Author Topic: Rogue One - 2 Siths, 1 Saber  (Read 30048 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rogue One spoiler friendly discussion
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2016, 09:07:46 pm »
Just got back from watching it.  My initial thoughts:

It's the dog's bollocks.

Slightly expanded thoughts:

I felt Krennic was a bit peripheral in the movie; always playing catch up to what was going on around him.  Clearly not a man as in control as he would like to think he is, but an interesting perspective to see how he is in the middle of the pecking order, bullying and being bullied.  I think his main function was just to give the movie a focal point when it flipped back to the bad guys.  As a villain I found him a bit weak, but maybe that was the point.

I've heard some complaints that Vader isn't in the movie enough.  It's not a film about Vader though, and for what he does his inclusion was most satisfying.

I've also noted some criticism on the lack of character backstory, but this is a one shot movie.  There's no trilogy here to build up the characters' pasts and futures.  I thought the characters were handled well - enough that you as the viewer bonded with them, without being distracted by their histories.  Really liked the droid; as a character he was impressive.

Tarkin was a complete surprise.  I'd heard hints of a CGI character with a major role but I actually thought it might have been the Emperor - I didn't think they would be so bold as to recreate Tarkin.  It was a brave move, and a pleasing one.  From a purely technical standpoint yes, he was far from convincing; Gollum - nearly 15 years ago now - still looks more real.  But I could easily suspend my disbelief and appreciate the effort made to include him.

On the subject of unexpected characters, I was gobsmacked to see Red and Gold leaders, although in hindsight I should have expected them.  Kind of surprised Biggs didn't make an appearance now!

The Death Star itself was about as beautifully monstrous as you might expect.  The weapon firing in the context of modern special effects was breathtaking.  I like the fact the the fatal flaw was deliberately built in, but it does raise the question of how the second station comes about - with the plans stolen, the storage facility destroyed, and the chief engineers massacred, who was left with the expertise to build a new one?

The space battle itself, well watching two Imperial Star Destroyers get crushed is about as epic as anybody might expect.  And you feel the desperation as the battle turns with Vader's arrival.

Overall, I knew from the first trailer that this would be a far superior film to TFA, and that is most definitely the case.  It has pretty much everything.  Incidentally, I like the fact that the trailers used footage not included in the final film.  Might have wrong footed a couple of people trying to guess the story line.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:11:43 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2016, 10:07:47 pm »
I've also noted some criticism on the lack of character backstory, but this is a one shot movie.  There's no trilogy here to build up the characters' pasts and futures.  I thought the characters were handled well - enough that you as the viewer bonded with them, without being distracted by their histories.  Really liked the droid; as a character he was impressive.

Seen this thought a few times - a good movie shouldn't rely on sequels to flesh out the characters. You can compare this to pretty much any war movie and it falls flat on it's face with character development.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2016, 10:28:21 pm »
Seen this thought a few times - a good movie shouldn't rely on sequels to flesh out the characters. You can compare this to pretty much any war movie and it falls flat on it's face with character development.

It's not meant to be Saving Private Ryan.  I had no problem with the character development.  It was a two hour plus film and I didn't feel any sense of lack in this department. 

As reference, the 1982 The Thing had zero characterisation and falls far harder on it's face.  Doesn't stop it being a great movie though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2016, 10:50:31 pm »
Always suspected the second death star was already in production so not built quickly as a result of the first kerploding. That not the case?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »
It's not meant to be Saving Private Ryan.  I had no problem with the character development.  It was a two hour plus film and I didn't feel any sense of lack in this department. 

As reference, the 1982 The Thing had zero characterisation and falls far harder on it's face.  Doesn't stop it being a great movie though.

SPR is a great example of a good movie with good characters that didn't need sequels and prequels to make them interesting, yes.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2016, 11:00:24 pm »
Always suspected the second death star was already in production so not built quickly as a result of the first kerploding. That not the case?

No mate, I thought the same as you (why not build another one whilst we're building this first Death Star, just in case?)

According to this - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_II - the Empire started work on it after the 1st one was destroyed by some crop dusting farmer ;) 

The second Death Star was destroyed 4 years after the first one was.

