Author Topic: Rogue One - 2 Siths, 1 Saber  (Read 30038 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rogue One spoiler friendly discussion
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2016, 12:36:01 am »
The Big Bang Theory thing is because the robot is basically Sheldon Cooper from that show. If you've seen it you'll get it. If you haven't, it's shit don't watch it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2016, 01:19:24 am »
The second half, essentially when Vader showed up was excellent.

One thing being complimented in here that I'm surprised about is Tarkin. I found him completely distracting and I don't think that sfx will age well. Cartoon Leia was even worse.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2016, 06:39:04 am »
Meh ... pretty much a cliched ridden affair, far too much needless 'pewww pewwwww' action instead of any sort of proper story line.

Although in saying that, the final scene involving Vader was bloody brilliant and worth the admission alone.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2016, 07:18:31 am »
I really enjoyed it thought it was better than The Force Awakens.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2016, 10:17:17 am »
My favourite ever scene from the Star Wars films was when Luke 'loses' it when Vader mentions his sister.

I think the Vader scene in the airlock beats it.

You can feel the hate.

A scene I'd been waiting all my life to see really.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2016, 10:26:15 am »
And don't forget Lord Vader killed them all except Leia's ship

I think it was GMT said leave the fleet to Lord Vader and he destroyed them all. Except for one
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:33 am »
I really enjoyed it....very gritty, not the usual Star Wars affair

I loved the Vader scene in the end!

The detail in which everything had the look of the old environments, from ships to the interiors, clothing etc.

Saw no trailers or read nothing about this beforehand so was genuinely shocked to discover Tarkin was CGI...I dunno maybe im a bit simple but looked real enough to me!

I liked the battle at the end.....finally getting to see the old ships in a proper star fight and for it to not all be nonsensical but there to have a genuine build up to everything that happened, leading to the final scenes where it tied in brilliantly to a new hope.

Maybe it dragged a bit in the middle and I don't think I cared THAT much about the main character and the emotional side of her story....but that's my only small gripe.

Don't think the film ruins the series in any way, instead it brings in something a little different but still high quality

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »
And don't forget Lord Vader killed them all except Leia's ship

I think it was GMT said leave the fleet to Lord Vader and he destroyed them all. Except for one

I don't think he does, the capital ships definitely survive.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 12:45:29 pm »
I don't think he does, the capital ships definitely survive.

Well they didn't get the download of the plans. That was the whole idea.

Only one ship survived
Obi-Wan:

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2016, 12:48:26 pm »

Vader stole the show. Though his 'choke' gag was not with in character and I actually thighs James Earl Jones voice over was off somehow.

The scene where he killed the Rebels was awesome.

agreed, i think he was talking too much and paced too fast. he was doing james earl jones, not darth vader (i thought)

agree about the ending scene. one of the all too few subversive elements to rogue one. i liked that he was disarming rebels and then just toying with them, slicing them apart, unleashing on them. and he didn't say "noooooooo", which helped

for the sake of continuity tough, i would have preferred him being much slower, less athletic and more nonchalant

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:48 pm »
Oh and by the way.

for the people who didn't like it because it didn't meet your expectations.

You're in The Doctor Who syndrome.

You're expecting something that your brain can't comprehend.

Fortunately for me, my brain is capable of switching off and allowing pictures and sound to give me pleasure.
Obi-Wan:

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:27 pm »
Jeddah was absolutely beautiful.  Amazingly realized, it looked very real.  A million miles from the places in the lone wars..

the meeting place at the start, when the pilot is greeted by forrest whittaker's crew - was there a 'jedi knight' shaped rock face?!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2016, 12:57:39 pm »

One thing being complimented in here that I'm surprised about is Tarkin. I found him completely distracting and I don't think that sfx will age well. Cartoon Leia was even worse.

same here mate. honestly could barely concentrate on his clunky 'conflict' dialogue in his first scene - really took away from it. Leia was indeeed worse, but minimal at least

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2016, 12:57:51 pm »
Well they didn't get the download of the plans. That was the whole idea.

Only one ship survived
Gold and red leader were in episode 4 so they made it out as well. Guess everyone not in episode 4 died!

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »
a lot of the rebel ships will have got away, or there'd have been hardly anyone left to take part in the attack on the death star. they were calling a retreat at the end as it was.

seeing that one transport (fuck knows why a transport was there admittedly) crashing into the star destroyer when it appeared was quite funny too.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2016, 01:03:22 pm »
Oh and by the way.

for the people who didn't like it because it didn't meet your expectations.

You're in The Doctor Who syndrome.

You're expecting something that your brain can't comprehend.

