Author Topic: Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')  (Read 40933 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')
« Reply #801 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »
Fining cash rich clubs isn't a punishment.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')
« Reply #802 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
We are no where near top level/title contender.   We cannot control the tempo of a game nor the midfield since the time of Gerrard & Alonso.  Yesterday was a great match to watch but we play like Newcastle under Keegan.
City will get back there as soon they spend their billions this summer.  We'll under bid everyone in the summer.

Who does control games now though? I think with the pace and level of attacking play in these top games its hard/ impossible to do so. You look at Chelsea yet they have been done over a few times and not controlled, so have Spurs, in Europe its similar with noone really doing so at the level of ten years ago. I just think football has changed. It could be argued the most 'controlling' team in the league is United yet they are in 5th (6th at heart) and are shite.

We absolutely need to control the games more against the worse teams in the league and will need to probably bring a few different players in to help with that. But I do think we are much closer to consistenly challenging  than we have been team wise since 08/09- we are at the start of buiding a really good team and squad who can compete with anyone.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:22 pm »
Fining cash rich clubs isn't a punishment.

They need to start docking points. Not that I think anything the City players did yesterday warranted that happening though.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:27 pm »
I started this this morning, but life got in the way. My tuppence:

Genuinely feeling a bit sorry for those slagging off Lallana for that miss of his, with vague (or not so vague) insinuations that for the amount of money he's on, he should have buried it etc. Must be the first sporting occassion they've ever seen... not a bad opener then. Welcome.

Picking up on bits and bobs before the game... there was an air of 'win this, and we've bagged top four' in some quarters, and after the final whistle, there were claims that we've now buggered it. The truth lies somewhere in-between that yawning chasm.

Both sides have claims for this and that... some more pronounced than others, but both sides should be reasonably pleased with a point. Both sides will be reasonably miffed that there wasn't more. One of them then.

Another getting it in the neck last night seems to be Klavan... but I'm watching De Bryune in close up (telly) down the right hand side, without knowing exactly who he's got to aim for and where, but as soon as that cross comes out of his boot and at that pace... I'm thinking Aguero - goal. It was a cracking cross... low, hard and with bend - and there he is - a top goalscorer at the end of it. We could do with one.

I'd have taken a point before the game... but I wouldn't have taken it without having the chance to play it if you see what I mean. Hopefully they're tired and a little down we were thinking before the game - something we should look to exploit, but to their credit, they were neither tired nor deflated. We didn't look to exploit it either it could be argued.

It's almost a toss up as to who gets this bloody 4th place. We could get higher of course. We could miss out. The key games for me is the two away games v Stoke and West Brom. And they will only be key if we win our next two home games.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #805 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
Let's look at the reverse fixtures from earlier this season -

Everton - won 1-0.
Bournemouth - lost 4-3.
Stoke - won 4-1.
West Brom - won 2-1.
Crystal Palace - won 4-2.
Watford - won 6-1.
Southampton - drew 0-0.
West Ham - drew 2-2.
Middlesbrough - won 3-0.

I'll happy take those same results from those fixtures again  - that gives us 20 points to finish on 76 (2PPG).

Our tiredness towards the end of these games is a problem (it's been that way since Xmas), but most of it is due to the injuries that has affected most of the players at some point or another. Without being able to call upon the squad evened up the fact City had a midweek game (also we run a lot more than they do). Whereas they could bring on a replacement for Toure, we had nobody apart from Lucas who could come into midfield and only Origi to come on up front.

Whilst Origi was below-par, remember that he picked up a knock in training and he seemed to be playing right-back helping out Clyne near the end (probably was tactical) and he just didn't seem able to take the ball far up the pitch. Contrast how he was against Arsenal (far more lively) and you would assume he wasn't 100%.

Still a good point away from home. We are not yet at the kind of level that can win every one of these games (or close them out) and it really isn't a requirement (even for title-chasers). Top 4 will rely on results on the coming fixtures against teams inferior to us.

I just hope that all the intl players come back unscathed and the others get some rest ready for the derby.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #806 on: March 20, 2017, 09:09:15 pm »
I think we should given they are top of the league and the team we should be aspiring to topple.

The reason they are top of the league is because they defend well, they aren't naive, they punish teams.  All thinks we didn't demonstrate yesterday.