(I suppose it makes sense they could build it a lot quicker as they'd likely ironed out the kinks and design problems from the 1st one... except that flying through narrow corridor/trench and firing a torpedo at something)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:07:51 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2016, 11:43:59 pm »
There was already a lot of jumping around at the start of the film, adding even more in to show some more of the rebels doing bad things would've made it worse. I feel like they showed enough anyway, Cassian killed an ally who was risking his life to get info for him, he accepted a mission to assassinate a possible friendly in Galen and lied to his allies about it, he shot a rebel fighter to save Jyn on Jedha and his leader bombed the platform that Jyn and her father were both on, killing the latter.

Not only that mate - but Cassian reminds us that he and the band of Rebels, who have agreed to go to Scarif and fight with Jyn, just what they've been through for their cause. I thought it was a quality speech - superbly delivered by Diego Luna, hitting home the grey - even the dark side - of the Rebellion:-

Cassian: "We'd like to volunteer... Some of us... most of us... we've all done terrible things on behalf of the Rebellion. Spies. Saboteurs. Assassins. Everything I did I did for the Rebellion. Every time I wanted to walk away from something I wanted to forget... I told myself it was for a cause I believed in. A cause that was worth it. Now that we're lost - everything we have done would have been for nothing. I can't face myself if I gave up now... none of us could..."
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2016, 09:24:50 am »
SPR is a great example of a good movie with good characters that didn't need sequels and prequels to make them interesting, yes.

Yes, but I'm not sure whether to be amused or concerned that people are looking for deep, meaningful character development in a Star Wars movie. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2016, 09:32:09 am »
Not only that mate - but Cassian reminds us that he and the band of Rebels, who have agreed to go to Scarif and fight with Jyn, just what they've been through for their cause. I thought it was a quality speech - superbly delivered by Diego Luna, hitting home the grey - even the dark side - of the Rebellion:-

Cassian: "We'd like to volunteer... Some of us... most of us... we've all done terrible things on behalf of the Rebellion. Spies. Saboteurs. Assassins. Everything I did I did for the Rebellion. Every time I wanted to walk away from something I wanted to forget... I told myself it was for a cause I believed in. A cause that was worth it. Now that we're lost - everything we have done would have been for nothing. I can't face myself if I gave up now... none of us could..."

I loved that speech.  I actually found it very moving.  If the Rebellion quits, then in Cassian's mind he becomes nothing more than a heartless, murdering thug, who has killed without mercy for no reason; no different from Saw's extremists.  Worse, in the sense they have never pretended to be anything other than what they are, whilst Cassian has clung to some sense of nobility to justify his actions.  It's probably the only way he sleeps at night.

It's easy enough to read between the lines of what he is saying.  It's classic cinema "show don't tell".  The speech is simple enough to resonate with younger audience members, but ambiguous enough that adults can guess at what is left unsaid. 

Compare it to Lucas' spoon fed reams of exposition in the prequels and you get the idea.

Popcorn's Art

Offline james791

• Kopite
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2016, 12:48:53 pm »
Loved it a lot more than i was expecting to, to be honest.

CGI Tarkin/Leia-not nearly as bad as some people are making out. Technically they were outstanding-they are a good yardstick to show that we arent that far off totally convinving CGI humans now (Work on the tweening algorithms notwithstanding)

Yes there are problems with it, but I can forgive them all with that final third. The Darth Vader bit with the rebels frantically trying to pass the plans on was tense as hell. Any movie that can have me on the edge of my seat like that when i know whats going to happen anyway gets the thumbs up from me.

It almost felt like it was over too soon. Can't wait until a decent quality version shows up so i can watch this and ANH back to back.

"No dont actually do it! Have some self re-cocking-spect"

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »
Saw it tonight, enjoyed it well enough, it's miles better than the prequels and a step above TFA, but every now and then something would happen that bothered me, most of which have already been mentioned. I will give them props for killing of the entire crew on Skariff, was worried they might leave one or twos fate ambiguous, or imply some escaped and would head to Alderaan to speak to the senate, something like that.

