm »
Thanks, all, for posting the superb pictures.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2003, 10:16:53 pm »
The King................

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2003, 10:24:53 pm »
...and his castle.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2003, 10:29:55 pm »
King Kenny.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2003, 10:43:00 pm »
 ;D

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2003, 10:49:21 pm »
Remember him?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 10:49:39 pm by keithcun »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2003, 10:50:23 pm »
 ;D :D

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #219 on: July 13, 2003, 10:51:37 pm »
too close for comfort?

it wouldnt be the same otherwise would it.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2003, 10:51:45 pm »
Rushie.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2003, 10:57:27 pm »

Alf Arrowsmith.

DATE OF BIRTH 11/12/42  
GAMES 50 (4)  
GOALS 24  
HONOURS LGE CHAMPIONSHIP  63/64  
INT'NAL HONOURS  
OTHER CLUBS BURY, ROCHDALE  

Manchester-born Alf signed for Liverpool as a 17 year old in September 1960 but had to wait until 7th October 1961 for his debut at Middlesbrough, when he replaced the injured Ian St. John. That was the only League match the Scot missed in the 1961-62 season and it was also Alf's only first-team appearance that term. Only 3 matches followed for the big striker the following season and it wasn't until the second half of the 1963-64 season that he started to make a big impact, netting 15 times from 20 appearances after displacing Jimmy Melia in the side. Hunt, St. John & Arrowsmith contributed a massive 67 League goals that season as Liverpool powered to their first League championship for 17 years.  That was as good as it got for Alf, who only made a further 19 starts (plus 4 as substitute) over the next four seasons. He finally left Liverpool to join Bury in December 1968.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2003, 11:03:10 pm »

Alan A'Court : Left Winger (1953-64)  

Date of Birth: 30/09/34  
Debut: 7th February 1953 v Middloesbrough (A) Football League Division One: Won 3-2
1st team games: 382  
1st team goals: 63
Other clubs: Prescot Celtic, Prescot Cables, Tranmere Rovers, Norwich City  
International caps while at Liverpool: 5  
Honours with Liverpool: Second Division Championship 1961/62
Born: Rainhill  

The Rainhill-born left winger's career at Liverpool embraced the club's wilderness years in the old Second Division although it is great testimony to his talents that during that period he won five England caps, scoring on his debut in a 3-2 defeat by Northern Ireland at
Wembley in 1957.

A'Court a keen Rugby League follower, joined Liverpool from Prescot Cables in 1952 when Don Welsh was in charge at Anfield and then played right through the era of his managerial successor Phil Taylor before Bill Shankly's arrival in December 1959.

Prior to that the speedy raider appeared for England in the 1958 World Cup Finals in Sweden, where he rose to the daunting challenge of replacing injured Tom Finney in an unbeaten three-match sequence against Brazil, Austria and the Soviet Union.

At Liverpool he was an ever-present in the Shankly team that stormed back to the top flight as Second Division champions in 1962. He moved on to Tranmere for £4,500 in 1964, later becoming Norwich City player
coach before taking on various coaching jobs, including posts in Zambia and New Zealand.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2003, 11:03:36 pm »
Don't you think this looks better Matt. :o ;D

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2003, 11:05:32 pm »

D.O.B. 08/12/60  
GAMES 224 (36)  
GOALS 39  
CLUB HONOURS  EUROPEAN CUP  83/84
LGE CHAMPIONSHIP 81/82, 82/83, 83/84, 85/86, 87/88
FA CUP 85/86
LEAGUE CUP  82/83, 83/84  
INT;NAL HONS NONE  
OTHER CLUBS MIDDLESBOROUGH  

Born in South Africa but brought up in Australia, Craig was confident enough in his own ability to write to several English clubs as a 15 year old asking for a trial. Middlesbrough were the only ones that replied and so it was there that he established himself in English football, where his consistency and battling qualities soon brought him to the attention of bigger clubs. He signed for Liverpool in April 1981, still only 20 years old but with over 60 League appearance to his credit already.

When he watched his new club win the European Cup in Paris only weeks after his arrival at Anfield, he must have dreamed of being part of similar success. But the reality proved much tougher and it was only in the second half of the following season (1981-82) that he was given the opportunity to show what he could do. He quickly became a crowd favourite because supporters recognised that he would run until he dropped, but he could also be a frustrating player to watch although his ability, courage and strength were never in doubt.