They're top of the league because of an extremely cautious defensive setup (which Conte reverted to in a panic after his team were outplayed by us and Arsenal) and Costa. Chelsea set up with a 5 man defence and 2 defensive midfielders protecting them. There's no comparison with the way we and City play. It's a difference of philosophy. Those two teams play a way that's designed to create lots of chances and score lots of goals and Chelsea sit deep with 7 men, soak up pressure and hit quickly on the counter. Fair enough, it's worked for them, but only because they have an ultra-clinical striker in Costa to stick the considerably fewer chances they create away. For all the blather about Kante, Costa is the difference maker for them this season. Hope he goes to China in the summer because they'll have a hell of a time replacing him.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:10:50 pm by Yevgeny »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #807 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »
...Genuinely feeling a bit sorry for those slagging off Lallana for that miss of his, with vague (or not so vague) insinuations that for the amount of money he's on, he should have buried it etc. Must be the first sporting occassion they've ever seen... not a bad opener then. Welcome....

...Another getting it in the neck last night seems to be Klavan... but I'm watching De Bryune in close up (telly) down the right hand side, without knowing exactly who he's got to aim for and where, but as soon as that cross comes out of his boot and at that pace... I'm thinking Aguero - goal. It was a cracking cross... low, hard and with bend - and there he is - a top goalscorer at the end of it. We could do with one.

I wonder if this is a football thing? When a batsman misses one in cricket do they say: "well he's paid to hit the ball..." or when a bowler doesn't get a wicket with every ball does he get pasted for it because getting wickets is what he's paid for?

Not every goal is an error with someone to blame and not every missed chance is sign of a fault with the player.

It's actually an odd thing to say that Aguero or Lallana 'should have put that away' when the reality is that no player scores with every shot unless they have one shot in their career and score from it. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #808 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »
They need to start docking points. Not that I think anything the City players did yesterday warranted that happening though.

Exactly this for me - fining a club with bottomless pockets is useless - I doubt it'll even be a concern to those in charge.  A chance to lose a precious point or 3 in the run up to the end of the season would have a very sobering impact on them or anyone else not sitting mid-table.

But I think the captain (maybe not the rest of them) has every right to speak to the ref so long as it doesn't turn into insults or yelling and none of what I saw warranted a charge of any kind.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #809 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »
A place in the Champions League.

Really? So its a 14 game season now? i must of missed that memo. Until we stop conceding stupid goals, start controlling midfield and games in general we'll always threaten to finish top 4 when in reality we're more a Europa league team.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #810 on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:08 pm »
They're top of the league because of an extremely cautious defensive setup (which Conte reverted to in a panic after his team were outplayed by us and Arsenal) and Costa. Chelsea set up with a 5 man defence and 2 defensive midfielders protecting them. There's no comparison with the way we and City play. It's a difference of philosophy. Those two teams play a way that's designed to create lots of chances and score lots of goals and Chelsea sit deep with 7 men, soak up pressure and hit quickly on the counter. Fair enough, it's worked for them, but only because they have an ultra-clinical striker in Costa to stick the considerably fewer chances they create away. For all the blather about Kante, Costa is the difference maker for them this season. Hope he goes to China in the summer because they'll have a hell of a time replacing him.
What a difference a top striker makes. Spot on post.
We have several quality players to be as effective as them on the counter, but that focal front man is missing. Divock could easily be as effective in 2/3 years time, but might not be ugly enough in a sense or two.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:01 pm »
Beating Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane - missed loads of chances to make it 2-0. Game ended 1-1.

Beating United 1-0 At Old Trafford - didn't make good decisions on the break. Game ended 1-1.

Beating City 1-0 At The Etihad - didn't make enough good decisions on the break - missed chances. Game ended 1-1.

Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

I'm not making any conclusion. But it's a pattern. They're decent points. But could so easily have been 3 wins.

Beating Arsenal 4-3 at the Emirates. Seen the game out and won 3 points.

Beating Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge. Seen the game out and won 3 points.

Is this a coincidence, or is there more to it?

I reckon there's more to it. ie. Teams can come from behind and prevent defeats. Who knew?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:38 pm »
I wonder if this is a football thing? When a batsman misses one in cricket do they say: "well he's paid to hit the ball..." or when a bowler doesn't get a wicket with every ball does he get pasted for it because getting wickets is what he's paid for?