I'd probably give it a frustrating 7, because with a few tweaks it could have been amazing. Bit worried that the Darth Vader hallway scene in this movie is going to sum up the Disney-Star Wars relationship, we'll only get glimpses of something truly ambitious, rest of the time things will be fairly safe and designed by committee.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2016, 03:34:36 pm »
Yes, but I'm not sure whether to be amused or concerned that people are looking for deep, meaningful character development in a Star Wars movie. ;)

I think "good characters" is fairly easy to do, based on the OT at least. There's no interest in making that sort of effort though, as far as I can tell.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »
I think "good characters" is fairly easy to do, based on the OT at least. There's no interest in making that sort of effort though, as far as I can tell.

I don't think that's fair at all. Firstly, the characters in both these films are a million times better than those in the prequels. They're a bit better in TFA than R1, but that's to be expected as they had more time to establish their backstories and they were setting them up for the next two films.

Secondly, the characters in the OT were not exactly deep, but they were well written, and perfect for the type of story they were telling. And it's the same with the new characters - they're likeable (or the opposite if they're the villains), believable and you care what happens to them (unlike in the prequels). And if you think back to 1977, would people have thought that the biggest strength of ANH was it's characters? I think quite a few people (other than little kids) would've thought that Luke was a bit whiny and one-dimensional - his character development came later. At this point, Rey is a better character than Luke was at the end of ANH.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »
I don't think that's fair at all. Firstly, the characters in both these films are a million times better than those in the prequels. They're a bit better in TFA than R1, but that's to be expected as they had more time to establish their backstories and they were setting them up for the next two films.

Secondly, the characters in the OT were not exactly deep, but they were well written, and perfect for the type of story they were telling. And it's the same with the new characters - they're likeable (or the opposite if they're the villains), believable and you care what happens to them (unlike in the prequels). And if you think back to 1977, would people have thought that the biggest strength of ANH was it's characters? I think quite a few people (other than little kids) would've thought that Luke was a bit whiny and one-dimensional - his character development came later. At this point, Rey is a better character than Luke was at the end of ANH.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, no way can I ever tolerate the idea that Rey is a good character at all. At least not yet.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »
And it's the same with the new characters - they're likeable (or the opposite if they're the villains), believable and you care what happens to them (unlike in the prequels).

Cassian and Saw are not likeable. They have done some truly despicable things. But the film is that much better not having all saccharine characters.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2016, 06:13:18 pm »
Cassian and Saw are not likeable. They have done some truly despicable things. But the film is that much better not having all saccharine characters.

OK if not likeable, they're interesting and you can be on their side, despite what they might have done. Whereas in the prequels, most of the characters were so bland / lifeless / annoying that you didn't care about what happened to them, even when you were meant to be on their side because they were the 'good guys'.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »
I thought it was great, not as good as TFA but not far off. Also I didn't realise Tarkin wasn't the real actor until I got home and remembered there's 40 odd years between the original trilogy and this film ;D Strange that the CGI Leia was obvious but CGI Tarkin looked so real.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2016, 10:09:37 pm »
Enjoyable but no great shakes.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2016, 10:48:19 pm »
I thought it was great, not as good as TFA but not far off. Also I didn't realise Tarkin wasn't the real actor until I got home and remembered there's 40 odd years between the original trilogy and this film ;D Strange that the CGI Leia was obvious but CGI Tarkin looked so real.

There's actually cam footage knocking about on youtube of the Vader and Tarkin scenes.  I've watched a couple of clips of the Grand Moff again just now and I'm increasingly blown away, both by the balls to take the risk to include him and the obvious effort to try and make him convincing.

I feel this film gives Tarkin back his proper place within the cinema SW mythology.  The cgi effort is far from perfect but I found myself easily suspending my disbelief out of sheer respect.  They could easily have given those lines to Vader - you can stick any tall guy in the suit.  But went for something special and credit to them for it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:50:09 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »

Well imagine you're watching ANH for the first time (difficult I know!)

Who gets character development?  Tarkin gets zilch, Solo gets virtually zilch; Leia, what do we learn of her backstory?  The droids?  The only real characters who get any kind of development are Luke, Ben and Vader, and Vader's is incidental through his connection with Kenobi - and he's only in about a third of the film! 

When you think about it, the only real thing that gets any kind of development is the Force!  Other than that, the original Star Wars, in the modern cut throat world of Internet analysis, is woefully short on meaningful characterisation, whether it's good guys or bad.  Doesn't make it any less enjoyable though. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2016, 11:05:54 pm »
Well imagine you're watching ANH for the first time (difficult I know!)

