Author Topic: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy  (Read 37903 times)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 12:25:22 am »
Not being local, I wasn't aware that Melwood do not house the academy because I got the impression that it is quite a huge plot of land.

I agree that it just doesn't make sense to run 2 sites. I suspect the additional cost may be due to the club commitments to redevelop the surrounding areas of Kirkby.

I wish that Melwood and its surroundings do not turn into ruins after Liverpool leave the place.

Melwood in comparison to Kirkby is tiny. There's a picture that show how massive Kirkby will be with the new plot of land.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 02:43:30 am »
Not being local, I wasn't aware that Melwood do not house the academy because I got the impression that it is quite a huge plot of land.

I agree that it just doesn't make sense to run 2 sites. I suspect the additional cost may be due to the club commitments to redevelop the surrounding areas of Kirkby.

I wish that Melwood and its surroundings do not turn into ruins after Liverpool leave the place.

A decent article with video and pics of Melwood (giving an impression of the size) can be found here mate - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-kirkby-melwood-move-12636031

Jonathan Pearce in the above article alluded to the land possibly being sold off for housing - though hope the club and council could possibly come to some sort of arrangement for the grounds to be used by local club(s) or for the community as a whole - quality footy pitches with facilities for at a decent level are scarce in and around Liverpool (and most places these days).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:51:16 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 02:49:16 am »
Very good decision, should bring the club together and help progression from youths to the first team. Small price to pay at £50 mill if it brings through the stars of the future, especially compared to something like signing a Balotelli for two seasons costing you around £25 million.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 03:46:14 am »
Hopefully a really strong signal that there is a concerted effort to really develop our own players.

We've undoubtedly got the manager to do so so I'm delighted the owners think so too.

Online Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 07:31:58 am »
Is there a way they can reduce the effect of the wind at Kirkby?

From the highlights from the youth matches it always looks pretty windy up there, probably not the best conditions to be training in everyday.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 08:16:00 am »
I am fairly sure I read some time back that concern about the effect of the wind was an issue being taken int consideration. Hopefully the fact they are proceeding means they have a solution?
Maybe a high wall so they stop the wind and the team leaks LOL.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 08:21:07 am »
Is there a way they can reduce the effect of the wind at Kirkby?

From the highlights from the youth matches it always looks pretty windy up there, probably not the best conditions to be training in everyday.

James Pearce said they've done a study into it and they believe they've solved it. Planting trees etc.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 08:41:18 am »
Are they going to build a mini-stadium with a stand etc? I know Rafa wanted that.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Reu3403

• Boys Pen
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:44 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/254702-consultation-begins-on-redevelopment-of-lfc-s-academy-site
Liverpool FC and Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council (KMBC) have announced joint plans for a proposed redevelopment of the Reds’ Academy site in Kirkby, including improvements for local residents and the community playing fields at Simonswood Lane.

A public consultation is being held next month for local residents and businesses to discuss the proposed plans in more detail.

LFC’s vision is to bring its first team and Academy football training operations and facilities together on one site. The £50m proposal includes the construction of a new combined training centre, the redevelopment of the existing facilities at the Academy and designs to convert the main pitch into an indoor pitch.

As part of the proposed masterplan, KMBC is leading on proposals to provide new and improved football pitches and sports facilities to the area, working closely with local football teams, including Kirkby AFC. The much-needed upgrade to the pitches will be able to support the highest level of amateur football matches with new changing facilities and car park.

The surrounding area will also see improvements which include new dog-walking and cycling paths, new lighting and improved security with a CCTV system. To enable the proposals to go ahead, LFC will need to purchase additional land immediately adjacent to the Academy site and close part of Moss Lane between Simonswood Lane and Arbour Lane.

The public consultation will be held on Wednesday March 8 at Northwood Community Centre (Gilescroft Avenue, Northwood, Kirkby, L33 9TW) from 2pm GMT until 8pm and will be open to local residents and the wider community. Residents will have the opportunity to view the proposed plans, speak with members of the project team and leave their feedback.

As part of the wider plans, LFC is also proposing a redevelopment of the club’s existing first-team training ground at Melwood. This proposed development could provide around 160 family homes in West Derby and newsletters have been posted to local residents to seek their feedback on the proposals.

Andy Hughes, chief operating officer at Liverpool FC, said: “Our proposed plans to bring the first team and young players together in one location is a really exciting proposition. The scheme includes state-of-the-art facilities which will be used to support the development of our players and provides all-weather training options.

“We are also working closely with Knowsley Council on plans to make substantial improvements for the local community. These include new and improved football pitches and sports facilities to support grass roots and amateur football teams, and developments to the surrounding areas for local residents.

“We recognise that Melwood has played a significant role in the club’s success and forms an important part of our history. However, the Melwood site is limited in space and is unable to accommodate our longer-term ambitions, which is why we are exploring options on the Academy site.

“We are encouraging our neighbours and local residents in Kirkby to attend to the public consultation to see the proposals first hand.”

Knowsley Council’s cabinet member for regeneration and economic development, Cllr Graham Morgan, added: “We have been working closely with Liverpool Football Club and the local community to develop these plans for the site on Simonswood Lane in Kirkby.