That's one for a wicket keeper when he spills a dolly ;)

I dunno - just don't understand the anger angle. Irratation, hair pulling, frustration, AAAARGH! Yes. Anger? As in he's a professional footballer on £x?! Get to fuck. Embarrassing to read that - especially so considering the shift he puts in - and the quality he brings. He wouldn't have slept that well last night either. Even apologised. Should think so too the useless bastard.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #813 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:35 pm »
Really? So its a 14 game season now? i must of missed that memo. Until we stop conceding stupid goals, start controlling midfield and games in general we'll always threaten to finish top 4 when in reality we're more a Europa league team.

What about at least waiting until the end of the season before slagging the team off? It is the manager's first full season, and yet he has already improved us hands down. We all know where we have to improve, but you can't do it in just one season. Everything is to play for in the battle for the CL places, and we have as much chance as anyone else at the moment.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #814 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »
Beating Arsenal 4-3 at the Emirates. Seen the game out and won 3 points.

Beating Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge. Seen the game out and won 3 points.

Is this a coincidence, or is there more to it?

I reckon there's more to it. ie. Teams can come from behind and prevent defeats. Who knew?

I think it runs deeper. We lack players with killer instinct in the final 3rd. I'd have a No.9 top of the shopping list in the summer closely followed by the goalkeeper. We're not good enough in both boxes. We're as good as anyone in Europe in the middle 3rd of the pitch, but seriously lacking at both ends, for me anyway. Who gives a shit.

If we have any ambition of winning the league or doing well in the Champions League over the next few season, in big games away from home 1-0 needs to go 2-0, especially when you've got a leaky defence.

Top teams can see a game out and win 1-0. Who knew? I guess Jurgen needs to add this to the "to do list" in the summer.

This ins't a critiscm of the performance yesterday, a point was fair & we played well.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: March 20, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »
If we have any ambition of winning the league or doing well in the Champions League over the next few season, in big games away from home 1-0 needs to go 2-0, especially when you've got a leaky defence.

Top teams can see a game out and win 1-0. Who knew? I guess Jurgen needs to add this to the "to do list" in the summer.

This ins't a critiscm of the performance yesterday, a point was fair & we played well.
You're talking absolute shit. We're top of the mini league for the top teams pretty comfortably, seen out plenty of games against them. Turned 1-0s in to 2-0s against them, seen out games. It's the least of our problems.

Chelsea couldn't hold on to a 1-0 away to us, lost 3-0 away to Arsenal and 2-0 away to Spurs.  Who knew that big away games are tough to win even for the best?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: March 20, 2017, 11:05:38 pm »
Should think so too the useless bastard.

*This is a public service announcement*

One or two more like Lallana please this summer. I'll be OK with just the one then please Mister  :wave

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #817 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:26 pm »
You're talking absolute shit. We're top of the mini league for the top teams pretty comfortably, seen out plenty of games against them. Turned 1-0s in to 2-0s against them, seen out games. It's the least of our problems.

Chelsea couldn't hold on to a 1-0 away to us, lost 3-0 away to Arsenal and 2-0 away to Spurs.  Who knew that big away games are tough to win even for the best?

I'm not saying neccesarily that we need to make games 2-0/3-0, I'm saying should we be looking to just see a game out? My orignal post said, I'm not making any conclusions based on yesterday, I'm asking as a team moving forward we need to look at how best to turn 1-0 into a victory. Is that by shutting up shop or being more clinical? It's a strange one because I don't think we're a clinical team, but we're the top scorers in the league. I'm saying we need a number 9 as a priority and yet we score fucking loads.

When I look back on this season (I know there are a lot of games left to play) I'll cast my mind back to Bournemouth, Sunderland, Spurs, United, City, and West Ham. Games we were leading and for one reason or another didn't win. I've seen so many different groups of teams under so many managers and this team has things none of the others do. Under Benitez if we went ahead I'd be certain of a win, but then again a Benitez side didn't attack like this one.

It's what you want I guess. Can we have an attack like this with a defence or is that impossible? Is that the trade off?

And you're right, I could be talking utter fucking shit. It's very very possible.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:15:23 pm by Kop307 »
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »
When you saw City's team sheet didn't you have a bit of trepidation? Haven't you watched them carve teams open for years? Didn't you conclude they have some brilliant players that will trouble most defences?
So why can't you be pleased with Liverpool's endeavours and a solid point?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #819 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:19 pm »
I'm not saying neccesarily that we need to make games 2-0/3-0, I'm saying should we be looking to just see a game out? My orignal post said, I'm not making any conclusions based on yesterday, I'm asking as a team moving forward we need to look at how best to turn 1-0 into a victory. Is that by shutting up shop or being more clinical? It's a strange one because I don't think we're a clinical team, but we're the top scorers in the league. I'm saying we need a number 9 as a priority and yet we score fucking loads.

