Author Topic: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy  (Read 37881 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2017, 02:58:46 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2017, 02:59:23 pm »
It's a smart and logical move really. Logical because of size, facilities required, retaining the best talent, nurturing new ones all in one place.

Smart because if they sell Melwood, which does have a lot of sentimental value for fans around that area then I'm sure some business will pay a good amount. £50M for such a facility is not too bad. Smart again, because FSG know it will be far easier to sponsor this facility. ManU have theirs sponsored to the tune of £160M (by AON). Get back in the CL a few times, and suddenly we could have paid off this investment almost immediately with major profit to burn. Start re-negotiating or tendering the training tops sponsorship too.

Interestingly Spurs have actually spent a bit less than we will, and their's is superb. You can see all the training sites on this link. Melwood looks poor in comparison.

http://www.footballtraininggrounds.com/liverpool.html

Wow, did you guys have a look at those grounds? Melwood certainly isn't the worst, but Tottenham, Chelsea, ManCity, Southampton and Sunderland (!!!) have absolute top class training grounds... How on earth can Sunderland be that shite? :o
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 04:11:04 pm »
Wow, did you guys have a look at those grounds? Melwood certainly isn't the worst, but Tottenham, Chelsea, ManCity, Southampton and Sunderland (!!!) have absolute top class training grounds... How on earth can Sunderland be that shite? :o
a class training ground doesnt make class players in sunderlands case. Can look all shiny but you cant shine up a turd and make it a diamond
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »
Sunderland is a decent academy, thats about it

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2017, 05:05:11 pm »
Fantastic and makes so much sense. A Footbonaut better be part of the deal as well.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »
It's great news and I'm not putting a downer on it whatsoever. But why invest in this and not ARE genuine question? Because actually FSG would make themselves more money of they did the latter

It gives them a few years breathing space for any questions regarding ARE while Spurs, Chelsea and maybe Everton are building state-of-the-art new stadiums.

Training facilities is another area we've been left behind, so this is us playing catch up again when you look at facilities like City, Chelsea, Spurs etc.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2017, 05:47:19 pm »
Who said we're not having a sponsor on that?

You do know our commercial side was a shambles before these guy's came in right?

A sponsor could be announced at some time in the future I agree. I just thought that the publicity at the start of this season for the new main stand  would have been the most lucrative time to get a sponsor on board.

Yes, I am aware of this. Broadly speaking I have no issues with FSG, I just think that if £50M is going to be spent I would prefer to go on the ARE.
RAI TV Commentator May 2005 - "If Milan score in the first 20 minutes they will win!"  Yeah Right!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
Yes, I am aware of this. Broadly speaking I have no issues with FSG, I just think that if £50M is going to be spent I would prefer to go on the ARE.

Why are you thinking it's one or the other? It could be both.

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
It obviously makes sense to get the first team squad and academy players together in one complex but I wonder if the benefits will be as big as some people think. The coaches will still be the same, does moving to one complex suddenly mean the youngsters will become better players?

It is something that Klopp himself has always wanted and it will ultilmately benefit the whole of the club and make the transition from U23 to 1st team smoother, we have already seen that Klopp is willing to promote from within (even if his hands were tied due to 1st team injuries etc)

I can't see how it isn't going to benefit the youngsters by seeing their senior players on a daily basis, by being able to move up to 1st training as and when needed, a decision could even be made on the day that a player has performed well enough that he can attend a one off session or week with the 1st team. Klopp and his staff are also on hand to see all aspects of the training and liaise with coaches at all levels.

Attracting new players will also be a bonus, to visit the new facility and see that they are with (if not training with) the 1st team and Klopp would be impressive to any potential youth signing, their families, agents etc

I realise I might be in the minority on this but I would prefer to spend the money on the ARE. 6,000 extra fans getting the chance to see the team every game, target locals and Under 25's which would improve the atmosphere significantly and could push us onto turning that draw into a late win. That might be crucial in winning cups, Top 4 or even the difference between winning or coming 2nd/3rd in the league.

As far as I am aware no decision has been made on the ARE and it is a seperate issue to the move to Kirby. According to FFP the sale of Melwood can be used as revenue and will probably go towards the cost of development of the Kirkby site (along with a sponsorship package) We should wait for an annoucement on the ARE and just enjoy the fact that FSG are doing something that our manager wants, bodes well for the transfer window.

But if we really need to compare them, maybe Klopp thinks the new Kirkby site is more important than 6,000 23 year old scouser at Anfield?

As far as sponsorship goes I hope the whole academy/ training gear gets a massive deal, however if we are so good at securing this sort of thing then how come the new Main Stand doesn't have a high profile sponsor?