His fortunes started to change on a freezing December night when Arsenal visited Anfield for a League Cup replay. After being substitute in 3 of the first 4 League matches, he had been largely overlooked since then. But his first goal for the club 5 minutes into extra-time helped see the Reds through to the quarter-final, although Craig failed to play any further part in the competition as his team went on to retain the trophy. But he was picked for the first League match after that Wembley success and played some part in all but one of the remaining League matches, contributing 6 goals as Liverpool regained the championship from Aston Villa.

The following season (1982-83) was Craig's most productive as a goalscorer - 10 from 41 starts. He played even more matches the next season but only managed 4 goals although he did get his hands on the European Cup as a player just 3 years after watching his new team-mates lift the trophy on that night in France so soon after he had arrived at the club. However, it seemed that he was not in favour with Joe Fagan, who had taken over from Bob Paisley, the man who had signed him from Middlesbrough. But when Joe stepped down after 2 seasons in charge, Craig was given fresh hope and encouragement from his former team-mate Kenny Dalglish, who now had the difficult task of leading the club forward after Heysel.  Craig played over 50 times in the 'Double' season of 1985-96 and was a key member of the team. The joy of scoring in an F.A. Cup Final was plain for all to see !  

After a promising start to the following season, the recurrence of a back injury kept him on the sidelines. But worse news was to come that Christmas. His sister was seriously ill in a Morocco hospital and he rushed immediately to be at her side. All this was kept from the Press at the time - and of course the supporters had no idea of the tragedy that was unfolding in his private life. His mind was obviously on other things and although he never gave up when he had a Liverpool shirt on, it was clear and natural that his family came first. Further injuries meant a reduced number of appearances in 1987-88 and he finally left England to return to Australia after making his final appearance in the best-forgotten Cup Final against Wimbledon. A year later, devastated by what had happened at Hillsborough, he not only raised thousands of pounds in his own country for the Fund which had been set up but also willingly flew half-way across the world to attend the memorial service at Anfield seven days after the disaster and stayed on to help counsel the bereaved families, a wonderful gesture which endeared him to Liverpool fans everywhere.

The title of his autobiography "Walk Alone" was apt because in many ways he was a refreshing change from the 'typical' professional footballer. And the fact this his book was dedicated "In Memory of the Victims of Heysel & Hillsborough" showed how much he cared about the community that had accepted him as one of their own and who will always have fond memories of a player who ran himself into the ground in the Liverpool cause.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2003, 11:07:24 pm »
How can someone so ugly be so gifted.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 13, 2003, 11:12:29 pm »

The man who sang THAT song.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 13, 2003, 11:14:48 pm »
Barney Rubble.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2003, 11:16:15 pm »

David Johnson: Striker (1976 - 1982)  

Date of Birth: 23/10/51  
Debut: 21st August 1976 v Norwich City (H) Football League Division One: Won 1-0
1st team games: 209  
1st team goals: 78  
Other clubs: Everton (twice), Ipswich Town, Barnsley (loan), Manchester City, Tulsa Roughnecks, Preston North End  
International caps while with Liverpool: 5 (England)  
Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1976/77, 1978/79 & 1979/80, European Cup 1981, Charity Shield 1979 & 1980, European Super Cup 1977  
Birth Place: Liverpool  

One of the small band of players to have played for both Liverpool and Everton the England centre forward blended power and precision, his fierce shooting complemented by some deft touches.
His aerial menace was massive and after scoring for Everton on his debuts in the Central League, Football League, FA Cup and European Cup he joined Ipswich in 1972 before Bob Paisley paid a then Liverpool record fee of £200,000 to bring him to Anfield for the launch of the 1976-77 campaign.

He won a title medal in his first season at the club and was a member of the 15 man squad that won the Championship again so brilliantly in 1978-79. Johnson scored 16 goals in 30 appearances as Liverpool set a new 68-point record under the former two-points-for-a-win system and a record low of only 16 goals conceded in their 42 matches.

Johnson, who shares with Peter Beardsley the distinction of scoring winning derby goals for both Merseyside clubs, collected four Championship medals and one European Cup winner's medal with Liverpool before re-joining Everton for £100,000 in 1982. He later played for Manchester City, Tulsa Roughnecks and Preston.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 11:17:03 pm by Mottman »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 13, 2003, 11:18:52 pm »
 ;D

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2003, 11:20:07 pm »

Gary Ablett began his career with Liverpool making his first-team debut in December 1986, and went on to become a key part of the Liverpool defence of the late 1980s and early 1990s.  He made the switch across Stanley Park to join Everton after winning two league titles and the FA Cup, and the highlight of his time at Goodison was lifting the FA Cup again in 1995.