When I look back on this season (I know there are a lot of games left to play) I'll cast my mind back to Bournemouth, Sunderland, Spurs, United, City, and West Ham. Games we were leading and for one reason or another didn't win. I've seen so many different groups of teams under so many managers and this team has things none of the others do. Under Benitez if we went ahead I'd be certain of a win, but then again a Benitez side didn't attack like this one.

It's what you want I guess. Can we have an attack like this with a defence or is that impossible? Is that the trade off?

And you're right, I could be talking utter fucking shit. It's very very possible.

Mate its all in stages though.  ;D  He has to get in the right players first, we have to realize this is not the final team yet. It is just the beginning of the development, but that is what I find so exciting. You think about how far we have come, in such a short time with Klopp. In the summer we will add a bit of quality hopefully, and also the manager himself will have learnt more about the Premiership. We sometimes forget that even a manager like Klopp has to learn lessons.

I really hope we keep the attacking intent, but I would imagine he will be after some pacey defenders,  which would certainly stop us from being caught out in the way we sometimes are, when go too far up field. I imagine he will still experiment with tactics for certain games, we won dirty against Burnley. I am sure that lesson will be learnt for other games too.

But what excites me most of all is playing Champion League football under this manager. His way of playing will be a great asset in Europe, and I cannot wait for that to happen. But let's qualify first, once this wretched international break is over. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #820 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:27 pm »
Who does control games now though? I think with the pace and level of attacking play in these top games its hard/ impossible to do so. You look at Chelsea yet they have been done over a few times and not controlled, so have Spurs, in Europe its similar with noone really doing so at the level of ten years ago. I just think football has changed. It could be argued the most 'controlling' team in the league is United yet they are in 5th (6th at heart) and are shite.

We absolutely need to control the games more against the worse teams in the league and will need to probably bring a few different players in to help with that. But I do think we are much closer to consistenly challenging  than we have been team wise since 08/09- we are at the start of buiding a really good team and squad who can compete with anyone.

I'm not sure it's so much about controlling games in a typical, old-fashioned way but I do think there is an issue with our game management. We play with a certain style and with a particular tenacity and because of that it isn't always easy to look at the bigger picture of what is happening the game in terms of momentum and figuring out where the game is heading.

For example, after we went 1-0 up we had City on the ropes. They thought the penalty was contentious, they were starting to tire in the first half before half time and the goal zapped them that bit further (perhaps mentally more than anything). The crowd was feeling hard done by, the players too, their legs were heavy and we had the bit between our teeth. Or, so it seemed. Yaya Toure couldn't fucking run, and I mean literally couldn't run. They were all over the place but we didn't go for the jugular, we seemed to revert back into our shell. We allowed City to regroup, make the change and get their second wind. Their equalizer was inevitable after that.

We react to the situation of the game too slowly. Had we got the second yesterday when our tails were up we would have been good for another couple on the break. The pace of the game was outrageous, and it's not as if I'm expecting one our players to sit in the middle of the centre circle, get his glasses on, scan the pitch and say 'Ah, THIS is what we need to do'. But I think Klopp can improve with his in-game management and in relation to how the game is unfolding in front of him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: March 20, 2017, 11:58:54 pm »
City aside from us are the best attacking side in the league in terms of creating chances and causing havoc in the penalty box. Their finishing has been poor all year, but they create chances, and they have done so in every match they've played in, even the ones they've lost. The fact that we stood toe to toe with them, and could have won [and lost] says something about what we can achieve. We've lost one big game in the league since Klopp's arrival.

We're doing the difficult things first whilst struggling with the easiest part [beating the lower sides], but if you can't be pleased after that performance and all the results we've achieved against the top sides, you never will. Now if we don't achieve what we set out to this year, it means very little but right now, it's the reason why we have a chance to finish from 2nd to 4th.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:13 am »

For example, after we went 1-0 up we had City on the ropes. They thought the penalty was contentious, they were starting to tire in the first half before half time and the goal zapped them that bit further (perhaps mentally more than anything). The crowd was feeling hard done by, the players too, their legs were heavy and we had the bit between our teeth. Or, so it seemed. Yaya Toure couldn't fucking run, and I mean literally couldn't run. They were all over the place but we didn't go for the jugular, we seemed to revert back into our shell. We allowed City to regroup, make the change and get their second wind. Their equalizer was inevitable after that.