Fortunately for me, my brain is capable of switching off and allowing pictures and sound to give me pleasure.

to be fair mate, that's a load of shite. at least for me.

a few tweaks and this could have been a very good film. i just feel it reeked a bit of committee decision making, and wasn't subversive enough. they had a real opportunity to go dark and challenge some of the original series' established traits.

aside from vader entertaining himself with his massacre (which was a bit of a silly way for the plans to get away) and the captain shooting the british spy with the bad arm, all the darkness was simply alluded to 'we've done some terrible things'. feels a wasted opportunity

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2016, 01:14:43 pm »

a few tweaks and this could have been a very good film. i just feel it reeked a bit of committee decision making, and wasn't subversive enough. they had a real opportunity to go dark and challenge some of the original series' established traits.

aside from vader entertaining himself with his massacre (which was a bit of a silly way for the plans to get away) and the captain shooting the british spy with the bad arm, all the darkness was simply alluded to 'we've done some terrible things'. feels a wasted opportunity

I wish you well in your life but I'm happy with the way my brain relates to films
Obi-Wan:

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »
I wish you well in your life but I'm happy with the way my brain relates to films

haha that's awfully defensive of you, after you'd just generalised about other people's brains

wish you well too

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2016, 01:19:57 pm »
The fact is only one ship got the plans.

All the other ships either bolted before they got the plans who where distroyed.

I thought they all got destroyed but whatever.
Obi-Wan:

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2016, 01:22:46 pm »

I'm not sure what you expected from a Disney-made 12-rated film, it's not going to be a cross between Schindler's List and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2016, 01:27:00 pm »
I'm not sure what you expected from a Disney-made 12-rated film, it's not going to be a cross between Schindler's List and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

yeah no shit, hence why i said it was a wasted opportunity.

still, for a 12 they clearly included a few darker moments and the stuff i'm alluding to wanting in the film wouldn't have changed the certificate. its more along the lines of the history of the rebels. something that makes it less empire=all bad, rebels=all good.

the best they could come up with was a group of scruffy looking lads who decided to be led into battle by a woman they'd never met or fought with before. and the captain only said "we've done some bad things". doesn't really make for a 'grittier film', which this was marketed (by disney) to be

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »
The fact is only one ship got the plans.

All the other ships either bolted before they got the plans who where distroyed.

I thought they all got destroyed but whatever.

I think a few did jump away before Vader's destroyer showed up and blocked the path, but it wasn't totally clear.

the meeting place at the start, when the pilot is greeted by forrest whittaker's crew - was there a 'jedi knight' shaped rock face?!

Yeah the crystals used by the Jedi in their lightsabers came from that place, Chirrut and Baze were originally part of a group who protected the crystals. There was likely a Jedi temple there too.

yeah no shit, hence why i said it was a wasted opportunity.

still, for a 12 they clearly included a few darker moments and the stuff i'm alluding to wanting in the film wouldn't have changed the certificate. its more along the lines of the history of the rebels. something that makes it less empire=all bad, rebels=all good.

the best they could come up with was a group of scruffy looking lads who decided to be led into battle by a woman they'd never met or fought with before. and the captain only said "we've done some bad things". doesn't really make for a 'grittier film', which this was marketed (by disney) to be

There was already a lot of jumping around at the start of the film, adding even more in to show some more of the rebels doing bad things would've made it worse. I feel like they showed enough anyway, Cassian killed an ally who was risking his life to get info for him, he accepted a mission to assassinate a possible friendly in Galen and lied to his allies about it, he shot a rebel fighter to save Jyn on Jedha and his leader bombed the platform that Jyn and her father were both on, killing the latter.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:35:07 pm by Schmidt »

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2016, 02:35:49 pm »
agreed, i think he was talking too much and paced too fast. he was doing james earl jones, not darth vader (i thought)

I thought Vader didn't sound right, to the extent that I wondered if it was someone other than JEJ doing the voice. Thing is, though, the guy's 85 now, so it's inevitable it's going to sound different.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:39:07 pm by WTF? »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
Would have made more sense showing r2 and c3po next to leia at the end rather than at the rebel base. They somehow get from the base to the admiral akbars dads ship that leia is on. Seemed a bit muddled that bit

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2016, 04:19:17 pm »
Would have made more sense showing r2 and c3po next to leia at the end rather than at the rebel base. They somehow get from the base to the admiral akbars dads ship that leia is on. Seemed a bit muddled that bit

they left with everyone else.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2016, 04:24:46 pm »
Yes but the ship they were on wasnt from yavin 4 was it? That was only the x and y wings. The rebels all split after that meeting so probably went back to their own planets. They were on the mon calamari ship which wasnt from yavin 4

Will have a mooch next time i watch it

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2016, 04:25:35 pm »
Amazing!

Saw it over the weekend, that last 15 minutes or so, the way it tied into Episode 4... wow... absolutely wow, so well done!

The scene where Vader absolutely kicks the shit out of everyone, fucking hell, amazing amazing amazing!! :o

9/10 for me, better than Force Awakens, probably just below ANH and Empire for me. But above Return

Same.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:27:19 pm by PhilV »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »
Yes but the ship they were on wasnt from yavin 4 was it? That was only the x and y wings. The rebels all split after that meeting so probably went back to their own planets. They were on the mon calamari ship which wasnt from yavin 4

Will have a mooch next time i watch it
Wasn't it they were on Yavin 4, got onto the Tantiv V, which was attached to Ackbar's dad's ship, and then went to the battle?