Who gets character development?  Tarkin gets zilch, Solo gets virtually zilch; Leia, what do we learn of her backstory?  The droids?  The only real characters who get any kind of development are Luke, Ben and Vader, and Vader's is incidental through his connection with Kenobi - and he's only in about a third of the film! 

When you think about it, the only real thing that gets any kind of development is the Force!  Other than that, the original Star Wars, in the modern cut throat world of Internet analysis, is woefully short on meaningful characterisation, whether it's good guys or bad.  Doesn't make it any less enjoyable though. :)

Han Solo is a good character though. Leia is. Luke is hit and miss. Vader is. Obi Wan is. You can be a good character without being "developed". Jyn moves the plot along. Rey is a godhuman. Poe is a quippy Marvel guy. So is the robot. It's all so blah.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:32 pm »
I loved that speech.  I actually found it very moving.  If the Rebellion quits, then in Cassian's mind he becomes nothing more than a heartless, murdering thug, who has killed without mercy for no reason; no different from Saw's extremists.  Worse, in the sense they have never pretended to be anything other than what they are, whilst Cassian has clung to some sense of nobility to justify his actions.  It's probably the only way he sleeps at night.

It's easy enough to read between the lines of what he is saying.  It's classic cinema "show don't tell".  The speech is simple enough to resonate with younger audience members, but ambiguous enough that adults can guess at what is left unsaid. 

Compare it to Lucas' spoon fed reams of exposition in the prequels and you get the idea.

Completely agree, mate. Would've like to have seen more Cassian in the SW universe - quite an interesting character, same of most of the main R1 crew too. Thought Gareth Edwards got the pacing and balance just right with the amount of time given for the characters - in amidst the action of Star Wars war film - and fair play to him.

And in comparison to the Prequel Trilogy it seems Star Wars is once again finding it's way with the force again - especially with Rouge One :)  That said it possibly requires the bar raised - or for something different - for Episode VIII... roll on next December!

Just back from 3rd viewing at the cinema - the cgi doesn't stand out on Tarkin and Leia as it did for me the first time - probably because there is something in your mind telling you you know they aren't the real actors - maybe looking for the flaws/faults etc - because yet on repeat viewings they just aren't as noticeable (for me, anyway) as you're not paying them that type of attention - and are listening to what they are saying and how it affects the plot/story.

It's a bit like Maz in TFA; the 1st time I saw her it took me out of the movie a little as it was more obvious she was cgi character in relation to the rest of the film - with real sets and actors, yet on repeat viewings.... not so much, and the focus is on her character and to what she adds.

Rogue One director says its original ending was very different:-

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:01:14 am by oojason »

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2016, 03:38:15 am »
Saw it on the premiere, going again in the next few days to see it in 2D.

Thought it was great, though. Really love getting the "old school" Star Wars-feel again after those rubbish prequels.

Had a chuckle when the guy who tracks starships taking off and landing at the rebel base was caught off guard as Rogue One jetted off ;D

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2016, 06:04:05 am »
This might be my favorite Star Wars movie.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2016, 07:37:11 am »
Han Solo is a good character though. Leia is. Luke is hit and miss. Vader is. Obi Wan is. You can be a good character without being "developed". Jyn moves the plot along. Rey is a godhuman. Poe is a quippy Marvel guy. So is the robot. It's all so blah.

Luke is hit or miss, and he's the central character!  I think Jyn is a good character; I also think Cassian is a good character.  Rey is also a good character; I'm not prejudiced by her advanced force powers being shoehorned into TFA.  Flynn is a good character.  Dexter Jexter is not a good character; Jar Jar Binks is a horrendous character. :P

Maybe I am just easily pleased, or can put myself in a simpler mindset when watching a film like this, but as I said, if you're looking for strong, rounded, fully developed characters in the 21st century movie world you shouldn't go looking for them in Star Wars. ;)

PS: If anybody is interested, Screen Junkies News have a very good video out talking about the trailers and the footage shown in them that wasn't actually in the movie.  I think this hints where the reshoots altered the feel and final outcome of the movie.

For example, (and I'm just guessing here) I suspect that, originally, Krennic was a far stronger villain; the scene in the trailer between him and Vader suggests he might have been trying to play Vader and Tarkin off against one another, or trying to recruit Vader as an ally in a power struggle.