“As well as developing the LFC Academy site, the plans include proposals to provide new and improved football pitches and sports facilities for local teams and the community.

“I would encourage local residents and businesses to come along to the public consultation event to find out more and give their opinions. That feedback will then be used as part of the planning process in due course.”

Mike Pugh, secretary of Kirkby AFC, said: “Kirkby AFC supports and welcomes the proposals for the enhanced sports facilities at Simonswood Lane.”

Representatives from Liverpool FC and KMBC as well as experts in planning, construction and transport, will be available at the public consultation to answer questions.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:13 am »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:39 am »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 10:16:29 am »
KSS designed our main stand and also spurs and brighton's training grounds

http://www.kssgroup.com/projects/tottenham-hotspur-fc-training-centre/
http://www.kssgroup.com/projects/bhafc-ntg/

Brighton's training ground is incredible too, the facilities they've got there are fantastic.

Sad to see us leave Melwood but think this is necessary, although it's a shame to see Melwood being turned into houses.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:51 am »
I live local to Melwood so a bit sad to see it go - still get a buzz of seeing the players drive past ours. Which is ridiculous at my age.
It makes sense to have it all together though and the current Academy is decnt enough - to find the same space elsewhere in the city would be hard work.

Bit of a pain in the arse having another 160 houses built though from a local resident view especially if something goes ahead on the old alder hey site altho think plans to build 400 have been withdrawn. Chocker enough round there.

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 10:32:44 am »
Are they going to build a mini-stadium with a stand etc? I know Rafa wanted that.
Would make sense but not read anything as of yet to suggest so? Something along the lines of what City have would be ideal to save the club using grounds such as Prenton Park for Under 23 matches.
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 10:35:47 am »
Would make sense but not read anything as of yet to suggest so? Something along the lines of what City have would be ideal to save the club using grounds such as Prenton Park for Under 23 matches.

Personally I think it's no bad thing for our U23s to visit lower league grounds, sample the changing room, pitches etc so it won't be such a culture shock when they get their chances in the early rounds of cup competitions. They are pampered a bit, aren't they?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:33 am »
A decent article with video and pics of Melwood (giving an impression of the size) can be found here mate - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-kirkby-melwood-move-12636031

Jonathan Pearce in the above article alluded to the land possibly being sold off for housing - though hope the club and council could possibly come to some sort of arrangement for the grounds to be used by local club(s) or for the community as a whole - quality footy pitches with facilities for at a decent level are scarce in and around Liverpool (and most places these days).

Agree with this

The academy is huge as it is, well to my eyes. Never seen as many footie pitches in one place. To develop all the land further down youll need a golf buggy to get to the changing rooms. 

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2017, 11:08:26 am »
I did notice the old Sonae site potentially something that could be expanded into in the future. Although you are going into the middle of an industrial\business park but that site could be used for a mini stadium

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2017, 11:18:13 am »
It's a smart and logical move really. Logical because of size, facilities required, retaining the best talent, nurturing new ones all in one place.

Smart because if they sell Melwood, which does have a lot of sentimental value for fans around that area then I'm sure some business will pay a good amount. £50M for such a facility is not too bad. Smart again, because FSG know it will be far easier to sponsor this facility. ManU have theirs sponsored to the tune of £160M (by AON). Get back in the CL a few times, and suddenly we could have paid off this investment almost immediately with major profit to burn. Start re-negotiating or tendering the training tops sponsorship too.

Interestingly Spurs have actually spent a bit less than we will, and their's is superb. You can see all the training sites on this link. Melwood looks poor in comparison.

http://www.footballtraininggrounds.com/liverpool.html

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 11:26:03 am »
hope they bring back the stock car racing...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2017, 11:46:37 am »
Bit worrying this. What's it going to mean for Everton's stadium ambitions?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »

Interestingly Spurs have actually spent a bit less than we will, and their's is superb. You can see all the training sites on this link. Melwood looks poor in comparison.

Yeah but they don't get Tabasco. Our boys do, and it feckin shows.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »
Christ. I would be knackered just thinking about walking from one end to the other of that picture.

Long overdue and will pay for itself through naming rights and, fingers crossed, an increase in the number and quality of players coming through the system.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »
Doubt there will be any money coming in from naming rights.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »

Why not?

Look at what Man Utd have. I don't see why there cant be some link to naming rights and training kit.

There are plenty of games played at the training facility and if they also build a small stadium for U23 games too it could be included.

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »

Pretty sure there will be. Why wouldn`t they ? If offered a load of dosh to name it and that makes it more or less self funding then it seems a no brainer to me.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2017, 01:18:37 pm »
I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't attempt to get a naming rights deal for it, probably alongside the training kit.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »

Based on...

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2017, 01:44:17 pm »
It obviously makes sense to get the first team squad and academy players together in one complex but I wonder if the benefits will be as big as some people think. The coaches will still be the same, does moving to one complex suddenly mean the youngsters will become better players?