The Liverpool-born defender also helped keep Everton in the Premiership in May 1994, when he played in the 3-2 victory against Wimbledon on the final day of the season.

Ablett then moved on to Birmingham City after a short loan spell at Sheffield United, and was an integral part of their defence alongside former Manchester United defender and current Blues chief Steve Bruce.

Ablett was released by then Birmingham boss Trevor Francis in 1999-2000 and signed for American A-League side Long Island Rough Riders in June 2000, after a short spell with Blackpool under former Anfield team-mate Steve McMahon.  In February of 2002, at the age of 36, Ablett was taken on trial by Division One strugglers Grimsby Town.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2003, 11:21:09 pm »
The Bootroom.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2003, 11:28:27 pm »
1984 Euro Cup Final.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2003, 11:28:56 pm »
Wobbly legs.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2003, 11:29:33 pm »
No one thought you would miss Barney.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2003, 11:31:37 pm »
Gary Gillespie.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2003, 11:32:10 pm »
The Anfield Iron.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2003, 11:33:39 pm »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2003, 11:35:07 pm »
Frightening. /\   :o

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2003, 11:36:17 pm »

Dean Saunders : Striker (1991-92).  

Date of Birth: 21-6-1964
Debut: 17th August 1991v Oldham Athletic (H) Football League Division One - won 2-1.  
1st team games: 61  
1st team goals: 25
Other clubs: Swansea City, Cardiff City (loan), Brighton, Oxford United, Derby County, Aston Villa, Benfica, Galatasary, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield United, Bradford City, Blackburn Rovers.
International caps while at Liverpool: Wales.  
Honours with Liverpool: FA Cup 1992.  
Born: Swansea.  

Welsh international striker Dean Saunders was brought to Liverpool for £2.9 million from Derby County by Graeme Souness just before the start of the 1991-92 season as a replacement for Peter Beardsley, and went on to become top scorer with 23 goals in 54 appearances as Liverpool won the FA Cup.
His Reds career didn't start too well when he failed to score in his opening three games. He missed a vital penalty in his second game at Maine Road when he hit the bar and Liverpool lost 2-1 to Manchester City and in his next game somehow missed an open goal from three yards out when he blazed over the bar during a 0-0 draw at Luton. His first Reds goal arrived at Anfield when he scored the only goal in front of the Kop during the 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers, then followed that up with a goal in the 3-1 Anfield derby victory over Everton.

Saunders also went into the Reds record books that season for his European scoring feat. In an Anfield Uefa Cup 1st Round, 1st leg tie with Finnish side Kuusysi Lahti, Saunders became the first Liverpool player to score four goals in a single Euopean match. The Reds won the tie 6-1, but the four goal personal tally was levelled by Saunders Welsh international teammate Ian Rush in the 1992-93 season. Rush scored four at Anfield in the Cup Winners Cup 6-1 victory over Apollon Limassol on September 16th, 1992. 'Deano' also broke Roger Hunt's record for the most European goals in one season, set back in the 1964-65 season. Saunders hat-trick in the 4-0 win over Austrian's Swarovski Tirol, at Anfield gave the Welshman nine European goals during the 1991-92 season - two more than Hunt's tally. Liverpool supporters will also fondly remember his display in the FA Cup final win over Sunderland. Although he didn't score, he was a constant menace to the Mackems defence in the second half and also hit the bar.

However the following season Souness decided Saunders wasn't needed and didn't feel he could play alongside Rush so he sold him to Aston Villa. He scored on his last Reds appearance, a 2-1 Anfield victory over Chelsea and as fate prevailed his home debut for Villa saw him score twice against Liverpool when he ran Torben Piechnik ragged! He also scored on his Anfield return for Villa that same season as his new side won 2-1!

Opinions are divided about Saunders time at Anfield. Some say he shouldn't have been sold and others to this day are still angry at the way Graeme Souness replaced their hero Peter Beardsley with Saunders, but to be fair to 'Deano' that was hardly his fault. He did give 100 per cent every game and he had a good rapport with the Kop, and he did get that European scoring record which is no mean feat to pass the legendary Roger Hunt's tally.

After spells with Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United Saunders rejoined Souness at Benfica and again at Galatasary before moving to Bradford on a free transfer at the start of the 1999-2000 season. He is now retired and a coach at Blackburn Rovers.