Vader was actually played by two actors in Rogue One; at first I thought that was because they needed somebody to do the lightsabre scene at the end, but why have a separate actor for that when you could hire a single actor capable of doing both?  Makes me wonder that there were some Vader reshoots and the original actor wasn't available for them. 

I suspect the opening Vader scene on the lava planet is a reshoot meant to depict Krennic as more simpering and slightly out of his depth.  (I said in my initial review that I thought Krennic was a bit weak and peripheral for a main villain.)  Or it could be the lightsabre battle at the end was the reshoot because somebody decided last minute they needed Vader to be a complete badass to give the film an epic climax.  That might explain why the Leia Organa CGI looks so awful compared to the obvious care taken with Tarkin.

I will admit, that scene in the middle of the film with Galen Erso relaxing with Krennic felt an out of place to me.  It was as though it was just dropped in at the last minute.  It was the only scene in the film I found jarring and I wonder if it was also a reshoot.

People have complained about the scene where Jyn breaks down crying over the hologram of her father; something along the lines of there's too little emotional weight to the characters.  I can't help but wonder if there was material that ended up on the cutting room floor that would have added some depth to this scene, but again I was okay with it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:49:31 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2016, 07:48:16 am »

Just back from 3rd viewing at the cinema - the cgi doesn't stand out on Tarkin and Leia as it did for me the first time - probably because there is something in your mind telling you you know they aren't the real actors - maybe looking for the flaws/faults etc - because yet on repeat viewings they just aren't as noticeable (for me, anyway) as you're not paying them that type of attention - and are listening to what they are saying and how it affects the plot/story.

I think it's jarring the first time around because you're not expecting Tarkin; in that sense he REALLY stands out.  By the time at the end you realise it's the Tantive IV escaping, you're mentally prepared for Leia, so again she just leaps out at you.  Once you accept them both into the story I think it becomes easier. :)

Rogue One director says its original ending was very different:-

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards

Yeah, again this ties in with the Screen Junkies News article.  There's a scene on the beach with Jyn and Cassian running, and Jyn is clearly holding the Death Star plans.  You also see Krennic doing his water crossing scene which isn't in the movie. 

I've not read the article but I'm guessing the showdown on the tower was the new climax, maybe to give Krennic and Jyn a stronger confrontation.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJ0oae861U

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2016, 11:44:19 am »

Yeah, again this ties in with the Screen Junkies News article.  There's a scene on the beach with Jyn and Cassian running, and Jyn is clearly holding the Death Star plans.  You also see Krennic doing his water crossing scene which isn't in the movie. 

I've not read the article but I'm guessing the showdown on the tower was the new climax, maybe to give Krennic and Jyn a stronger confrontation.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJ0oae861U

Nice one, ta (love the screenjunkies Honest Trailers too :)). Some quality pics/videos and more info on it here too:-

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Douze-plans-des-trailers-de-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-qui-ne-sont-pas-dans-le-film
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-missing-trailer-footage/
https://vimeo.com/196155136
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZjqmmL-24
http://collider.com/rogue-one-deleted-scenes-trailers/#teaser-trailer
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/5ig950/shotslines_in_the_rogue_one_teaser_that_arent_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/5ilwpr/rogue_one_removed_edited_changed_scenes_from_all/
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Rogue-Zero-What-was-changed-reshot-etc-in-Rogue-One/id/52626/page/1
the 'behind the scenes' video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEsGCtcw5R0 also have a fair few scenes that didn't make it to the final cut

and a good list of near-on all the trailers / tv spots etc - https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/4wnt6u/rogue_one_up_to_date_list_of_all_trailers_tv/

Hope we see some of these deleted / alternative scenes on the dvd or bluray. It's up for a pre-order on amazon at £12.99 and £15.99 - no release date given yet - though likely be April-ish if we go on the TFA release - which could mean a tv premier in August-ish).

Screener versions of Rogue One have been sent out 'for consideration' to various awards type-people/judges etc - be interesting if one was to leak out on the net... (despite some reasonable quality cam versions already knocking about)...