Not so sure about this. I think we did go for it. We played them off the park for a while. The change that Pep made was what made the difference, added to Aguero getting stuck in and a few little things going their way, like a goal ! I watched it with a Utd supporting mate who reckoned we were gonna do them 2/3 after we scored, we could have but I think they have too many individually good players and Pep moved Fernandinho into the middle which changed the flow of the game. We tried,it didn't come off. You are right about them being on the ropes for a while though. Pity.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #823 on: March 21, 2017, 12:13:28 am »
Not so sure about this. I think we did go for it. We played them off the park for a while. The change that Pep made was what made the difference, added to Aguero getting stuck in and a few little things going their way, like a goal ! I watched it with a Utd supporting mate who reckoned we were gonna do them 2/3 after we scored, we could have but I think they have too many individually good players and Pep moved Fernandinho into the middle which changed the flow of the game. We tried,it didn't come off. You are right about them being on the ropes for a while though. Pity.

Can and I think Gini both recognized it and ghosted past Toure but the killer instinct just wasn't there from us. We should have really cranked the pressure up for the second goal but I personally thought we were a bit too passive. I'll have to watch it back again but I do remember screaming at them to go for it because City were disjointed and all over the place.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: March 21, 2017, 01:27:15 am »
Such a great game, a real quality Premier league game, fast, open and contested fiercely from the first whistle.

Hoofed forward from kick off and so it began, 90 plus minutes of fast, hectic play, intermittent with great pressing and playing out of the press by both teams. Both used the space presented to them well, City spreading the pitch and creating some good positions to enter the final third, with us dropping in to find the ball in our usual more central areas and hitting the channels early, usually to Mane who I thought was excellent all game.

One area that I hardly ever hear anyone ever praise him for is his ability back to goal. Long balls up to him either stick or create problems with the second ball, the latter I don't think is a coincidence, he contests most long channel balls with good positioning and uses his strength as much a possible whether the pass is aerial or into space to run onto. Thought he ran Clichy ragged, he didn't know where he was half the time, his runs and anticipation to get in behind are top class and if he keeps improving his finishing nothing to stop him hitting 20 next year, with a bit of luck he might even get there this season. Pretty sure he's improved his goals tally from last season already, and bet the assists are similar or better already too. Was good to see him go central when Origi came on, possibly for a tactical reason, to isolate the City LB again with Origi fresh (although we struggled to get him into the game), if anything, I would have liked to have seen a more pronounced switch with Firmino going wide and Mane going in a little earlier when they both had a little more left in the tank give Stones and Clichy something different to worry about.

That said, thought we were great going forward, especially in the final third, created some really dangerous positions, and thought we were good value for a couple of penalties easily. Attacked an utterly exposed Yaya well, couple occasions Can and Mane literally just accelerated past him. I'm all for attacking midfields, but leaving Yaya sitting is asking for trouble with Silva and De Bruyne ahead of him, always a weakness to attack in a crucial area of the pitch.

Still think we need to find that balance with our own midfield, not in terms of the personnel, but in keeping a clearer shape in certain instances, few times City played out of the press and would have expected us to have been deeper and closer as a three, they created good areas from some of those exchanges and I generally thought we defended them well. Still think we can improve our pressing to edge it more towards anticipation rather than reactionary. The work rate is definitely there but what we do at the end of the sprint is just as crucial. If your mind is quick enough you wouldn't have to sprint in some cases.

Maldini managed 180 minutes over two legs vs United a few years ago without making a tackle. Even Ferguson praised him.

It's a toughie though as I do like Gini in his more advanced base position, but always feel more relaxed when being attacked when he is sat a little deeper and closer to either Hendo or Can, as we've seen on a few occasions this season. That said I thought all 3 of the midfield 3 played well, individually they all showcased some great first touches, all had a run with the ball, and was impressed by how many times we almost forced the ball forward.