I realise I might be in the minority on this but I would prefer to spend the money on the ARE. 6,000 extra fans getting the chance to see the team every game, target locals and Under 25's which would improve the atmosphere significantly and could push us onto turning that draw into a late win. That might be crucial in winning cups, Top 4 or even the difference between winning or coming 2nd/3rd in the league.

As far as sponsorship goes I hope the whole academy/ training gear gets a massive deal, however if we are so good at securing this sort of thing then how come the new Main Stand doesn't have a high profile sponsor?
RAI TV Commentator May 2005 - "If Milan score in the first 20 minutes they will win!"  Yeah Right!

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »
Based on...

The naming rights for the new main stand.
RAI TV Commentator May 2005 - "If Milan score in the first 20 minutes they will win!"  Yeah Right!

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »
We obviously could do but other than Utd I don't think anyone else have one do they? Similar to naming rights for stands no big clubs tend to do it for whatever reason (hopefully we are still in the process of getting one) Training kit will obviously have one, Bet Victor continuing or another when that deal ends.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:59 pm »
The naming rights for the new main stand.

Who said we're not having a sponsor on that?

You do know our commercial side was a shambles before these guy's came in right?

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:44 pm »
It obviously makes sense to get the first team squad and academy players together in one complex but I wonder if the benefits will be as big as some people think. The coaches will still be the same, does moving to one complex suddenly mean the youngsters will become better players?

It is something that Klopp himself has always wanted and it will ultilmately benefit the whole of the club and make the transition from U23 to 1st team smoother, we have already seen that Klopp is willing to promote from within (even if his hands were tied due to 1st team injuries etc)

I can't see how it isn't going to benefit the youngsters by seeing their senior players on a daily basis, by being able to move up to 1st training as and when needed, a decision could even be made on the day that a player has performed well enough that he can attend a one off session or week with the 1st team. Klopp and his staff are also on hand to see all aspects of the training and liaise with coaches at all levels.

Attracting new players will also be a bonus, to visit the new facility and see that they are with (if not training with) the 1st team and Klopp would be impressive to any potential youth signing, their families, agents etc

I realise I might be in the minority on this but I would prefer to spend the money on the ARE. 6,000 extra fans getting the chance to see the team every game, target locals and Under 25's which would improve the atmosphere significantly and could push us onto turning that draw into a late win. That might be crucial in winning cups, Top 4 or even the difference between winning or coming 2nd/3rd in the league.

As far as I am aware no decision has been made on the ARE and it is a seperate issue to the move to Kirby. According to FFP the sale of Melwood can be used as revenue and will probably go towards the cost of development of the Kirkby site (along with a sponsorship package) We should wait for an annoucement on the ARE and just enjoy the fact that FSG are doing something that our manager wants, bodes well for the transfer window.

But if we really need to compare them, maybe Klopp thinks the new Kirkby site is more important than 6,000 23 year old scouser at Anfield?

As far as sponsorship goes I hope the whole academy/ training gear gets a massive deal, however if we are so good at securing this sort of thing then how come the new Main Stand doesn't have a high profile sponsor?

The new stand isn't complete yet, maybe they are waiting for it to be fully complete so potential sponsors can see what they are getting for their money? I would also think that it is harder to 'sell' a stand than a whole ground and as I have said before on other threads I think it is the kind of deal that you have to get right in the long term as it is harder to then re-sell it once it has already had a name to it. I am reasonably confident (which on here is way more confident than the norm) that a deal will be made before the start of the next season.

I did some bolding, get me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:08:50 pm by ollick »

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2017, 02:29:56 pm »
Could the naming rights be fully packaged up- so training ground, main stand and training kit sponsors together?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »
Could the naming rights be fully packaged up- so training ground, main stand and training kit sponsors together?

I doubt you'd see the Main included in the deal. Def the training kit and ground though.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »

I've been to the new La Masia in Barcelona where the Barcelona youth and 1st teams train and this absolutely dwarfs the size of their training ground.  Looks to be 2-3 times bigger at least. 

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2017, 02:41:21 pm »
I've been to the new La Masia in Barcelona where the Barcelona youth and 1st teams train and this absolutely dwarfs the size of their training ground.  Looks to be 2-3 times bigger at least. 

Parts of that ground will be taken up by quite large buildings I would have thought too, but it is certainly going to be impressive 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2017, 02:43:46 pm »
Parts of that ground will be taken up by quite large buildings I would have thought too, but it is certainly going to be impressive

True. 

Does anyone know what the pitches are at the training ground?  All of the training pitches in Barcelona are artificial turf with the exception of the pitch that the U19's play their matches on which is grass.  No idea about the 1st team training pitch as it's walled off and we weren't able to see it but I'm assuming it's grass. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »

Looks like it will be approx double the size.

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2017, 02:56:12 pm »
True. 

Does anyone know what the pitches are at the training ground?  All of the training pitches in Barcelona are artificial turf with the exception of the pitch that the U19's play their matches on which is grass.  No idea about the 1st team training pitch as it's walled off and we weren't able to see it but I'm assuming it's grass. 

I reckon they will try and replicate the grass at Anfield whereever possible (that hybid stuff with the artificial bits?) and probably some 3G indoor pitches.