Also seems there is a 4K version of Star Wars (1977) - http://www.techradar.com/news/star-wars-iv-in-4k-already-exists-so-lets-get-excited-about-a-public-release? - am not expecting a quality release (likely to be a 'Special Edition') - but good to know a version out there, if released, could help the lads at the ot.com complete and enhance their efforts ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:20:26 pm by oojason »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2016, 12:28:27 pm »
How wrong was the lack of star wars intro music and scrolling text though

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »
How wrong was the lack of star wars intro music and scrolling text though

I didn't miss the scrolling text, and actually didn't mind the score until "Rogue One" flashed up on the screen.  Then I actually cringed.  The music seemed totally disjointed for the tone of the film.  I would have preferred something far quieter and more subdued.

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2016, 12:51:48 pm »
I can honestly say I barely noticed the music at all.

Online Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2016, 12:52:07 pm »
I didn't miss the scrolling text, and actually didn't mind the score until "Rogue One" flashed up on the screen.  Then I actually cringed.  The music seemed totally disjointed for the tone of the film.  I would have preferred something far quieter and more subdued.

Same here - the lack of opening scroll and music wasn't that bad - but Rogue One popping up didn't look good.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2016, 12:52:58 pm »
Don't mind during the film but nothing better in the cinema than having the star wars music booming out at the start and end

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2016, 01:02:33 pm »
I wish Tracy could have watched this film, years ago when she was at college she had to do a presentation and she choose to do one on the history of CGI and computer graphics in the movies.

and at the end she had to guess what would happen in the future and she said not to far away they will bring back a dead actor to star in and act in a movie and the only way you would know it was CGI is because you know he is dead and if the person next to him was also CGI you would just take him for real because your brain won't be telling you he must be CGI.

She would have loved Tarkin.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2016, 02:05:45 pm »
On a lighter note, not a bad point on this movie and I KNOW it's for plot devices but imagine Star Wars tech in a real future world...

Ok so we have FTL travel, spaceships that are over 1KM long, stations the sizes of moons/planetoids... but we don't have cloud storage or seemingly wifi or unified controls... like, who designs a control where to turn a dish you have to leave the control station that does all the other communication dish tasks, to go to a small walkway dangling over an edge, to the outside of said walkway to simply flick a switch... hahaha it's so bad

Also the data gets sent to the ship but cannot be put on various mediums, only on a single diskette.

SW tech is fucking wank.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Superb film - loved it!

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »
On a lighter note, not a bad point on this movie and I KNOW it's for plot devices but imagine Star Wars tech in a real future world...

Ok so we have FTL travel, spaceships that are over 1KM long, stations the sizes of moons/planetoids... but we don't have cloud storage or seemingly wifi or unified controls... like, who designs a control where to turn a dish you have to leave the control station that does all the other communication dish tasks, to go to a small walkway dangling over an edge, to the outside of said walkway to simply flick a switch... hahaha it's so bad

Also the data gets sent to the ship but cannot be put on various mediums, only on a single diskette.

SW tech is fucking wank.
Medichlorians fault  ;D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »

SW tech is fucking wank.

All software is insecure. The requirement for a physical presence is a security measure. You can tell how insecure all of their systems are - the droids can interface to any system. The incorporation of quantum computing means that any code is crackable - thus there is no reliance on computer systems that can be trivially hacked.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »
I wish Tracy could have watched this film, years ago when she was at college she had to do a presentation and she choose to do one on the history of CGI and computer graphics in the movies.

and at the end she had to guess what would happen in the future and she said not to far away they will bring back a dead actor to star in and act in a movie and the only way you would know it was CGI is because you know he is dead and if the person next to him was also CGI you would just take him for real because your brain won't be telling you he must be CGI.

She would have loved Tarkin.
I'm sure she would mate.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2016, 07:53:44 pm »
Had a chuckle when the guy who tracks starships taking off and landing at the rebel base was caught off guard as Rogue One jetted off ;D

But how does he actually get into that crow's nest thingy in the first place? That's what I've always wondered.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2016, 09:17:47 pm »
But how does he actually get into that crow's nest thingy in the first place? That's what I've always wondered.

Presumably he climbs a ladder of some sort.  If it was good enough for the Titanic it's good enough for Yavin 4.

Plus, did anybody notice how the planet Vader is on is the only one that doesn't get a namecheck?  Presumably it's Mustafar, but we don't actually know for certain.

Popcorn's Art