The new stand isn't complete yet, maybe they are waiting for it to be fully complete so potential sponsors can see what they are getting for their money? I would also think that it is harder to 'sell' a stand than a whole ground and as I have said before on other threads I think it is the kind of deal that you have to get right in the long term as it is harder to then re-sell it once it has already had a name to it. I am reasonably confident (which on here is way more confident than the norm) that a deal will be made before the start of the next season.

I did some bolding, get me.

Good post mate. I am old school and firmly believe the board should back the manager, particularly when he is Jurgen Klopp! If that is what he wants, then fine no problem. Ideally I want that ARE extended to increase the capacity, improve the atmosphere, make it easier to get tickets etc.

Hopefully the sponsorship deals come in and we can do both!!!
RAI TV Commentator May 2005 - "If Milan score in the first 20 minutes they will win!"  Yeah Right!

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:52 pm »
Why are you thinking it's one or the other? It could be both.

Lets hope so.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
It obviously makes sense to get the first team squad and academy players together in one complex but I wonder if the benefits will be as big as some people think. The coaches will still be the same, does moving to one complex suddenly mean the youngsters will become better players?

I saw the John Terry/Steven Gerrard interview on BT sports the other day. Terry said that after training he'd go over to watch the seniors and study the likes of Desailly and Le Boeuf. If anyone got injured he'd get called over to join in.

That kind of thing can't happen with our youngsters.

Seeing your idols training hard everyday, or the manager dropping by while your playing. Even something seemingly as trivial as a senior player recognising you and remembering your name, which could help with any future integration into the first team. It's difficult to put a price on this.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2017, 06:23:45 pm »
I reckon they will try and replicate the grass at Anfield whereever possible (that hybid stuff with the artificial bits?) and probably some 3G indoor pitches.

What? No 4G? I'd expect WiFi as standard if I'm honest, 50m should get you that.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
It gives them a few years breathing space for any questions regarding ARE while Spurs, Chelsea and maybe Everton are building state-of-the-art new stadiums.

Training facilities is another area we've been left behind, so this is us playing catch up again when you look at facilities like City, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

Playing catch up to City and Chelsea - are you serious? City's cost over £200m and is the size of an American Unversity campus - there's probably not a football facility like it anywhere in the world - only Real's comes close. Chelsea also have billions to spend, and who cares what spurs and everton have?

This is great news and if you can only see negatives then you need to fill that half empty glass occassionally.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 06:57:50 pm »
Playing catch up to City and Chelsea - are you serious? City's cost over £200m and is the size of an American Unversity campus - there's probably not a football facility like it anywhere in the world - only Real's comes close. Chelsea also have billions to spend, and who cares what spurs and everton have?

This is great news and if you can only see negatives then you need to fill that half empty glass occassionally.

Surely the minimum we should be doing is matching them. Spurs have powered ahead of us in terms of their training facilities and now the stadium that's being built. We're only playing catch up to the rest of the top 6 with this while staying behind on the stadium front as this will be a convenient excuse not to go ahead with the ARE.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:59:23 pm by Bitter Mug »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline daj79

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
FSG investing in the club? Get them out!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2017, 07:01:36 pm »
Surely the minimum we should be doing is matching them. Spurs have powered ahead of us in terms of their training facilities and now the stadium that's being built. We're only playing catch up to the rest of the top 6 with this while staying behind on the stadium front

So we should spend £750m to keep up with Spurs even though we'll end up with the same at the end of the day?

And how do we match Everton's make believe new stadium exactly?

with this as a convenient excuse not to go ahead with the ARE.

You know you've made this up in your mind, don't you?

Why would they spend £50m on a training facility, which bring in little to no money, instead of a stand which will bring in cash and a lot more goodwill with fans? I'd say it's bizarre logic, but there is no logic being used at all.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »
FSG investing in the club? Get them out!

Bah they're planning to sell Melwood. Sell to invest as usual. Doesn't matter what order it happens.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2017, 07:04:40 pm »

The United one is right next door to a sewage works  ;D

At City's campus the players have their own rooms, based on luxury hotel rooms, so that they can stay there on the night before match days. When their CL game this season against Gladbach was postponed for a day, the Germans stayed there. Hopefully we will include the same thing at Kirkby.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »
The United one is right next door to a sewage works  ;D

At City's campus the players have their own rooms, based on luxury hotel rooms, so that they can stay there on the night before match days. When their CL game this season against Gladbach was postponed for a day, the Germans stayed there. Hopefully we will include the same thing at Kirkby.