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »
Don't think so. Didnt they intercept a transmission on yavin 4 saying that akhbars dad was joining the fight so sent the x wings and y wings to help? 

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »
Maybe mentioned before but what about the Bothans?
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »
They died getting the plans for the second Death Star.

Don't think so. Didnt they intercept a transmission on yavin 4 saying that akhbars dad was joining the fight so sent the x wings and y wings to help? 
Hmm, I'd have to see it again, but perhaps the Tantiv went with the x and y wings, and then got into Acbar's dad's ship. mid battle, to retrieve the plans.

This is the problem with stupid fan service.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2016, 06:14:18 pm »
Why have Donnie Yen in your movie if you're not going to utilize the bad-ass mother fucker?

As for the movie, some good, some bad.

Actually thought the Droid was cool, I hate Big Bang and don't really understand the Sheldon comparison at all.  ???

CGI Leia looked on point, CGI Tarkin looked like a PS4 render.

7.5/10.
:D

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »

You mean Admiral Raddus? He's a member of the Mon Calamari race. He is from the polar region of the planet (hence Blue), Ackbar is from the tropical part (hence Red) - I don't think they are father and son - or even related.

My god, I am a geek :-[ - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Calamari

In a bit of exposition around 1h 35min in... on Yavin IV a Rebel Private approaches Mon Mothma and a couple of Officers and tells them they've just intercepted an Imperial transmission that there are Rebels on Scarif - Mothma says she must talk with Raddus, and the Rebel Private tells her that Admiral Raddus has already left and that he (Raddus) is going to fight.

Mothma and the Officers decide to then send in the X-Wings and Y-Wings stationed at Yavin IV to help.

There were a few Tantive-type Corellian CR Corvettes - aka 'Blockade Runners') in the battle above Scarif (we see a few destroyed/damaged) - the one that escaped with Leia onboard was the Tantive IV - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tantive_IV - which was docked in Raddus' disabled Capital Flagship, the Profundity, during the battle.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Profundity
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:23:39 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:31 pm »

wrong death star.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:41 pm »
You mean Admiral Raddus? He's a member of the Mon Calamari race. He is from the polar region of the planet (hence Blue), Ackbar is from the tropical part (hence Red) - I don't think they are father and son - or even related.

My god, I am a geek :-[ - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Calamari

In a bit of exposition around 1h 35min in... on Yavin IV a Rebel Private approaches Mon Mothma and a couple of Officers and tells them they've intercepted an Imperial transmission that there are Rebels on Scarif - Mothma says she must talk with Raddus, and the Rebel Private tells her that Admiral Raddus has already left and that he is going to fight.

Mothma and the Officers decide to then send in the X-Wings and Y-Wings stationed at Yavin IV to help.

There were a few Tantive-type Corellian CR Corvettes - aka 'Blockade Runners') in the battle above Scarif (we see a few destroyed/damaged) - the one that escaped with Leia onboard was the Tantive IV - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tantive_IV - which was docked in Raddus' disabled Capital Flagship, the Profundity, during the battle.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Profundity
Didn't know the names and thought thats the easiest way to describe him which seems to have worked :D

So in all that are you saying they left yavin 4 after the xwings and y wings left (as r2 and 3po watched them leave), caught them up then docked with MR BLACKs ship rather than fighting and then did a runner with the plans?

Defo reckon them standing next to leia was the way to go :D

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2016, 07:32:35 pm »
Didn't know the names and thought thats the easiest way to describe him which seems to have worked :D

So in all that are you saying they left yavin 4 after the xwings and y wings left (as r2 and 3po watched them leave), caught them up then docked with MR BLACKs ship rather than fighting and then did a runner with the plans?

Defo reckon them standing next to leia was the way to go :D

Aye, somehow C3P0 and R2 got onto the Tantive IV - which left after we see the X-Wings and Y-Wings left for Scarif - and somehow caught up with, and then docked in, Raddus' command ship... it seems weird...

(if they docked in Raddus' ship later during the battle - ie, after it was disabled - to help evacuate fellow Rebels then I suppose it all works out)

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »
Similar to the two guys from the cantina in ep 4 being in that city as it blows up. They throw these characters in for the sake of it, spin off film, escape from jeddah (or whatever its called) :D

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2016, 07:37:42 pm »
btw was there an after credits scene?

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »
I think im the only person who actually really loved Tarkin, the CG was a little on the line, but the political battling between him and Krennic was great, they really hinted at a much deeper rivalry between the pair. Also fun, if you watch A New Hope now, in the scene with Tarkin where Vader chokes that officer, theres an empty chair at that table, I assume that was Krennic's.
I thought when I watched it, blimey that actor doesn't half look like Peter Cushing, commented so to my missus afterwards.  I had no idea it was a CGI until after, thought it was a lookalike!!  :o

I had no idea they had planned to do this so was a pleasant surprise

The film as a whole was fantastic, much darker than any other Star Wars film and ties in seamlessly to a New Hope
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »
Why have Donnie Yen in your movie if you're not going to utilize the bad-ass mother fucker?

cos they don't historically make much money in asian markets