Decision making. We have improved massively this season. Offensively anyway. No surprise we have scored the most goals and got the greatest spread of goals around the team in the league, our decision making in the final third is why. Massive credit to Klopp, the frequency of times I've said "should have shot/passed" seems to dwindle when we are playing well and on it. Sometimes it's the simple ball, sometimes it requires great accuracy, but we are finding them with a good enough frequency, especially in open games like this one.

Thought the defence played well, and yet we let one in and could have conceded 3 on another day. Couple of instances we could have been closer to winger earlier, esp De Bruyne in the second half when he went out there but actually thought we dealt with the ball in well on a few occasions, just let them get too many opportunities to put it in that really did for us in the end.

Not much to say on Mig, but have a look back at his first few games for us, the difference is crazy. He couldn't distribute the ball, and struggled with crosses (he never came for them). At least now he attacks both to the point he's not causing us too many issues, odd mistake aside but all keepers make em.

Great game, good performance, one I bet everyone involved went away happy, Pep certainly seemed it, I'd say that was his first Prem game where he really felt the pull of the English game and it's frantic, organised craziness.

Offline lewisfvv

• Kemlynite
« Reply #825 on: March 21, 2017, 02:46:06 am »
Looking back now a draw was fair, was in the away end and wondering how on earth did some chinese people with half half scarfs and not sing a word get tickets!
Happy with the draw today, to be fair coulldve been a lot better or worse. Game reminded me a lot of the United away performance in many ways.

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #826 on: March 21, 2017, 03:47:38 am »
Wonder what's Lallana's like in an orgy?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:05 am »

So you're moving from big away games to just games in general that we didn't win.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #828 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:12 am »
Read somewhere that we have the best 'come from behind to win a game' stat in the league.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:32 am »
Wonder what's Lallana's like in an orgy?

You mean he'd just keep going?

Or He'd miss the target when it's easier to score?

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #830 on: March 21, 2017, 07:44:34 am »
 We were poor?  :o
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #831 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:44 am »
More enjoyable to watch back without the nerves.

It was a great battle from two attacking sides who try to play football the right way. Could easily have been a high scoring draw or narrow 3-2 or 2-3 win or something like that.

It was Klopp hugs all round in the tunnel pre-match, De Bruyne seems to be quite friendly with our boss (hope that bodes well for the future!)

You could see we basically played Mane as the focal point second half and tried to isolate him v Otamendi. We were just unlucky in so far as we didn't get the chance to release him 1 v 1
they managed to get the numbers back to stifle us at times.

Also thought Caballero had an excellent game for them bar one or two poor kick outs. Both keepers did well in fact in fairness to Simon.

That Fernandinho can be a snide fucker though, he's really clever with his tactical fouling, something we should really try to adapt a little more when under the cosh or where there's a danger of an overlap.

Still a bit gutted we didn't steal it, even if Lallana connects with that ball there's a chance big Willy (:P) gets himself in the way. Would have gone fucking mental had we scored then as we'd been on top.

Our record against our Top 4 rivals is exceptional.

By the way Jimmy Milner is fucking brilliant from the spot isn't he.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #832 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:22 am »
The city game will always be remembered for the game when Emre Can emerged as a survivor for next season. what a fight the lad showed!

immensely happy with our 2 cm's fighting it out . More power to Gini/Can!

Lallana had a good game overall and its just a miss, it happens with the best of them, like Aguero.

A point earned that is - we Go again! with the Derby!  :wave
---Aesthetic is everything------

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #833 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:07 pm »
what do we win for being the best in the top 7 mini league?

A fingering in a Sayers doorway.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #834 on: March 21, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
The city game will always be remembered for the game when Emre Can emerged as a survivor for next season. what a fight the lad showed!

immensely happy with our 2 cm's fighting it out . More power to Gini/Can!

Lallana had a good game overall and its just a miss, it happens with the best of them, like Aguero.

A point earned that is - we Go again! with the Derby!  :wave
Question is now, who do you drop when Henderson is back?

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #835 on: March 21, 2017, 05:31:53 pm »
Read somewhere that we have the best 'come from behind to win a game' stat in the league.

Yup and yet there's endless bullshit posts on here about mentality and lack of leadership every time we lose a game

Offline daj79

• Main Stander
« Reply #836 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:59 pm »

Drop Coutinho and put Gini in his place.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #837 on: March 22, 2017, 06:29:50 am »
No one.
Seen us win everything

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #838 on: March 22, 2017, 08:24:07 am »

Can. Our best midfield is still Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana.
Love Ren & Stimpy