Is there much point? The away teams comfort? Not really something I'd be hoping for.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
Is there much point? The away teams comfort? Not really something I'd be hoping for.

They get put in the special rooms - rock hard bed bug infested mattresses, buzzing lights, dodgy plumbing, etc. Quite a good plan actually.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2017, 07:20:44 pm »
They get put in the special rooms - rock hard bed bug infested mattresses, buzzing lights, dodgy plumbing, etc. Quite a good plan actually.

I thought that was West Ham's idea?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2017, 07:21:09 pm »
At City's campus the players have their own rooms, based on luxury hotel rooms, so that they can stay there on the night before match days.
Which is partly why it cost over £200m - do we really need luxury hotel rooms?

When their CL game this season against Gladbach was postponed for a day, the Germans stayed there. Hopefully we will include the same thing at Kirkby.
If any of our future CL games are postponed, I wouldn't want our opponents shacking up at our place. They can fuck off and stay in a Travelodge  ;D.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »

They're not usually used by the away team, that was a one off. They are used by the City players every match day. The benefits are they get privacy, there are no guests wandering about who aren't part of the club as you get in a hotel, theirs no pissed up fuckers making noise, or the noise of people checking in/out, their rooms are specially tailored to ensure they allow the players to get the best sleep, they can keep personal stuff in the rooms. etc.

If you put the same thing at Kirkby, the players can do the usual training, get changed, have their meals and then use the facilities and go to their own room when ready, in peace and then up and onto the coach for the drive down the Lancs to the ground. Far better than staying in whatever hotel they use at present.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »
I could definitely see the benefits of it, as would allow for use of all the facilities which are there rather than making do with a local hotel.

Do the squad currently stay together the night before home games?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2017, 07:37:00 pm »
I could definitely see the benefits of it, as would allow for use of all the facilities which are there rather than making do with a local hotel.

Do the squad currently stay together the night before home games?

Quick google brings up the Hope Street hotel mentioned in the papers are where they stay before games. I think they go in the morning of a night match, not sure about 3pm and earlier kick offs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:41:23 pm by rob1966 »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:13 pm »
Quick google brings up the Hope Street hotel mentioned in the papers are where they stay before games.

I've seen them meeting up there after training and they put up new signings there.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »
They're not usually used by the away team, that was a one off. They are used by the City players every match day. The benefits are they get privacy, there are no guests wandering about who aren't part of the club as you get in a hotel, theirs no pissed up fuckers making noise, or the noise of people checking in/out, their rooms are specially tailored to ensure they allow the players to get the best sleep, they can keep personal stuff in the rooms. etc.

If you put the same thing at Kirkby, the players can do the usual training, get changed, have their meals and then use the facilities and go to their own room when ready, in peace and then up and onto the coach for the drive down the Lancs to the ground. Far better than staying in whatever hotel they use at present.

Fair enough rather than use the hotel.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »

Sounds like Goodison.

Offline Skagen

• Hard for Hodgson
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
This should have been done ages ago.
“A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are.”

Offline Greg86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Self Amortizing
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:26 pm »
Great to see this happening, I know it's been on the cards for a while.

That said, how are people seriously complaining about this?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 08:24:17 pm »

You are obviously new here! ;)

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2017, 08:48:58 pm »

Some will say anything to try to turn a positive to a negative.  Don't know how they get through the day!  Strange.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »
It'll probably work out less than 50. If we get it sponsored and sell melwood then long term its a brilliant investment.

Say for argument too a player like sterling comes through and we get 50m then it pays for itself.

Pleased with this news. Very pleased
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Doubt there will be any money coming in from naming rights.
There could a lot of money for the club in this- and not just in naming rights but general advertising. Melwood is mentioned a lot in articles or on telly, we get pictured in training many times a week, many people and groups visit these- from coaches to journos to touring groups to business people and more.

There is a LOTS of exposure to the right people and more importantly- people who are going to be or are already most likely more successful than what you're going to find at say... Brighton.

What advertisers want is exposure and visibility as well as prestige and they will pay top dollar for that.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2017, 08:59:37 pm »
I reckon they will try and replicate the grass at Anfield whereever possible (that hybid stuff with the artificial bits?) and probably some 3G indoor pitches.

They'll have a variety of different options. Arsenal have Desso pitches, 4G pitches and normal grass pitches at London Colney and I'm sure we have the same at Melwood with the exception of the 4G pitches.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:19 pm »
I've spotted Bitter Mug today.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2017, 09:36:57 pm »

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
I've spotted Bitter Mug today.

Is this real?!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
It's going around twitter/ facebook since last night. ;D